IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

41 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Philly? We are trying to plan a vacation there this summer.   In the spirit of always trying what is local, I think we need to try some Philly cheese steak. I've never had one.  From what I've seen, they look like something that could be super horrifically gross if you go to a bad place, or super terrifically good if you know where to go. Anybody know where we can find the good ones? 

I am new to the area actually and have found good cheesesteaks in South Jerzee. 

I would try MamaGoggle....unless someone else here has a good recommendation.

Philly is great. Don't ignore Elfreth's Alley in Old City Philly. You can walk it any time check online for times of tours of the museum house.....it is quite moving as it is the oldest continually occupied street in the US they say. 

I do love Philly.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived with a French pied noir (french who'd lived in Algeria until independence) family for my gap year in 1971. They lived in Avignon, and I encountered food I'd never heard of,let alone tasted. Artichokes, asparagus, aubergine (eggplant to Americans!), mange touts, pain au chocolat, cous cous, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon ---mmm. I'd never even heard of olive oil before, or seen or tasted an olive. Anchovies......! I thought I'd discovered heaven.

They took me to their holiday home in Rosas in Spain, which was then still a small village.

The best meal of my life so far was fresh caught red mullet, cleaned and sprinkled with lemon juice and grilled,with tomatoes fresh off the vine and drizzled with olive oil. The starter was fresh caught sardines with chopped onion  and peppers, and bread to mop up the juices.

We ate all of this on the fishing quay, where the boats came in, and their catch was auctioned, in a simple cafe.

If I could bottle and sell that meal, I would be a millionaire.

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

More thoughts on food:

Best breakfast - Keltic Kitchen in Cape Cod. Their hot chocolate tastes like melted chocolate ice cream. And they have the best bacon, potatoes, pancakes... I'm dying just thinking about it.

And anywhere on Block Island is phenomenal. We haven't gone since summer of 2015 and I miss it so much. I love the burgers and fries at Dead Eye Dick's. And The Oar has great mudslides. I love drinking them while eating chicken tenders and fries. 

And something extremely controversial... but the best wings of all time are at J. Timothy's Taverne in Connecticut. It's an absolutely fantastic  New England style tavern. The original building has been standing since 1789 and was operated by the same family until the 1970s or 1980s - new owners purchased it, renamed it in 1988, and have continued the tradition of serving delicious food. 

You have to order the buffalo wings dirt style though. Wings are fried, dipped, fried, and dipped again. Other places have adopted dirt style, but it was invented at J. Tim's.

I was born in Providence and we used to go to Block Island often. Funny though, I am an Rhode Island native and hate all shell fish. Bleh.

16 hours ago, MoonFace said:

I want whole fried clams.   Since I'm in New Mexico I know that won't be happening any time soon.

I'd take Hatch over clams any day.  But that is just me.  There is one grocery store here in the Mid Atlantic which sells fresh Hatch once a year. We stack our Freezer and use them all year long. So good.  A good chuck of my family and my Husband's family live there. Sigh.. I miss the 505.

Also Philly make sure you go to the reading terminal! Has every type of food you can imagine somewhere I always go to whenever I want to go downtown. @PreciousPantsofDoom

I didn't see this yet on the thread but my family is going to a cousin wedding in Chicago and I wanted food recommedations.

If the due date is accurate, then yes it is fake. They would not know the sex of the baby yet. She would only be 6 weeks pregnant. So yeah, fake. 

Also another question after seeing the registry. Do Americans not have prams? How do you get the newborn to lie flat? 

4 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Philly? We are trying to plan a vacation there this summer.   In the spirit of always trying what is local, I think we need to try some Philly cheese steak. I've never had one.  From what I've seen, they look like something that could be super horrifically gross if you go to a bad place, or super terrifically good if you know where to go. Anybody know where we can find the good ones? 

Summer? Umm, prepare to sweat! The tourist trap cheesesteaks are the famous 'geno's' and 'pat's'...do neither of those! As for other places, it depends where you are staying. Mostly, you can't get a bad steak, but everyone has a preference of what they like, but if you're not really comparing them, then most places are good. They are anywhere from $8-$12 each. 

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also Philly make sure you go to the reading terminal! Has every type of food you can imagine somewhere I always go to whenever I want to go downtown. @PreciousPantsofDoom

::whispers:: I've never been (and I lived here my whole life) I do plan on it this summer though! 

Besides the (probable) fakeness - who the heck needs that many baby items??

In that tiny 2 bedroom apartment . . . sweet Jesus.  Jeremy and Jinger might accidentally spill hot coffee all over the place (including their sweet little blessing) by tripping over toys, clothes, and breast pumps (did I glance right, was there more than one on that thing??  Like I get having a small hand one to travel with, or one for the car - but uh, doesn't insurance still cover it?)

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

Summer? Umm, prepare to sweat!

I know, right! It seems like every single freaking time we head to DC (which will be the other part of this trip) it is August. We must be masochists. Or cheap (for some reason there always seem to be good flight/hotel deals to the sweaty hot places in August-I wonder why! ) 

On 4/24/2017 at 1:26 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I take offence to this, I'm in Iowa and we have AMAZING Mexican food, i'm not talking Chilli's or some such chain shit, I'm talking real Mexican's in a 1980's motor coach converted into a food truck making tacos and empanadas.  You can get authentic food here, you just have to know where to go. There is a large Mexican/SCA population here so we have some really good restaurants if you are willing to "slum it" on the east side of Des Moines, which I am.  

West Des Moines girl here, and I just need to add, the fluffy flour tacos from Tasty Tacos. NADA ES IMPOSIBLE!

@PreciousPantsofDoom First of all, I absolutely love your name. It just makes me laugh.

Please report back after you visit Philly about what you saw. LIke I said, I really like it. Woo woo. 

And yes, the Reading Terminal Market is so fun. Fun fun...

21 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

This is going to sound really strange but....one of the best meals I ever had was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.   It was at phantom ranch.  We ate beef stew with homemade cornbread and brownies for desert.  Honestly, it might not sound like much now, but I still dream about that meal.  

You can find great food in any city, you just have to know where to look.

I have been to that ranch! It was circa 2000, but I loved it!

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

If the due date is accurate, then yes it is fake. They would not know the sex of the baby yet. She would only be 6 weeks pregnant. So yeah, fake. 

Also another question after seeing the registry. Do Americans not have prams? How do you get the newborn to lie flat? 

1st part, yep, too soon to know sex.

To the 2nd part, we lay them down in their cribs, or bassinet or a pack n play.  We don't use prams we have strollers, you can lay them pretty flat but generally newborns stay in their car seats for the first few months, until they get better head control.  

20 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

West Des Moines girl here, and I just need to add, the fluffy flour tacos from Tasty Tacos. NADA ES IMPOSIBLE!

:56247956409be_32(13):Had this last night for dinner, soooo good! 

8 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Baby carriages (prams) used to be sold in the US.  I used to have one.  With the popularity of adjustable strollers that last from newborn through toddler by changing pieces, they've fallen out of general use.  However, there are lay back position strollers and strollers with bassinet attachments that allow for the infant to lie flat.  Most people seem to opt for the stroller base/car seat attachment option so the infant goes from car to stroller or reverse without having to wake them up or rebelt them.

It's funny how different these things are in different regions. Here it's all about the babies lying flat as much as possible until they can sit on their own and they only spend as much time in carseats as necassary. The carseat-to-stroller seats are pretty much frowned upon. I also noticed these "bumbo" seats are pretty popular in the US which are also considered bad. 

4 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I didn't see this yet on the thread but my family is going to a cousin wedding in Chicago and I wanted food recommedations.

The market has narrow aisles and can be absolutely insane if it's busy (especially when the flower show is going on in the convention center upstairs). But the food is good and there's a lot of variety.

I'm in the US and despise bumbo seats as many of us do.  My grandchildren also loathed them and saw them only as something to learn how to escape.  I'd say average total time per grandchild in a bumbo was around 10 to 15 minutes.  Grandson specialized in turning them over and trying to roll away.  There is definitely not a big push on keeping infants lying flat though.  Daughter's pediatrician discouraged that although he also discouraged extensive time in the car seat.

Taking grand wolf to D.C. in June. Any suggestions for food that won't break the bank? He wants to go to Gettysburg.  Can we get there without taking a  bus tour? 

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Taking grand wolf to D.C. in June. Any suggestions for food that won't break the bank? He wants to go to Gettysburg.  Can we get there without taking a  bus tour? 

Yes, the battlefield is a national park. Most people visit on their own instead of in tours. I'm assuming you have a car. It's an easy trip up route 15 from the DC area.

How inexpensive do you need for the food to be? Is there anything that you want to try, or that GrandWolf won't eat? Where are you staying? Downtown DC has surprisingly few hotels and they're very expensive.

By the way, it will be hot, humid, and horribly crowded around the DC monuments, but you probably expected that.

No car. We're flying in from the west. Got a reasonable deal on a hotel. We plan on usig public transportation.  We need to broaden Grandwolf's palate. Last time Mr. Wolf and i were there, on the company's dime we ate at a different ethnic restaurant every night. We just took him to see Hidden Figures so he's anxious to see the space capsule.

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No car. We're flying in from the west. Got a reasonable deal on a hotel. We plan on usig public transportation.  We need to broaden Grandwolf's palate. Last time Mr. Wolf and i were there, on the company's dime we ate at a different ethnic restaurant every night. We just took him to see Hidden Figures so he's anxious to see the space capsule.

When you are at the museums, they do have food...not totally cheap but when you are walking around there it is wonderful to sit and eat where you are. I have often had burgers and such.....and if you want variety, the Native American museum has interesting varied food but I remember it to be very expensive. No restaurants nearby.....only food trucks. At other sights, ask when you are there and ask at your hotel. Nothing too gourmet but you won't starve!!

Is there a rough idea on the size of the apartment?  Is it something two parents along with more than one or two small kids could live in?

I have a family of six (myself, my husband, and four daughters) in a fairly small two bedroom house, but the house has got a larger than average horizontal width to it that gives it more living space than two bedroom apartments I've seen for almost twice the rent.

11 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

When you are at the museums, they do have food...not totally cheap but when you are walking around there it is wonderful to sit and eat where you are. I have often had burgers and such.....and if you want variety, the Native American museum has interesting varied food but I remember it to be very expensive. No restaurants nearby.....only food trucks. At other sights, ask when you are there and ask at your hotel. Nothing too gourmet but you won't starve!!

Yes, there are surprisingly few restaurants near the National Mall. Every summer I have to explain that to cranky tourists. I also love the restaurant at the National Museum of the American Indian. It's expensive even by DC standards, but it's right across from the Air & Space Museum, it's (reasonably) authentic and delicious, they welcome kids, and little boys think Indians are cool. So it's probably a good choice. Try not to go right at lunch time.

Do you have some idea of what cuisines you want GrandWolf to try?

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived