IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

22 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

This. Nebraska has plenty of good Mexican food now too. We have an amazing sit down restaurant in our little town owned by immigrants. Don't even have to go for food trucks. There is a large immigrant population in much of the Midwest now.

Is Nebraska the Midwest? As with Iowa, I think I always considered it to be Heartland, but I guess that's a designation that isn't really a thing anymore. 

I suppose things could have changed in the past 10 years. :) Glad you have decent food! 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any kind of pizza is better than St Louis.. even the weird ones I saw in Japan (Corn and Potato on a pizza, anyone?)

Or maybe I'm lumping all st louis pizza into the disgustingness that is Imos. Blech, that's the only pizza I've ever not liked.

Am from St. Louis and waited for this response - it always comes up in discussions like these. It is definitely a acquired/born-to taste - even locals either love or hate Imo's (mostly love). There is a better place (Pirrone's) that does St. Louis style that tastes MUCH better. Thicker crust (still thin though) and way better tomato sauce and spices. There are others as well, but Pirrone's is my personal favorite.

Personally, I find Imo's to be "meh."

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Pizza....I LOVE pizza. From the cheapest, shitty frozen pizzas to my own home made pizzas...I don't give a shit...gimme a pizza. 

Still trying to find good pickles though. 

What's the old saying?  Pizza is like sex, even when it's bad it's still good? (Just to clarify I'm talking about consensual sex only). 

BTW, I don't agree with that.  Bad sex is pretty shitty and bad pizza is almost as bad.  Little Caesar's has to be hands down the worst pizza I've ever had.  Greasy styrofoam with ketchup and cheap swiss cheese one top was the closest analogy I can come up with. 

36 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Any kind of pizza is better than St Louis.. even the weird ones I saw in Japan (Corn and Potato on a pizza, anyone?)

Or maybe I'm lumping all st louis pizza into the disgustingness that is Imos. Blech, that's the only pizza I've ever not liked.

we have a place here in Des Moines called Fong's Pizza, it's a Chinese/pizza fusion joint. They have some really good pizza, and egg rolls. I've never had NY pizza, I've had Chicago but I'm not a deep dish kind of person so I'll take a pass on that, but I have to say I LOVE me some Casey's taco pizza. I'm starting to think it is an Iowa thing where we put everything on a pizza crust and just eat it. 

32 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Is Nebraska the Midwest? As with Iowa, I think I always considered it to be Heartland, but I guess that's a designation that isn't really a thing anymore. 

I suppose things could have changed in the past 10 years. :) Glad you have decent food! 

Technically Iowa is the midwest, there is not "heartland" really, I googled, the Midwest consists of 12 states. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana & Ohio

26 minutes ago, JMO said:

Little Caesar's has to be hands down the worst pizza I've ever had.  Greasy styrofoam with ketchup and cheap swiss cheese one top was the closest analogy I can come up with. 

Snipped the above to say:

I'm from New Jersey, and have never had Little Caesar's, and that description you mentioned above almost made me :puke-front: at my desk. That is horrid!

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Nope, Hilde was the worst, would damage your house while making it fugly. Her crap was not easy to undo.

Oh lord, remember the hay room? IIRC, the homeowners had very young children for whom it could be a choking hazard. 

wQJNWLH.jpg

Is Pirrone's the place in St Louis that does the killer toasted ravioli? I had it once and nearly had an epiphany.

Not everything in FL is bad!! Mr Z's in Key West is a transplant from Philly and their cheesesteak are spot on!!

5 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

If you want New York style pizza, then the best is in New York (or New Haven). But there are other types of pizza and they all have their fans. We have a place here that has a bunch of really good pizzas, but the traditional tomato sauce pizza isn't worth ordering, IMO. 

Top 10 Pizzerias in the US. 

I'm sorry, @Maggie Mae, but that "pizza" with mayo on top at the pizzeria in Anchorage is just disgusting!

I wouldn't have a problem with a "no slices" place.  I can eat a whole pie by myself.

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Is Iowa really the Midwest though? I grew up in the Midwest and considered Iowa to be "heartland" i think. Besides, my experience is not your experience, but my experience tells me that there was very little decent food (in general) to be had outside of Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc; and Mexican food was hard to come by unless you want a sloppy american style burrito with lettuce and cheese and bean goop. 

Damn it now I want a burrito, not my carefully calorie controlled lunch. Or pretty much anything else. :(

Yeah, you're way off. Plenty of good food around here. Mexican or otherwise. 

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/kelly-omaha-now-ranked-the-no-foodie-city/article_3a6749ee-6a4b-5828-aa08-3e71eee3cae2.html

If you're talking about good Mexican food, I need to put an asterisk by that. Mextcan food is very regional, with food from Jalisco (or cooked with recipes from Jalisco) being quite different from food from Sinaloa, Sonora, Baja California, and other states/regions. After college, I moved to a border state and grew to love the style of Mexican food served there. (Mmmm...Rolled tacos in a corn tortilla, not the Sonoran flour tortilla.) When I went back to the Midwest to visit my family, they proudly took me to the Mexican restaurant in town that was owned by Mexican immigrants. I didn't care for the food, as it was from a different region than I was used to. After moving from that part of the country, I've yet to find what I consider "my" kind of Mexican food, even though I've tried restaurants and food carts that have been opened by immigrants. I'm especially sad that I haven't found the carne asada and pollo asado like I was used to. I guess it would be like looking for American food in a foreign country- you'd want to know what region it covers before you would know what to expect.

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I'm sorry, @Maggie Mae, but that "pizza" with mayo on top at the pizzeria in Anchorage is just disgusting!

I wouldn't have a problem with a "no slices" place.  I can eat a whole pie by myself.

That's not mayo. 

mexican food is great, y'all. i don't know anyone who doesn't like some sort of mexican food. i'm more of a picky eater (am a total spice pansy and the texture of beans i've ever had make me literally gag) but if i can get it sans beans i LOVE it, lol. i'm kind of jealous that Jinger and Jeremy can get the good stuff whenever they want it O.o 

2 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

mexican food is great, y'all. i don't know anyone who doesn't like some sort of mexican food. i'm more of a picky eater (am a total spice pansy and the texture of beans i've ever had make me literally gag) but if i can get it sans beans i LOVE it, lol. i'm kind of jealous that Jinger and Jeremy can get the good stuff whenever they want it O.o 

Lol when we go to chipotle, my friend will only ever get a burrito with white rice, chicken, and cheese. Nothing else. I don't understand why he'd pay $7 for that, but I guess it still counts as a kind of mexican food...

9 minutes ago, Kailash said:

It says it's cilantro jalapeno mayo.

Huh, TIL. Didn't think they even stocked Mayo. Their specials change weekly. I've never had one with mayo. 

This thread drift is making me hungry. As a Scot I can be an impartial judge to what state has the best food. I'll just travel all 50 states and taste a variety of foods. It's all for science of course. 

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

We've had good food for a long time. Not for a mere 10 years or less. 

"Heartland" has never been a real regional designation to my knowledge and the entire state has considered itself part of the Midwest for the entire 40+ years I've lived here, as has Iowa which is approximately a three minute drive from my home. If there is any other designation, it is Great Plains or Upper/Northern Plains. 

3 hours ago, JMO said:

What's the old saying?  Pizza is like sex, even when it's bad it's still good? (Just to clarify I'm talking about consensual sex only). 

BTW, I don't agree with that.  Bad sex is pretty shitty and bad pizza is almost as bad.  Little Caesar's has to be hands down the worst pizza I've ever had.  Greasy styrofoam with ketchup and cheap swiss cheese one top was the closest analogy I can come up with. 

Little Caesar's or moldy dish sponge? Six of one, half dozen of the other.

50 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I'm a fan of New Mexican food. The last time I was hanging in the 505 I must have had a blue corn enchilada with red chili at almost every meal. Of course I switched it up every now and then and had mine with  Hatch (green) chili. When I really wanted to live on the edge I'd get my food with Christmas, or red AND green chills.  Oh crap, now I'm wishing there was a good place to get some good NM food here east of he Mississippi.

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

We've had good food for a long time. Not for a mere 10 years or less. 

"Heartland" has never been a real regional designation to my knowledge and the entire state has considered itself part of the Midwest for the entire 40+ years I've lived here, as has Iowa which is approximately a three minute drive from my home. If there is any other designation, it is Great Plains or Upper/Northern Plains. 

TBH, my experience in the Midwest (which is 12 states that really should be divded into two regions - great lakes and plains) is completely different than yours. I DO NOT think the food there is anything to write home about, outside of Chicago and other cities. (I don't know anything about Nebraska, so i'll have to take your word for it.) And I DID NOT have a great time growing up there and think it's pretty much hell on earth and I get anxiety when I have to go back. As I said earlier in the thread, my experience was not your experience and we all can believe what we want to believe.

32 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

This thread drift is making me hungry. As a Scot I can be an impartial judge to what state has the best food. I'll just travel all 50 states and taste a variety of foods. It's all for science of course. 

Science is great and all, but if you say it's a missionary trip you can grift money for it, though.

My dad just came in and said, "you don't have to give me a lecture about this, but..." and then asked me if I was aware that Jinger Duggar wore pants. Apparently it made the front page of MSN. I made the mistake sometime ago of trying to explain the Duggars to my parents and they've been teasing me about it since.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

we have a place here in Des Moines called Fong's Pizza, it's a Chinese/pizza fusion joint. They have some really good pizza, and egg rolls. I've never had NY pizza, I've had Chicago but I'm not a deep dish kind of person so I'll take a pass on that, but I have to say I LOVE me some Casey's taco pizza. I'm starting to think it is an Iowa thing where we put everything on a pizza crust and just eat it. 

Ohhhhh I miss Fong's Pizza!  I used to work for Happy Joe's, the franchise chain that claimed it originated taco pizza... they were pretty good, too, or at least the pizza I made was.  I am normally a NYC/LI/New Haven pizza kind of gal.

Also, when I asked my Iowan husband if he considers Iowa to be part of the midwest, he said, "but it's the heart of the midwest!"  I never really considered the heartland as something separate.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

TBH, my experience in the Midwest (which is 12 states that really should be divded into two regions - great lakes and plains) is completely different than yours. I DO NOT think the food there is anything to write home about, outside of Chicago and other cities. (I don't know anything about Nebraska, so i'll have to take your word for it.) And I DID NOT have a great time growing up there and think it's pretty much hell on earth and I get anxiety when I have to go back. As I said earlier in the thread, my experience was not your experience and we all can believe what we want to believe.

I didn't tell you my experience. I gave you a link about national reviews of Omaha's food scene. 

But whatever. Hating on a whole region, its people and its food because you had a bad childhood seems like a pretty unhealthy life choice. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived