IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Are these Penningtons in any way related to the infamous James and Lisa Pennington of Texas, who prevented their children from having legal identities? I believe they are another FJ thread? 

Related to that Ty Pennington guy from the home make over show?  That guy always seemed hopped up on coke or speed. Very annoying.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Related to that Ty Pennington guy from the home make over show?  That guy always seemed hopped up on coke or speed. Very annoying.

If that's the case, he was definitely sharing it with Paige. That woman was the worst. 

Trying to catch up on this board - 

I was surprised about Jinger and her pants/shorts. I hope it is because she had been wanting to and Jeremy is "letting" her as opposed to "making" her (just saying that makes me cringe). I'm probably in the minority but Jeremy doesn't bother me, as far as being a fundy that is.  On the show he seemed to really care about Jinger.

As far as the pizza and bagels discussion - having grown up in NY and NJ, the times I have thought about moving elsewhere I legit thought "I won't make it someplace without good pizza!" I have heard Florida has some good places started by NY transplants. Bagels I can live without, but pizza is a dealbreaker! Every time I've moved the first thing I do is look for a good place. I remember in college the area was filled with chains which I don't mind, but it took me months and s bit of luck to find a real shop. 

I'm going to say something extremely controversial. NYC pizza is incredibly overrated. It's good, but people act like there's no good pizza outside of the boroughs.

45 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Trying to catch up on this board - 

I was surprised about Jinger and her pants/shorts. I hope it is because she had been wanting to and Jeremy is "letting" her as opposed to "making" her (just saying that makes me cringe). I'm probably in the minority but Jeremy doesn't bother me, as far as being a fundy that is.  On the show he seemed to really care about Jinger.

I also don't think Jeremy (so far) seems to be that bad. I loved the fact that he and JB seemed to not really like each other. It is going to be interesting to see how that part unfolds.

23 minutes ago, elliha said:

I also don't think Jeremy (so far) seems to be that bad. I loved the fact that he and JB seemed to not really like each other. It is going to be interesting to see how that part unfolds.

That's why I have hope for Jeremy and Jinger...Jeremy looked like he barely tolerated JBoob. 

On 4/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, actuallyjessica said:

^ oh boy! i haven't followed the rodrigues family since the bus days but nurie has certainly grown up!

i will never not be happy about these kids wearing pants when their parents are anti-pants. those pants are flatting on jinger and she is looking very happy!

Oh, honey come on back over.

You'll be just in time to watch Jill auction off Nurie's headship to the highest bidder. 

You can sit by me. 

22 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

If that's the case, he was definitely sharing it with Paige. That woman was the worst. 

Paige the one with the pink power tools?

2 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Paige the one with the pink power tools?

I don't remember the pink power tools, but this woman...(as a side note, I am INCREDIBLY disturbed by how dated these clips look...:my_confused:)

@bella8050

I was recently visiting the Sarasota area of Florida and had a very disappointing experience with pizza from a resturant run by people from Long Island.

But, in my opinion lots of places in the tristate area no longer make good pizza  either because they buy their sauce premade in vats and use Italian blend cheese product rather than real mozzeralla and parmesan. 

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I don't remember the pink power tools, but this woman...(as a side note, I am INCREDIBLY disturbed by how dated these clips look...:my_confused:)

Ah okay.  I was thinking of a different home make over show

10 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Ah okay.  I was thinking of a different home make over show

I had the same thinking as you - there was a Paige on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. She always wore pink everything and had pink power tools, hard hat, tool belt, etc. 

Here she is for reference: 

Spoiler

IMG_6560.JPG.9477724088d4dc9eeb3d0e03fe73108d.JPG

20 hours ago, missegeno said:

I'm going to say something extremely controversial. NYC pizza is incredibly overrated. It's good, but people act like there's no good pizza outside of the boroughs.

That's because there isn't. Other than New Haven. But even New Haven can't compare to the wonders of DaVinci's Pizza in Brooklyn. :romance-heartsthree:

And now I'll say something equally controversial in some places - Chicago style is not pizza. It's an abomination. :pb_lol:

I'm joking on both by the way. As long as you aren't forcing me to like what you like, we're good. I really do dislike Chicago style though. Sicilian or thin crust for the win!

And DaVinci's really is that good too.

On 4/21/2017 at 1:55 PM, jerkit said:

One time at church, a woman told me I have "a high forehead and fair skin, which was very attractive during the renaissance"

LOL

Honestly, this is what makes me feel better about my five-head and tiny mouth. I used to work at a renaissance faire when I was a teenager, and I dabble in reenacting, and I look much better in historical clothes than in modern ones. Some people just look old-fashioned. Rock that five-head!

Pickles posted a picture of Jinger in pants that fit well. I like them. I think her outfit looks casual and cute. 

IMG_2580.PNG

As a former skirts-only fundie, I would say that pants are a big deal just because they show that she's willing to reconsider her childhood upbringing. It may be a tiny issue, but it does show that she's able to think for herself. (Provided Jinger is truly making her own decisions here, and not just obeying Jer)

I know it was a huge step for me to buy and wear pants. And I wasn't even forced into skirts-only, I chose it myself thanks to peer pressure and modesty teachings when I was a teen. Jinger has been in skirts her entire life. 

Being married (or even just having normal, honest guy friends) can can also help combat the effects of fundie-modesty teachings, IMO. At least in my case, I was finally able to hear a guy call bs on all those "men will stumble upon seeing your shoulder" and other ridiculous  teachings. 

I'm really hopeful that JinJer will gradually ease into a more mainstream Christian position...

(Also, this thread has me craving NY style pizza. And I live in the Midwest. Waaah.)

I like the relaxed feel of the last outfit. She looks really comfortable too. I even think her hair looks better so maybe she has gotten into a new routine which is more hair friendly.

I have to lol at that picture of jinger  because she's wearing almost the exact outfit I'm wearing now black trousers/jeans (sorry I can't bring myself to say pants because that means undies here) and a grey jumper :pb_lol:

Michelle looks stunning in that People photo. I was not really a fan of the hairstyle they gave her in the make-over episode with Cindy. It may have looked modern, but it made her actually look older.

6 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

Being married (or even just having normal, honest guy friends) can can also help combat the effects of fundie-modesty teachings, IMO. At least in my case, I was finally able to hear a guy call bs on all those "men will stumble upon seeing your shoulder" and other ridiculous  teachings. 

This, I think, is what has always confused me about modesty dressing. Surely just walking down the street and seeing all the men not raping and attacking all the women who are showing shoulders is enough to make people question the teaching? 

Not having a go at you RebelliousEscapee but I honestly am confused as to how they explain the non- mass -molestation going on in any given street on any given day to their daughters? By their teachings shouldn't the beach also be one big orgy?

5 hours ago, Jilli said:

Paige on Trading Spaces was the absolute worst. I used to love that show, but now I don't miss it so much. 

Nope, Hilde was the worst, would damage your house while making it fugly. Her crap was not easy to undo.

Chicago pizza, that is all. I really don't give a rats arse what any of the Duggars wear, or any of the fundies for that matter. Same with hair. That's just me though.

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

And now I'll say something equally controversial in some places - Chicago style is not pizza. It's an abomination. :pb_lol:

I'm joking on both by the way. As long as you aren't forcing me to like what you like, we're good. I really do dislike Chicago style though. 

I'm glad you were just joking! We have all styles of pizza here, not just Chicago style. I don't eat thick crust pizza, too many carbs. And I will put our pizza up against pizza from anywhere. We are a food city, not just pizza! 

8 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Honestly, this is what makes me feel better about my five-head and tiny mouth. I used to work at a renaissance faire when I was a teenager, and I dabble in reenacting, and I look much better in historical clothes than in modern ones. Some people just look old-fashioned. Rock that five-head!

I'm the exact same way! Sometimes I'll put it in a milkmaid braid and you can basically see me circa 1590. 

8 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Also, the same way. I am so pale, I glow in the dark but have freckles that would give a proper lady vapours. Also rocking a five head. *sigh* 

7 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

As a former skirts-only fundie, I would say that pants are a big deal just because they show that she's willing to reconsider her childhood upbringing. It may be a tiny issue, but it does show that she's able to think for herself. (Provided Jinger is truly making her own decisions here, and not just obeying Jer)

I know it was a huge step for me to buy and wear pants. And I wasn't even forced into skirts-only, I chose it myself thanks to peer pressure and modesty teachings when I was a teen. Jinger has been in skirts her entire life. 

I'm really hopeful that JinJer will gradually ease into a more mainstream Christian position...

(Also, this thread has me craving NY style pizza. And I live in the Midwest. Waaah.)

It seems that people who come from a similar background as you, give the Pants a bit more significance than those who don't.  I come from a mainstream background, but have lots of friends who were skirts only due to their churches.  And I can tell you it was a big deal to them to start wearing slacks.  One friend of mine was terrified to go home the first time wearing slacks.  Her husband was in the military and they were stationed out of state.  She came home for a holiday and decided to wear slacks, but was truly scared of the reaction she would get from her parents.  She endured a very frosty reception by the family, followed by a serious talk from her mother that she was very concerned about her daughter's sinful life and insisting she move home so she wouldn't be compromised by living on base among  more worldly people.  They preferred her to live away from her husband until his service ended and they moved home.  And this was because of a pair of slacks. 

I think it is significant for Jinger too, but  we don't yet know in what way.  Is it significant because she has a more modern marriage and is making her own decisions?  Is it significant because she is now answering to a different headship and he has ordered her to wear slacks?  Is it significant because she wants a way to publicly show she has separated from her parents in some small way?  Is it significant because she and Jeremy are sharp and realize that a pair of shorts and some slacks gets them a ton of free publicity via social media for their new "Brand"?  Who knows. 

I think Jeremy is ambitious and not above refining Jinger's image to fit his needs.  I think Jinger is eager to make a life away from the TTH.  And though she probably would have stayed in skirts forever, had her husband requested that,  she probably was very quick to embrace any suggestion of changing up her fashion. 

And I have a bit of advice for Jeremy.  If you really want to lead a church, Why do the same old thing?  I mean honestly,  you can't drive a mile without some Fundie church in front of you, when in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, etc.  So instead of doing the same old thing Jeremy,  why not do something new.  Start a church that is modern and progressive.  One that focuses on love, acceptance, charity, empathy, etc?  One that works for peace and justice and welcomes all.  One that is so strong in faith that it sits comfortably at the table with Science, Logic and Humanitarianism?  One that understands that the only true faith comes from free will, not from coercion, forced ignorance, legalism.  One that doesn't preach being passive in your life, awaiting God's will, but encourages its members to pursue their dreams and their calling, because that is God working within them.  One that recognizes that our earth is in terrible trouble and our faith calls us to protect the earth and the animals. 

You now have a head start because you have a modicum of fame that could really be a place to start.  If you actually moved away from the damaging patriarchal churches you have been aligned with so far, you might find even more support. 

But, I doubt Jeremy is very open minded so the most I can hope for is that he will be a gentle and patient headship. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived