IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

On 9/12/2016 at 0:28 PM, JordynDarby5 said:

Yeah, Kelly the rest of the world is constantly confused by men and women in pants. We all just wander around talking to people wearing pants never knowing if their a man or woman. Its just random luck we get married.  Up until that moment the bride comes down in a dress, no man knows if the person he was dating or "courting" for several months to several years was a man or woman.  Women, well we never know until wedding night its a big surprise. Will it be a man or will it be a woman when the pants come off. Its not like there's any other way to tell. 

What's funny about this to me is that in Jesus' time, everybody wore skirts robes, so how did they differentiate between the sexes?! I understand they're interpreting scripture that forbids women from wearing that which pertains to men. My mom followed this scripture too, in a different way (she would only wear pants if they had no fly :confusion-shrug:). So I guess I'm really asking why pants pertain only to men when woolen robes pertained to everyone way back when? 

Someone educate me if there was indeed a difference between male and female biblical attire. ;) 

4 hours ago, BoPeep said:

Down in the deep south...football is a religion.  Everyone has their team that they follow....you're born into it.  Doesn't matter if you attend that college or any college.  In the mid-Atlantic states (and it seems in the mid-west), college basketball is almost as revered.  Though I haven't seen churches nearly split after a duke/unc basketball game, lol, like I have over some SEC football rivalries!  

This is true for many "worldly" folks, but the Duggars and Bateses were so sheltered and "godly" that I have a hard time believing they're actually fans. I would bet the producers incouraged or exaggerated the families' interest level to make them seem less weird.

Welcome, new members and de-lurkers!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, halcionne said:

What's funny about this to me is that in Jesus' time, everybody wore skirts robes, so how did they differentiate between the sexes?! I understand they're interpreting scripture that forbids women from wearing that which pertains to men. My mom followed this scripture too, in a different way (she would only wear pants if they had no fly :confusion-shrug:). So I guess I'm really asking why pants pertain only to men when woolen robes pertained to everyone way back when? 

Someone educate me if there was indeed a difference between male and female biblical attire. ;) 

This is true for many "worldly" folks, but the Duggars and Bateses were so sheltered and "godly" that I have a hard time believing they're actually fans. I would bet the producers incouraged or exaggerated the families' interest level to make them seem less weird.

Welcome, new members and de-lurkers!

The letters of Paul include the phrase "women, let your heads be covered", so presumably there was a precedent for different dress.

I was thaught that women covered their hair and put it up at all times, long flowing manes were the trademark and visual clue for the " public" ladies of the village ... 

Yes, I am very aware that football is important to people in the Deep South.  We schedule our weddings around football games.  What I have never understood, despite growing up in Louisiana, is the rabid/tailgating/season ticket owning/fanaticism for SEC schools (like LSU, my own alma mater) by people who didn't go there.  I am very aware it EXISTS.  I just don't GET IT. 

After the excitement earlier this year with two babies getting ready to be born and all the first birthdays and Tori starting to court there was always something new going on.  I'm bored by the Bates recently.  We need an engagement or pregnancy announcement.  An indictment would work too. 

16 minutes ago, JMO said:

After the excitement earlier this year with two babies getting ready to be born and all the first birthdays and Tori starting to court there was always something new going on.  I'm bored by the Bates recently.  We need an engagement or pregnancy announcement.  An indictment would work too. 

Alyssa is lazy not getting pregnant again, she could have 2 kids already and Lawson is getting old and still not courting, I'm sure Kelly isn't happy at all.  Not everything is lollipops and rainbows chez Bates.

(Being ironic of course).

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa is lazy not getting pregnant again, she could have 2 kids already and Lawson is getting old and still not courting, I'm sure Kelly isn't happy at all.  Not everything is lollipops and rainbows chez Bates.

(Being ironic of course).

You spoke too soon!

I wouldn't worry too much about Michael, she probably expects the high baby output, and Alyssa was actually slower with her second than Erin and Whit. Plus, she may be good at faking it, but it seems Michael is genuinely happy with each new baby that enters the family, though not hers. 

Dammit, Alyssa. January??  I was hoping that she would have a 2 year gap between kids.

So, she will be age 22, with 2 kids. Terrific, she's on track to be another Sierra.

56 minutes ago, GnomeCat said:

Uh oh snarky friends. Grandbabies never stop in this family! Snark away!

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/news/alyssa-bates-webster-and-husband-john-are-expecting/

The video at the bottom of that page (link below) of Alyssa trying to draw "Stars in the East" in a Pictionary-like game - the compass points (where she drew "East") made me wonder if she was just under pressure or really doesn't know cardinal directions.  The fact that no one guessed hers but they got "sucker/lollipop" as a family shouldn't surprise me I guess...

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/draw-that-bates-stars-of-the-show/

I know this is a snark board........but Allie Jane is such a cute lil nugget:

alyssa-bates-webster-lexie-mae-photo-gal

alyssa-bates-webster-lexie-mae-photo-gal

Hopefully Alyssa really does mean it when she says she isn't planning a quiver and Allie Jane and the incoming baby girl are spared lives like Michael and the J'Slaves had. 

I'm terrible at being able to tell who babies favour in looks when it comes to their parents. Allie kinda looks like both her parents. And it's damn sad that fundie parents produce such dang cute kids.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I'm terrible at being able to tell who babies favour in looks when it comes to their parents. Allie kinda looks like both her parents. And it's damn sad that fundie parents produce such dang cute kids.

Well, fundies really stress physical beauty in terms of women. So, theoretically, 50% of the gene pool would lean toward attractive. Attractive people tend to attract other attractive people. I know it's shallow, but it does make sense. Now looking at the female Bateses and Duggars, most are nice looking.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

To me Allie looks exactly like Kelly. Remarkably so. 

Seriously, though, what IS the deal with fundie fertility?  They are astonishingly fecund. (Pisses me off a bit when I read the trials and tribulations of our FJ members who are trying to conceive.) 

21 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

To me Allie looks exactly like Kelly. Remarkably so. 

Seriously, though, what IS the deal with fundie fertility?  They are astonishingly fecund. (Pisses me off a bit when I read the trials and tribulations of our FJ members who are trying to conceive.) 

Wish we knew the secret. Maybe we should all buy frumpers and start globbing on the makeup? 

At any rate...

I predict a -ie name. Gracie, maybe. Or an -ey name. Chloey. Zoey. 

8 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Why not just Chloe, no Y? The Websters, Bateses and Paines seem to have no issue with shared names. There's Ellie Bates and there's Ellie Webster. There's Carson Paine and also Carson Webster. So since John has a niece named Chloe it wouldn't surprise me at all if he and Alyssa named this one Chloe, not that I like so many shared names amongst close and living relatives. I just think that gets too confusing--the Muellers already have to differentiate the two Calebs in their family with their middle names.

But I can totally see them using Gracie.

37 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Wish we knew the secret. Maybe we should all buy frumpers and start globbing on the makeup? 

At any rate...

Maybe cream of crap soup is a fertility booster. 

Or tater tot casserole is an aphrodisiac. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived