IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

1 hour ago, Galbin said:

As a lady who soon hopes to TTC, I am curious about this. What happens if there is not enough spacing between kids? How did Jessa get lucky?

Thanks.

She didn't get lucky. Plenty of women have babies that close (and closer) and the vast majority are absolutely fine. It's healthier to wait at least a year or two before getting pregnant again, but unless you have some kind of underlying condition it's generally not a big deal. 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My OB recommends 18 months to 5 years between pregnancies. Having pregnancies less spaced out than 18 months does not mean than the mom's health is in danger or the baby will not be healthy. It just means that there is a higher risk for something going wrong.

1 hour ago, BadMammaJana said:

Oh hey, I was a HS freshman during the 9/11 attacks. I think we watched tv in all my classes that day, or we just talked about how we felt about what was happening. I remember that we were all scared about a war, and if they would bring back the draft because of it. I also remember the skies being quiet and it was weird not seeing an airplane in the sky because I lived fairly close to a small airport. I also remember being kinda scared when there were planes flying around again. 

Other big news I can remember throughout my life (and probably not in order) 

-Rodney King beating and the riots that followed.

-JonBenét Ramsey's murder trial.

-The OJ Simpson trial. I don't even remember hearing about Robert Kardashian, Sr., but I do recall all the other attorneys, and Judge Ito.

-That mass Heaven's Gate cult suicide.

-The Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding scandal.

-Heidi Fleiss trial 

-Lorena Bobbitt cutting her husband's dick off.

-Selena Quintanilla's murder.

-Princess Diana's death. 

-Biggie and Tupac's murders.

-Brandon Lee's death. 

-Ellen Degeneres coming out as a lesbian.

-The Monica Lewinsky scandal. 

-Elian Gonzales being saved from the raft.

-Aaliyah's death. 

We're probably close to the same age. Born in 86/87/88? Class of 05/06?

5 minutes ago, zee_four said:

We're probably close to the same age. Born in 86/87/88? Class of 05/06?

Yep, born in '87, and c/o '05. 

"Do you know Jill personally?"

Fortunately, I do not know any Duggar personally but figured out what they are - a CULT - the first time I watched them on t.v.

A little research brought up Gothard, Quiver cult, and the total insanity of their lives.   For years, their fans denied it and thought them just a cute, old fashioned Christian family --- they are a particularly toxic form of fundamentalism dressed up as "godly" and preying on the weak minded for support, their finances depend on that and JimBob is very sly.   It took Josh being outed as the pervert he is to set people straight - and to this day, they still have rabid fans.

It does not take personal knowledge to realize how completely stupid Jill is.   To her obviously low i.q., her parents managed to add a barely functional command of English, no knowledge of the world or how to deal with it, and abject terror of not being in her group hive.

The parents have crippled all their children, we will see a great deal more of that as the kids get older.    So far, it's engagements, weddings, births -- that is ALL they aspire to and all they are trained for.   What happens when they get older and/or JimBob's t.v. money runs out?   

Jill cannot form a coherent sentence, uses the same rote words constantly, cannot be alone, is afraid of anything new, Spanish lessons were too much for her even though knowledge of that language is imperative to that "ministry" she and her very strange husband have "purported to undertake".

What does it take for you to see the poor girl's very severe limitations?  

JimBob and Michelle should be punished for what they have done to their kids, not paid by TLC and People rag.

I can't get over that their Skills training" is how to make a piñata. They need white American missionaries for that?

Maybe a bit behind but I remember when Mother Teresa died- they broadcasted it over the intercom at my school. My first real vivid memory was when Kerri Strug landed her vault at the 1996 Olympics. I was eight years old and I wanted to be Kerri Strug so badly that I made my parents buy me an ace bandage. I was in the eighth grade when 9/11 happened and it was picture day- my homeroom teacher was watching and didn't realize we were coming back into the room and we walked in when the second plane hit.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:22 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

Back to Jill & Derrick - heart condition and unknown allergy and the both saw doctors. The good news is they go to see doctors, real MDs. Did Derrick say he is on allergy meds? He could also have blockage or polyps in his nasal cavity. The possibilities are near endless. TLC making this a plot line seems on point for them. It's everyday stuff. Now because these are the duggars, Derrick going back to a real job or going to a real missionary that would be a good plot line. Derrick & Jilly - did you know that you don't have to go to S America to help? You could just go up in Appalachia and help. Or they could go back to NC and help out in Dare county (OBX). The year-round residents of Dare County are a lot like the resort workers in the Caribbean, hidden from the rich vacationers. They seemed to enjoy the ocean on their honeymoon. http://www.obsentinel.com/news/in-resort-setting-some-dare-residents-struggle-with-poverty/article_1fd28c6e-823b-11e5-ac16-cb2a1b402bd2.html 

As someone who has more than one family member with congenital heart conditions, one with a very rare birth defect, it makes me so uncomfortable that they would just shrug off a potential heart condition.

2 hours ago, BadMammaJana said:

Yep, born in '87, and c/o '05. 

Okay, I feel old. I received my Bachelor's Degree in 1987. Let me grab my walker and shuffle off to bed now....

The Dullards really are frustrating. If they truly had a "servant's heart", there are many things they could actually do to help people. Instead, they go on a vacation to SCA so they feel better about themselves, because they're bringing Jesus (the "right" Jesus -- their version) to all these heathen Catholics.

heh...old is a relative thing @GreyhoundFan ^_^

my first memories of an historic event:  I was about 10 and lived in Texas when the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis happened....that was truly terrifying because nobody would talk to us kids about it, neither at home or at school, they just talked around it...we were all convinced that we could be blown to kingdom come at any time, don't think I was ever the same after that

7 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

As someone who has more than one family member with congenital heart conditions, one with a very rare birth defect, it makes me so uncomfortable that they would just shrug off a potential heart condition.

I kind of felt like the heart condition thing was just made up drama for TV? The way it read, and the fact that Jill never followed up on it (a nice poor me story for doners) also makes me think that. 

9 hours ago, patsymae said:

I can't get over that their Skills training" is how to make a piñata. They need white American missionaries for that?

I felt embarrassed just READING about that. Don't know why. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:02 PM, Ali said:

I remember watching the Berlin Wall come down. I remember my mom making a big deal about it and I didn't really care.

OK, I take back my earliest TV memory...I remember Bobby Kennedy's funeral.  Or, more accurately, the train carrying his body.  The train went through my town, and it was on TV (disrupting my cartoons!)  My grandma told me I shouldnt complain and to watch it as it was history.  Let me say I was VERY young! LOL

13 hours ago, BadMammaJana said:

-JonBenét Ramsey's murder trial.

ummm, that didn't happen? no one was ever charged in her murder...

you know, i was reading through jill's update and was pleasantly surprised by her writing - it really doesn't seem that bad! but then i realized i might just think that because i've been reading a lot of the maxwell posts lately...they've set the bar very, very low for me.  

Oh, Jill's writing is awful. I would be so embarrassed if that was my post. Hell, I get embarrassed when I see mistakes I have made on FJ. I can't believe Derrick didn't make corrections before Jill posted it. He is letting her make a fool of herself. This is a woman who is intends to homeschool her children, yet cannot write a halfway decent blog post on how they are wasting the time and money of others. Is it horrible that I want to print it out and correct it with red ink? 

I feel like such a child compared to most everyone else on this site. I'm only 23. 

On the other hand, I do enjoy all the free advice I'm receiving :)

2 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I feel like such a child compared to most everyone else on this site. I'm only 23. 

I absolutely love the age range here. We've got people who are 18 all the way through to people in their 70s (and hopefully older?) - it's awesome and allows so many different perspectives!

3 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I felt embarrassed just READING about that. Don't know why. 

So did I. How is teaching someone to make a pinata supposed to give them the skills they need to support themselves or a family? Are pinatas even a part of El Salvadoran culture or are these missionaries just thinking that all Spanish speaking Brown people are the same?

2 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

So did I. How is teaching someone to make a pinata supposed to give them the skills they need to support themselves or a family? Are pinatas even a part of El Salvadoran culture or are these missionaries just thinking that all Spanish speaking Brown people are the same?

I think it goes towards being very basic with these basic people.  I have no  clue on how to teach these people....perhaps they learned that the basics of teaching how to pin something is how life works

I have no clue...but there is no way for Jill to make it even sound interesting or fun then why tell the viewing public?

17 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Their next skill they teach: How to make tacos. 

3 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

ummm, that didn't happen? no one was ever charged in her murder...

There wasn't a trial but the investigation was an absolute circus. Apparently it was even why Columbine had so much immediate national and international coverage since all the news outlets were in town waiting to cover a supposed development in the Jon Benet investigation. A lot of DA offices in Colorado are incompetent, arrogant and flush wirh tourism dollars but without a lot of actual crime. Boulder isn't rural but it's definitely far from real world. Same thing happened with Kobe Bryant in Eagle.

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

Oh, Jill's writing is awful. I would be so embarrassed if that was my post. Hell, I get embarrassed when I see mistakes I have made on FJ. I can't believe Derrick didn't make corrections before Jill posted it. He is letting her make a fool of herself. This is a woman who is intends to homeschool her children, yet cannot write a halfway decent blog post on how they are wasting the time and money of others. Is it horrible that I want to print it out and correct it with red ink? 

Where can I find this update? Does she blog?

Sorry, I don't know what it is people are referencing.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I wish that the Internet as it is now and FJ has existed when I was 23. I would have learned so much from FJ Grandmas, mums,aunties and occasional Dads. Life may have been so different.

1 hour ago, Lizzybet said:

Where can I find this update? Does she blog?

Sorry, I don't know what it is people are referencing.

Thanks.

The link is on page 8 of this thread. 

I don't understand making a piñata as a skill that their class needs to learn. Will this get them a job in a piñata factory? Do they make them and then sell on the street? What about the painting? I am sure it's painting a picture not a house. Wouldn't teaching them carpentry, sewing or cooking be a better skill? It doesn't seem that they are teaching anything to help those in the community become self-sufficient. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived