IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

6 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I felt embarrassed just READING about that. Don't know why. 

They're teaching pinatas?  Isn't this a part of Mexican culture?  They do know they're not in Mexico right?  What in the hell? 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

They're teaching pinatas?  Isn't this a part of Mexican culture?  They do know they're not in Mexico right?  What in the hell? 

Pinatas aren't absolutely unheard of in El Salvador and other Spanish=speaking countries*, but are most closely associated with Mexico and are most common there.    It's incredibly insulting of the Dullards to be teaching piñata making to the people of El Salvador.  Pinatas are not terribly El Salvadoran and, if they were, El Salvadorans would be able to teach these stupid folks a good bit about making them.   

*Of course, they're not exactly unheard of here in the US either:  Every time I see a piñata , I think of dear sweet lovebird, Gus.  He had a piñata hanging beside his cage which he tore to shreds.

How can these idiots teach any skills to "the locals" when they can't do anything themselves?!? JillyMuffin doesn't seem capable in pretty much anything, and definitely not in midwifery based on decisions she made with her own labor. Had she gotten a real education instead of Gothard shit she might be very helpful at a local clinic. Derick.... well he at least should be able to teach some bookkeeping and such to locals who want to start home businesses. But no, these two idiots (can you see I really, really detest the Dullards...) just give out tracts to people who are already believing in God, and bake some banana bread to "bless" the locals who live in serious poverty under the threat of constant violence. Now that helps a lot, thank you Dullards!

6 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

How can these idiots teach any skills to "the locals" when they can't do anything themselves?!? JillyMuffin doesn't seem capable in pretty much anything, and definitely not in midwifery based on decisions she made with her own labor. Had she gotten a real education instead of Gothard shit she might be very helpful at a local clinic. Derick.... well he at least should be able to teach some bookkeeping and such to locals who want to start home businesses. But no, these two idiots (can you see I really, really detest the Dullards...) just give out tracts to people who are already believing in God, and bake some banana bread to "bless" the locals who live in serious poverty under the threat of constant violence. Now that helps a lot, thank you Dullards!

If anything, it should be the locals teaching the Dillards important life skills.  The Dillards literally have nothing to offer these people other than their warped interpretation of Christianity.  All the tracts and Gothard teachings in the world are not going to result in anything positive.  

3 hours ago, nst said:

I think it goes towards being very basic with these basic people.  I have no  clue on how to teach these people....perhaps they learned that the basics of teaching how to pin something is how life works

I have no clue...but there is no way for Jill to make it even sound interesting or fun then why tell the viewing public?

I know several rural Salvadorans and they are not so "simple" that they need Americans to help them with children's crafts in order to get them ready for learning. Which is what it seems like you're saying 

6 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

ummm, that didn't happen? no one was ever charged in her murder...

That would be me. I tried to edit, but my phone is being an ass. This is what happens when I tried to play the what do I remember game while being sleep deprived by a teething baby. 

2 hours ago, zee_four said:

There wasn't a trial but the investigation was an absolute circus. Apparently it was even why Columbine had so much immediate national and international coverage since all the news outlets were in town waiting to cover a supposed development in the Jon Benet investigation. A lot of DA offices in Colorado are incompetent, arrogant and flush wirh tourism dollars but without a lot of actual crime. Boulder isn't rural but it's definitely far from real world. Same thing happened with Kobe Bryant in Eagle.

Wow, I had no idea that's why Columbine was immediately covered.

Yep, born in 87 and high school class of 05 @BadMammaJana We probably have many similar experiences of how 9/11 unfolded for us. I can remember just about everything I did that day because of what was happening, right down to the hour. And one thing I remember is how clear blue the skies were, even here in Iowa, as they were in New York City.

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Their next skill they teach: How to make tacos. 

From an Ole El Paso kit ;) 

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

The link is on page 8 of this thread. 

Thank you! Oh jeez, that was bad.

I do think, aside from really AWFUL homeschooling, Jill might have some cognitive disability.

If I learn to create a pinata, will it drastically change my living conditions? If so, I'll wiki how that right away.  

4 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

Thank you! Oh jeez, that was bad.

I do think, aside from really AWFUL homeschooling, Jill might have some cognitive disability.

Wow, that's a bit much, don't you think? I read the latest update. She's not a great writer, but probably no worse than the average public school graduate. Her writing is awkward, but she was more or less successful in getting her message across. Her grammar wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. I didn't notice any glaring spelling or formatting errors. She uses a lot of Christianese, but that's a symptom of her upbringing. I can't see anything suggestive of a cognitive disability of any kind. 

Funnily enough I've always gotten the opposite impression: that Jill probably has an IQ on the higher end of average, maybe even slightly above average, and that she could have easily succeeded in school and at university studying something like nursing (which is what she wanted to do before I'm sure she was guilted out of it by her parents) if she had been given the opportunity.

On March 20, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Carm_88 said:

I vaguely remember the 96 Olympics in Atlanta, I do remember Donovan Bailey winning the gold meal in the 100m. I was obsessed with speed skating after the 98 Olympics in Nagano, Catriona Le May Doan was my hero for so long. The Winter Olympics have always interested me more than the Summer ones but I did love Rio. :) 

And you don't remember Elvis Stojko in Nagano?  How can you be Canadian? Lol

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wow, that's a bit much, don't you think? I read the latest update. She's not a great writer, but probably no worse than the average public school graduate. Her writing is awkward, but she was more or less successful in getting her message across. Her grammar wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. 

That's almost insulting to public school graduates. Jill is writing at about a 5th grade level and that's being generous.

I normally don't give their website clicks, but since Jill wrote this herself I had to. I can't say I'm shocked at how terrible it is, but it's so glaring to see an adult post on a website like that. She can't even be formal enough to use the "lady" or the poor girl who passed names? She also seems to have lost her train of thought in a few different places.

I'm sorry but her blog post is trash. If you have a public domain and are expecting people to fork over their hard earned money for your missioncation, you'd think you would proof your post and clean it up a bit.

The lady training people got hurt and these dumb Dillard's don't bother to see if she is okay or requiring any help with chores. They don't bother to be substitute teachers for the class, but offer a business course? Nobody comes because they know how lame they are. Derick takes credit for some guy getting saved while he is in America. These dumbasses just treat it all like a game . "Roll the dice move your mice"  Where should be go next?  There is a pastor that lives there full time and does all the work, while they play games.  Then they have the balls to take credit for it.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That's kind of insulting to public school graduates. Jill is writing at about a 5th grade level and that's being generous..

I disagree completely. I honestly think people are overhyping how 'terrible' her writing is because they don't like her. I don't like her either, and I don't think she's a very good writer, but her writing is not nearly as atrocious as it's being made out to be, much less indicative of a cognitive disability.

Just now, singsingsing said:

I disagree completely. I honestly think people are overhyping how 'terrible' her writing is because they don't like her. I don't like her either, and I don't think she's a very good writer, but her writing is not nearly as atrocious as it's being made out to be, much less indicative of a cognitive disability.

I think cognitive disability is a stretch but it really is awful. Especially when it's supposed to be a professional mission update. If she was posting on a forum like that, I wouldn't be so critical. 

Granted, I do find Jill to be really, really, dumb. But bias aside, it's still terrible. 

36 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wow, that's a bit much, don't you think? I read the latest update. She's not a great writer, but probably no worse than the average public school graduate. Her writing is awkward, but she was more or less successful in getting her message across. Her grammar wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. I didn't notice any glaring spelling or formatting errors. She uses a lot of Christianese, but that's a symptom of her upbringing. I can't see anything suggestive of a cognitive disability of any kind. 

Funnily enough I've always gotten the opposite impression: that Jill probably has an IQ on the higher end of average, maybe even slightly above average, and that she could have easily succeeded in school and at university studying something like nursing (which is what she wanted to do before I'm sure she was guilted out of it by her parents) if she had been given the opportunity.

No, I don't. She seems much less on top of things than her sisters, anyway. I don't include Jana because she's a puzzle, to me.

For an adult woman, one who was given an education in a VERY nice ratio of teacher/student, she's lagging badly.

It's not as though she was expected to come up with an original piece of fiction, or give a report on some literary work.

Just now, Lizzybet said:

No, I don't. She seems much less on top of things than her sisters, anyway. I don't include Jana because she's a puzzle, to me.

For an adult woman, one who was given an education in a VERY nice ratio of teacher/student, she's lagging badly.

It's not as though she was expected to come up with an original piece of fiction, or give a report on some literary work.

What education? What teacher?

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What education? What teacher?

Exactly! She never had a chance. 

And being less bright, she fared even worse.

What I want to know is how come all of these damned missionaries who have been "helping" in this village couldn't do more for the tragic 13 yo girl who died.  She was clearly poverty-stricken, in dire family circumstances, and possibly ill (why else did she die?). And yet, it is all okay because she heard about Jesus before she died. Where's the outrage, the fervor to actually change these kids's lives for the better? (Yes, creating a cottage industry can help but i am talking safety, sanitation, education, etc.)

Just now, Lizzybet said:

Exactly! She never had a chance. 

And being less bright, she fared even worse.

Right. She never had a chance. But I've never gotten the impression that she's naturally not a very bright person. Now I'm not arguing with you here, because this is completely down to personal perception - neither of us knows Jill, and neither of us is qualified to evaluate her intellectual capabilities.

Like I said before, I would guess that Jill has an average or slightly above average IQ and has worked as hard as possible to quash any intellectual spark within her in order to be the perfect fundie daughter, and now wife and mother. She's always craved approval and validation. Being an intelligent woman is not at all valued in her circle. Being sweet, trusting, happy and nice is. To me her incoherence has always seemed more a symptom of her focus on being Miss Model Fundie rather than any innate lack of intelligence.

Josh, Jill, and Josiah always seemed to me to be the most intelligent of their siblings, and they are also the ones who, so far, seem to have struggled the most with the boxes they've been forced to fill. I don't think that's a coincidence. But I'm also not trying to claim that any of them are geniuses. Far from it. And I often think that Jill is dumb as bricks, but it's more of a self-imposed dumbness. She could have cultivated her intellect if she'd felt she was allowed to. 

I know so many people who graduated from high school with average grades and are terrible writers. Absolutely awful. But they are not intellectually disabled in the least. Writing just isn't their thing. And that's ok. It's just crazy that Derrick doesn't bother proof reading her stuff.

20 hours ago, Ali said:

My OB recommends 18 months to 5 years between pregnancies. Having pregnancies less spaced out than 18 months does not mean than the mom's health is in danger or the baby will not be healthy. It just means that there is a higher risk for something going wrong.

My OB says that your body is designed to do everything possible to have a healthy baby- so maternal vitamin/mineral stores can be depleted during pregnancy and giving it some space allows those to get built back up. After I had my third, I was shocked that my iron was so low I needed a transfusion. I didn't have a lot of bleeding or anything- but apparently it was just the strain of my third baby! Regular prenatal care helps with that (and taking your vitamins, healthy diet)- but there are some issues for the mom with back to back pregnancies. They used to say women lost a tooth for every baby 

I taught high school English for a couple of years, and Jill's writing doesn't seem far off from an average sophomore's writing. 

Writing and reading are so intertwined. It would be really hard to develop writing skills, when she wasn't allowed to read much other than the Bible growing up.

Let's not forget that thus far, Jill has been the only Duggar female to enroll in some sort of training or education apart from bible study classes. I know that her CPM certificate is light years away from what most on his forum would consider a qualified medical certificate or license, but it is SOMETHING. It shows that she is (was) motivated to learn- most of which was self driven studying.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know so many people who graduated from high school with average grades and are terrible writers. Absolutely awful. But they are not intellectually disabled in the least. Writing just isn't their thing. And that's ok. It's just crazy that Derrick doesn't bother proof reading her stuff.

It's also possible that Dreck doesn't or couldn't catch anything.  Since he was trained as an accountant, I'm going to guess that he's more of a numbers guy.  He may have not taken many or any classes requiring writing once he was finished with his general ed.  There are a lot of people who don't write well, even after graduating college, unfortunately.

I'm also pretty sure that there's only one poster here strongly claiming and clinging to the "Jill has a low i.q." theory, though there were some likes for that comment.  Asserting that one can diagnose cognitive impairment via a scripted reality show is more than a bit of a stretch, and imo, not the best look for a poster or for the site, though it doesn't break any rules.  We all know those kidults were horribly stunted educationally, but blatantly denigrating them is beneath us.  They all had shitty starts, but there is still the hope that they can choose to create better futures for themselves. So far, the married Duggars are off to rocky beginnings, but they still have opportunity and agency.  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived