IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

Perfect timing. When Alyssa has had her baby it will almost be time for the speculation game to begin anew for Whit and Erin. 

And maybe even a wedding or at a least an engagement, and what about Michael? She could be the next 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Alyssa, only time will tell with Cherin. I like to hope that they're taking this seriously and have a plan in place. But I don't know if that's necessarily realistic.

I came here ready to join AVIDLY into the thread and there isn't one! So I'm starting my own.... :boom:

Random thoughts so far...

1. It was announced on Instagram on the Bates family page rather than Alyssa's own, so she must be serious about staying off social media for the moment.

2. She's due in January so is approx 4+ months pregnant but still tiny - she could easily have hidden it for another month or two. 

3. At least AllieJane got marginally longer without a sibling than most of her cousins.

4. Six Bates grandchildren now (including the bump) and the Duggs have seven (counting Jessa's bump)....whoooey, Jim Bob won't like that. I'm sure his fragile little ego needs his children to be more fertile than Gil Bates's children.

5. Curious from the pics about whether Alyssa is really, really small and John in average-sized, or she's average height and he's super tall. Off to research this now :) 

There's nothing in the spoiler thread below so don't bother clicking. Don't know where that came from...:confused2:

19 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

I came here ready to join AVIDLY into the thread and there isn't one! So I'm starting my own...

Search is your friend. 

If you click on the spoiler box and then click the little x on the top left and delete, you can easily remove it. 

23 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

I came here ready to join AVIDLY into the thread and there isn't one! So I'm starting my own.... :boom:

Random thoughts so far...

1. It was announced on Instagram on the Bates family page rather than Alyssa's own, so she must be serious about staying off social media for the moment.

2. She's due in January so is approx 4+ months pregnant but still tiny - she could easily have hidden it for another month or two. 

3. At least AllieJane got marginally longer without a sibling than most of her cousins.

4. Six Bates grandchildren now (including the bump) and the Duggs have seven (counting Jessa's bump)....whoooey, Jim Bob won't like that. I'm sure his fragile little ego needs his children to be more fertile than Gil Bates's children.

5. Curious from the pics about whether Alyssa is really, really small and John in average-sized, or she's average height and he's super tall. Off to research this now :) 

There's nothing in the spoiler thread below so don't bother clicking. Don't know where that came from...:confused2:

We've been discussing it in the main thread for the Bates family. :pb_smile:

1. It was announced first via UP TV's website and Instagram account. Her parents and John posted later about it. But yes, Alyssa seems firm about staying off social media (good for her.)

2. She is due January 27th, which puts her around 21 weeks (she's two weeks behind me). You can't really go by month because development changes rapidly from week to week. But yes, she could have kept it quiet a bit longer if she wanted to. I'm guessing they wanted to wait to learn the sex before saying anything (it's another girl).

3. Very true. This age gap should be similar to the gap between Bradley and Kaci. Should hopefully make things more manageable for them as they adapt to two kids, but time will tell.

4. Yeah, but the Duggars may get that elusive 20th kid via family adoption. So joke is on Gil and Kelly! (Really wish I had a vomiting emoji to use here)

5. Alyssa is pretty short and John is rather tall. The height difference isn't always so noticeable because Alyssa favors rather high heels. 

:puke-huge::puke-front::puke-left::puke-right:

It seems to be my lot in life to provide those for people. 

:kitty-cussing::GPn0zNK::mouse-shock:

I had to throw in a few extras. 

Alyssa's pregnancy photo shoot is cracking me up because she doesn't even look pregnant. She looks like she just ate a decent sized dinner if that. 

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

And I look for another "surprise" announcement from Erin by about this time next year. I don't think they will try to prevent at all.

I don't think they will either. Sadly now that Brooklyn's born, its only a matter of time before Erin gets pregnant again.  Look at how fast she got pregnant after Carson. I know they said they were surprised. But when you or your wife has a serious problem maintaining a pregnancy to the point of needing shots every day or she'll miscarry like she did the first three babies and everything still could go wrong and she and/or the baby could die. That's not something you forget. That's something if you take birth control pills or other forms of birth control until your ready for baby number two.   

I don't think that Erin is done either but I actually think they will try to do some spacing now but since I also suspect they will only be OK with NFP they will have at least two more surprises. I hope they will be able to prevent having too many babies reasonably well because I fear that Erin will suffer from it otherwise. 

On 9/14/2016 at 8:37 PM, JMO said:

Gracie or Hallie. 

No for the love of God not rhyming names. I went to school with twins named Marley and Carley 

All those grandbabies from three couples. Imagine how much bigger their number will be when another one gets married. Only speculation, but I think Michael and Brandon are struggling to get pregnant. 

All those grandbabies from three couples. Imagine how much bigger their number will be when another one gets married. Only speculation, but I think Michael and Brandon are struggling to get pregnant. 

Sadly, I agree with you. Growing up in that environment, knowing your purpose is to grow up and get married and have a lot of babies and see all your siblings get pregnant pretty quick and you're not ... I cannot imagine that is not painful for her, no matter how well she believes in God's timing. I have a huge amount of sympathy for Michaela if that's what she's facing. I don't really know what fundies believe about fertility treatment but I hope against hope that Michaela is not made to believe that it's her fault and I hope she knows there's options out there for her. I do wonder if fundie men would be willing to get tested or if they would just want to wait on God...

Didn't Kelly go for fertility treatments or something similar? Maybe that would encourage Michael and Brandon to look into medical intervention. Fertility coverage is pretty abysmal, from what I've read, but if their convictions aren't a problem, they could always go for it.

17 minutes ago, season of life said:

Didn't Kelly go for fertility treatments or something similar? Maybe that would encourage Michael and Brandon to look into medical intervention. Fertility coverage is pretty abysmal, from what I've read, but if their convictions aren't a problem, they could always go for it.

I believe she took progesterone after she got pregnant to maintain the pregnancy.  I hope and pray Michaela isn't going through that.  My husband and I are currently being treated for miscarriage and infertility and I will tell you it sucks big time!

14 minutes ago, season of life said:

As far as my limited knowledge goes -

I think these families are fine with medical interventions that help sustain pregnancies, such as Erin's heparin shots or Michelle Duggar's medical treatments during her last pregnancies, because in their opinion they're maintaining an already existing life. But I don't believe they are ok with fertility treatments that help couples get pregnant though. I can't remember the exact reasoning behind it. I could be incorrect, so don't quote me on that.

As for the Keilens, I'm not going to speculate on what may be happening because they are a relatively private couple who hasn't discussed anything publicly (and I feel like she's dealt with too much curiosity and prying on social media too. Girlfriend needs a break.) I do hope they are enjoying married life a great deal though.

1 minute ago, jlbturtle said:

I believe she took progesterone after she got pregnant to maintain the pregnancy.  I hope and pray Michaela isn't going through that.  My husband and I are currently being treated for miscarriage and infertility and I will tell you it sucks big time!

I'm really sorry. A lot of us on here have experienced miscarriages or are struggling with infertility. If you need to talk, head over to the thread on Are You There Free Jinger. Lots of really great and supportive people in there. :pb_smile:

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

As far as my limited knowledge goes -

I think these families are fine with medical interventions that help sustain pregnancies, such as Erin's heparin shots or Michelle Duggar's medical treatments during her last pregnancies, because in their opinion they're maintaining an already existing life. But I don't believe they are ok with fertility treatments that help couples get pregnant though. I can't remember the exact reasoning behind it. I could be incorrect, so don't quote me on that.

Is it possibile that the problem will be go against god will? I mean for them is god Who decide everything, so if you try to get pregnant with medicin because otherways your anable is Like if you are cheating? 

Since they view children as literal gifts from God I can easily see fertility treatments to get pregnant being like stealing from him or somehow defying his will and whatnot. If God doesn't want to give you a baby you can't just take one without asking. Maintaining an existing pregnancy would be seen as just helping god's will be fulfilled. 

I would hope this isn't actually the case because if a couple in this cult can't produce I have to imagine they would experience judgment and even open criticism from their community. I think we all hope Michael(a) is doing well internally, but I really hope she is not dealing with questions or remarks from the local ATI/IBLP crowd. Hopefully her family is being cool and not pestering them. I also would like to think her family would support whatever medical interventions they might seek out. 

I don't want more kids born into this cult, but I hurt to think of someone struggling with infertility no matter their lifestyle.

They do get enough pestering from random Instagram people. I am surprised people think it's okay to go on her account and flat out ask. If she wants to tell IG followers, she'll tell them of her own accord.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

They do get enough pestering from random Instagram people. I am surprised people think it's okay to go on her account and flat out ask. If she wants to tell IG followers, she'll tell them of her own accord.

I'm not overly surprised to be honest. People on social media tend to forget things like boundaries. And it gets even worse when you add in fandom on top of it. Plus, the Bates fans can kind of just be entitled assholes on top of it.

I figure most people are fine with how they speculate on here though. No one is talking about going and actually pestering them personally or really trying to pry into their business. And pretty much everyone expresses some sympathy for what they might be dealing with - even if they're glad there aren't more kids being born into the cult. That seems reasonable and respectful enough to me.

1 hour ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Since they view children as literal gifts from God I can easily see fertility treatments to get pregnant being like stealing from him or somehow defying his will and whatnot. If God doesn't want to give you a baby you can't just take one without asking. Maintaining an existing pregnancy would be seen as just helping god's will be fulfilled. 

I would hope this isn't actually the case because if a couple in this cult can't produce I have to imagine they would experience judgment and even open criticism from their community. I think we all hope Michael(a) is doing well internally, but I really hope she is not dealing with questions or remarks from the local ATI/IBLP crowd. Hopefully her family is being cool and not pestering them. I also would like to think her family would support whatever medical interventions they might seek out. 

I don't want more kids born into this cult, but I hurt to think of someone struggling with infertility no matter their lifestyle.

They only believe in God's timing when it's convenient. 

The issue I see coming up if, say, Michaela needed to try IVF, would be all of those "human lives" left in the test tube. She'd either have to be the next octo-mom, let Kelly carry some (LOL), or keep implanting them one after another. Can't be killing those babies... ahem, I mean two-celled zygotes. 

Weren't Brandon and M. courting for a pretty long time by fundie standards?  Maybe Brandon has the same approach to possible parenthood as he did to getting married; long and slow?  I hope that the time is by their choice, and not out of inability. 

We have a niece who is having trouble conceiving, and is married to the oldest nephew of the pack of 11...and many of the others are on to child 2 and 3. My heart breaks for her.

Since they borrow so much from the conservative Jewish culture I'm surprised they're not OK with IVF.  When I was going through infertility there were many religious Jewish couples who were doing whatever it takes to have a baby at the clinic I went to.  During some church appearance the Duggars did Michelle was asked her views on IVF and she stammered.  Said something about how she can't relate but she really feels for the women who go through it. I got the impression she wouldn't approve.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Weren't Brandon and M. courting for a pretty long time by fundie standards?  Maybe Brandon has the same approach to possible parenthood as he did to getting married; long and slow?  I hope that the time is by their choice, and not out of inability. 

We have a niece who is having trouble conceiving, and is married to the oldest nephew of the pack of 11...and many of the others are on to child 2 and 3. My heart breaks for her.

Some FJers don't think they are preventing because both stated they wanted as many God would give them. Zach, Erin, and Alyssa all had kids quickly, and we know Erin struggled in the beginning. It's looking like they are infertile because it's been so long without an announcement. 

Is "thrilled to death" a common expression somewhere? I've never heard it used and it's a little weird to me, particularly in the context of a pregnancy announcement. Just wondering!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived