IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm always fascinated how different wisdom teeth removal is for everyone. Mine were pretty standard. Sore, puffy, but no dry sockets or terrible pain. My friend got dry sockets and it was really rough for her. My other friend made me take her to Carls Jr for a cheeseburger right after her surgery. :pb_lol: 

I know right? My co-worker had his pulled on his lunch break and just walked right back to work. My face swelled up like a balloon and I couldn't sleep for three days. It was a week before I could eat anything other than applesauce and protein shakes, and two weeks before all the swelling and bruising disappeared. Granted, mine were impacted and also infected, but still, I'm bitter. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I barely had any swelling and no bruising, I ate pizza the same night and needed no pain meds. I did take it easy for a few days though because I did feel a bit shaken overall. But it was pretty painfree overall. But the needles, don't make start about the needles...

On 4/3/2017 at 1:04 PM, Thorns said:

Is it comon to have general anesthesia for the removal of wisdom teeth in the States? When I had mine removed I just had local anestethics.  A lot of freaky noises and some stiff neck muscles later they were out. Suckers had some twisted roots. 

Can't say I know of anyone that's had any form of dental work done with something else than local.

I'm in the States. I just had local. 

My dentist says I only have an upper set of wisdom teeth. #HalfBlessed?

Me and my twin brother have reportedly huge mouths which gives our wisdom teeth ample room (there's a sizeable gap between our widsom teeth and the rest) so we never had to get them out :P

I had all my wisdom teeth out in the chair (they were all impacted and pushed my bite out of whack). I had no health insurance at the time. Only a local anaesthetic was given to me, however it didn't work. It took them 4 injections of Novocaine until my mouth went numb.

It was 48 degrees Celsius (118 or so degrees Farenheit) outside and was humid. The nurses had to hold me down for most of the operation as my body wouldn't stop shaking from who knows what. 

At one stage the surgeon had his elbow on my face to get enough traction to pull one out. I'll never forget the cracking sounds of the teeth breaking for as long as I live.

Ever since a week after the operation I've had health insurance. In the interest of saving a few bucks, having my teeth out in the chair was a really stupid idea.

I only had one day off work and the day I went back was the office Christmas party. I didn't do anything bad or gossip worthy (wasn't drinking) but the amount of talk on the following Monday? To this day I still hate office parties and avoid them like the plague. 

I only had maxillary wisdom teeth. I think they tried to give me general anesthesia but couldn't find a vein, so they just gave me local. It was pretty uneventful, though the sounds weren't pleasant. I didn't swell that much and I spent a couple days on pain killers too. 

Fun fact about me: I have hypodontia, which means I had some teeth fail to develop. So in addition to the missing mandibular wisdom teeth I don't have maxillary second premolars. My brother, on the other hand, had all four wisdom teeth come in just fine. So he has 32 teeth to my 26.

My worst dental experience was after my wisdom teeth. I first got a root canal, which actually went smoothly with a local anesthetic. But they took too much tooth off or something, so the cap wouldn't fit. Then they had to lower my gum line just around that tooth so the cap would fit on. Again, local anesthetic. They said it was a minor procedure, but was actually really intense, and required stitches which I had to physically watch them put in. Watching them take a needle and physically sew inside my mouth was pretty disturbing (even though I totally felt nothing). They said it would be minor, so I planned on returning back to work that day...and instead I ended up missing a few days because of it!

My two oldest daughters had theirs out around 14-15, and they were both put under. Girl#1 was all giggles and Girl #2 cried and cried and cried when they woke up. We would get it done on a Friday and they'd be back to school by Monday. One more daughter to go through, assuming her dentist says it needs done.

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Me and my twin brother have reportedly huge mouths which gives our wisdom teeth ample room (there's a sizeable gap between our widsom teeth and the rest) so we never had to get them out :P

I had the opposite problem. I have a tiny mouth (they had to use a child's mold to get the impression for my night guard), and my wisdom teeth were going to impact, messing up thousands of dollars of orthodontia, so out they came when I was 16. 

My first time experiencing general. I remember being put in my brother's small bedroom because my parents were showing our house and had an appointment that day (and my bedroom was akin to a master with its own bathroom). All I remember of that day is when they looked into the bedroom where I was sleeping. I woke up, said "Hi" and promptly went back to sleep. It was also my first experience with painkillers. I have absolutely NO tolerance for pain, but I was back to school on Monday after the Friday surgery with no ill effects, other than not being allowed to swim in PE for a week. 

If I was fundie who secretly read free jinger to prove that we are all hateful heathens Id be so disappointed. There has been far more completely off topic decisions about random things than actual fundies. This is why I love free jinger. It's the only forum that works like my mind. Thank you all for the wisdom on wisdom teeth! 

@VelociRapture,  you need to get a good Southern cookbook.  Southern Food: At Home, On the Road, and In History by the late John Egerton is a good place to start as are the cookbooks of Edna Lewis.  They talked about Edna Lewis's influence on Southern cooking on this season of Top Chef.  That spiked sales of the classic The Taste of Country Cooking on Amazon 40 years after its publication.

@RosyDaisy, do you have any suggestions for good Southern cookbooks?

No. I don't use cookbooks. I go by what I was taught by my mother and grandmother.

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

No. I don't use cookbooks. I go by what I was taught by my mother and grandmother.

Guess the non-Southerners will be stickin' to Cracker Barrel then ;)

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@VelociRapture,  you need to get a good Southern cookbook.  Southern Food: At Home, On the Road, and In History by the late John Egerton is a good place to start as are the cookbooks of Edna Lewis.  They talked about Edna Lewis's influence on Southern cooking on this season of Top Chef.  That spiked sales of the classic The Taste of Country Cooking on Amazon 40 years after its publication.

@RosyDaisy, do you have any suggestions for good Southern cookbooks?

I'll take a look. My husband has travelled to both Carolinas and the Atlanta area for work. He came back a big fan of the good down there. He may just die happy if I start cooking some of that. Maybe after busy season is done and he can chill with the Velocibaby while I cook. 

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Family recipes are by far the best recipes. :)

Southern food also varies a great deal by region. Even in NC what people consider traditional sauce for BBQ is different in one part of the state than it is in another. I grew up in an area where the sweet BBQ sauce is what is made, so I'm not a fan of the vinegar based sauce that is popular in other parts of the state. The local cookbooks don't really have vinegar based sauces. 

I'm not sure of a good cookbook that covers Southern food from all the different regions. 

While Paula Deen type Southern cooking uses lots and lots of butter, what was often used in the area I grew up in was some sort saved grease like bacon, ham or sausage. Growing up it is normal for people to keep a jar of bacon/fried ham fat sitting on their kitchen counter to use for cooking. Greens with hot grease poured over them was a normal meal for the older people I knew. 

12 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

While Paula Deen type Southern cooking uses lots and lots of butter, what was often used in the area I grew up in was some sort saved grease like bacon, ham or sausage. Growing up it is normal for people to keep a jar of bacon/fried ham fat sitting on their kitchen counter to use for cooking. Greens with hot grease poured over them was a normal meal for the older people I knew.

Ha! I've never heard of this in real life. I just know that on The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon's mom says that the secret to her cooking is that she fries everything in bacon grease. Yikes. Those poor arteries!

I tried keeping Kosher-style for a year while I was living in the South. Almost impossible if you eat out! As @formergothardite mentioned, I would order things like green beans or rice and beans, and almost always pork/pork grease was involved in the cooking.

I do miss some gooooood southern biscuits though. 

@formergothardite, you're so right about the regional variations in Southern cooking.  That southern food cookbook by Egerton does cover the regional variations a good bit.  The chapter on barbecue talks a lot about the differences in not just the sauce but also what animal id barbecued and how it is served.  Mutton is speciality of Owensboro, Kentucky while in Texas, beef is what is barbecued.  Memphis is known for dry rub.  Not all Southerners eat grits.  People above  the grits line do not eat grits.

Egertion's book is more than a cookbook.  It more of a book about Southern foodways, but IIRC, it does have recipes.  He was one of the founders of the Southern Foodways Alliance.

My mom always had a covered, spouted can on the stove for bacon drippings. 

I and Mr. Hick both grew up in homes that always had a glass jar of congealed bacon/sausage fat in the kitchen. Recycling!

I was 31 when the dentist decided to take my wisdom teeth, as they were causing pockets to develop in my gums. The surgery was a piece of cake, but why didn't anyone warn me of the bloody drool? It was seriously gross! I took Tylenol once after but didn't have any pain, outside of the blood on a button down shirt I really liked.

@formergothardite, I first discovered mustard BBQ sauce at a BBQ food truck and found it exquisite. I don't have my own recipe for it yet, but will pay more for the Sweet Baby Ray's mustard sauce. Unfortunately, I've only found it in one retail store, and it doesn't go on sale, unlike the Sweet Baby Ray's at other stores. As for red sauces, I prefer sweet to vinegar.

Leftover bacon and sausage drippings make a good gravy. Just add a few spoons of flour and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until no lumps. Gradually add milk. Tastes good over biscuits.

My mom used to freeze the leftover juice from when she baked a chicken. it was used as an all-purpose seasoning, so everything we ate tasted like chicken :pb_lol:. The best was when she used it to make dirty rice.

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

, Sheldon's mom says that the secret to her cooking is that she fries everything in bacon grease. Yikes. Those poor arteries!

Yep, everything fried in bacon grease! My grandparents would regularly have meals that were:

~green beans(they grew and canned) cooked in bacon grease

~potatoes fried in bacon grease

~corn bread cooked with bacon grease

~greens wilted with bacon grease.

But at the same time they didn't eat anything sweet except for on special occasions. So dessert would be something like apples. My grandpa used to peel and eat raw turnips as a snack. They grew huge gardens and worked really hard. 

Food related thread derailments are the absolute best. This lifelong New Englander is kinda living vicariously through these posts right now. :pb_lol:

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived