IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

The name debate for us is non-existent because we already decided that, if we have children, we will be following our tradition and using entirely family names. We might "Americanize" them if we still live here, just to make their life easier, but the jury is still out on this one - while my husband's name is common in the English language, mine is not and it gets constantly butchered, so I have resigned to using a nickname (not a fan of this practice).

So far we have only settled on two combinations (first and middle names) for boys and two for girls, we'll see what happens. They are all full, pretty standard names. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 104 year old woman who lives across the street from my Mom sent me a letter when my daughter was born last month congratulating me for giving her an "old timey" name (Marianne). She also wrote "and at least she can change her last name when she gets married" which made me laugh and laugh. 

I'm not a fan of cutesy nickname first names like Allie and Lexie, but as someone pointed out up thread, it's not like Alyssa is going to be encouraging her daughters to aspire to be Supreme Court Justices. Then again, one of the senior partners in my firm is named "Candi" so it's certainly not impossible for people to overcome the obstacles of a goofy name. 

Our naming policy was:

1. It can't rhyme with anything bad in Swedish or English. It cannot mean anything bad in any language we speak or have close friends who speak. As an example, our son would never get the name Jerker for obvious reasons.

2. No made up name. All names are made up at one point but we are not going to be inventive.

3. Not a name that we will not use and which will only lead to nicknames. We would rather go the route of naming the child a nickname.

4. Not an extremely common name such as Anna, Sara, Erik, Johan etc. Basically names here in Sweden that there are tons of since my husband has one of the most common lastnames and that will mean problems such as mixed up mail and such.

Since this discussion has continued another day, I think I'll throw another nickel in. 

Starting with my generation, I think there has been a little relaxing on names that end in y. Notice that I said a little. When I was born, you couldn't shake a stick without clobbering several Jennifers, Michelles, and Heathers, as well as Amys and Kellys. Now the Amys and Kellys have grown up and have achieved several of the higher level jobs, which they are very qualified for and successful at, including professional jobs. 

I will hand it to the Bates'...at least their kids (male and female) seem to be getting SOME KIND of post-secondary education/trade.

On 12/09/2016 at 9:10 PM, QuiverDance said:

I have always kind of wondered about people who don't go to college being college football fans.  The Duggars are big Razorbacks fans, for example.  I'd have a hard time supporting the team of a school I didn't go to/want to go to.  

isn't college football a big deal in America? My friend is from Ohio, and they have a couple of NFL teams, but her grandpa is waaay more into the Buckeyes, the state college team.

College football is a religion in the South. My family are diehard Alabama fans. ROLL TIDE!!!

8 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

have we talked about this yet? i remember some speculation that josie was already attending college classes, and today i saw on wtffundiefamilies - apparently josie is attending cosmetology school at crown.  

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/image/151161389280

I forgot I was on the Bates subforum. Whenever I see Josie on here I automatically think Duggar first. It took me longer than I'm proud of to figure out who you meant.

Anyway, cosmetology school? That's surprising but pretty cool. Really glad the ladies in this family seem to at least get the option of schooling after high school. I would love to see Jana or Joy taking classes somewhere but I'm not holding my breath for that.

9 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

have we talked about this yet? i remember some speculation that josie was already attending college classes, and today i saw on wtffundiefamilies - apparently josie is attending cosmetology school at crown.  

Josie said herself on a BuB episode she was going to Crown this year and most likely entering the cosmetology program. Good for her... assuming Crown's program makes them eligible for state licensure, she could support herself if she ever had to. It's a solid career choice for anyone. 

9 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

I must be missing something--which of these students is supposed to be Josie Bates? I don't see her.

44 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I must be missing something--which of these students is supposed to be Josie Bates? I don't see her.

I think she is squished in the back. You can't really see her clearly.

Her head is half hidden but shes there in the middle.

Side note: that's a lot of black skirts, side parts and curls. Wow all those girls look exactly alike.

Can we talk about the BatesFam birthday message to Katie Bates? It makes me so angry:

You're one of the most content & grateful children I know! You never ask for anything & never complain when you don't get something! You don't want anyone to spend money on you or go to any trouble for you.

I know it's been said before and it's part of an underlying problem with fundie attitudes toward women, but I just hate how much they celebrate girls/women being "content" and "never ask[ing] for anything & never complain[ing]".

As someone about to give birth in just a few weeks, I hope to raise strong men and women who:

- Are strong enough to speak out when they are not satisfied with something

- Are honest about their needs and desires, especially if they're not being met

- Are willing to work to make their lives better, not just always settle for what they have

- Are grateful for what they have, yes, but also are ambitious and strive to improve their own lives

- Are not shy to ask for what they need, so I don't always have to guess if their needs are being met

- Are comfortable enough with me as a parent to let me know what they need, what can improve in their lives, what I can do better

Aren't these important character traits? I mean hey, maybe she really is the most content kid ever, but I just hate that those characteristics are emulated above all others because it sends the message that there's something wrong with you if you're not satisfied or your needs are not being met.

End rant.

@freethemall I agree. It sounds like her parents don't want to do anything for her and they're glad she's not whining about it.

As for never wanting to put anyone out, that's not an inherently bad character trait, but the *why* matters. Is she just a thoughtful and caring person who hates to see people stress about throwing a party? Or does she think she doesn't deserve the effort?

1 hour ago, season of life said:

I think she is squished in the back. You can't really see her clearly.

Thanks-- I looked at the ribbon-cutting video for the cosmetology program on Crown College's Facebook page, and I agree that it does look like her. We know from a post on the Bates Instagram that she is taking classes at Crown this semester.

Good for her.  Although I can't believe how "unartistic" these students look. Everyone has the same fundy maiden look. No creativity (or green hair) allowed in this cosmetology class!

Ok total snark here- but in Crown cosmetology school would it be considered evil or a sin to style someones hair in a contemporary fashion (I'm imagining someone asking for a pixie cut or the like). Looking at all those girls in that picture, I feel like each class will be titled "Loose flowing curls 101.....Loose flowing curls 102, etc. etc.).

All kidding aside, at least she is doing what she said she was planning to do.

22 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

The 104 year old woman who lives across the street from my Mom sent me a letter when my daughter was born last month congratulating me for giving her an "old timey" name (Marianne). She also wrote "and at least she can change her last name when she gets married" which made me laugh and laugh. 

My Mom got kinda the same reaction from a professor at her school when he heard the name of her kids. Solid, good names that were timeless and strong. 

So, I like your choice of name (has nooothing to do with me having the same name as you daughter :pb_lol:

@HereticHick Josie is second from the left in the second row.  You only see part of her face.  

I think that this was a great option on her part.  Besides the fact that fundies put a lot of emphasis on how they look and making sure the womenz/girlz keep a pleasing countenance,  she can help all her family members get pretty (a cheap way to give a wedding gift for when she has her own umpteen kids) and if she ever needed to she can make money.  If, heaven forbid, she ever needs to supplement her husband's income or needs to support herself she can open a shop out of her kitchen and makes some cash on the side.  Flexible hours, no stigma, portable.  Overall a great skill to have.  

10 minutes ago, JMO said:

@HereticHick Josie is second from the left in the second row.  You only see part of her face.  

I think that this was a great option on her part.  Besides the fact that fundies put a lot of emphasis on how they look and making sure the womenz/girlz keep a pleasing countenance,  she can help all her family members get pretty (a cheap way to give a wedding gift for when she has her own umpteen kids) and if she ever needed to she can make money.  If, heaven forbid, she ever needs to supplement her husband's income or needs to support herself she can open a shop out of her kitchen and makes some cash on the side.  Flexible hours, no stigma, portable.  Overall a great skill to have.  

It is smart. She could be self-employed anywhere in the country

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Ok total snark here- but in Crown cosmetology school would it be considered evil or a sin to style someones hair in a contemporary fashion (I'm imagining someone asking for a pixie cut or the like). Looking at all those girls in that picture, I feel like each class will be titled "Loose flowing curls 101.....Loose flowing curls 102, etc. etc.).

All kidding aside, at least she is doing what she said she was planning to do.

Don't several of the fundie bloggers have short hair?

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

Don't several of the fundie bloggers have short hair?

I think so (depends on your definition of short, I suppose), but Erika Shupe takes the sugarless cake for fundies with short hair. 

5 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Ok total snark here- but in Crown cosmetology school would it be considered evil or a sin to style someones hair in a contemporary fashion (I'm imagining someone asking for a pixie cut or the like).

Giggling, imagining the hairdressing class, where they learn how to tell a client who wants a pixie cut that long flowing curls would suit her so much more!  And now I'm imagining the "Southern Charm" classes, for telling clients that what they want is wrong, wrong, wrong!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived