IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

Oh yes, this is bringing me back. I very clearly remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. I also remember the Gulf War on the news. At least the fall of the Berlin Wall was a happy event!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My abiding memory of the Gulf War is that a girl in my class at the time lost her dad. I'm not sure if I remember the details correctly but my memory is that he wasn't killed in action, he got into a fight on his ship which somehow seemed even more tragic to me.

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

There were three Trudeau brothers, Justin (1971), Alexandre "Sasha" (1973) and Michel (1975-98?).

An interesting side note:  Both Justin and Alexandre were both on Christmas Day.

I kind of remember the challenger crash. I also remember the LA riots but, only because my school had a few national guard service persons there for a few days.

2 hours ago, Topaz said:

My abiding memory of the Gulf War is that a girl in my class at the time lost her dad. I'm not sure if I remember the details correctly but my memory is that he wasn't killed in action, he got into a fight on his ship which somehow seemed even more tragic to me.

There was a story near me about a man who had survived 9/11 and later that week died falling off a ladder while putting an American flag outside of his house. Absolutely horrible. 

Someone asked about an event that was remembered even before you were alive?

Watts riots. Probably only realized since I was in the city of the Black Panthers growing up, although not in the neighborhoods to which they gave kids breakfast, etc. The first class vote I can remember was Nixon v. McGovern. Typical of my district, McGovern won, and we even had a song (consider our age):

Whistle while you work/Nixon is a jerk/Put on your grin when George comes in/And whistle while you work. 

Yes, it's bad, but shit, we were 9 and this was the first election any of us could remember. 

I also vividly remember the Olympic massacre in the summer of '72. Jim McKay announced, "They're all gone." At that moment, I was with my best friend and her family who are Jewish . Horrible, horrible, horrible. I'll never, ever forget that. 

I remember thinking right off the bat that Scott Peterson had killed Lacy and Coonor. Instinct.

Amy Fisher and Joey Buttafuco..

The Menendez brothers trial

I feel like I remember watching the Blue Jays win in 93, but I'm pretty sure my Dad has just told me so many times about how I got up and sat with him. So we just quietly watched the game together and were both really excited. I don't think I actually remember it, just that I have been told about it so often, that I think that I do. Plus the Joe Carter home run has been replayed soooo many times. Yeah, I don't think I remember it. 

26 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I feel like I remember watching the Blue Jays win in 93, but I'm pretty sure my Dad has just told me so many times about how I got up and sat with him. So we just quietly watched the game together and were both really excited. I don't think I actually remember it, just that I have been told about it so often, that I think that I do. Plus the Joe Carter home run has been replayed soooo many times. Yeah, I don't think I remember it. 

I had tickets for Game 8 of that series.  (The Jays won in 7, so I never got to go).

The Carter home run is absoutely iconic here in Canada.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't remember the Jays winning, but I definitely remember seeing Blue Jays paraphernalia everywhere that year. I asked my grandma what it was and she said, "A bird." I mean... she wasn't wrong. :pb_lol: Someone else explained to me that it was something to do with baseball. I think I made a mental note of that and went back to worrying about important things, like eating peanut butter and brown sugar sandwiches. Oh to be five again.

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

I also vividly remember the Olympic massacre in the summer of '72. Jim McKay announced, "They're all gone." At that moment, I was with my best friend and her family who are Jewish . Horrible, horrible, horrible. I'll never, ever forget that. 

HBO had a documentary about Jim McKay. He said that he knew that the family of one of the athletes who were killed, who was an American wrestling for Israel, were watching and that he took that as a huge responsibility. He then said it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do. I thought he handled it well.

My first memories...watching the Monkees on TV...so....1966-67? I remember the body counts on the evening news during the Vietnam war, Apollo 11, Nixon/McGovern and the day Nixon resigned (hell, I was 10 by then). 

I remember seeing Bill Clinton on TV when I was really little (like toddler age), Diana and Mother Teresa's deaths, and the OKC bombing. I remember seeing the coverage of Timothy McVeigh while the trial was going on, and I remember getting so many nightmares from it.

19 hours ago, Ali said:

I remember watching the Berlin Wall come down. I remember my mom making a big deal about it and I didn't really care.

I also remember the Gulf War fairly well. There was a kid who live don my street that I occasionally played with and was also in my class whose dad was deployed to Iraq. We could not talk about it in class withotu him crying. It helped make it real to me and understand that  horrors of war. His dad came home safe from that deployment.

I remember both 1992 Olympics. I was so excited to see Kristi Yamaguchi win gold and I was obsessed with gymnastics during the summer Olympics. I became a huge fan of Shannon Miller.

We lived in a small town near a military base during the Gulf War, so it was a very big deal in day-to-day life. Everyone in town put out yellow ribbons. A lot of my classmates had parents deployed. The base is one of the primary combat training centers, and there was a noticeable build up in the area - there were always convoys of military vehicles around, but more during the war. My babysitter's boyfriend had just enlisted, and I remember her being really freaked out that he might deploy. She was also concerned that a prolong war would lead to a draft.

I remember seeing my Grandmother crying and asking why ad my uncle told me Elvis died.  I didn't know who Elvis was so he had to explain.  I was 8.

My first news memory is watching the John Glenn space launch in 1962 and watching them get him out of the ocean after he orbited the earth. I also remember playing on the floor in front of our black and white TV while President Kennedy gave a series of talks. I wasn't following what he was saying but now I know it was the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Jill finally wrote an update about their time in SCA. I'm sure you all were waiting with bated breath ;)

http://www.dillardfamily.com/dillard family blog?ID=3200fb62-ae81-4eb7-b505-38906e74912a

She talks about several different health problems of the helpers and the locals that they've met, and "divine appointments" to share gospel tracts. Seems like the same old, same old to me.

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I don't remember the Jays winning, but I definitely remember seeing Blue Jays paraphernalia everywhere that year. I asked my grandma what it was and she said, "A bird." I mean... she wasn't wrong. :pb_lol:

When I was really little I asked my mom what "affair" meant and she gave me this nervous, careful explanation about cheating on one's spouse. Really wasn't helpful because I was asking about the news show "A Current Affair".

9 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Jill finally wrote an update about their time in SCA. I'm sure you all were waiting with bated breath ;)

http://www.dillardfamily.com/dillard family blog?ID=3200fb62-ae81-4eb7-b505-38906e74912a

She talks about several different health problems of the helpers and the locals that they've met, and "divine appointments" to share gospel tracts. Seems like the same old, same old to me.

Praise the Lord!?!?!?

How do they have "Divine Appointments" if they don't speak Spanish? 

How do they do skills training if they don't speak Spanish. 

I will say no more as to not be disrespectful of the poor native residents of these countries that they are torturing with their Divine Wisdom. 

Guess I am bad. 

12 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I'm a lot more interested in what people's first memories are than the Dullards. :D 

I have vague memories of 96-97 the strongest memories of Princess Di, the Atlantic Olympics especially gymnastics, Clintons election, to name a few of but strangely not the OKC bombing. Columbine (4/20/99) is my clearest substantial memory that I actively comprehended and that stayed permanently in my consciousness but I was in middle school not far away so we were under lock down and my mom went to the Catholic church down the street so we went to the funerals there including a friends older brother.  At the end of that year another friend and I were picked up by her cousin who'd recently gotten out of the hospital he'd been shot in the face. I'll always remember being horrified by his injury. My friend and I were obsessed with Sculpey clay at the time and I believed her when when told me thats what they'd fixed his jaw with. Didnt realize it at the time or consciously decided to but in retrospect I stopped playing with it almostly immediately after that.

One of my first memories of a major news event was the engagement announcement of Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer when I was 4 . The other major event that really left a lasting memory was the Challenger explosion which happened when I was in the 3rd grade, because my classmates and I heard it happen live (the only TV in the school was in the principal's office and she broadcast it over intercom while my class was at lunch).

There's also a photo, and Jill looks really big for someone who is supposedly only five months along.

39 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There's also a photo, and Jill looks really big for someone who is supposedly only five months along.

I saw that and thought something is strange here 

is she only supposed to be 5 months ?

another big baby -

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived