IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

57 minutes ago, motelmum said:

This, I think, is what has always confused me about modesty dressing. Surely just walking down the street and seeing all the men not raping and attacking all the women who are showing shoulders is enough to make people question the teaching? 

Not having a go at you RebelliousEscapee but I honestly am confused as to how they explain the non- mass -molestation going on in any given street on any given day to their daughters? By their teachings shouldn't the beach also be one big orgy?

You're right, but they get around this by asserting that while men don't actually rape women on a daily basis, they have to continually resist the primal urge to undress women in their minds. Things like the book "For Women Only" and the Modesty Survey put out by the Rebelution help spread this, and "locker room talk" and the like help reinforce it in people's minds. Dressing provocatively might not result in actual rape, but you can "cause your brother to stumble" (sin by lusting) by being immodest.

Furthermore... fundie kids (and even adults) pretty much view mainstream folks as having scary, sinful lives all the time. So some of them might even imagine that some public beaches do have orgies, and they'd have very little life experience or exposure to combat such notions.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

You're right, but they get around this by asserting that while men don't actually rape women on a daily basis, they have to continually resist the primal urge to undress women in their minds. Things like the book "For Women Only" and the Modesty Survey put out by the Rebelution help spread this, and "locker room talk" and the like help reinforce it in people's minds. Dressing provocatively might not result in actual rape, but you can "cause your brother to stumble" (sin by lusting) by being immodest.

Furthermore... fundie kids (and even adults) pretty much view mainstream folks as having scary, sinful lives all the time. So some of them might even imagine that some public beaches do have orgies, and they'd have very little life experience or exposure to combat such notions.

Well, said.   The kids are so protected that when they are given a very skewed sense of the modern world, they have to way to really test that reality to see if it makes sense.  They are hindered in their critical thinking and very sheltered, so when their authority figure tells them something,  they can't look at it and say "Wait a minute,   that doesn't make sense".  And if they do question something, it wouldn't  be hard to find examples in modern film, TV etc that would actually reinforce their worst beliefs.  After all, the world is a pretty dangerous place and there lots of examples of things like human trafficking that are real world horrors that are probably used to prop up the very distorted views they share with their children.    And I am sure they tell lots of stories about kids who left their parent's umbrella of protection and ended up committing mortal sins.  For example  They could point to some of the LBGT kids who left patriarchal situations and tell them if you don't follow your father, evil will take hold and you will become homosexual and be doomed to a life of depravity and hell.  They can point to someone like Anna's sister and say if you don't follow your father,  you will get pregnant outside of marriage and will be forever known as a whore, and your family will disown you. 

When you are only 8 or 9 years old,  those are powerful lessons and every time something bad happens in the outside world, it is used as a lesson in how dangerous it is to live any other way.  The lack of education will keep them without the skills to use reason and logic and reality testing.  Obviously some kids inherently are bright enough to start questioning things.  But many are not able to, until years later. 

And lest we ever forget,  the mindset of these people has evil within it, disguised as faith, but evil non-the-less.  I will never forget the clip of Michelle in that last episode with the big group interview, talking about why they dress modestly and how women are responsible for inciting lust by being immodest.  And as she talked,  there sat her child molesting son with his daughter on his lap, there sat her husband, who engineered the cover up, there sat all the boys learning they were not responsible for their own lust, and,  AND,  there sat their daughters, several of which were victims of their brother.  They sat there and had their own mother basically say Men aren't responsible , Women are. 

On 4/22/2017 at 1:00 PM, bella8050 said:

As far as the pizza and bagels discussion - having grown up in NY and NJ, the times I have thought about moving elsewhere I legit thought "I won't make it someplace without good pizza!" I have heard Florida has some good places started by NY transplants. Bagels I can live without, but pizza is a dealbreaker! Every time I've moved the first thing I do is look for a good place. I remember in college the area was filled with chains which I don't mind, but it took me months and s bit of luck to find a real shop. 

Everything in Florida is a lie.

57 minutes ago, calimojo said:

And I have a bit of advice for Jeremy.  If you really want to lead a church, Why do the same old thing?  

That is why, he has a Duggar daughter! That makes him different. ;) 

I had a fundie explain the whole lust thing to me once in terms of adultry.  I shit you not.  They thought that thinking of someone else like that and god forbid kissing a girl you didn't marry was both lusting after someone you weren't married to and kissing another man's wife (who by the way no one is married to yet) I think I ate 3 flies that day waiting for my jaw to come off the floor.  

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

Start a church that is modern and progressive.  One that focuses on love, acceptance, charity, empathy, etc?  One that works for peace and justice and welcomes all.  One that is so strong in faith that it sits comfortably at the table with Science, Logic and Humanitarianism?  One that understands that the only true faith comes from free will, not from coercion, forced ignorance, legalism.  One that doesn't preach being passive in your life, awaiting God's will, but encourages its members to pursue their dreams and their calling, because that is God working within them.  One that recognizes that our earth is in terrible trouble and our faith calls us to protect the earth and the animals. 

Well said. This is the kind of church that I believe Jesus would want to see. Bible literalists would never want a church like this. They simply cannot see the forest for the trees.

On 4/22/2017 at 1:23 PM, missegeno said:

I'm going to say something extremely controversial. NYC pizza is incredibly overrated. It's good, but people act like there's no good pizza outside of the boroughs.

WORD.  But I lived in Chicago for 20 years.  THAT is real pizza.  NY pizza cannot compare.

(Don't hit me, NY peeps!  haha)

13 minutes ago, HandHoldingHeathen said:

WORD.  But I lived in Chicago for 20 years.  THAT is real pizza.  NY pizza cannot compare.

New York pizza is my favorite by a mile, but there's good pizza to be had all over the US. I've lived in three corners of the US in various sized cities, and all of them had multiple local restaurants that used pizza ovens and fresh, high quality ingredients. 

Bagel culture, on the other hand, is lacking outside of NY for the most part. If I've had a good in-house made bagel outside if NYC, I'm pretty sure it was made by transplants from there. 

Chicago has an amazing food scene, but Chicago style pizza is the least appealing aspect of it to me personally. I mean at good, but I'd rather eat hot dogs.

11 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I had a fundie explain the whole lust thing to me once in terms of adultry.  I shit you not.  They thought that thinking of someone else like that and god forbid kissing a girl you didn't marry was both lusting after someone you weren't married to and kissing another man's wife (who by the way no one is married to yet) I think I ate 3 flies that day waiting for my jaw to come off the floor.  

While I agree that sounds batshit crazy, it's actually Biblical. 
"You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." -Matthew 5:27-28

So if a man looks at a woman and just thinks about playing boom-boom with her, it's the same as committing adultery. Of course, that verse doesn't say anything about it being the woman's fault because her knees were showing. That's just a fun little twist the fundies put on it.  

1 hour ago, HandHoldingHeathen said:

... it took all my self-restraint not to down vote this... some things are simply inexcusable... :pb_lol:

Just now, aurora_boo said:

What's a five head?

I think it's higher than a normal forehead.

Just now, Four is Enough said:

I think it's higher than a normal forehead.

Yeah it just means that someone's got a massive forehead.

When I visit my Grandma in Delray I get good bagels at a place called Brooklyn Water Bagels.  But it is difficult to get good bagels outside of NY.  Worst bagel I ever had was in San Fran.  Total hockey puck.   And I still don't understand why outside of LI/NYC you can't get a good roll for an egg sandwich.  Boggles my mind.  I'm a big supporter of NY pizza, I will say that there are SOOOOO many pizza places and you get some not good or even bad pizza diluting the good stuff.  Chicago pizza is a totally different product.  I consider it a savory one crust pie really. I love a good thin crust slice.  Although I do really enjoy a good grandma's slice.  Yum! 

My favorite clip to add to this discussion.  Jon Stewart discussing crappy pizza in NY via Trump. 

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/0ect4f/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-me-lover-s-pizza-with-crazy-broad

If you want New York style pizza, then the best is in New York (or New Haven). But there are other types of pizza and they all have their fans. We have a place here that has a bunch of really good pizzas, but the traditional tomato sauce pizza isn't worth ordering, IMO. 

Top 10 Pizzerias in the US. 

Pizza....I LOVE pizza. From the cheapest, shitty frozen pizzas to my own home made pizzas...I don't give a shit...gimme a pizza. 

Still trying to find good pickles though. 

As long as we are talking food, I couldn't believe the lack of decent Mexican food in Hawaii. It was Midwest levels of bad. BTW, I'll take a (good) burrito or carne asada over a pizza almost every time. 

23 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

As long as we are talking food, I couldn't believe the lack of decent Mexican food in Hawaii. It was Midwest levels of bad. BTW, I'll take a (good) burrito or carne asada over a pizza almost every time. 

I take offence to this, I'm in Iowa and we have AMAZING Mexican food, i'm not talking Chilli's or some such chain shit, I'm talking real Mexican's in a 1980's motor coach converted into a food truck making tacos and empanadas.  You can get authentic food here, you just have to know where to go. There is a large Mexican/SCA population here so we have some really good restaurants if you are willing to "slum it" on the east side of Des Moines, which I am.  

I take offence to this, I'm in Iowa and we have AMAZING Mexican food, i'm not talking Chilli's or some such chain shit, I'm talking real Mexican's in a 1980's motor coach converted into a food truck making tacos and empanadas.  You can get authentic food here, you just have to know where to go. There is a large Mexican/SCA population here so we have some really good restaurants if you are willing to "slum it" on the east side of Des Moines, which I am.  

This. Nebraska has plenty of good Mexican food now too. We have an amazing sit down restaurant in our little town owned by immigrants. Don't even have to go for food trucks. There is a large immigrant population in much of the Midwest now.

49 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is Iowa really the Midwest though? I grew up in the Midwest and considered Iowa to be "heartland" i think. Besides, my experience is not your experience, but my experience tells me that there was very little decent food (in general) to be had outside of Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc; and Mexican food was hard to come by unless you want a sloppy american style burrito with lettuce and cheese and bean goop. 

Damn it now I want a burrito, not my carefully calorie controlled lunch. Or pretty much anything else. :(

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Is Iowa really the Midwest though? I grew up in the Midwest and considered Iowa to be "heartland" i think. Besides, my experience is not your experience, but my experience tells me that there was very little decent food (in general) to be had outside of Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc; and Mexican food was hard to come by unless you want a sloppy american style burrito with lettuce and cheese and bean goop. 

Damn it now I want a burrito, not my carefully calorie controlled lunch. Or pretty much anything else. :(

We are kind of no mans land, no one really pays us any mind until election season every 4 years, then they are pissed that they have to remember we are a state.  And yeah, that doesn't sound like a burrito to me, that sounds nasty. 

Any kind of pizza is better than St Louis.. even the weird ones I saw in Japan (Corn and Potato on a pizza, anyone?)

Or maybe I'm lumping all st louis pizza into the disgustingness that is Imos. Blech, that's the only pizza I've ever not liked.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived