IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

On 29.3.2017 at 4:51 AM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

@VelociRapture If I broke open a pinata and found Jesus tracts inside, I'd probably run after Derek and Jill with the bat in hand.  Nothing would piss me off more than getting their stupid tracts when I was expecting candy.  

But but but, those are candy for your soul!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Thorns said:

But but but, those are candy for your soul!

My spiritual dentist told me I should avoid cavities LOL :P love it.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:14 AM, Coy Koi said:
That reminds me of this gif http://imgur.com/gallery/p9wnQ
So cute!

I got my son a Spongebob pinata for his fourth birthday. When we tried to show him how to hit it, he jumped in front of it and yelled, "Don't come near him!"

That makes me think of a birthday party I once went to for a little girl from a Salvadoran family from my church. They had a giant Dora piñata from El Salvador. The little girls at the party, including the birthday girl, were a bit taken aback at the idea of trying to bash in Dora's head.

I don't understand this. My sole reaction to this show was a desire to bash Dora's head in. Or the heads of the people who created the show.

6 hours ago, jingerspice said:

I got my son a Spongebob pinata for his fourth birthday. When we tried to show him how to hit it, he jumped in front of it and yelled, "Don't come near him!"

I helped a friend make a pinata for her cousin's 4th birthday.  We were teens, and neither of us had made a pinata before, so we just winged it.  We blew up a big balloon, dipped strips of newspaper in watered down Elmers Glue, and put them on the balloon.  We left a hole around the stem of the balloon that we intended to use to put the candy in, and then planned to paper mache over the hole, and decorate the pinata with bits of crepe paper glued to the pinata.

It wasn't drying out quickly enough, so we had to use hair dryers to dry the outside.  When we popped the balloon it stuck to the paper mache in places because the inside was still wet.  We aimed a hair dryer into the pinata and started drying it from the inside.  Eventually we got the balloon out, but the perfect sphere we were going for had some indentations on it through our own mishandling and the balloon pulling the paper mache inward as we tugged on it to get it out.  

It was still a bit soft in places, but time was running out, so we had to change our plans.  Instead of covering the hole with more paper mache, we left it open and used a knife to make holes around the hole for the string.  We were afraid to use the crepe paper because we worried that it would soften the pinata again, and we didn't have any paint, so we used markers.  Right up to the last minute we were trying to get that thing to dry out by using our hair dryers.

Finally the kids had arrived and we retreated to a bedroom to put the candy in the pinata.  We put strings through the holes and strung it from a hook in the living room ceiling (no trees on the property).  We gave the birthday girl a stick and told her to hit the pinata.  She didn't understand, and just tapped the pinata.  We told her to hit it harder.  We never told the kids there was candy inside, because we wanted it to be a surprise.  Birthday Girl hit the pinata a little harder and just stood there while it swayed gently.

Looking around, we had a bunch of small children standing around mystified while their parents were looking bored.  There was a barbecue going on in the back yard and people were getting hungry.  After a couple more children pushed the pinata around one father grabbed the stick and said "Here's how you do it!"  He gave the pinata a good whack and nothing happened.  It was like it was made of rubber.  It absorbed the blow, swung wildly for a few seconds and settled back into motionless, mocking us.  The father whacked it a few more times until it finally popped open and rained candy down onto the floor.

The kids just stood there.  The adults were shouting at the kids to get the candy, but they were hesitant.  They didn't move fast enough, and suddenly I saw that competitive streak that parents sometimes get, the ones you see on the news when a parent runs onto the field and goes berserk because they don't like how their kids game is playing out.  The guy who broke open the pinata saw that his kid wasn't grabbing candy, so he started to do it himself.  Soon all the adults were scrambling around trying to get candy while my friend and I stood back with the kids and watched in horrified amazement.  While my friend gathered the kids around her, I succumbed to the madness and grabbed some candy for the Birthday Girl, because her parents were in the back yard drinking beer and waiting for the hamburgers to get ready.  (They were pretty shitty parents.)

6 hours ago, Trynn said:

I don't understand this. My sole reaction to this show was a desire to bash Dora's head in. Or the heads of the people who created the show.

Aww, I liked Dora! I liked all the little kid shows (except Barney, omg. My little sister was obsessed with that show for a while and when my daughter was little my mom tried to give me all their dozens of Barney tapes. I said hell no. You introduce my kid to Barney and it will be the last thing you ever do). What drove me fucking crazy was the tween shows. Like That's So Raven. The Disney Channel had this commercial that was nothing but a compilation of high-pitching screaming from that show! I trained my daughter to hit mute as soon as that commercial came on, unless she wanted to hear some in-person screaming.

1 hour ago, Coy Koi said:

...What drove me fucking crazy was the tween shows. Like That's So Raven. The Disney Channel had this commercial that was nothing but a compilation of high-pitching screaming from that show! I trained my daughter to hit mute as soon as that commercial came on, unless she wanted to hear some in-person screaming.

Lately my kid has been watching Henry Danger. I find it rather amusing and hate myself for it... but but but... there is an ugly teacher named Miss Shapen. Sigh.

your daughter and I are likely similar ages. I remember Raven and I never really liked that show, it drove me nuts. Best thing Disney ever made was So Weird, hands down 4evarrrr.

1 hour ago, VixenToast said:

your daughter and I are likely similar ages. I remember Raven and I never really liked that show, it drove me nuts.

Hey, watch it, lady! :my_cool: I don't think I'm old enough to be your mom! My daughter just turned 17. But I just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently the show ran from 2003-2007, putting my daughter at age 7 at the oldest, which is earlier than I was thinking. She did love that obnoxious show though.

Now she's mainly into weird animes and she sometimes likes to explain the plots to me. Stuff like a woman and a garment of clothing (I seriously sat here for a minute trying to remember what type of clothing it was before I asked myself WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?) falling in love??? Don't ask me...

My oldest will be 17 this summer and is into anime too. Rwby, Black Butler, One Punch Man. She just went to her first Shuto Con. Its the new 'in'  thing.

20 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

Aww, I liked Dora! I liked all the little kid shows (except Barney, omg. My little sister was obsessed with that show for a while and when my daughter was little my mom tried to give me all their dozens of Barney tapes. I said hell no. You introduce my kid to Barney and it will be the last thing you ever do). What drove me fucking crazy was the tween shows. Like That's So Raven. The Disney Channel had this commercial that was nothing but a compilation of high-pitching screaming from that show! I trained my daughter to hit mute as soon as that commercial came on, unless she wanted to hear some in-person screaming.

My family used to make a pinata for our New Years party every year. It was tradition in my step dad's family, and my first experience with it was in the mid-1990's when I was 12. My step dad and his brother gathered all of the supplies, and asked us kids what type of pinata we wanted to make. We asked to make a Barney pinata so we could beat the crap out of the obnoxious purple dinosaur.

His hair looks fine to me? I don't get the sense that either of them really prioritize having a stylish haircut, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think Jill should keep cutting it regularly. He looks much more like his old self. I honestly think the long straggly hair played a big role in people thinking he looked ill.

I agree, and I prefer him with a less than perfect cut than his previous hippie missionary look.  Not that either of them give a fuck what I think, obviously. He looks pretty good to me, though. 

(Also, much better than the current shorn-sides-long and floppy-on-top style that many men seem to favour.  I think some may look back on their wedding photos with a twinge of regret.  Or is that just me?)

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill should not be allowed to cut hair.

tumblr_onqksqm6fv1r9t2zdo1_500.jpg

He looks like one of those Amish kids on Rumspringa.

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

(Also, much better than the current shorn-sides-long and floppy-on-top style that many men seem to favour.  I think some may look back on their wedding photos with a twinge of regret.  Or is that just me?)

I don't understand why that came back into style. Aesthetically I'm pretty neutral toward it. Whatever, it's a haircut, it doesn't really look good or bad to me. But every time I see it, I think of nazis! And especially given the current political climate, I'm just... not a fan. 

On 3/28/2017 at 3:38 AM, Honeysuckle said:

For what it's worth, none of the Duggar kids ever seemed very bright to me.

None of the Duggar kids have seemed particularly academically inclined to me, but that is hardly encouraged by Jim Bob and Michele obviously stinks as a teacher and a motivator.  It doesn't mean that they aren't quite bright in their own way.  

The offspring are definitely limited by their parents' contempt for education.  Jim Bob is as ignorant and uneducated as the day is long but is a very shrewd business man, in a rather unscrupulous way.  John David and Joe have been able to pass the pilot's exams and that takes a fair amount of math.

On a different front, Kelly Bates may be better educated than either Duggar parent and the Bateses at least allow Clown College.  However, Zach's writing skills are really quite appalling.  Jill Duggar leaves him in the dust when it comes to constructing a sentence and having a passing knowledge of grammar.  I was shocked by the sight of his websites when he ran for County Commissioner and Mayor.  His posts on the Zach 'n Whitney blog have now been taken down, but he can barely write his way out of a paper bag.  He still managed to pass the police exams.

You can be quite bright but not academically inclined.  You can dislike, be badly taught, or not be very good at academics, and still not be a total doofus.  

And I agree with the person a few pages back;  I think the average FJ member is extremely literate so we tend to be harsher than we should on Jill's writing skills.

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

I agree, and I prefer him with a less than perfect cut than his previous hippie missionary look.  Not that either of them give a fuck what I think, obviously. He looks pretty good to me, though. 

My mom calls that hairstyle "rooster hair."

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

They actually look happy and less stressed.  Maybe just being around the Duggars made him ill?

:in_my_humble_opinion:

@Percy even though I saw that picture when it was originally posted here, I just noticed Derrick's pit sweat.

I'm certainly not snarking on people sweating, but since it's on Derrick can't I at least have a laugh about it? :evil-laugh:

I think Derick just LOVES being out in "the field". Regular living, jobs, etc., mus stress him out. That's who he is, seems like he might not change ever. But, that is JMO.

15 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think Derick just LOVES being out in "the field". Regular living, jobs, etc., mus stress him out. That's who he is, seems like he might not change ever. But, that is JMO.

Derick loves grifting and being holier than thou. Telling other people how to live their lives makes him happy, in the US there is push back against that. Which he doesn't enjoy. 

23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I kind of forgot that Jill was pregnant, they've been so quiet on the baby front. She looks good though. Derick's hair could use some professional help, but if he likes it then whatevs. It's better than the hippie Jesus look.

23 hours ago, Fascinated said:

YES! I hate that hairstyle so much. Especially on children. It drives me insane. 

I think Derick's hair looks fine. Just a regular old haircut and then no product in it. Pretty typical.

3 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Isn't that just called being an adult though?  Life is stressful.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived