IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

5 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I don't know how anyone can dismiss all the food of any region- obviously you didn't look hard enough. In WI, some of the best places to eat are little supper clubs or bars in the middle of nowhere. I've had some of the best prime rib and fried chicken in 1 street towns. We have a couple of small bars and little shops that make amazing pizza- even the take and bake kind are awesome. My town throws a 3 day 4th of July festival every year where tons of Hispanic vendors sell amazing authentic food and you can find them at the farmers market every Saturday from May to October. And you can't forget about the Friday night fish fries. Nothing like fresh Perch or Walleye fried in beer batter. 

This reminds me Michael and Jane Stern's book Roadfood which celebrates the diversity and wealth of food across the US.

@melon,  I've never seen Cheap Eats, but it sounds amazing!  I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penny,He goes to a different city every time.He is supposed to buy breakfast,lunch,dinner and a snack.All for under $35 dollars.

In Charleston,He broke his budget.He went over.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Definitely agree on Minneapolis' food/art scene. It's amazing.

I agree, I was up there with a few friends last spring and we were all impressed with everything. I enjoyed Minneapolis more than I did Chicago for food and the vibe.  I LOVE being on the lake in Chicago, but aside from that Minneapolis was just more, I don't know chill I think. We had gone up for a Prince tribute shortly after he died, and even with all the sadness surrounding that we had a really nice time. I want to go up again and see Paisley Park if it is open.   

That's it . . . I'm calling it ~ I volunteer as tribute haha: anybody wants to have a mini FJ convention in Minneapolis (and eat the food, visit MIA, and Paisley Park, and I don't know, Target HQ's??), let me know ;)

Hey, I live in Maryland, and we had square dancing in gym class, too! It's great! Uses lots of people, gets 'em moving, and is fairly cheap! All you need is a record player and an album!

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That is the ONE down side to living in the midwest, for me at least, getting to the coasts is flipping expensive and or TIME CONSUMING. Our family drove to DC 3 years ago, 20 hours, UGH.  It's only 6 hours to Chicago, 4 to KC & Minneapolis, Milwaukee, 6 to St. Louis, but 10 to Denver, so you CAN get a few places fairly easy, but it is 20+ hour drive to most of the East Coast and 25ish hours to the west.  And flights out of Des Moines are NOT cheap we flew to Portland last summer and it was $1200 for 3 people, over labor day weekend. Plus the only direct flights you can get are to Denver, Chicago, Dallas, you can get to Vegas a couple days a week and occasionally Orlando, but that is about it.

That's why you shouldn't live in Iowa. ;) There are currently 27 regular direct flights out of Omaha. Destinations, aside from hubs, include Seattle, Miami, San Diego, Vegas, Washington DC, Orlando, and many more on both coasts. 

And, as I said before, Our food scene has been noted in many national publications. The latest talked about food destination around here is a place literally in the middle of nowhere Nebraska in an unincorporated village. 

As many have said, every place has its great local food. I once ate a steak in Washington D.C. I will never order one outside of Nebraska again unless it is Nebraska beef. Worst piece of meat I ever ate. Our steak is hard to beat and the price in the grocery store is hard to beat as well. 

22 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

That's it . . . I'm calling it ~ I volunteer as tribute haha: anybody wants to have a mini FJ convention in Minneapolis (and eat the food, visit MIA, and Paisley Park, and I don't Target HQ's??), let me know ;)

I will play tour guide!!  I live in a suburb of Minny and love it here!!! (I love to brag up my city.lol can't you tell?)

Some of the best food I've ever had was at the resort we stayed at in Barbados during our honeymoon. We tried pretty much every restaurant once and never had a bad meal. Phenomenal steak, great British pub, fantastic Italian... and the fruit was soooooooo fresh!

My favorite meals though were:

- the dinners we had at the Indian restaurant. I had never had Indian food before, so I was a little nervous. But husband was really excited and I figured I might as well be slightly adventurous. It was SO freaking good! I keep telling husband we need to find a good Indian restaurant around here. I'm a big fan of chicken curry and naan and I even liked the lamb (I never eat lamb!)

- the lunch we had during the excursion we did. We went on a Pirate themed party ship to two snorkel sites. I had a panic attack at the first one because it was super murky and I'm absolutely terrified of sharks (which, fun fact, that part of the Barbados coast doesn't usually have to worry about because coral.) We had lunch on the way to the second site. We got to eat chicken and steak the crew had barbecued along with salad, corn on the cob, and rum. It was ridiculously fun getting to drink rum and eat barbecue on a Pirate ship in the Caribbean, while they blasted Rihanna music and the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean.

(Second snorkel site took me longer to go in - but I'm so happy I did. That was the site where wild turtles can be seen. One of them swam so close to us that my husband could have touched it if he had reached out the tiniest bit. We love turtles, so it's one of my favorite memories. :) )

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

This reminds me Michael and Jane Stern's book Roadfood which celebrates the diversity and wealth of food across the US.

@melon,  I've never seen Cheap Eats, but it sounds amazing!  I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

Thank you - book in my Amazon cart. With points, gift cards, buy used, whatnots...$4.76.

Did not save the difference though :pb_lol:

If anyone comes here and wants to eat...let me know, because a lot of places are expensive tourist traps, I can steer you to great neighborhood restaurants...I know a great coffee shop too! :kitty-wink:

7 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

If anyone comes here and wants to eat...let me know, because a lot of places are expensive tourist traps, I can steer you to great neighborhood restaurants...I know a great coffee shop too! :kitty-wink:

I live in South Jersey.....what is the great coffee shop?

4 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I live in South Jersey.....what is the great coffee shop?

My family owns one...I can pm you :my_smile:

This is going to sound really strange but....one of the best meals I ever had was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.   It was at phantom ranch.  We ate beef stew with homemade cornbread and brownies for desert.  Honestly, it might not sound like much now, but I still dream about that meal.  

You can find great food in any city, you just have to know where to look.

Buffalo has a great food scene too!! Just featured on a Delicious Destinations episode. We don't just have the Falls here, promise! 

21 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

My family owns one...I can pm you :my_smile:

Thanks! I replied, or I at least tried to. I think it is pretty far from us actually but I love coffee, thanks so much!!

More thoughts on food:

Best breakfast - Keltic Kitchen in Cape Cod. Their hot chocolate tastes like melted chocolate ice cream. And they have the best bacon, potatoes, pancakes... I'm dying just thinking about it.

And anywhere on Block Island is phenomenal. We haven't gone since summer of 2015 and I miss it so much. I love the burgers and fries at Dead Eye Dick's. And The Oar has great mudslides. I love drinking them while eating chicken tenders and fries. 

And something extremely controversial... but the best wings of all time are at J. Timothy's Taverne in Connecticut. It's an absolutely fantastic  New England style tavern. The original building has been standing since 1789 and was operated by the same family until the 1970s or 1980s - new owners purchased it, renamed it in 1988, and have continued the tradition of serving delicious food. 

You have to order the buffalo wings dirt style though. Wings are fried, dipped, fried, and dipped again. Other places have adopted dirt style, but it was invented at J. Tim's.

I want whole fried clams.   Since I'm in New Mexico I know that won't be happening any time soon.

40 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

And something extremely controversial... but the best wings of all time are at J. Timothy's Taverne in Connecticut. It's an absolutely fantastic  New England style tavern. The original building has been standing since 1789 and was operated by the same family until the 1970s or 1980s - new owners purchased it, renamed it in 1988, and have continued the tradition of serving delicious food. 

You have to order the buffalo wings dirt style though. Wings are fried, dipped, fried, and dipped again. Other places have adopted dirt style, but it was invented at J. Tim's.

I can attest to this.  Went there for my dad's birthday a few years ago. 

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Some of the best food I've ever had was at the resort we stayed at in Barbados during our honeymoon. We tried pretty much every restaurant once and never had a bad meal. Phenomenal steak, great British pub, fantastic Italian... and the fruit was soooooooo fresh!

My favorite meals though were:

- the dinners we had at the Indian restaurant. I had never had Indian food before, so I was a little nervous. But husband was really excited and I figured I might as well be slightly adventurous. It was SO freaking good! I keep telling husband we need to find a good Indian restaurant around here. I'm a big fan of chicken curry and naan and I even liked the lamb (I never eat lamb!)

- the lunch we had during the excursion we did. We went on a Pirate themed party ship to two snorkel sites. I had a panic attack at the first one because it was super murky and I'm absolutely terrified of sharks (which, fun fact, that part of the Barbados coast doesn't usually have to worry about because coral.) We had lunch on the way to the second site. We got to eat chicken and steak the crew had barbecued along with salad, corn on the cob, and rum. It was ridiculously fun getting to drink rum and eat barbecue on a Pirate ship in the Caribbean, while they blasted Rihanna music and the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean.

(Second snorkel site took me longer to go in - but I'm so happy I did. That was the site where wild turtles can be seen. One of them swam so close to us that my husband could have touched it if he had reached out the tiniest bit. We love turtles, so it's one of my favorite memories. :) )

Did you do the Jolly Roger cruise? Both locals and tourists love it. I hope you also got to try flying fish - Bajans are great at that. Also great at Indian food. I miss the curry roti there. And the flying fish. 

5 hours ago, melon said:

Penny,He goes to a different city every time.He is supposed to buy breakfast,lunch,dinner and a snack.All for under $35 dollars.

In Charleston,He broke his budget.He went over.

$35 will buy you maaybbeee two meals in Charleston. Especially if you are eating downtown... that may just get yuo one meal and a snack.

So hard to enjoy the food scene in Charleston when you dont want to spend $20+ per person per meal

Talk about thread drift!       :pizza:

If Jinger doesn't get into a real bathing suit soon, we may never get back on topic!

10 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Did you do the Jolly Roger cruise? Both locals and tourists love it. I hope you also got to try flying fish - Bajans are great at that. Also great at Indian food. I miss the curry roti there. And the flying fish. 

We did!! Jolly Roger was so much fun. The crew members were the best.

We didn't try flying fish though. It's the first trip I've been on where we spent almost all our time at the resort - either in the beach with drinks or somewhere eating or playing pool. It was exactly the type of really relaxing trip we both needed, but I am a bit sad we didn't get to go out and actually experience the culture of the island more.

(We did dance with a calypso dancer who put on a show one night. Made absolute asses out of ourselves because we gave zero rhythm, but she was the sweetest person and she did her best to make us - and the other people pulled from the audience - comfortable.)

4 hours ago, Greendoor said:

If Jinger doesn't get into a real bathing suit soon, we may never get back on topic!

I hope we never get back on topic. Food is way better and far more interesting than the Vuolos. :pb_lol:

13 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Thanks! I replied, or I at least tried to. I think it is pretty far from us actually but I love coffee, thanks so much!!

LOL i didn't get a reply...but if anyone is ever in philly i'll gladly buy you a cuppa!

Philly? We are trying to plan a vacation there this summer.   In the spirit of always trying what is local, I think we need to try some Philly cheese steak. I've never had one.  From what I've seen, they look like something that could be super horrifically gross if you go to a bad place, or super terrifically good if you know where to go. Anybody know where we can find the good ones? 

7 hours ago, Greendoor said:

And I have to say LOL @ a slice of pizza and a bathing suit reference in the same post...LOL- if Jinger eats pizza on a regular basis, she'll never get into that bathing suit!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived