IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

4 hours ago, Kak said:

Fake or not it always boggles my mind how they ask for so much crap stuff.  There are eleventy billionty babies in that family. They don't reuse or hand down anything? These people!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yes, there are surprisingly few restaurants near the National Mall. Every summer I have to explain that to cranky tourists. I also love the restaurant at the National Museum of the American Indian. It's expensive even by DC standards, but it's right across from the Air & Space Museum, it's (reasonably) authentic and delicious, they welcome kids, and little boys think Indians are cool. So it's probably a good choice. Try not to go right at lunch time.

Do you have some idea of what cuisines you want GrandWolf to try?

There are a bunch of food trucks nearby the mall! They're kinda expensive though... when I bought two ice creams for my boyfriend and I it cost $10

The food at the Museum of the American Indian was very good. It was worth it for us to have a nice lunch instead of leaving the Museum.  We were only there for a few days and wanted to maximize our Museum time.

Bring your most comfortable shoes, you will be walking a lot!

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Taking grand wolf to D.C. in June. Any suggestions for food that won't break the bank? He wants to go to Gettysburg.  Can we get there without taking a  bus tour? 

Gettysburg is great!  Think it's about 1.5 hours from DC, but worth the ride.  DD went to college there, so I've spent some time on the battlefield.  You can take a tourbus around, or stop at the visitors center and pick up a CD for a self guided tour, or a map is even cheaper ;)   My personal favorite was basically following a private or bus tour around, standing just outside the group and listening to the guide!  LOL  I didn't feel bad about that because I had paid for quite a few before getting to that point.  You may want to take one of the ghost tours too---kinda goofy but fun!

44 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yes, there are surprisingly few restaurants near the National Mall. Every summer I have to explain that to cranky tourists. I also love the restaurant at the National Museum of the American Indian. It's expensive even by DC standards, but it's right across from the Air & Space Museum, it's (reasonably) authentic and delicious, they welcome kids, and little boys think Indians are cool. So it's probably a good choice. Try not to go right at lunch time.

Do you have some idea of what cuisines you want GrandWolf to try?

It is not too far of a walk or a quick metro ride to Penn Quarter or Chinatown for restaurants from the Mall.  That is if Metro isn't is usual fucked up self.

My favorite Gettysburg trip was the one where we went to the visitor's center and hired a docent to drive our car around the battlefield and talk about the battle to us. It was great!

You can also take a tour of the battlefield from one of those fresh air double decker buses. You get your own headphones. That loads from near the Wax Museum. You can get a twofer price.

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

My favorite Gettysburg trip was the one where we went to the visitor's center and hired a docent to drive our car around the battlefield and talk about the battle to us. It was great!

You can also take a tour of the battlefield from one of those fresh air double decker buses. You get your own headphones. That loads from near the Wax Museum. You can get a twofer price.

Yikes! Flash back! There was a place called The Wax Museum which was a club/music venue in D.C. When I was doing the clubbing concert thing it was the place to go. Are there any old time folks who know about it?  It was in South West just below L'Enfant Plaza.

34 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

It is not too far of a walk or a quick metro ride to Penn Quarter or Chinatown for restaurants from the Mall.  That is if Metro isn't is usual fucked up self.

Second that. My recommendations in Chinatown are Tony Cheng's Mongolian Barbeque and Chinatown Express (get the house-made noodles in soup, stir-fries, or as dumplings). Nando's Peri-Peri is a step above the usual fast food (it's spicy or herbed rotisserie chicken and good sides). That's around the corner from Chinatown on 7th St. 

46 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Second that. My recommendations in Chinatown are Tony Cheng's Mongolian Barbeque and Chinatown Express (get the house-made noodles in soup, stir-fries, or as dumplings). Nando's Peri-Peri is a step above the usual fast food (it's spicy or herbed rotisserie chicken and good sides). That's around the corner from Chinatown on 7th St. 

we have nando's here and I concur about the peri perii :)

and i tried the chipolte children's quesdeia and it was great (both spelled wrong) 

Definitely if you are going to Philly go to Reading Terminal Market. It was one of my favorite places to go when I would go into the city. I always stopped by the Termini Brothers and got a cannoli as a dessert. 

My Gettysburg story: my fiance and I once toured this cemetery by where we used to live in Lancaster, PA. The first officer to die at Gettysburg is buried there. When we went to tour the cemetery, there was this lady there who was obsessed with this guy (John Reynolds). After we left we snarked pretty hard on her. A couple weeks later we went to Gettysburg to do the car tour (on one of the days of the battle) and it starts where this guy John Reynolds died. We started talking about the crazy Reynolds lady. As we were walking back to the car, there she was, sitting under a tree, gazing at his memorial. Every time we have gone to Gettysburg since then, I wonder if she will be there. 

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I didn't see this yet on the thread but my family is going to a cousin wedding in Chicago and I wanted food recommedations.

Is there anything in particular you guys want to try?  

On 4/26/2017 at 4:43 PM, louisa05 said:

That's why you shouldn't live in Iowa. ;) There are currently 27 regular direct flights out of Omaha. Destinations, aside from hubs, include Seattle, Miami, San Diego, Vegas, Washington DC, Orlando, and many more on both coasts. 

And, as I said before, Our food scene has been noted in many national publications. The latest talked about food destination around here is a place literally in the middle of nowhere Nebraska in an unincorporated village. 

As many have said, every place has its great local food. I once ate a steak in Washington D.C. I will never order one outside of Nebraska again unless it is Nebraska beef. Worst piece of meat I ever ate. Our steak is hard to beat and the price in the grocery store is hard to beat as well. 

My oldest lives in Omaha, and we all really like the city.  Great food and fun hotels.  Lots of pretty, older homes, and not bad for driving.  There are lots of hip little niche neighborhoods, and again, the food really is good.  Sure, there are tons of chain restaurants, but if you branch out from that you can find a lot of really good food, from great pub food to very expensive high end places.  Politically NE is fairly conservative, but Omaha and Lincoln are like most cities, a good mix of liberal/conservative.

Just now, calimojo said:

My oldest lives in Omaha, and we all really like the city.  Great food and fun hotels.  Lots of pretty, older homes, and not bad for driving.  There are lots of hip little niche neighborhoods, and again, the food really is good.  Sure, there are tons of chain restaurants, but if you branch out from that you can find a lot of really good food, from great pub food to very expensive high end places.  Politically NE is fairly conservative, but Omaha and Lincoln are like most cities, a good mix of liberal/conservative.

Douglas County, which is Omaha, now has more Democrats than Republicans. The registration shifted just prior to the 2016 election. 

We are just north of Omaha and, while we don't want to live in the city (I did for six years--and after growing up in little towns, I am not a city girl), we love living near enough to take advantage of everything it has to offer. As you said there is a lot of great food. The zoo is world class and we get a cheap membership now through Mr. O5's company. The arena brings a lot of great concerts and world class national and international sporting events (U.S. Swim Trials for the last two summer Olympics, Figure Skating Nationals, FIVB World Grand Prix Final, NCAA basketball, NCAA Volleyball Final Four, World Equestrian Championships to name a few). We have an amazing and FREE Shakespeare festival every summer, touring Broadway shows and other music events at the world class Holland Center...

There is a lot more to do beyond the great food and hotels next time you are in town!! 

Oh we have done all kinds of things while in Omaha.  But most people were talking food upthread so that is why I mentioned it.  The Lauritzen gardens are really nice too.  It feels like a perfect sized city for me.  Big enough to have lots to do, but yet, it isn't a complete and total pain in the ass to get from point A to point B. 

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm in the US and despise bumbo seats as many of us do.  My grandchildren also loathed them and saw them only as something to learn how to escape.  I'd say average total time per grandchild in a bumbo was around 10 to 15 minutes.  Grandson specialized in turning them over and trying to roll away.  There is definitely not a big push on keeping infants lying flat though.  Daughter's pediatrician discouraged that although he also discouraged extensive time in the car seat.

I'll second this one ~ my two boys despised them, and honestly they had some thick baby thighs, so the window to even use them in the first place was pretty small.  Under three months, they're heads rolled all over the place haha - but over three months, and they were like, "This is entrapment!"

My pedi also didn't recommend keeping them in any position for too long (lying flat, being propped up, car seat, etc.)

As for prams: we did the car seat into the store-carry and then just put it in the buggy lol.  Later when they didn't automatically pass out after being in the car, we just used a stroller with an adjustable back. 

12 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Philly? We are trying to plan a vacation there this summer.   In the spirit of always trying what is local, I think we need to try some Philly cheese steak. I've never had one.  From what I've seen, they look like something that could be super horrifically gross if you go to a bad place, or super terrifically good if you know where to go. Anybody know where we can find the good ones? 

I'm a pescetarian so I can't personally attest to it, but I've heard from multiple people that Jim's on South Street is good.

Gettysburg. I live less than an hour away. It's where I was in girl scouts in 6th grade and on a 5 mile hike with a brewing stomach bug and fever which broke out 1/2 way through the hike, and then many years later there again with my in laws and realized as i vomited on a hot August day that I was pregnant with our first baby. I equate Gettysburg with being sick to my stomach. Apart from my own personal issues, a really somber yet cool place to visit.

Here the popular systems are the three in one. You get the frame and wheels, and then you have the pram, car seat, and then a stroller seat, which you can change as the baby grows. And the car seat is almost not even used. Babies go from pram to stroller directly

It is not recommended that newborns stay in their car seat for more than 30 minutes, so all of those travel systems are kinda baffling (and sad) to me. Don't do it. Also a baby doesn't seem very snug in a stroller. Here you can get carrycots to put on the stroller frame, for when the baby is little. 

(In Denmark you can get prams where the baby can lie flat up until age 2-3 years) 

14 hours ago, Kak said:

It's definitely fake - if the due date was real she'd be about 5 weeks pregnant (known for probably about a week) and would definitely NOT know the babies gender for probably another 12 - 15 weeks. I don't get why people do stuff like this... it's so weird to me. 

17 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also Philly make sure you go to the reading terminal! Has every type of food you can imagine somewhere I always go to whenever I want to go downtown. @PreciousPantsofDoom

I didn't see this yet on the thread but my family is going to a cousin wedding in Chicago and I wanted food recommedations.

Where in Chicago will the wedding be held?  Downtown or out in the suburbs?  Lived in the burbs for 20 years so I am familiar with the food scene and can help you out...

They certainly sell prams in the US,but I've never known anyone to actually use one and I'm a mom with little kids. Bumbo seats are definitely frowned on, but I personally think the problems with them are a but overblown as long as the kid isn't very young. They aren't too comfortable looking, though. 

There isn't a big push here to get baby flat on the back all the time, only for sleeping. There's actually a push to get them off their backs to avoid flat heads! 

Baby wearing is currently very popular as an alternative to the car seat systems. I personally loved my car seat system for when I was popping in  store for five minutes and didn't have to drag a newborn out of the car seat for a short journey.

There are tons of great restaurants if you're willing to go a few blocks away from the national mall to the northwest. Chinatown has everything! 

2 hours ago, srosieb827 said:

It's definitely fake - if the due date was real she'd be about 5 weeks pregnant (known for probably about a week) and would definitely NOT know the babies gender for probably another 12 - 15 weeks. I don't get why people do stuff like this... it's so weird to me. 

I highly doubt it's real but I could see the Duggars learning from Jills first pregnancy and putting up a fake date. It felt like Jill kept getting asked about her due date and that created a lot of anxiety, maybe Jinger would want to keep it private. But it's more likely someone trying to scam free items. 

9 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Gettysburg. I live less than an hour away. It's where I was in girl scouts in 6th grade and on a 5 mile hike with a brewing stomach bug and fever which broke out 1/2 way through the hike, and then many years later there again with my in laws and realized as i vomited on a hot August day that I was pregnant with our first baby. I equate Gettysburg with being sick to my stomach. Apart from my own personal issues, a really somber yet cool place to visit.

Do you live in York? I used to live in York.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived