IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

I had all four out under local and it went pretty smoothly. They were pretty stuck and had to get sawed into pieces before being removed. Not super fun but they covered my eyes with a cloth and it all went relatively quick. No fun drugs were involved. I'm in Europe and know this as the regular procedure. General anesthesia is only done in rare cases and on phobic patients.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a friend,and when I met her,she had partial dentures...she used to ask me if my teeth were real,they are.She would only go to a dentist who used IV's to put her under,I had not heard of such a thing.She said she had a dentist who did a root canal on her without anesthesia...or maybe it did not take...happened to her as a child..she feared dentists after that and would only go to dentist who'd put her under with IV's.

Kinda scary hearing all these stories given that I currently have wisdom teeth coming through on the bottom and i'm still awaiting my upper set. So far they all look good, however one has left a pretty decent gap as I had the back tooth on that row removed. The other one is right up close to the tooth next to it which is interesting given I also had the back tooth out there too. Hopefully it's not coming through wonky, though I guess i'll see at the dentist next month.

I'm pretty sure if I had to have either of them out they'd be done under local anaesthetic as I'm in the UK. When my brother had to have a few baby teeth out the other year they did it in hospital under general anaesthetic as he has special needs which make him a less than understanding dental patient. All in all he was pretty good to go an hour later after he'd come around, however they let him stay in the day ward as long as needed.

One of my wisdom teeth came in, the other three didn't. I had a local for the first one, then conscious sedation for the other three, so I don't remember much. I thought I was fine when I walked out but my mom kept grabbing my arm because she thought I was going to fall over.

56 minutes ago, FrumperedCat said:

Kinda scary hearing all these stories given that I currently have wisdom teeth coming through on the bottom and i'm still awaiting my upper set. So far they all look good, however one has left a pretty decent gap as I had the back tooth on that row removed. The other one is right up close to the tooth next to it which is interesting given I also had the back tooth out there too. Hopefully it's not coming through wonky, though I guess i'll see at the dentist next month.

I'm pretty sure if I had to have either of them out they'd be done under local anaesthetic as I'm in the UK. When my brother had to have a few baby teeth out the other year they did it in hospital under general anaesthetic as he has special needs which make him a less than understanding dental patient. All in all he was pretty good to go an hour later after he'd come around, however they let him stay in the day ward as long as needed.

FWIW, the only reason they took my wisdom teeth was because they got infected via a different issue. My wisdom teeth grew in normally enough that I had to re-learn how to eat without them, and then were taken under a mild sedative. The strongest pain killer I took afterward was Advil and that was before I left the oral surgeon's office. Completely no big deal. No major swelling, no major bruising, was eating solid food two days later.

While I understand how many people have horrifying wisdom teeth removal experiences, I also think it's important to note that it can be a complete coming-of-age non-event.

Back to the Bates for a minute. How did they get Cracker Barrel to sponsor their meal? I know the actual answer but at first I didn't really think it was a product placement until they all spent the next 5 minstrel yapping on about much they love it. I did see Kelly sign something but I assume that was either for the sign and clothes she bought or to prove she picked up the food.  

17 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

While I understand how many people have horrifying wisdom teeth removal experiences, I also think it's important to note that it can be a complete coming-of-age non-event.

Ah that is reassuring to hear in amongst everything else. Hoping they won't have to come out though regardless.

Of course local anaesthetic is also so much more reliable than it was back a few decades ago. My granddad told of how when he had to have one of his wisdoms out he had to wait in the waiting room for the anaesthetic to kick in for a while and even then on some patients it didn't work right.

My biggest issue was afterwards when I developed dry socket. That was awful. To treat dry socket they soak gauze in cinnamon oil, and pack it into the holes. It definitely helped, but it bothered me that everything tasted like cinnamon. 

5 minutes ago, FrumperedCat said:

Ah that is reassuring to hear in amongst everything else. Hoping they won't have to come out though regardless.

Of course local anaesthetic is also so much more reliable than it was back a few decades ago. My granddad told of how when he had to have one of his wisdoms out he had to wait in the waiting room for the anaesthetic to kick in for a while and even then on some patients it didn't work right.

I was put under for mine. At least one of the three was impacted - so I was put under for comfort purposes. Which is amusing because most of my baby teeth wound up being pulled by the Dentist with just novacaine, so I was kind of a pro at that point.

I didn't have a tough time coming out of it though. Only funny part was the Doctor told me I did great - so I repeated "I got this, I'm great" three or four times while my boyfriend (now husband) came in and then took me to the car. I was already out of the daze at that point and I hadn't been "awake" that long at that point either.

Recovery wasn't bad for me. If you do get your's out just do your best to follow the Doctor's instructions. Try to stick with soft foods like soup and pudding at first. Be careful when cleaning your mouth. And remember that it's ok to take pain medication in moderation if you need it - either an over-the-counter or a prescription if your Doctor gives you one.

I had to have mine out under general anaesthetic.

Mind you I was 13 and my wisdom teeth decided it was time to come out. Didn't have enough space and they started to get infected, so they had to go asap!

I  got my first tooth at 3 months, I bit my mum while she was feeding me. Whoops! Had all my adult teeth at 11. Stopped growing at 14 at the lovely height of 180cm. My body was clearly in a rush to grow up.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:50 PM, VelociRapture said:

Basically, this is their thinking for the average citizen:

- want kids, but can't afford them without insurance? Too bad. You don't have kids you can't afford. It's fiscally irresponsible.

- you're pregnant? Well you certainly can't abort. That's murder! No, you have to deal with the consequences and keep the baby.

- you have horrible morning sickness and need the ER? That'll be $3,000 please. <----- (total cost for my ER visit for morning sickness.)

- want to be responsible and get prenatal care from your provider? Ha! That's no longer covered. If you can't afford to pay for appointments out of pocket then you should have kept your legs shut you slut.

- you had a miscarriage and need emergency care at the hospital? Please fork over $6,000 to pay for it. <----- (if I remember correctly, this was the total ER cost of my miscarriage.)

- you went into labor prematurely and need your baby to spend a week in NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit)? Please pay $65,000 out of pocket. Because the Governnent doesn't care about your baby's health or your family going bankrupt. <------- (my daughter's weeklong NICU stay last December cost around that much.)

(Thanks to Insurance, we only had to pay around $3,000 out of all those costs.)

-------------

Their thinking for themselves/their own families:

- no need to worry about anything because we're entitled to excellent coverage through our jobs. Yay us!

-----------

So, long story short: families will either need to save up a ton of money ahead of a pregnancy, forego adequate healthcare, or just not have children in general. I told my husband I will absolutely refuse to get pregnant again if they repeal the ACA (Affordable Care Act) because I won't risk our family losing everything if something goes wrong again.

Take a look at your in laws Dan! Or is this what you want people to do - grift their way through their financial obligations for life? Is that acceptable? Ha!

I got mine out under local- 2 in one sitting, 1 years and years later- I only had 3. My ex got his out with general- but he had 6!!! He drove home after the procedure, because I hadn't my license very long yet at that point, and wasn't the greatest driver, lol

15 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

I'm pretty sure if I had to have either of them out they'd be done under local anaesthetic as I'm in the UK. 

They do generals in the UK too, it depends a lot on how your wisdom teeth look on the X ray, how deep etc. I need my bottom two out as they are both impacted, but have to wait until no longer pregnant as I need a general, apparently. 

I'm one of the lucky ones whose wisdom teeth never came in. :). I'm 23, and they aren't ever going to be an issue according to my dentist. 

18 hours ago, JMO said:

Back to the Bates for a minute. How did they get Cracker Barrel to sponsor their meal? I know the actual answer but at first I didn't really think it was a product placement until they all spent the next 5 minstrel yapping on about much they love it. I did see Kelly sign something but I assume that was either for the sign and clothes she bought or to prove she picked up the food.  

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if I imaged the 10 minute infomercial for Cracker Barrell! It does not surprise me in the slightest that it was a sponsored meal. I lived in TN for awhile and there are more CB's than Starbucks in most towns! CB is an uber conservative company. 

2 hours ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if I imaged the 10 minute infomercial for Cracker Barrell! It does not surprise me in the slightest that it was a sponsored meal. I lived in TN for awhile and there are more CB's than Starbucks in most towns! CB is an uber conservative company. 

Pretty good food. I don't think they sell wine.

Cracker Barrel is offensive to real southern food.

2 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Cracker Barrel is offensive to real southern food.

It'll have to do for us poor souls not fortunate enough to have decent Southern food. Forgive us for this travesty?

11 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It'll have to do for us poor souls not fortunate enough to have decent Southern food. Forgive us for this travesty?

*Sigh* I do miss their hash brown casserole and fried apples. 

23 hours ago, JMO said:

I work in television..... they totally didn't pay for that meal lol. In order to shoot in any non public area you need a location agreement before you film. Also cracker barell commercial come on right after and they literally said they sponsor uptv in the commercial. 

At my job if we need to use a facility to shoot in, we have to get the owner/general manager to sign off. You either give them a check, ad placement, credits in the credits, or nothing. 

5 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm one of the lucky ones whose wisdom teeth never came in. :). I'm 23, and they aren't ever going to be an issue according to my dentist. 

And I don't even have wisdom teeth. 

#blessed

Lol!

I'm always fascinated how different wisdom teeth removal is for everyone. Mine were pretty standard. Sore, puffy, but no dry sockets or terrible pain. My friend got dry sockets and it was really rough for her. My other friend made me take her to Carls Jr for a cheeseburger right after her surgery. :pb_lol: 

13 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

And I don't even have wisdom teeth. 

#blessed

Lol!

Haha same! :) #SoBlessed

19 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'll be Debbie Downer here and tell you that this is what my dentist told me when I was in my early 20s too. Now I'm in my 30s they have decided to grow in and become a problem, I was like 'WTF teeth, I thought I dodged that one?!'

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived