IGNORED

Lori Alexander 19: Hating Birth Control, Consistency, and Logic

@Flossie I have no idea how the Maxwells do greens with a pizza wheel (Maxwheel?) but I would just roll a bunch of leaves together and use the pizza wheel to cut 'rings' from the roll, which obviously then just unroll into flat slices. Does that make sense?

We have had a couple of sort-of salads this week. One was more like a coleslaw with Chinese cabbage, carrot and spring onions (scallions) dressed with a sesame mayonnaise. The second is tonight's dinner - grilled tuna steaks on a bed of tenderstem broccoli, flame-grilled peppers and courgette (zucchini) 'spaghetti' dressed with a ginger, chilli, lime and soy dressing.

One last thing: while I think Lori's three-week-old dressing on four day old salad is beyond disgusting, I feel the need to point out that mayonnaise is made from raw egg yolk.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix and in S3:E9 she mets a gossipy church lady and it reminded me of Lori. She tore everyone down and then started in on women preachers. "I didn't say it. The apostle Paul said women are to be silent in church. It's in the book!"

23 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Shoot, Lori, there is an entire blog post called "Spice it up- Salad Topping Ideas" - http://www.theleangreenbean.com/spice-it-up-salad-topping-idea/

Thanks for this link.  I eat a freshly made ig salad for dinner about 5 days a week.  I like to try new things to mix it up every once in a while.

@SuperNova I will eat the same thing every day for weeks.  It makes my poor husband crazy because he's not a big fan of chicken and I like it as my main protein source.  My current favorite is a bbq chicken slider that we happened to see them make on The Chew while we were at the dr. office a couple month ago.  I would eat them every. single. day.   I settle for once a week since my husband wants to eat a variety of foods...pfft ;)

I don't understand why Lori doesn't just make the amount of salad she is going to eat every day.  It's not like a plain old lettuce salad takes more than 10 minutes if you are adding cukes or whatever that needs to be cut up.  Slimy lettuce is evil :(

22 hours ago, Koala said:

Random question-  She's just posted another video from her car.  Why?  Just why?  So weird.

This seems to be "a thing."  I have seen more videos shot in the front seats of cars recently.  I don't get it.  It makes it seem like they are trying to find a quiet place to do their video, but Lori's house is always silent so it can't be her reason.

I find it weird.

I'm dying over her comment about not caring what the original Greek said.

She's basically saying, "Yeah, screw that authentic language.  I prefer a translation to a language  that has nothing in common with the original language, thus ensuring that as many things as possible get lost and misinterpreted.  Because my insane version cannot be questioned or wrong, even though pride, boasting, feeling sorry for yourself, etc are all huge sins in the misogynistic form of the religion I've been co-opting in order to make car videos and tell others how to live." 

My god, she's stupid.  I'm almost embarrassed for her.  

I have never tried to eat or home-made (i.e. from scratch) mayonnaise after 1 day. We always make less and if necessary a new batch. 

Even leftovers from dips for our fondue* where I sometimes cheated with store-bought mayonnaise (enhanced with the plain yoghurt/other dairy products I'm not sure of whether available in all countries) were eaten 12 hours after tossing+stiring. 

*Is Fondue known in the Us? This is the ultimate dinner for a long evening with guests for someone who cannot cook /hates cooking (bothe cheese and the meat version).

I hope the 4 day old salad is just a misunderstanding. Perhaps she meant to eat this salad every 4 days. In between is  either this soup or dining-out.

18 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I'm watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix and in S3:E9 she mets a gossipy church lady and it reminded me of Lori. She tore everyone down and then started in on women preachers. "I didn't say it. The apostle Paul said women are to be silent in church. It's in the book!"

I'm up to episode 6on the new season. I'll have to do a mini-marathon tonight to see that episode lol.

1 minute ago, Red Jumper said:

*Is Fondue known in the Us? This is the ultimate dinner for a long evening with guests for someone who cannot cook /hates cooking (bothe cheese and the meat version).

Fondue was really popular in the US in the 1970's and it's still somewhat common today. There's at least 1 chain of fondue restaurants and you can buy premade cheese fondue in many grocery stores. You can also buy fondue pots in most home appliance stores, and they're fairly gifts on wedding registries. 

7 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I'm dying over her comment about not caring what the original Greek said.

Yeah, that's pretty... bold. I know a few people who went to fundie/fundie-lite colleges and they all had to take rudimentary Greek or some other ancient language because the schools recognized the importance of being able to understand the text in its original language. 

Also, in 2017, the KJV is almost as much a foreign language as a Greek text! But I'm pretty sure many of the modern English translations, that are often done as an effort between multiple denominations/faiths, would be "fake" teachings to her, too. ;) 

@Curious The only thing I can eat every day is coffee cake! As for chicken, it's my primary protein as well. My gut just can't handle red meat more than once a week. Here's my favorite chicken recipe. Super easy and very forgiving if you want to add or subtract ingredients. I make it several times a month. 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/tex-mex-chicken-with-chiles-and-cheese

4 hours ago, desertvixen said:

I didn't want to resurrect the thread about Lori's book, but I have to share: I received a reply on my comment from "Gift Recipient":

You seem to be anti-semetic in your comments. Aleph-beth means in hebrew head of house. If that bothers your intuition, then that is your problem, not God's.

That's not only a really weird comment, but it's also very wrong about the Hebrew. Yes, beth is Hebrew for "house" -- but rosh is Hebrew for "head" (not aleph, which is the first letter of the alphabet). Plus, there would be a suffix or two involved to create the phrase "head of house".

Also, there's no garuntee that by creating this expression that "head" would actually be a metaphor for "authority" -or- that "house" would imply "household of people" (rather than simply meaning a building where people live). It could be nonsense, or possibly that "head of house" rendered literally this way (into Hebrew) would mean "roof".

22 hours ago, Koala said:

Just think...she could have been like the whiny lady in the potato story.

I, too, have had chronic pain for many years.  Once in a while, I really want a specific food because that is all that sounds good.  Rather than wanting something and being super vague so my husband has to guess what I am *really* asking for, I just ask for the actual food I want.   Crazy, huh.

If I wanted a baked potato, I would say I'd really like a baked potato please, and magically I will get the item I asked for.  My husband will even say he will go to the store or get me take out if we don't have what I am craving.

Lori causes her own problems, which she then blames on other people for not reading her mind.

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

@Curious The only thing I can eat every day is coffee cake! As for chicken, it's my primary protein as well. My gut just can't handle red meat more than once a week. Here's my favorite chicken recipe. Super easy and very forgiving if you want to add or subtract ingredients. I make it several times a month. 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/tex-mex-chicken-with-chiles-and-cheese

I'm currently on a pb&j kick, which at least I can make myself and have it for a snack rather than forcing my husband into eating the same thing every day until I get tired of it ;)   I wanted some Reese's brand pb to try, but they didn't have it at our Walmart.  He got me some pb/chocolate spread (I think it's supposed to be like a Nutella type spread).  I just had some on a slice of bread and it's pretty good.

That chicken recipe looks amazing.  My husband doesn't do anything spicy, but I could just put jalapenos on mine after it is done cooking.  I'm bookmarking it so I can suggest it for dinner next time I get asked what I want.

When we were dealing with my wound I was on a high protein diet and got so sick of pork chops.  I'm not a huge read meat eater either.  I love chicken and seafood.  Like the good lapsed Catholics we are, we have shrimp and some kind of fish every friday ;) 

When I had my appendix removed, the only things I felt like eating were saltiness crackers and microwave popcorn. I asked the nice fellow who brought me my meals if he could hook me up, AND HE DID. I didn't have to pout because he didn't read my mind. 

3 hours ago, Curious said:

I don't get it.  It makes it seem like they are trying to find a quiet place to do their video, but Lori's house is always silent so it can't be her reason.

I don't get it either. I was just having a discussion about this because it seems like there is a constant stream of "sit in the car and be outraged or lecture people" videos on FB. Doesn't it get hot/cold in the car? Are they running the engine and wasting gas so they can produce these videos? Sometimes it looks like they are in a store parking lot. Do they purposely drive to Target just to make videos or are they shopping in Target and are suddenly compelled to rush to the car to make a video sharing their Very Important Thoughts? I have so many questions about this trend. 

PB and banana is my latest food I can eat everyday. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I was just having a discussion about this because it seems like there is a constant stream of "sit in the car and be outraged or lecture people" videos on FB.

I snipped for brevity, but I have all the same questions you do.  I try to stay off facebook since the election because I don't want to know which of my fb friends are trump supporters, but I was on there last weekend because my husband was out of town so I was reading his updates.   Scrolling through my feed, there were so many videos from cars.  Then I started finding some on youtube as well, so decided it must be a thing amongst people that make videos.

Isn't pb and nanner what Elvis Presley liked?   I like pb.  I like bananas.  I'm not sure how I would feel about them together.  I'm thinking a nanner with some of that spread might be quite good though.  I will have to test that out.

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Sometimes it looks like they are in a store parking lot. Do they purposely drive to Target just to make videos or are they shopping in Target and are suddenly compelled to rush to the car to make a video sharing their Very Important Thoughts? 

Right?  In Lori's first car video, she was in what looked like a shopping center parking lot.  

I assume it's just her at home during the day, so why not just make her video there?  It's just flat our weird. 

I'd be so embarrassed if people were walking past my car as I filmed myself going off on some tangent or another.

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Sometimes it looks like they are in a store parking lot. Do they purposely drive to Target just to make videos or are they shopping in Target and are suddenly compelled to rush to the car to make a video sharing their Very Important Thoughts? I have so many questions about this trend.

I think it's supposed to emphasize how incredibly Busy they are and how Valuable Their Time Is so they can shit all over their critics.

ETA- you know, the implication that their lives are so packed and important that it's a huge sacrifice to make the time to make these videos. They're doing you a favor- how dare you criticize their message when they've given you this gift. Instead of the truth- Lori posts all the time because she does basically fuck-all with her life.

Back to the food-

My husband made a peanut butter sandwich last week...in a skillet...like a grilled cheese, but with peanut butter.  Crazy.  Smelled good though.

1 minute ago, Koala said:

Back to the food-

My husband made a peanut butter sandwich last week...in a skillet...like a grilled cheese, but with peanut butter.  Crazy.  Smelled good though.

I've had fried bologna, but never fried pb.  I'm picturing the look on my husband's face if I asked for a grilled pb sandwich.  He already thinks I'm pretty crazy with my food choices/when I eat certain foods.  I'm not a big believer in certain foods are breakfast foods so you eat them in the morning, etc.   I am just as likely to have soup or salad for breakfast as I am for lunch/dinner.  I also love oatmeal and will eat that any time of day or night.

I think that is partly due to my sleep schedule being very erratic.   7am might be my supper just as easily as my breakfast.

1 minute ago, Curious said:

I've had fried bologna, but never fried pb.  I'm picturing the look on my husband's face if I asked for a grilled pb sandwich.  He already thinks I'm pretty crazy with my food choices/when I eat certain foods.  I'm not a big believer in certain foods are breakfast foods so you eat them in the morning, etc.   I am just as likely to have soup or salad for breakfast as I am for lunch/dinner.

Do you guys have Jack's?  They have the best fried bologna biscuits.

I am the same way about breakfast.  I very rarely eat anything that could be considered "breakfast food" for breakfast.

On the flip side, we do breakfast for dinner sometimes.

Biscuits w/ tomato gravy, hashbrown casserole, bacon or sausage, and cheese grits.  *sigh* It's so good.  Not good for you, but good.

We did pizza & movies tonight.  It's *still* storming, and I was not feeling like a trip to the grocery store.

Lori:

I love that you wrote about Susannah Wesley being a hidden woman. This is what we should all aspire to be.

I don't know much about being a "hidden woman", but if that's what I was going for, I'd probably start by deleting my Facebook page.  Then I'd delete ALL of my other Facebook pages.  Then I'd get rid of my Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and 2 blogs.  I'd probably quit trying to sell my books, too.  Oh, and I'd stop going to other people's blogs to straighten them out.  

But what do I know?  :pb_rollseyes:

9 minutes ago, Curious said:

I also love oatmeal and will eat that any time of day or night.

I love oatmeal, too. I eat it primarily for breakfast but will eat it for dinner, especially when it is late and I need something healthy and quick. I also crave it when I'm ill. 

@Curious I'm jealous! Mr. Nova is highly allergic to seafood. It's so disappointing. When I absolutely can't stand it anymore, I treat myself to sushi while he's at work.  

41 minutes ago, Curious said:

I've had fried bologna

When I was a kid there was this store that sold the ABSOLUTE BEST fried bologna sandwiches. This place looked scary and they pretty much only sold fried bologna sandwiches, Sun Drop and Moonpies, but their sandwiches were sooooooo good. It was always packed out and everyone would continually say the owners needed to fix up the building, but they never did. I would think about eating one of those sandwiches today if that place magically opened again. 

I have never even thought about frying peanut butter. I can see that being good. 

@Koala, Lori would make it around three seconds as a hidden woman. She needs to be in the spotlight. 

5 hours ago, Koala said:

She sounds like a spoiled teenager.  If she hears something she doesn't like, she just plugs her ears, and sticks her nose in the air

5 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Maybe Paul was thinking of women like Lori when he wrote it.

I will see myself to the prayer closet.

Make room in the prayer closet, because I was LOL at this.

Lori preaches. Her pulpit is the internet. Her audience includes men, who not only read and comment, but also receive replies from her. She acknowledges their presence and their readership.

Moreover, she tells women to not work, and to busy themselves at home. She writes and prepares images for a daily blog, posts daily on FB and Instagram, moderates all of the above plus runs a chat room, and reads what other women are "preaching" so she can criticize. Really, how busy can she be "at home"?

Jesus was a living example and made the ultimate sacrifice for us all. Lori preaches from an ivory tower. I can easily relate to a man who lived 2000 years ago and who was God incarnate, but I can't relate to Lori at all.

As I've mentioned before, my previous two Episcopal priests were female, and they were both AWESOME.(The first passed away in November from Alzheimer's and ovarian cancer, and we lost the other when our diocese decided we didn't have enough regular congregants to support a full-time priest.)

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I have never even thought about frying peanut butter. I can see that being good. 

Me too.  Roasted peanuts are good.  That's just putting them in the blender first... :peanutbutter:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived