IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

I do agree that oftentimes pants, even tighter pants, are actually more modest than any skirt at knee level or above since crossing your ankles like a proper lady does nothing to help the gap of fabric pointing straight to the crotch. But I disagree with shaming her with that picture. All I see is her knees and *gasp* confirmation that she has two legs. 

Looks like a cute outfit. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a skirt, often it will ride up. I have a knee-length skirt and while it looks perfectly modest, the minute I sit down, I get a little gap. It's not really a big deal and pointing Carlin's gap out reminds me of those fundie IG people who whine about extremely modest swimsuits on the Bates IG. 

All I see in those pictures are a nicely dressed young lady having a bit of fun goofing off with her brothers.

I don't think the poster intended to shame Carlin with that post... But that's exactly how it came across. And that just isn't fair or right because she did nothing to deserve that.

I tried to delete my post but time ran out.    I will face the reaction to my action. 

I did not mean to disrespect Carlin or any woman out there.   I understand why some are unhappy with my post and pictures and why.   

I was just snarking on something that I was surprised to see, but I realize now it was tacky and demeaning. 

Carlin - If you are reading here, I think your outfit is adorable and you look adorable in it.  I did not mean to shame you or make you feel uncomfortable and if I did and I apologize. 

To play Devil's advocate here, I do understand what doubleT was trying to say here with the Bates' fashion choices. They shout modesty from the roofs, but often sport skin tight shirts and their skirts continue to creep up year after year. While I don't find anything wrong or *gasp* shocking with Carlin's clothing choice in the photos (and I believe the original poster already apologized for posting the photos), I do think it's still ridiculous that they think they are being more modest in a skirt (that sits above the knees when sitting) and a tight shirt, compared to a woman wearing nice fitting pants and top. When I see a woman wearing pants and a top, they look just as beautifully modest to me as the Duggars & Bates claim to be in a skirt. Maybe even more so, because when they sit, they don't have to worry about accidentally letting their skirt ride up too much. There isn't a possibility of seeing a naked thigh in pants.

Don't misconstrue this post as me shaming Carlin in anyway (I'm not). I'm just tired of hearing them talk about modesty needing to be skirts only, when honestly it's just silly.

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

To play Devil's advocate here, I do understand what doubleT was trying to say here with the Bates' fashion choices. They shout modesty from the roofs, but often sport skin tight shirts and their skirts continue to creep up year after year. While I don't find anything wrong or *gasp* shocking with Carlin's clothing choice in the photos (and I believe the original poster already apologized for posting the photos), I do think it's still ridiculous that they think they are being more modest in a skirt (that sits above the knees when sitting) and a tight shirt, compared to a woman wearing nice fitting pants and top. When I see a woman wearing pants and a top, they look just as beautifully modest to me as the Duggars & Bates claim to be in a skirt. Maybe even more so, because when they sit, they don't have to worry about accidentally letting their skirt ride up too much. There isn't a possibility of seeing a naked thigh in pants.

Don't misconstrue this post as me shaming Carlin in anyway (I'm not). I'm just tired of hearing them talk about modesty needing to be skirts only, when honestly it's just silly.

Kelly has said before that part of the reason they wear skirts is a "difference between male and female".

So it's not just a modesty thing, it's also a "no dressing like a man" thing.

Watching Carson's birthday party, I thought about how it is probably a good thing they don't drink alcohol. They are obnoxious enough, the idea of a drunken Bates family makes me shudder lol. :56247961de1fe_AnimeExpressionsareoverdoneXD: 

The post was all about them being Tennessee football fans.  Do you think they have ever seen a game?  Are they allowed to watch sports on TV?  I thought the whole thing was a bit weird.

13 minutes ago, wandering woman said:

The post was all about them being Tennessee football fans.  Do you think they have ever seen a game?  Are they allowed to watch sports on TV?  I thought the whole thing was a bit weird.

I recall that Jinger and I think Joy were pictured with some Bates at a Tennessee game last year. Fueling the Lawson/Jinger courtship speculation.

I have been to games in most of the SEC stadiums and UT is one of the more, shall we say "drunker" venues. It's amusing to imagine the Batesessses mixing it up with some of that crowd. 

3 hours ago, Arix said:

Kelly has said before that part of the reason they wear skirts is a "difference between male and female".

So it's not just a modesty thing, it's also a "no dressing like a man" thing.

Yeah, Kelly the rest of the world is constantly confused by men and women in pants. We all just wander around talking to people wearing pants never knowing if their a man or woman. Its just random luck we get married.  Up until that moment the bride comes down in a dress, no man knows if the person he was dating or "courting" for several months to several years was a man or woman.  Women, well we never know until wedding night its a big surprise. Will it be a man or will it be a woman when the pants come off. Its not like there's any other way to tell. 

53 minutes ago, wandering woman said:

Zach has a TV at his house so I think the older ones go over to his and watch it. I do believe there was an Instagram post in the past of some of them over at his house and it was speculated that this was for the match.

1 hour ago, wandering woman said:

I have always kind of wondered about people who don't go to college being college football fans.  The Duggars are big Razorbacks fans, for example.  I'd have a hard time supporting the team of a school I didn't go to/want to go to.  

31 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I have always kind of wondered about people who don't go to college being college football fans.  The Duggars are big Razorbacks fans, for example.  I'd have a hard time supporting the team of a school I didn't go to/want to go to.  

A lot of posters have mentioned the fact that some states - like Arkansas - don't have many professional sports teams. So I can get why the Duggars (and many non-alumni in the state) may cheer for the Razorbacks. It's the closest they have to a professional football team.

Lawson sang the American national anthem at a University of Tennessee men's basketball game this past February, so he definitely has a connection to UT athletics.  It wouldn't be surprising if he's been to a football game (or two), either.

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

A lot of posters have mentioned the fact that some states - like Arkansas - don't have many professional sports teams.

Please allow me to fix that for you.  :my_biggrin:

20 hours ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Watching Carson's birthday party, I thought about how it is probably a good thing they don't drink alcohol. They are obnoxious enough, the idea of a drunken Bates family makes me shudder lol. :56247961de1fe_AnimeExpressionsareoverdoneXD: 

Do remember that some people improve with alcohol, at least your own tolerance to them might improve. Getting someone not that used to alcohol just the right amount of tipsy can be hilarious, they often don't get that they are drunk and think they are just the most fun and exciting person on earth. Note, I am not advocating giving someone alcohol without their consent.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Arkansas Travelers!!

Thank you.  As much time as I spent in Arkansas with my parents I never heard of them, but frequently heard there were no pro teams of any kind as a lament. 

5 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'm now imagining Gil giving a drunken chalk talk while the rest of them giggle.

Lolz, that would be a BuB episode that I would actually watch.

On 9/12/2016 at 3:10 PM, QuiverDance said:

Down in the deep south...football is a religion.  Everyone has their team that they follow....you're born into it.  Doesn't matter if you attend that college or any college.  In the mid-Atlantic states (and it seems in the mid-west), college basketball is almost as revered.  Though I haven't seen churches nearly split after a duke/unc basketball game, lol, like I have over some SEC football rivalries!  

On 9/12/2016 at 3:10 PM, QuiverDance said:

I live in Big Ten country - many people are as into college football as pro and it's not about the school...it's about the teams.  

I will say if you have a family member who played college football for a big ten school they never stop talking about it no matter how long it's been or how old they get.  Never.  It's apparently an accomplishment that eclipses all other accomplishments of mere mortals who have never known the stink of a big 10 locker room.

I hate college football.

13 minutes ago, BoPeep said:

Down in the deep south...football is a religion.  Everyone has their team that they follow....you're born into it.  Doesn't matter if you attend that college or any college.  In the mid-Atlantic states (and it seems in the mid-west), college basketball is almost as revered.  Though I haven't seen churches nearly split after a duke/unc basketball game, lol, like I have over some SEC football rivalries!  

So true, although midwesterners with decent football schools near them can be fanatical, too. I'm a Cornhusker by birth and a Jayhawk by choice. My Nebraska relatives are crazy when it comes to football. I'm crazy when it comes to basketball. 

My husband and I attended U of Alabama satellite campuses in Huntsville and Birmingham. We have a lot of family members and friends who attend/attended U of Alabama. We are die hard Crimson Tide fans. ROLL TIDE!!!

41 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

My husband and I attended U of Alabama satellite campuses in Huntsville and Birmingham. We have a lot of family members and friends who attend/attended U of Alabama. We are die hard Crimson Tide fans. ROLL TIDE!!!

Roll Tide, @RosyDaisy!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived