IGNORED

Lori Alexander 19: Hating Birth Control, Consistency, and Logic

6 hours ago, Hisey said:

Why is it that Lori's posts about childrearing always contains Bible verses about discipline, rods, etc.? Is that all the Bible has to say about raising kids? (I really am asking, I don't know). Has she nothing else to say about childrearing besides "discipline"? 

Your first question: For the same reason as she only quotes verses on marriage that are about submission and doing what you don't like. My theory? She is unhappy and the only verses that resonate with her are ones that mirror her (self induced) hardship. She can no longer absorb the joy that resonates through the Bible. Her life is hard, So that must be biblical, So she must make other people's lives hard as well.

Second question: Yes! Jesus has an extremely high view of children, often used them as an example of faith and humbleness, blessed them,  threatened horrible punishment on those who would cause children to stumble,  and said that those who welcomed children would welcome Him and his Father. And remember the prodigal son? He did not get a beating but a party. 

Paul tells fathers not to be too hard on their children, lest they get discouraged. So that certainly means children should not be disciplined to the point they lose their will, confidence and joy. 

Throughout the OT and NT children are seen as a blessing, a source of joy and pride, not as objects one should beat into shape. Discipline of children is not mentioned often (a handful of times in Proverbs is all I can remember), mostly children themselves are called on to obey/ honor their parents. I think the only time discipline is mentioned in the NT is as an analogy of how God's discipline produces in the believers character and Joy. 

I'd give you the references but I am on my phone...

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During a discussion on emotions, someone on Stuff Fundies Like made the point that children were drawn to Jesus, so he couldn't have been a sourpuss.

I found this gem from L today while reading old posts. 

"I don't see why women cannot play a sport, but I must admit that when they play many sports they look quite unfeminine and go at things in a way one expects from boys and men, not women. Are the feminine qualities of grace, kindness, gentleness, nurturing, care, helping others up when they fall and caring for them being developed when they play? Now, watch your daughter play basketball and soccer and tell me how feminine the sport looks as one young lady drives to the basket or towards the hoop and an opposing girl is taught to slide tackle her or knock her to the ground. Quite unfeminine, in my opinion!" 

Bullshit. 

Also she linked to this guy that she loves:https://deepstrength.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/what-i-look-for-in-evaluating-a-potential-wife/ 

who led me to this: https://donalgraeme.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/evaluating-the-intangible/

Lori's post today is a throwback about the dangers of sleepovers.

I am having a hard time making sense of this reply to one of her readers.

Reader:

Did you kids stay overnight with your parents?

Lori:

I was too sick to leave them much but yes, they stayed with my parents and we trusted them completely!

What does Lori being sick have to do with her kids staying over at their grandparents?  

Such a weird response.  Almost like she was looking for an opportunity to remind her readers how sick she's always been, so she just trotted it out there, even though it made absolutely no sense.

I think Lori is assuming the only scenario in which her kids would stay with Gaprandma and Grandpa would be if she and Ken left for a weekend or something. She can't comprehend that children might sleep over at grandparents' house just because it's fun. Perhaps her parents would not keep them unless there was a "true reason" for it. 

It makes me sad, actually. My mother used to call and ask if one or both kids could come for a night or two. Of course, my children were always begging to sleep over at either granparents' house.   My in-laws never actually thought to initiate a sleepover but they were always thrilled when we called and said "The kids are asking to stay a couple nights with you. Are you free anytime soon?" 

Evil Women's retreat update 2:

A coworker who is also on the trip and I did discuss another co-worker  who was very good but recently quit after being done wrong.  It was a shame to lose her. Our boss should have done more to keep her.  

Does that count as gossip?

Still no husband bashing though.

And did y'all know the Bible has more in it than Titus 2 and 1 Peter?

We learned about a book called Galatians and how God does not give us a spirit of fear.  

Lori first ranted against the dangers of sleepovers before the Josh Duggar revelations. Her reasons against sleepovers were fears that children would be molested by fathers or other males in the home. She used an article written by Rachel Campos Duffy, whose husband Sean is a former prosecutor and now a Congressman. Rachel's article said that her husband prosecuted sex crimes that were committed in homes that people thought were good.  Lori ranted again against sleepovers sometime after she defended Josh Duggar. She and Ken conveniently ignore that Josh molested a babysitter who slept over at the Duggar home.  We all know that she repeats the same topics over and over again. It's still funny to see how she changes up topics a bit.

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

I found this gem from L today while reading old posts. 

"I don't see why women cannot play a sport, but I must admit that when they play many sports they look quite unfeminine and go at things in a way one expects from boys and men, not women. Are the feminine qualities of grace, kindness, gentleness, nurturing, care, helping others up when they fall and caring for them being developed when they play? Now, watch your daughter play basketball and soccer and tell me how feminine the sport looks as one young lady drives to the basket or towards the hoop and an opposing girl is taught to slide tackle her or knock her to the ground. Quite unfeminine, in my opinion!" 

Bullshit. 

Also she linked to this guy that she loves:https://deepstrength.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/what-i-look-for-in-evaluating-a-potential-wife/ 

who led me to this: https://donalgraeme.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/evaluating-the-intangible/

My husband and I took up curling this year.  He certainly enjoyed watching me from behind as I got into the delivery position in the hack.

What is WITH these people and their inability to distinguish between "goggles" and "google"? From good old Donal Graeme: "While it might be fleeting, it is important to help establish “wife googles” ... Wife googles ... WIFE GOOGLES. I just can't.

1 hour ago, Koala said:

What does Lori being sick have to do with her kids staying over at their grandparents?  

Such a weird response.  Almost like she was looking for an opportunity to remind her readers how sick she's always been, so she just trotted it out there, even though it made absolutely no sense.

Maybe she needed her kids to help her, or rather to wait hand and foot on her, so they couldn't leave to do anything fun on their own. 

In fact, this is what gets my vote.

23 minutes ago, polecat said:

Maybe she needed her kids to help her, or rather to wait hand and foot on her, so they couldn't leave to do anything fun on their own. 

That's what I was thinking as well.  

Alyssa's posted a really heartfelt word on body image today.

No prizes for guessing who told her she had to lose weight...

5 hours ago, love2scrap said:

Alyssa's posted a really heartfelt word on body image today.

No prizes for guessing who told her she had to lose weight...

No...Ken himself came here and admitted that it was him.  Lori admitted on her blog that it was her. Both justified their actions.

They were both complicit in this.  They should be ashamed.  They aren't, but they should be.

Alyssa sounds like a very strong person.

That makes me really just want to hug Alyssa. I know she probably has some pretty abhorrent views, but look what she came from. Of all the kids of bet she's the most well adjusted. I really do feel for her. She does everything her mother preaches against: wears leggings, works, doesn't have children (though j gather that's not her choice). But you know the poor girl gets harassed by Lori and is told that it's her own fault she can't have kids. I really just want to hug her I feel so bad for her.

13 hours ago, polecat said:

You know, I had never thought of that. That makes perfect sense. We all know Ken wasn't going to take care of her. This gives me a whole new reason to feel bad for the childhood those kids had. Having a sick mother does not have to mean a lousy chilhood, but with an absent and uncaring father and a very domineering "patient," tnose kids didn't stand a chance. 

42 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

That makes me really just want to hug Alyssa. I know she probably has some pretty abhorrent views, but look what she came from. Of all the kids of bet she's the most well adjusted. I really do feel for her. She does everything her mother preaches against: wears leggings, works, doesn't have children (though j gather that's not her choice). But you know the poor girl gets harassed by Lori and is told that it's her own fault she can't have kids. I really just want to hug her I feel so bad for her.

Has Lori ever mentioned her not having kids? I heard there was a dig when they got a puppy but since I've started reading  Lori seems to ignore her oldest daughter. 

2 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

She has a dancers' blog, and she seems to post pretty positive, uplifting things (although I admittedly haven't read all of it). She writes things like:

The truth of the matter is you are amazing!  You are beautifully-made.   And no matter what level you are at, your body type, or the quality of your technique, you deserve to dance.  It is your right and no one can take that from you.  Be thankful for your gift and let your light shine.

I can't imagine anything like that ever coming out of her mom's fingers. She seems like she has a sensitive, beautiful, strong soul, and I think she ran as far and as fast from her parents as soon as she could. I'm glad. I wish her siblings could/would have done the same. 

Has Lori ever mentioned her not having kids? I heard there was a dig when they got a puppy but since I've started reading  Lori seems to ignore her oldest daughter. 

I seem to remember some sort of comments before, but I've had to take a break from reading the actual blog because I found myself in an unhealthy mental state because of her so my memory may not be 100%. 

I can't even imagine what having Lori as a mother would be like. My mom can be bitchy about my housekeeping and stuff but she's nowhere near as horrible as Lori.

I recall an FJer said that Lori or Ken said that Alyssa was dealing with fertility issues in the comment section of the blog.  I think that was a year or two ago. Maybe, Alyssa and her husband accepted it and have decided not to pursue other ways of starting a  family and that pissed off Lori.

Was just digging on her YouTube video and L. did a video about her kids. She said her oldest daughter was looking into adoption. 

1 minute ago, EowynW said:

Was just digging on her YouTube video and L. did a video about her kids. She said her oldest daughter was looking into adoption. 

I have wondered if Alyssa and Jon would look into adoption. In a way, that kind of scares me because I could see Lori saying fucked  up things about potential birth moms who may get involved with Alyssa and Jon. Or, what if they adopt and Alyssa continues to teach dance classes and that could also really piss off Lori.

Just discovered this fundy train wreck of a so-called human being, and wow.  I feel like I need a shower.  What a vile, awful person she is.  Going back in to read more.  

I just had to creep on my "lately she's found Jesus and won't shut the hell up about him" cousin's FB page.  She posted some garbage on her husband's birthday about how godly he was (he's a total alcoholic and sleaze bag) and how she can't wait to see how he leads their family.  Yep.  Sure enough, she's a fan of Lori.  Excuse me while I puke my guts out.  That idiot (my cousin) needs help.  That other idiot (Lori) is beyond help.

Props to Alyssa for sounding like a normal, nice human being, who admits frailties and tries to use her experiences to help others who might be going through the same thing.

Double, treble, quadruple props to Alyssa for becoming that person without any help from her mother.

:clap::clap::clap:

This morning I was reading Liahona (monthly magazine for LDS church), this months copy contains all the speeches from the General Conferens held in april. While I was reading the speeches given by women at the General Women´s Session I was thinking of Lori.

Lori claims to be a teatcher and mentor for women - but the only thing I can see on her Facebook and blog is disdain for women. If you read her writings without knowing they are by a woman, you would assume they are written by a very misogynistic man.

How can someone find her rantings to be uplifting? Her fangirls love to feel that they are holier than all these ungodly women Lori loves to quote and trash, all these harlots in yoga pants and bikinis and short skirts. Lori has never, ever anything nice to say about women, never!  All she can do is to put everyone down so she can feel good about her self. 

That Mothers Day writing made me truly sorry. No nice words to all the mothers she claims to mentor, instead an article about to always say yes to you husband and follow his lead!

I hope that those women who try to fit Loris "teatchings" in their lives would find someone else to follow. Someone who actually likes women! 

Sorry for grammar and spelling errors, english is not my native language.

Isn't Lori violating her own bullshit beliefs by teaching others?  Shouldn't she be in the home, focusing on housecleaning, cooking, and whatever the hell else her owner husband wants her to be doing?  She sure seems to spend a lot of time on spreading her hate.  I sure hope hubby isn't being neglected. 

2 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Isn't Lori violating her own bullshit beliefs by teaching others?  Shouldn't she be in the home, focusing on housecleaning, cooking, and whatever the hell else her owner husband wants her to be doing?  She sure seems to spend a lot of time on spreading her hate.  I sure hope hubby isn't being neglected. 

Lori said in that radio interview that Ken was the one who encouraged her to start a blog or write a book.  She probably thinks it's fine  to spending time blogging and running that chat room since Ken encouraged it. I think that might Ken might have encouraged it so Lori wouldn't bother him. But, we have seen Ken white knight Lori many times on the blog and on Facebook.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived