IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

Interesting thread topic! My first news memory I remember was the 2000 election.  I was so young, like 4 years old but I remember my dad playing the election coverage on the news and I remember seeing the votes show up in the text on the tv screen, though I could not read at that point still.  I remember it being so cool and I recall asking my mom one day how people become president and like if my dad would be able to become president. only logical in the mind of a 4 year old I suppose. lol.

The second one is 9/11. I was almost 6 and I was in kindergarten.  I didn't know much of it that day but I remember the next day our teacher had a conversation with us about it, and how some bad people did something that shouldn't have been done, etc. but I still remember that vividly, because even though it was hard to grasp, I could tell that everyone was being so serious about it that it was important. 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel so old, with many of ya'lls memories being 9/11!  Eek!

I don't remember much tv before the age of 5/6....I don't think we watched alot.  I remember old, original mickey mouse club reruns sometime before age 5.  But my first big remembrances are of the 1980 election, and the olympics that year.  I remember going with my mom to vote that year, then watching the results on tv.  

(And as a military wife....watching the events of 9/11 unfold....I knew life as we knew it was over, and deployments and war were to follow.  It was an added stress, on top of all that was unfolding already.  Also...almost none of our husbands were home...they were practicing war games in the field for a month, so we were at home alone, not sure if our spouses would return from the field, or go straight to wherever....)

2 hours ago, nst said:

summer ahead of 9 11 when Gary Conduit was on Larry King Live endlessly 

The only person in America who felt a sense of relief on 911, Gary Condit.

OMG- he keep complaining that people in the media were reporting that his wife had "no thumbs."

On 9/11 I remember saying the footage of the planes hitting the towers, and asking my mom what happened to the people inside the buildings.

I remember thinking it cannot be that serious, since my parents would have sent me to my room if it was, right?

But that day my parents completely forgot I was watching with them, and just stood in front of the TV in complete disbelief.

d3a4e6747d1a091028dfb53ca5f1f9cf.jpg3f82d89e0fce23cc0bb513db8b2e2eed.jpg

Well, it's nice that people are figuring out that the Dillard's are scamming them.

It is so interesting hearing the 9-11 memories from those of you who were in elementarty school when it happened! I was 13 at the time, so my memories of that day are probably similar to what people who were adults that day remember. I always wondered how "the children" would remember 9-11. The only memory I have of that time that is on par for a 13 year-old was finding an article in the Weekly World News (i.e. one of those old "aliens are real" tabloids) declaring that Suddam Huissein and Osama Bin Laden were secret lovers, and using the photoshopped picture of them gazing adoringly at each other as my binder cover ALL through 8th grade! :pb_lol:LOL, I also cut out the love poem from the article, and taped it between their adoring gaze, haha. The poem went: "Sun and sand, sand and sun, haste ye my darling, come come come!" :pb_lol:

My earliest news memory is either OJ or the Mary Kay Letourneau case. I remember my mom using the Mary Kay Letourneau case to teach my sister and I about grooming, and how to watch out for bad people like Mary Kay who might try to do the same thing to my sister and I. 

@Iamtheway...Damn now I just watched a 2-hour documentary on Hillsborough instead of writing my essay. It's so sad and horrible. Especially how it was handled by police & legislation afterwards. 

Question: Does anyone else have 'false memories' i.e.: you know you weren't alive but it's been discussed so much that you feel like you were? I wasn't alive for Princess Diana's wedding but after detailed descriptions from family and watching videos; I feel like I was there. Same with the 2000 election, I vaguely remember. The first concrete memory was 9/11 but I do also have recollection of watching local news and hearing of murders and/or gang violence every day. 

To the poster who said that they feel disconnected from late 90s/20s millennials despite being a few years older; I'm a 96 baby - just turned 21 a week ago - and feel incredibly disconnected from those 4-5 years younger. It freaks me out that someone born in 2002 has hit puberty. I feel like they should be 9 or something. These teenagers are so grown nowadays; and cool looking. I was not in chokers and crop tops at 13 with a working knowledge of contouring and an iPhone 6. At 13, we still had dial up connection to the internet and the Jonas Brothers were wearing purity rings. 

Technology and media culture are moving so quickly nowadays. 

On 3/20/2017 at 11:15 AM, EmmyJay said:

My first real memory of a current event was the Columbine shooting, which was a big deal because I live in Colorado. My mom wasn't happy sending me too school for the next while. Mostly I'm miffed about it making a huge deal about bullying ( not that having ways to deal with bullying is a bad thing) because those two kids where horribly mentally ill and I wish they could've gotten real help.

People I've talked to who were in high school at the time vs young elementary like I was, often talked about schools becoming ridiculous towards anyone who was in anyway alternative.

All the way across the country, we were banned from wearing trench coats to school after Columbine. Seems quite silly now, but I think they felt they needed to do *something.*

5 minutes ago, Casserole said:

All the way across the country, we were banned from wearing trench coats to school after Columbine. Seems quite silly now, but I think they felt they needed to do *something.*

I remember my school installing security cameras - it seemed so strange to think that the same type of shooting could happen at my school. We did have an incident the next year when a random drunk guy walked into one of the modular classrooms (I don't know what they are called now, but it was a classroom in a freestanding modular building, like a double wide trailer). There weren't any students in the room at the time, but the teacher was there. The drunk guy started yelling, another teacher overheard and called 911. The police took the drunk guy into custody, then found a loaded shot gun in drunk guy's car.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

d3a4e6747d1a091028dfb53ca5f1f9cf.jpg3f82d89e0fce23cc0bb513db8b2e2eed.jpg

Well, it's nice that people are figuring out that the Dillard's are scamming them.

I agree with Nora C Conley, but I don't think the Catholic church is the oldest Christian religion.

According to some IFB they have the oldest church. They can trace it right back to Jesus! 

4 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I agree with Nora C Conley, but I don't think the Catholic church is the oldest Christian religion.

Catholics count St Peter as the first pope.  The history of early Christianity is fairly murky,  but most of the local churches merged into the greater Catholic church.  As early as the Second Century, Irenaeus of Lyon consider the head of the Church of Rome to be the head of the church as did the Eastern Patriarchs.  I hope someone what more knowledgeable about this can chime in.

According to Wikipedia, Catholicism is the earliest form of Christianity.

Learn something new everyday, I guess. (Luckily for me, I'm a lapsed Catholic or this would be embarrassing).

Sorry, Nora C Conley!

I can't remember a specific memory aside from hearing on the news about car bombs or people being killed in Northern Ireland every day. In my innocence, I asked my mother why didn't people just move? I also remember when Nelson Mandela was set free. 

As a practicing Catholic, I have never understood why these extreme sects think our beliefs are wrong. The principles of Christianity are all the same to me.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Catholics count St Peter as the first pope.  The history of early Christianity is fairly murky,  but most of the local churches merged into the greater Catholic church.  As early as the Second Century, Irenaeus of Lyon consider the head of the Church of Rome to be the head of the church as did the Eastern Patriarchs.  I hope someone what more knowledgeable about this can chime in.

Before the reformation there was no Catholic Church as we think of it today, rather Catholic simply meant to universal Christian church. St Peter is considered to be the first head of the Church in Rome - because during the reformation most churches were splits from the old church they can also trace right back. 

It gets tricky when considering the Eastern Orthodox churches because they split long before the reformation and have just as old and traditional history as what we now call the Roman Catholic Church. 

Eastern Orthodox claim to be the one true and original church established by Jesus when he sent the apostles on the great commission 

Sorry, cant get rid of the spoiler box  :/  Being that my first TV memory was the WaterGate hearings and the first Olympics I paid attention to was the Munich Games....hostages and all, I might just be too old for technology!  LOL  And just to address 9/11, well I lived not too far (as the bird flies)  one plane flew right over my head.  My youngest was about 6, and remembers that time very clearly.  It was, in no uncertain terms, terrifying.

9 hours ago, Icea said:

I feel really sorry for their second kid. When Jill was pregnant with Israel both she and Derick were obviously in a much better mental state and seemed to really look forward to the birth of their child (with the weekly pregnant stomach pictures and all) and with this pregnancy we've hardly had any pictures or tweets about the upcoming birth. It's bad enough that that child will be born into ATI/IBLP, but this one will have the added "bonus" of seeing how differently his brother was treated even before birth (The way Jill and Derick went on about it, you'd think Isreal was the second coming of Christ).

I guess it's possible that they do have a lot of pictures that they just haven't shared this time around, but I really doubt that.

I'm seriously enjoying the drift, so I won't make this long.

Its entirely possible that Jill or they both are experiencing fear or anxiety over this pregnancy and delivery. Jill went through a lot when she delivered Israel - yes, a lot of that was due to poor choices on her part, but still. She had a rough time and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the radio silence is due to that.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My family has a weird thing with celebrity deaths, Elvis died on my dad's birthday, Princess Diana died on my birthday  JFK Jr died on my brothers birthday. JFK Jr and Carolyn got married the same day I DH & I did. We came back from out honeymoon in the Bahamas and saw the news magazines that they married 9-21-96, I thought that was cool (why I have no idea). 

I have vague recollection of Columbine, I had an 18 month old and was about 8 weeks pregnant, totally mommy & pregnancy brain going at that time, the late 90's early 2000's are a completely blur of infants and toddlers. 

Sandy Hook on the other hand, UGH, I still cry thinking about that. So many young kids, adorable, sweet, baby faced little kids, and fucking assholes saying it was a false flag because guns and freedom and some other such bullshit. 

Don't even get me started on this. I lived two towns over when it happened. I know families who lost loved ones. I would look at the front page of the local papers in each morning and see photos of those beautiful faces or those tiny caskets. I witnessed the media frenzy and the aftermath firsthand. Anyone who claims it was faked should expect my size eight shoe straight up their ass and out their mouth. 

MY theory is that she understands clearly the potential issues with Zika but due to the way they get prenatal care she may not be able to know if there are going to potentially be issues. This might make her afraid to bond with the baby(and celebrate)  because of stress over if the baby is going to have issues.  

I have some comments.

How did this thread grow so quickly without me noticing?

@Destiny, 'twas @VelociRapturewho tried to get this thread back on topic.

I am incredulous that I remember EVERYTHING EVERYONE HAS MENTIONED.

Why is the memory of Lorena Bobbit chopping off her husband's penis not burned into anyone's memory?  (For those of you who don't know this story, don't worry, the doctors surgically reattached it :cracking-up:)

I guess that's it for now. Lost my train of thought. 

Ok, now I feel old. First very vague news memory was the moon landing in '69. I'd just turned 4. Next one was the birth of Sasha Trudeau, current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's younger brother, born on Christmas Day in 1973 to then-Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.

3 hours ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

My earliest news memory is either OJ or the Mary Kay Letourneau case. I remember my mom using the Mary Kay Letourneau case to teach my sister and I about grooming, and how to watch out for bad people like Mary Kay who might try to do the same thing to my sister and I. 

I was married on the same day and year as Mary Kay and Vili Fualaau. Guess which couple is still married and which is not...:pb_eek:

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I was married on the same day and year as Mary Kay and Vili Fualaau. Guess which couple is still married and which is not...:pb_eek:

they were just on Barbara Walters saying they were 

2 minutes ago, nst said:

they were just on Barbara Walters saying they were 

Yep, it is most def. not me. :GPn0zNK:

I married the same day and year as the Clinton's. Guess who's had the best marriage?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived