IGNORED

Lori Alexander 19: Hating Birth Control, Consistency, and Logic

12 hours ago, jerkit said:

We bought a house that already had stainless appliances. They're fine. Definitely not more or less holy than our previous black appliances.

In one of my earlier houses, I had urine-yellow appliances. I probably could have tolerated the avocado green of the 70s, but I'm not even sure what decade that gross yellow came belonged in. Anyway, since I rented at the time, I didn't have the luxury of changing them, so I just sucked it up and lived with them until the refrigerator died. Then I had mismatched appliances, lol. Now, my appliances are all white. And I am okay with that. (Oh, BUT I have pink porcelain in my bathroom -- so take THAT, Lori. Straight outta the 50s. HOLY holy HOLY!)

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we bought this house (built in 1912)  it came with urine yellow kitchen appliances with matching scarred and gouged formica counter tops and burn marked and chipping vinyl tile flooring --  from the kitchen redo in 1965.

I preferred to think of them as "gold" but yes they were urine yellow.  We babied them along for 13 years until they just gave up 11 years ago.  Oh FJ-ers and Lori see how holy I was in that I made do with ugly dying appliances that were 51 years old.

Anyway, while renovating the kitchen,  I am ashamed to say that Satan whispered in my ear and the False Prophet Sears of Roebuck called to me. Beguiling and tempting me with stainless steel.  I must confess I succumbed to the stainless temptation. Although with just 2 adults in the house the hand print problem isn't that bad, and Mr. Dress all on his own discovered stainless steel cleaner/polish.

Forgive me for my sin of stainless steel. If only Lori's fangirl had told me sooner that it was a "lie of Satan".

Although I think my sin is mitigated somewhat by still having the original claw foot tubs in the bathrooms.

There is a photo of her new kitchen posted in comments on facebook.  White cabinets now with granite counters. If I recall correctly it sure looks a lot like the kitchen photo she used in recent post from her chatroom. Some of us here were wondering if she was jealous of that kitchen and that is what inspired the remodel.

Lori's kitchen looks too sterile and clean. No personality. 

I'm a bad homemaker this week because my house is in uproar still trying rubbed put back together after the busyness of working in tornado relief, spraining my knee, trying to get the garden in, and us just now realizing our lease is up next week and cleaning for the resigning. (Do landlords inspect upon resigning? we've never rented before and are so clueless about how this works. We haven't seen our landlady since we signed when we got the house.) 

Do landlords inspect upon resigning? we've never rented before and are so clueless about how this works. We haven't seen our landlady since we signed when we got the house.) 

Ours has never had us sign again. The big corporate owned apartments I lived in didn't even do that. Let alone inspect.

Lori explains today that if women submitted enough no one would ever get divorced. Because all divorces are the fault of the woman. Of course.

17 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Lori's kitchen looks too sterile and clean. No personality. 

<snipped for brevity>

Well, we KNOW how clean it really isn't... *coughNorwexcough*

Lori probably agrees that everyone should "march in step with the rest of the white bathroom-loving nation."

@GeoBQn That is priceless!!! 

Going through the comments on the "love of money" doodle...one of the commenters said she recently replaced her 1932 Magic Chef stove with a 1936 Oriole Commercial stove.  Basically praising what is old.  A quick Google search reveals various price levels for such an appliance today.  Ebay has vintage stoves starting around $500 and goes up depending on restoration, unrestored ones are chilling at around $250.  A website devoted to unrestored antique appliances have various makes and models similar to what this lady mentions ranging from $3000 to $12,000, again, depending on restoration levels.  Unless this woman lucked out and found a working model for a couple hundred bucks, someone pleeeeaaase explain to me how this is frugal??  

The washer/dryer set (Almighty White) Honey bought 15 years ago was from the Scratch & Sniff (Dent) section at the Holy Sears & Roebuck outlet we used to have.  Two dryer replacements later, this last one was also a scratch and dent special from Promised Land of Best Buy.  Again...Almighty Holy White.  As a matter fact...he bought all the kitchen/laundry appliances from the Sears outlet...15 years ago.  We've replaced a couple parts on the fridge in that time and the ice maker no longer feeds but they're going strong.  The purchases were not blessed however, he did charge them (gasp! debt!) and subsequently got screwed by Sears' collection agent.  Would I like new appliances?  Yes.  Simply because I'm tired of scrubbing the old ones that never quite get clean and I'm tired of fixing them.  Will we?  No.  Because right now it's not feasible and would be a waste of resources.  My kitchen/dining room desperately needs some TLC, the wallpaper is peeling and the linoleum has a mind of its own, but even a simple sprucing up isn't in the cards.  As usual, Lori has no idea how fortunate she is.  I guess it's easy to keep a kitchen perfect when all you fix for dinner is rabbit food and soup.  She'd lose her damn mind the first time a gumbo pot boiled over and forced her to scrap that out of the burner well when she's finished cooking.....3 hours later. 

1 minute ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Unless this woman lucked out and found a working model for a couple hundred bucks, someone pleeeeaaase explain to me how this is frugal??  

It's probably not, unless they inherited it or were able to restore it on their own. A lot of these "frugal" tips should really come with an asterisk. A few years ago, a neighbor of mine passed away who had been the sole owner of her house, which was built in the 40s and still had many original appliances. When they had an estate sale almost everyone who turned out wanted the retro kitchen appliances. Old doesn't always equal frugal! You could have bought multiple newer, gently used appliances for what these people paid... because they were paying $$$ for the aesthetic, not the utility. I'd also wager these old appliances don't use electricity as efficiently as newer ones.

Okay it does not rime much, and I left out a bunch of words..but hey

Lori:  I do not like you.

I do not like you in a tree.

Just let us be.

I do not like you in a car.

I do not like you near or far.

Not in a box.

Not with a fox.

Not in a house.

Not with a mouse. I would do not like you here or there.

I do like like you anywhere.

When my parents bought their home about 25 years ago, the house was full on 70s inside. The home was built in the 1970s and didn't seem to have been changed since. It was covered in wallpaper top to bottom, wood paneling in the basement, avocado green kitchen appliances, and a yellow bathroom. Since that time, my parents have removed all the wallpaper, not one piece is left, all the appliances, even the old greenish counter top, have been replaced. They replaced them when they stopped working and ended up with all white currently. They painted the paneling after we discovered that it would be hell to try and remove it for plain walls. The yellow bathroom is still yellow because replacing a working sink, toilet and tub over color is not worth it. My parents did, however, replace all the old tile in the house. The tile was also super 70s-esque. What was it with the 70s and strange patterns and colors in your homes? 

Our current apartment has granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. I have discovered I don't like them very much. The thing about showing up everything is very true. Every little smudge is there. Fridge magnets leave impressions. Every little bit of fingerprint is there. It is also not easy to clean well, leaving very obvious cleaning smudges. I am so not a fan and think it will soon go the wayside in favor of another trend. I hope that trend is not a 1970s design revival because that may just be worse than stainless steel. As annoying as stainless steel can be, it is much easier on the eyes than avocado puke green, dehydrated urine yellow, Pepto-Bismal pink, and robins eggs in a nest blue with brown. 

I may see if I can find some pictures, but I don't give Lori permission to post them to her blog. 

51 minutes ago, December said:

I'd also wager these old appliances don't use electricity as efficiently as newer ones.

Yep. I have an almost 70-year-old boiler and would love to get a new energy-efficient one. But has anyone priced boilers? They're terrifying! So I'm just going to keep using that poor old boiler until it dies. I'm not sure how long boilers live, but as long as it keeps our house warm in the winter, I'll keep using it. It's not about godliness as much as it's about cheapness (or about not-having-money-ness, really). But there aren't really any fancy-looking boilers, so I can't pick any pretty stainless ones. Or pink ones.

In December 2014, I heard of a popular “Christian” mommy blogger so I went to her blog to see what she had to say. The first post I read was about being unsubmissive to her husband and being proud of it. I wrote a blog post about it without naming her called Baby Needs to Be Put in a Corner! (I even used this post in my book.)

A few days ago, this “Christian” woman married another woman after divorcing her husband. 

Lori has posted about this before (at least 3 times),  because she's a busybody, and she likes to carry tales.  She doesn't even have to leave her home...she gossips from the comfort of her home (I guess that makes it godly, right?).

It's funny how rarely you hear Lori mention 1 Timothy 5:13

And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.

Seems like that verse would be very pertinent in "mentoring" younger women, but Lori doesn't post much about it.

Maybe I'm an odd one....or a little bohemian perhaps but I never really got gung-ho over appliances or whatnot.  I can remember being fussy about one particular town house the ex and I looked at when we were around 21.  I couldn't stomach the dark brown everything and we opted for a standard apartment, white walls, tan carpet, one accent wall. And for the majority of my adult years that's what I was used to.  As long as the plumbing works great, the floors and walls are solid and it's dry....I don't complain.  Well.  Correction, I didn't complain.  The house I live in now makes me nuts.  I can't handle the excessively stained living room carpet and peeling, uneven wallpaper throughout.  But replacing flooring in a 20x21 sqft room is pricey and Honey doesn't take change well.  It's been his house far far longer than it's been mine, so I deal.  I'd love to strip the walls and floors and repaint every nook and cranny something cheerful and put down fresh linoleum... buuut that ain't gonna happen any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Imrlgoddess said:

@GeoBQn That is priceless!!! 

Going through the comments on the "love of money" doodle...one of the commenters said she recently replaced her 1932 Magic Chef stove with a 1936 Oriole Commercial stove.  Basically praising what is old.  A quick Google search reveals various price levels for such an appliance today.  Ebay has vintage stoves starting around $500 and goes up depending on restoration, unrestored ones are chilling at around $250.  A website devoted to unrestored antique appliances have various makes and models similar to what this lady mentions ranging from $3000 to $12,000, again, depending on restoration levels.  Unless this woman lucked out and found a working model for a couple hundred bucks, someone pleeeeaaase explain to me how this is frugal??  

1 hour ago, December said:

It's probably not, unless they inherited it or were able to restore it on their own. A lot of these "frugal" tips should really come with an asterisk. A few years ago, a neighbor of mine passed away who had been the sole owner of her house, which was built in the 40s and still had many original appliances. When they had an estate sale almost everyone who turned out wanted the retro kitchen appliances. Old doesn't always equal frugal! You could have bought multiple newer, gently used appliances for what these people paid... because they were paying $$$ for the aesthetic, not the utility. I'd also wager these old appliances don't use electricity as efficiently as newer ones.

I agree, about the retro look and it's not a frugal tip at all. My uncle repaired appliances for Sears for over 30 years and he also did side jobs restoring and repairing old appliances and some of them were for people who wanted the look and aesthetic of retro/vintage appliances. I have known a couple of other people who will restored stoves and ovens for the look and they own up to the fact that is expensive. It's kind of like people who are classic car and truck enthusiasts and spend a lot of money restoring and repairing cars and trucks. Those people will say outright that it's an expensive hobby and interest. 

It's not surprising that Lori has fangirls who give out dumb ass money tips. There is nothing with people being frugal for whatever reasons, but some of the shit Lori and fangirls suggest isn't frugal. Lori talked about how other remodeled her kitchen and it wasn't DIY project for Ken. I get that some people just don't want do home improvements or remodeling on their own and I've seen some bad examples of DIY. But, I would say a good portion of Lori's fangirls have husbands who probably do a lot of DIY home projects to save money. Over time, some of the fangirls will catch on that Lori and Ken aren't frugal people. There's also nothing wrong with wanting things improved or remodeled in your home as long you are able to comfortably pay for the costs and own up that it wasn't cheap.

40 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Maybe I'm an odd one....or a little bohemian perhaps but I never really got gung-ho over appliances or whatnot.  I can remember being fussy about one particular town house the ex and I looked at when we were around 21.  I couldn't stomach the dark brown everything and we opted for a standard apartment, white walls, tan carpet, one accent wall. And for the majority of my adult years that's what I was used to.  As long as the plumbing works great, the floors and walls are solid and it's dry....I don't complain.  Well.  Correction, I didn't complain.  The house I live in now makes me nuts.  I can't handle the excessively stained living room carpet and peeling, uneven wallpaper throughout.  But replacing flooring in a 20x21 sqft room is pricey and Honey doesn't take change well.  It's been his house far far longer than it's been mine, so I deal.  I'd love to strip the walls and floors and repaint every nook and cranny something cheerful and put down fresh linoleum... buuut that ain't gonna happen any time soon. 

Ha, you're not an odd one at all! I'm pretty indifferent. As long as things work, that's what matters the most to me. 

5 minutes ago, polecat said:

Ha, you're not an odd one at all! I'm pretty indifferent. As long as things work, that's what matters the most to me. 

That's actually comforting, I had really begun to wonder if something wasn't "off" with me since I've never really walked into a place and started mentally ripping it apart.  Functional, comfortable, safe, and clean.  Those are my checklist.

I would really love to have a red and teal "vintage" kitchen w/ new "vintage" appliances.  I have an entire Pinterest board devoted to the idea.  My house was built in the fifties, and I think it would be really cute.  I may do it one day.

That said, I get that it's expensive, I don't pretend it wouldn't be expensive, and I don't run around shrieking about how other women are "dissipating their husband's substance".   Maybe because it's none of my damn business how other people spend their money...I don't know. :pb_rollseyes:

My favorite is that while Lori screams from the roof tops about being frugal, she's in the middle of a very unnecessary kitchen remodel, and she's steadily posting pics of the food she eats in restaurants, and various things she's purchased. 

I went to the thrift store today and spent $28 on 12 nice items of clothing.  I still gasp when I think of her spending $70 on that ugly denim skirt.  

*side note* Why is she giving her bad advice from her car, now?  Was that a shopping center in the background?  Looks like another busy day of shopping... 

I asssume the blogger she is talking about is Abby Wambach's new wife, Glennon Doyle Meltin. It was in my local paper yesterday so Lori has no special news there. 

56 minutes ago, polecat said:

Me too. All I care about is having a gas stove. I cook almost every meal at home and think it does the best job. Get out the smelling salts ladies because (gasp) my fridge and stove don't match! I've yet to see how that effects the functionality.

43 minutes ago, Koala said:

I went to the thrift store today and spent $28 on 12 nice items of clothing.  I still gasp when I think of her spending $70 on that ugly denim skirt.  

I did the same exact thing yesterday. My favorite thrift store had just received a pallet of clothing. I don't generally buy clothes but at two and three dollars an item, I can't even sew them that cheap. It's a pretty busy shop but I got lucky as the store was virtually empty and I had all those racks to myself! I was a little bit giddy when I left. Off the rack clothes, even second hand, are a novelty to me. 

Old things aren't really frugal. The only "wasteful" piece of furniture my husband and I have is an antique iron bed. We really wanted just a simple antique bed. Right before we got married we found a good condition one at an antique store but it still cost us $300. His dad and brother pitched in and helped weld the frame to fit a queen mattress. Our living room furniture we bought for $400 from a friend at church who was finally upgrading her newlywed furniture from ten years ago. Everything else was free hand with hand me downs from family and friends. In recent rental we have a monstrosity of a microwave, an ancient fridge that needs to retire, and a temperamental stove. Honestly I don't mind. I'd kill for a dishwasher though. I have a tiny kitchen with no counter space, that's as hot as hell in  summer. We cook nearly everything from scratch and I detest washing dishes while sweating like a pig. 

1 minute ago, EowynW said:

Old things aren't really frugal. The only "wasteful" piece of furniture my husband and I have is an antique iron bed. We really wanted just a simple antique bed. Right before we got married we found a good condition one at an antique store but it still cost us $300. His dad and brother pitched in and helped weld the frame to fit a queen mattress. Our living room furniture we bought for $400 from a friend at church who was finally upgrading her newlywed furniture from ten years ago. Everything else was free hand with hand me downs from family and friends. In recent rental we have a monstrosity of a microwave, an ancient fridge that needs to retire, and a temperamental stove. Honestly I don't mind. I'd kill for a dishwasher though. I have a tiny kitchen with no counter space, that's as hot as hell in  summer. We cook nearly everything from scratch and I detest washing dishes while sweating like a pig. 

I've been in apartments with and without a dishwasher and I feel you there. We often ended up using plastic utensils and paper plates and bowls over washing them all the time. I also feel that I used far more water cleaning dishes by hand than just using a dishwasher. Our last apartment was an old inner city house converted into apartments and the counter space was limited. It also had issues with temperature regulation so was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. If it hit 90, the AC was useless and the moment it hit below freezing, the heat was worthless. This was in the northeastern US, so it got below freezing often in the winter. 

European over here so we have all of our appliances integrated into the kitchen furniture. 
Thus no one can tell what kinds of dishwashers, trash cans, and fridges we have. 

Now I just don't know whether than makes us the most holy or the most evil. 

Maybe I should ask Lori...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived