IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

Is saying "man" and "woman" frowned upon by Jill? I don't know exactly why, but it bothered me reading "guys" and "lady" written seventeen billion times in that update.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Jill finally wrote an update about their time in SCA. I'm sure you all were waiting with bated breath ;)

http://www.dillardfamily.com/dillard family blog?ID=3200fb62-ae81-4eb7-b505-38906e74912a

She talks about several different health problems of the helpers and the locals that they've met, and "divine appointments" to share gospel tracts. Seems like the same old, same old to me.

Nooooo! Don't bring the thread back on topic. The thread drift is much more interesting and has actually gotten me thinking about a lot of old stories. The Dillards almost never get me thinking anything but a frustrated ”graaahhh”.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:44 AM, TeddyBonkers said:

The earliest world news event that I can remember was Operation Desert Storm, and I was 10. Full disclosure-I had to look up if the Nancy Kerrigan thing was before or after it, because I remember that too.

Same for me.  I was 9 when it started. 

My husband is 2 years older than me and remembers the Challenger disaster - he would have been 7 at the time.

That moon landing in 1969. I wanted to watch Kool and the Gang instead, and either my grandpa switched the station or my music show was pre-empted by the astronauts, can't remember which, but I was bitter.  Still am. 

3 hours ago, nst said:

I saw that and thought something is strange here 

is she only supposed to be 5 months ?

another big baby -

Just saw the picture and yikes, she does look like she's 8 or 9 months pregnant! :pb_eek:

Does anyone know the protocol for VBACs? Could the size of the baby prevent you from having one (i.e. if Jill's new baby is as big as Israel or bigger, will she be able to have a vaginal birth or would it be considered too risky and she'd be recommended to have another C-section)?

My first news memory is about the war in croatia in the beginning of the 90s. I remember my dad was shocked about a war this near, or maybe he was just shocked. The next news memory i have was the death of Lady Diana, I think it must have been the first news I was old enough to understand the tragedy of. Or maybe it was because someone famous who I "knew" died. I remember watching the funeral.

Jills missionary update smells like the attempt of an justification. As if she scratched all the little things together that can be interpreted as godly so that they can be identified as good missionaries. 

9 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Jill finally wrote an update about their time in SCA. I'm sure you all were waiting with bated breath ;)

http://www.dillardfamily.com/dillard family blog?ID=3200fb62-ae81-4eb7-b505-38906e74912a

She talks about several different health problems of the helpers and the locals that they've met, and "divine appointments" to share gospel tracts. Seems like the same old, same old to me.

To sum up for those who don't want to read through Jill's SOTDRT writing:

We have some missioncationers living in our White People Compound. They're even more useless than we are. You're welcome, Central America.

We go to a village where we are slightly less insulated from brown people. The lady who's actually doing something constructive for the community and for some godawful reason lets us barge in to talk about Jeebus was injured (the nerve) and some of Derick's lackeys decided not to show up to our event we could barely run without the local lady who's far more competent than us, so we just shoved pamphlets at the six people who came and pretended we did a good job. Trump's team should hire us as event planners.

A girl in the village died tragically and I'm only kind of sad about it because she only rolled her eyes and muttered "this gringa" four times when I told her about how Hayzoos is muy bien, which means she was saved and she's not going to burn in hell for all eternity.

I met a bunch of girls who probably understand my sect's theology as well as I do, but I'm white and rich so I automatically know more than they do. They are not allowed to approach me until they learn more buzzwords.

Derick is tagging along with an actual local pastor, and one guy converted, so clearly we are successful and need another $24,000, hint hint.

We're bribing people with food and annoying people at basketball games.

An old lady had an asthma attack. I "checked her vitals" with my baby-disabling medical training. Thankfully I didn't kill or disable her. Yay for me.

Even though our Spanish is atrocious, we are appropriating the three Spanish expressions we understand to make us feel like we're "going native" even though we think most of the people here are criminals, devil worshipers, or poor benighted savages.

6 hours ago, eandre31 said:

Is saying "man" and "woman" frowned upon by Jill? I don't know exactly why, but it bothered me reading "guys" and "lady" written seventeen billion times in that update.

I noticed that! She also says "fellas" once but otherwise never men/women.

Her writing is truly horrible. The worst: "please be praying". How about just "please pray".

More and more she resembles that other Jill to me on this board. Add 11 more children and 200 more lbs to Derrick (both couples are D+J) and it's like twinsies, SEVERELY.

5 hours ago, Icea said:

Just saw the picture and yikes, she does look like she's 8 or 9 months pregnant! :pb_eek:

Does anyone know the protocol for VBACs? Could the size of the baby prevent you from having one (i.e. if Jill's new baby is as big as Israel or bigger, will she be able to have a vaginal birth or would it be considered too risky and she'd be recommended to have another C-section)?

that might be also a reason why we have not seen any pictures. She is farther along and won't admit it. 

just a thought because last time it was different....

But I am on this theory 

14 minutes ago, nst said:

that might be also a reason why we have not seen any pictures. She is farther along and won't admit it. 

just a thought because last time it was different....

But I am on this theory 

Personaly I don't think she's further along than she'll admit, as they won't fool anyone with a 10lb preemie. I do think that she will have the worst plane ride ever when they come back to USA. 

1 minute ago, Gillyweed said:

Personaly I don't think she's further along than she'll admit, as they won't fool anyone with a 10lb preemie. I do think that she will have the worst plane ride ever when they come back to USA. 

and as a woman who doesn't have a child  please enlighten me why ? is it because you shouldn't sit for so long when you are pregnant or what ? :)

26 minutes ago, nst said:

and as a woman who doesn't have a child  please enlighten me why ? is it because you shouldn't sit for so long when you are pregnant or what ? :)

Do you remember how big she was last time? Try to squeeze that in an airplane seat. I've never been pregnant either, I'm just guessing :pb_lol:

28 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Do you remember how big she was last time? Try to squeeze that in an airplane seat. I've never been pregnant either, I'm just guessing :pb_lol:

Yup, like trying to stuff 10 ponds of sausage in a 5 pound sack with a full bladder.

Re: Jill being bigger with this pregnancy for how far along she is. I would disagree to an extent, because I think people have forgotten how big Jill got with Israel (especially when she was 41+ weeks, I seriously felt bad for her). 

Here are bump pictures from her first pregnancy, at 19 weeks and 28 weeks. (I couldn't find any pictures from in between those weeks).

Spoiler

IMG_6453.JPGIMG_6452.JPG

And here is the picture posted in their recent update (very blurry thanks to having to zoom in). If Jill is due in July, she would be somewhere between 22-26 weeks along. 

Spoiler

IMG_6451.PNG

Jill probably just carries large.  I did, and had people nervous that I was going to pop at any moment when I was barely seven months along.  I went to the hospital to visit a friend who'd just given birth and the second I stepped foot on the maternity ward nurses were charging at me asking if I was in labor and who my doctor was.  It was another few weeks before I went back to have my own 8lb 5oz baby, and by then I was overdue.

A few months earlier another friend of mine was full term and in labor when she went to the hospital and stood around in the lobby waiting for her mother to join her.  She was only ushered upstairs when the check-in lady noticed her grimacing and clutching her stomach.  Then my friend was practically thrown in a wheelchair and taken upstairs because the woman at check-in assumed that someone carrying so small must surely be in premature labor.  The maternity nurses got a kick out of that because my friend had been there the day before in false labor.  My friend was the same height as I was, but while I was charitably considered big-boned, she was called small-boned.  Her baby was just under seven pounds.

But nothing tops this other woman I knew.  For a brief time we were roommates until she got married.  I knew she was pregnant and was due any day.  When I ran into her at the store she was wearing sweat pants and had only a small bulge, so I assumed she'd had the baby already.  Imagine my shock when she said she was still pregnant, and already a few days overdue!  It was another shock to hear that she had her baby just a day or two after that, and that kid was a ten pounder!  I don't know how she fit such a large baby into her average sized frame when she had such a tiny baby bump.

I do wonder if Jill ever got her muscle tone back in her abdomen after the Section. She might be carrying large, and she might not have such good muscle tone, and I hope all goes well with her delivery.

Don't forget that you usually show more after your first pregnancy, because your body's now done the initial work of stretching ligaments and expanding bones. Most women show faster and larger from their second pregnancy on. And considering she already looked large with her first baby, who was big, and wears unflattering (non-)maternity clothes, she looks about right.

On 3/20/2017 at 8:54 PM, choralcrusader8613 said:

This brought up my memory of doing that in elementary school for one of the presidential elections, and I always felt so uncomfortable about it. At that age, all it is is seeing which parents are conservative or liberal.

My parents had completely opposite political views. As did my aunt and uncle. So for me, my brother and three of our cousins, we actually were making a choice as we heard two sides at home. 

I suspect that was not completely unheard of for Gen X and prior when the ideological divide between the parties was not so huge. 

What I have found as a teacher in elections in more recent times is that many, many younger kids are not even exposed to political discussion at home. Even some high school kids are not. A lot of parents have a notion that kids should be "protected" from the "ugliness" of politics until they turn 18 and can vote. I heard this constantly from parents during the latter part of my full time teaching career (2000-2010). They would call and try to demand that no current events be discussed in social studies courses including American Government. I always asked how they intended to flip a switch on the kid's 18th birthday and make them suddenly aware of and interested enough to vote. 

11 hours ago, nst said:

I saw that and thought something is strange here 

is she only supposed to be 5 months ?

another big baby -

Well she was pretty big in her pregnancy with Izzy too... So that's probably how it is for her. I don't think they meddled with Jilly Muffin's due date, she looooooves the attention.

It's really interesting how different women all experience pregnancy differently... My mom put on 20kg when she was pregnant with me and she was big just as Jill is - and my friend initially lost a lot of weight (and than put on, but she was just 4-5 kg heavier than before being pregnant (even in her 38-40 weeks of pregnancy she wasn't even half the size Jill is now).

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Personaly I don't think she's further along than she'll admit, as they won't fool anyone with a 10lb preemie.

Not to mention there are exactly zero reasons for her to pretend she's less far along than she really is.

2 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Not to mention there are exactly zero reasons for her to pretend she's less far along than she really is.

I'm not saying she is lying, but she does have a reason. She could lie so she wouldn't be judged for trying a homebirth in wherever the hell they are. But I doubt it, that's probably too much thinking for a duggar

6 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I'm pretty sure that the only reason there isn't a date is to get people talking. 

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

To sum up for those who don't want to read through Jill's SOTDRT writing:

We have some missioncationers living in our White People Compound. They're even more useless than we are. You're welcome, Central America.

We go to a village where we are slightly less insulated from brown people. The lady who's actually doing something constructive for the community and for some godawful reason lets us barge in to talk about Jeebus was injured (the nerve) and some of Derick's lackeys decided not to show up to our event we could barely run without the local lady who's far more competent than us, so we just shoved pamphlets at the six people who came and pretended we did a good job. Trump's team should hire us as event planners.

A girl in the village died tragically and I'm only kind of sad about it because she only rolled her eyes and muttered "this gringa" four times when I told her about how Hayzoos is muy bien, which means she was saved and she's not going to burn in hell for all eternity.

I met a bunch of girls who probably understand my sect's theology as well as I do, but I'm white and rich so I automatically know more than they do. They are not allowed to approach me until they learn more buzzwords.

Derick is tagging along with an actual local pastor, and one guy converted, so clearly we are successful and need another $24,000, hint hint.

We're bribing people with food and annoying people at basketball games.

An old lady had an asthma attack. I "checked her vitals" with my baby-disabling medical training. Thankfully I didn't kill or disable her. Yay for me.

Even though our Spanish is atrocious, we are appropriating the three Spanish expressions we understand to make us feel like we're "going native" even though we think most of the people here are criminals, devil worshipers, or poor benighted savages.

Thank you, I hate giving the Duhlard's clicks. lol

3 hours ago, nst said:

If you get stuck in a middle seat it would be the worst. Not to mention you might not be able to put your tray table down. It's just uncomfortable. I flew at 36 weeks on a short flight and I found that annoying. 

There are two things are found distinctly odd about Jill's blog post

1) Her constant referring to "the locals" as if they are one monolithic group. Apparently the girl who passed away also didn't have a name. They also don't seem to grieve too much if the main thing is that she was "saved my Jesus" (or told Jill that to placate her after two random-ass Americans showed up at her family house twice a week and she just wanted them to leave her family alone). 2) Her truly horrific spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Makes me sad that she never enjoyed enough school education to get that straightened out. 

I also still haven't figured out what they actually do all day. So there is a nightly service that they attend... But I thought they were at least teaching skills classes ( which sounds ominous). But apparently, that work is being done by another lady from the area? Now I really don't know what they do anymore. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived