IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

3 hours ago, nst said:

and as a woman who doesn't have a child  please enlighten me why ? is it because you shouldn't sit for so long when you are pregnant or what ? :)

Pulmonary thrombosis is a worry. Also baby jumping on bladder! Plane loos are not the biggest to manoeuvre bumps etc. ( I would not fly pregnant at all. Refused point blank.)

Planes are always too hot (in my experience). Being pregnant, hot, needing a wee, swollen ankles.

She will need an extension for her seat belt.

Dwreck will have to look after Israel, Jill won't be able to.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they don't speak Spanish how can they teach anything. Just sayin'.

They are crazy. And there are a lot of people just like them. And I have heard more lately about the violence in El Salvador and think to bring a pregnant woman and a toddler there is mind boggled. 

I am boggled. Clearly

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

What I have found as a teacher in elections in more recent times is that many, many younger kids are not even exposed to political discussion at home. Even some high school kids are not. A lot of parents have a notion that kids should be "protected" from the "ugliness" of politics until they turn 18 and can vote. I heard this constantly from parents during the latter part of my full time teaching career (2000-2010). They would call and try to demand that no current events be discussed in social studies courses including American Government. I always asked how they intended to flip a switch on the kid's 18th birthday and make them suddenly aware of and interested enough to vote. 

When I was a freshman in high school, my U.S. history teacher had us write down the current events of the day every day during the first part of class. My freshman year started in 2001, and the news during the first few weeks of August was pretty tame. We didn't write current events during class on Sept. 11, we just sat and watched the TV for the entire class period.

But, every day after that, we had to write about current events. The 9/11 aftermath. Osama Bin Laden. Anthrax. The D.C. Sniper. The shoe bomber. God lord. It was like somebody had flipped a switch and nothing was fun again.

3 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Pulmonary thrombosis is a worry. Also baby jumping on bladder! Plane loos are not the biggest to manoeuvre bumps etc. ( I would not fly pregnant at all. Refused point blank.)

Planes are always too hot (in my experience). Being pregnant, hot, needing a wee, swollen ankles.

She will need an extension for her seat belt.

Dwreck will have to look after Israel, Jill won't be able to.

Not to mention it's probably only smaller planes flying into their destination. Smaller seats.

Years-long lurker using this conversation about news memories to join the fold!

I'm smack dab in the middle of the Millennial generation. I vaguely remember Princess Diana's death, as I was fascinated by a real-life princess. I have better memories about Y2K (not an event that has been mentioned much!) and the 2000 election though. And then of course, 9/11. Even though I was in grade school, I was afraid of war and sick of the smoke cloud being shown on the nightly news for what felt like forever. It was a very scary time for (everyone and) grade-school children who knew something bad was going on but couldn't really understand.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:29 PM, Carm_88 said:

I feel like I remember watching the Blue Jays win in 93, but I'm pretty sure my Dad has just told me so many times about how I got up and sat with him. So we just quietly watched the game together and were both really excited. I don't think I actually remember it, just that I have been told about it so often, that I think that I do. Plus the Joe Carter home run has been replayed soooo many times. Yeah, I don't think I remember it. 

Maybe you guys could stop rubbing in your youthiness??  I was at this game.  I donned my knitted Blue Jays sweater and, of course, my dangly Blue Jay earrings.  My awesome hubby gave his ticket to my friend and he stayed home with the kids. I will never forget that gesture, poor guy.  Said friend split my lip while we jumped up and down in euphoria after the crack of Carter's bat.  It was incredible.

I remember how awful it was when the Hindenburg crashed.  Ok. Here's something I wasn't actually around for. But, it remains a horrible disaster that I think of, regardless.  Oh, the humanity! (Classically referenced on an episode of Seinfeld.)

What the hell happened there?  I've tried editing to remove multiple posts, in vain.  If a mod happens by would you be so kind?  With thanks.  My internet could be the issue. Apologies...

6 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

There are two things are found distinctly odd about Jill's blog post

1) Her constant referring to "the locals" as if they are one monolithic group. Apparently the girl who passed away also didn't have a name. They also don't seem to grieve too much if the main thing is that she was "saved my Jesus" (or told Jill that to placate her after two random-ass Americans showed up at her family house twice a week and she just wanted them to leave her family alone). 2) Her truly horrific spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Makes me sad that she never enjoyed enough school education to get that straightened out.

I'm usually not one to snark on people's writing skills, but oh my lord, Jill's updates are always SO PAINFUL to read. I'm surprised Derick doesn't insist on writing them. I feel like it's not very good advertisement for the SDRT way of life. :pb_confused: Although if I recall her ranty Facebook posts correctly, Blessa is a competent writer. What gives, Jill??? Maybe she's distracted by all that holy banana bread baking. Or pumas.

13 minutes ago, bananabread said:

I'm usually not one to snark on people's writing skills, but oh my lord, Jill's updates are always SO PAINFUL to read. I'm surprised Derick doesn't insist on writing them. I feel like it's not very good advertisement for the SDRT way of life. :pb_confused: Although if I recall her ranty Facebook posts correctly, Blessa is a competent writer. What gives, Jill??? Maybe she's distracted by all that holy banana bread baking. Or pumas.

Jessa was the one into discipline and schooling. She's a fairly bright woman, and with a natural inclination to be disciplined when it comes to life, I would not be surprised at all if she "got" more out of homeschooling than her sibs.  She probably applied herself more because that's just who she is.  

Jill has always seemed less focused to me.  In fact, I'm not sure she ever learned to focus or apply herself at all.  I would not be surprised if she got relatively little out of having a workbook placed in front of her.  

You give me a book, chances are I will both read it and retain a good deal of the information inside.  I like reading and I tend to read for retention.  You give a book to my sister, chances are good neither are happening.  Or if she does read it, she wont remember much of it.  

I'd imagine the difference between Jill and Jessa is similar.  

8 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I do wonder if Jill ever got her muscle tone back in her abdomen after the Section. She might be carrying large, and she might not have such good muscle tone, and I hope all goes well with her delivery.

I had four full term pregnancies. Birth weights ranged from 8lbs Ioz, down to 6lbs even, over eight years. As I grew older, my babies became smaller. I caried VERY small. 

When my Ob/gyn jokingly said let's bet on size (with my third, who followed my 7lbs 15oz) with his guess of 8lbs 8ozs, my nurse looked at my belly and said 'not in here'. She was right. That baby was 6lbs 7ozs

My babies and tummy size, never large, became smaller with each successive pregnancy.

We are ALL so, so different!

33 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

My babies and tummy size, never large, became smaller with each successive pregnancy.

We are ALL so, so different!

Interesting. When you say your tummy was never large, do you mean that your lower body (hips, butt etc.) would be larger than your upper body pre-pregnancy? Just wondering because I have only ever had a flat stomach when I was underweight. I am a Figure 8 shape, which means I am an hourglass variant: hourglass measurements, but extra junk is in my tummy rather than hips.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:57 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

There was a story near me about a man who had survived 9/11 and later that week died falling off a ladder while putting an American flag outside of his house. Absolutely horrible. 

My good friend survived the shooting at the York Mall in Toronto in June 2012 but passed away less than a month later in the Aurora/Century 16/Dark Knight Rises massacre :-(

3 minutes ago, zee_four said:

My good friend survived the shooting at the York Mall in Toronto in June 2012 but passed away less than a month later in the Aurora/Century 16/Dark Knight Rises massacre :-(

Oh my god. That's awful. You know, I believe I read about this person. I'm so sorry. 

Ah - Georgiana ---- has it dawned on you that Jill is just dumb as a stump and couldn't apply herself to anything more than her hairdo -- and she's not very good at that either.

A sadder waste of life does not exist, she goes through her sad existence frightened by everything new, does absolutely nothing for anyone besides quote the usual b.s. she learned from her mother.   She's a burden to everyone and every situation - and she has not a clue as to why she's always scared, puzzled, or upset.

You need some spacing between babies for your body to replenish or the mess that is the Duggar kids ensues.   Jessa got lucky - for a Duggar sprout anyway, but without TLC she'd be just another struggling fundie stay at home.

A school friend of Mr LBE survived the November 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris, but died a few weeks later in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. 

6 minutes ago, nssherlock said:

You need some spacing between babies for your body to replenish or the mess that is the Duggar kids ensues.   Jessa got lucky - for a Duggar sprout anyway, but without TLC she'd be just another struggling fundie stay at home.

As a lady who soon hopes to TTC, I am curious about this. What happens if there is not enough spacing between kids? How did Jessa get lucky?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Oh my god. That's awful. You know, I believe I read about this person. I'm so sorry. 

Yeah the theater shooting rocked my community. In addition to Jessi, I lost a friend I get at DU albeit in a different grad program and the husband of one of my best friends from high school. It was his birthday and he was out with his coworkers while my friend had been out of town with her sister and was scheduled to come back the morning of the shooting which would have been their one year wedding anniversary. We spent the day instead searching every hospital in the Denver metro area. Jessis mom as well as Alex my friend from DUs mom have become like second mothers to me and close family friends also staying at my mom's and her neighbor's houses for the 4 month long trial. Another high school friend had recently become an Aurora police officer in 2012 and was a first responder that night helping shuttle badly injured victims in their squad cars to hospitals when it was taking too long for proper ambulances to arrive. The Aurora survivor family as we call ourselves are super tight and generally very supportive of each other. Plus a group called the Rebels Project was formed by survivors from the 99 shooting at Columbine HS in Littleton a neighboring Denver suburb of Aurora as a way for originally survivors of mass shootings, now it's been broadened to all those who have been closely impacted by gun violence and other similar types of trauma, to come together and support one another.

I'm glad you have these support groups, @zee_four.  That must have been devastating. It's a shame Trump doesn't focus his energies on the domestic gun violence issue, instead of his ridiculous travel ban.  

34 minutes ago, Galbin said:

Interesting. When you say your tummy was never large, do you mean that your lower body (hips, butt etc.) would be larger than your upper body pre-pregnancy? Just wondering because I have only ever had a flat stomach when I was underweight. I am a Figure 8 shape, which means I am an hourglass variant: hourglass measurements, but extra junk is in my tummy rather than hips.

I phrased that, really bad. Syntax is important

I had, still do, a flatttish belly, average hips (USA size 6-8-10 in pants and jeans?depending upon brand/cut) I never had a big bottom, but neither was it small. I'm  more of a pear. My upper body is a size smaller than my lower.

What I meant was my pregnancies were carried small, despite average weight gain: 23# low- 34# high.

First two births 15 months apart, second two 19 months apart.

Does that answer your question?

35 minutes ago, nssherlock said:

Ah - Georgiana ---- has it dawned on you that Jill is just dumb as a stump and couldn't apply herself to anything more than her hairdo -- and she's not very good at that either.

A sadder waste of life does not exist, she goes through her sad existence frightened by everything new, does absolutely nothing for anyone besides quote the usual b.s. she learned from her mother.   She's a burden to everyone and every situation - and she has not a clue as to why she's always scared, puzzled, or upset.

Do you know Jill personally?  

48 minutes ago, zee_four said:

How horrible! Oh my god, tragic beyond words.

I am very sorry!

That update reeked of a PR fix to me. She knows we mock them being on vacation and calling it a missionary. She was trying hard to prove they're invaluable to their community. Savings souls! Using medical tools! Training Danger Americans how to make piñatas! My favorite part was her comment about why they are trying to rescue souls in a country where nearly everyone is catholic. Yup, they read here. No doubt. Don't worry y'all, she gave them a bible tract.

16 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

I phrased that, really bad. Syntax is important

I had, still do, a flatttish belly, average hips (USA size 6-8-10 in pants and jeans?depending upon brand/cut) I never had a big bottom, but neither was it small. I'm  more of a pear. My upper body is a size smaller than my lower.

What I meant was my pregnancies were carried small, despite average weight gain: 23# low- 34# high.

First two births 15 months apart, second two 19 months apart.

Does that answer your question?

Actually, you phrased it well, so no worries. It seems you are the opposite shape to me in that you are a pear shape. I have a large bosom, so am a size bigger on top than bottom. 

On 3/23/2017 at 10:56 AM, SamiKatz said:

I had tickets for Game 8 of that series.  (The Jays won in 7, so I never got to go).

The Carter home run is absoutely iconic here in Canada.

Ahhh--you Blue Jays fans are killing this Phillies girl!   Every time we see Joe Carter's home run, my soul dies a little bit more.

But . . . in the false memory department:  World Series are always best of 7--and the Blue Jays won it in 6 that year, so you must have had tix for game 7.  Of course, I am just nit picking, and you can simply remind me of that soul-killing home run again!!  :tw_grin:

8 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

When I was a freshman in high school, my U.S. history teacher had us write down the current events of the day every day during the first part of class. My freshman year started in 2001, and the news during the first few weeks of August was pretty tame. We didn't write current events during class on Sept. 11, we just sat and watched the TV for the entire class period.

But, every day after that, we had to write about current events. The 9/11 aftermath. Osama Bin Laden. Anthrax. The D.C. Sniper. The shoe bomber. God lord. It was like somebody had flipped a switch and nothing was fun again.

Oh hey, I was a HS freshman during the 9/11 attacks. I think we watched tv in all my classes that day, or we just talked about how we felt about what was happening. I remember that we were all scared about a war, and if they would bring back the draft because of it. I also remember the skies being quiet and it was weird not seeing an airplane in the sky because I lived fairly close to a small airport. I also remember being kinda scared when there were planes flying around again. 

Other big news I can remember throughout my life (and probably not in order) 

-Rodney King beating and the riots that followed.

-JonBenét Ramsey's murder trial.

-The OJ Simpson trial. I don't even remember hearing about Robert Kardashian, Sr., but I do recall all the other attorneys, and Judge Ito.

-That mass Heaven's Gate cult suicide.

-The Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding scandal.

-Heidi Fleiss trial 

-Lorena Bobbitt cutting her husband's dick off.

-Selena Quintanilla's murder.

-Princess Diana's death. 

-Biggie and Tupac's murders.

-Brandon Lee's death. 

-Ellen Degeneres coming out as a lesbian.

-The Monica Lewinsky scandal. 

-Elian Gonzales being saved from the raft.

-Aaliyah's death. 

1 hour ago, Galbin said:

As a lady who soon hopes to TTC, I am curious about this. What happens if there is not enough spacing between kids? How did Jessa get lucky?

Thanks.

@Galbin,  spacing babies three or more years apart is associated with better outcomes for both mother and baby.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived