IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

13 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Taking a wild guess that Lexie Mae is the chosen name and not just a rumor based on the letters I can make out peeking out under the Allie Jane banner. 

Was just going to comment on this. At the very least, the middle name definitely looks like it could be Mae. But it doesn't look like the last banner in the first name is an E. Could be an I- Lexi Mae?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lexie Mae really seems to fit with her naming style. 

Other possibilities:

Sadie Rae

Cassie Mae

Lacie Jo

Maisie Rae

Aubrie Faye

Kylie Jo

There was a Kylie Jo featured on a recent episode of MBFAGW. She was an 11 year old pageant kid with an Irish Traveller mother and a Romanichal father.

Sometimes I think e forget that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Every time someone says something is a good sign, someone is quick to say BUT THEY ARE STILL FUNDIE. Yeah. We know that. But I don't know about you, but I don't realistically expect one of these kids to go full on Breaking Duggar/Breaking Bates and post a topless picture saying FREE THE NIPPLE while holding a MY BODY MY CHOICE #ISTANDWITHPLANNEDPARENTHOOD banner. They are super religious and indoctrinated.

But little victories can be just that. Little signs that perhaps the next generation might have a more normal upbringing and that some of these girls are taking back a bit of autonomy and decision making for themselves.

Yes, it is just a pair of pants. But it is still a sign that Whitney (and her headship) have relaxed a little. That might mean they relax a little for Kaci and don't make her jump on trampolines in long skirts and can play more easily. It means Whitney has decided she wants to wear jeans again and is DOING it. 

It's a baby step, I know it is a baby step, but like they say, Rome wasn't built in a Day. Baby steps away from super fundieness are still some progress, even if it is not much. Some progress is better than none. A small act of defiance and independence is better than no acts of defiance or independence at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see one of those kids dramatically flip the bird to the entire damn cult, but I'm also a realist and don't think it will happen any time soon. 

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

There was a Kylie Jo featured on a recent episode of MBFAGW. She was an 11 year old pageant kid with an Irish Traveller mother and a Romanichal father.

Wasn't her name Kylei Jo? Or was that a different girl on TLC?

So Alyssa is having another girl? Sweet Jeebus, the Webster household is going to be engulfed in toxic levels of glitter & pink tulle. And so. many. flower. headbands.

Oh, and Alyssa, you are using #colorpalettes, not #colorpallets, unless you are going with some sort of industrial packing crate nursery decorating theme.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Oh, and Alyssa, you are using #colorpalettes, not #colorpallets, unless you are going with some sort of industrial packing crate nursery decorating theme.

I just saw this in my Unread Content and nearly choked on my Pepsi!!

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Careful, she's going to leave IG again. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Tell that to the 600 pinterest pallet projects.. maybe she's building the next crib with them ;) 

On 10/2/2016 at 10:52 AM, RhythmicSkater said:

Some of my friends have had the logic of "Why give my child a long name if I'm not intending to call them that?" One actually did name her daughter Lexi for that reason (I also know a Kimmy and Liv). As far as names go, Lexie Mae is a cute name; they could've done a lot worse (Spurgeon, anyone?). 

I have a friend named Katie for the same reason. Her maternal Grandmother pestered her mother to give her a "real" name and just call her Katie. Katie's mom was all, "Why bother if we're just going to call her Katie?"

On 10/2/2016 at 6:52 PM, Mela99 said:

This is why epidurals scare the hell out of me. When my mother had my brother by c-section, it didn't kick in entirely. She felt a lot of it -- and kept telling the doctor, but he brushed her off and said it was pressure and nerves since he was her first child. I can't even imagine that kind of terror....

My OB does a test pinch before c-sections. When I yelled out, they all looked amazed. They defiantly believed me, but they all looked horrified and like they didn't know what to do. It just takes longer for me for it to kick in. Once it did I didn't feel a thing during. :)

What I remember about my epidural was this really thin nurse being all lean into me and curl your back like a cat. I was thinking first of all I don't trust you to hold me, secondly who says curl your back like a cat, and finally the doctor better do this right since I've just had to sign a shit ton of paperwork stating he's not liable if I end up paralyzed. The doctor was amazing. Barely felt the injection, they the nice warm numbing of my bum followed by the rest of me. My husband watched and took pictures during the c-section and was all I can't believe you didn't feel anything other than a little pulling. He was all man they were yanking and pulling really hard. Then again I'm sensitive to any pain meds, which thankfully was a good thing during the c-section.

18 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Sometimes I think e forget that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Every time someone says something is a good sign, someone is quick to say BUT THEY ARE STILL FUNDIE. Yeah. We know that. But I don't know about you, but I don't realistically expect one of these kids to go full on Breaking Duggar/Breaking Bates and post a topless picture saying FREE THE NIPPLE while holding a MY BODY MY CHOICE #ISTANDWITHPLANNEDPARENTHOOD banner. They are super religious and indoctrinated.

But little victories can be just that. Little signs that perhaps the next generation might have a more normal upbringing and that some of these girls are taking back a bit of autonomy and decision making for themselves.

Yes, it is just a pair of pants. But it is still a sign that Whitney (and her headship) have relaxed a little. That might mean they relax a little for Kaci and don't make her jump on trampolines in long skirts and can play more easily. It means Whitney has decided she wants to wear jeans again and is DOING it. 

It's a baby step, I know it is a baby step, but like they say, Rome wasn't built in a Day. Baby steps away from super fundieness are still some progress, even if it is not much. Some progress is better than none. A small act of defiance and independence is better than no acts of defiance or independence at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see one of those kids dramatically flip the bird to the entire damn cult, but I'm also a realist and don't think it will happen any time soon. 

But fundamentalist does not equal wearing skirts. Many, many brands of fundamentalists wear pants. Many, many diehard IBLP members (including the Websters!) wear pants. It isn't an act of defiance or independence from IBLP or fundieism at all because wearing pants is perfectly acceptable to IBLP and to most flavors of fundies. It *may* be a small act of independence against the parents, depending on how serious Kelly and Gil are when they say that the married adults can make their own choices when they are in their own homes, but given that women are expected to follow the spiritual guidance and leadership of their headship, it probably isn't even seen as that.

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The SOTDRT strikes again. Woo-hoo.

Maybe she'll do an industrial theme of pallets covered in huge flowers and glitter.

Its called a marketing strategy not baby steps out of fundie land or defiance.

On 10/11/2016 at 5:43 PM, Casserole said:

Taking a wild guess that Lexie Mae is the chosen name and not just a rumor based on the letters I can make out peeking out under the Allie Jane banner. 

It wouldn't surprise me. Someone commented on Jill/Dill naming the kid Israel and they were right. 

Note to fundies: if you wanna sell the story, don't tell other people what you're gonna name the kid first.

Though I do feel bad for whoever of their friend/family member is that has a big mouth.

3 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

But fundamentalist does not equal wearing skirts. Many, many brands of fundamentalists wear pants. Many, many diehard IBLP members (including the Websters!) wear pants. It isn't an act of defiance or independence from IBLP or fundieism at all because wearing pants is perfectly acceptable to IBLP and to most flavors of fundies. It *may* be a small act of independence against the parents, depending on how serious Kelly and Gil are when they say that the married adults can make their own choices when they are in their own homes, but given that women are expected to follow the spiritual guidance and leadership of their headship, it probably isn't even seen as that.

I think it's a step out of the Bates-borg, not out of the cult.

On 10/10/2016 at 1:21 PM, nolongerIFBx said:

or corduroy shorts. . .  or sleeveless turtlenecks. . .

Sleeveless jackets, or vests, My arms are cold. 

If their girl kids were going to work I could see going with Allison (Allie) and Alexa (Lexie) but given they aren't I guess who cares.

I refuse to name any future kids with an "ie" or the like as a main name (or with a full name they would never use like Eleanor --> Elie) b/c I want them to have a 'serious' name option for 'real live'. A nickname as a kid is fine but like most boys who go from Bobby to Bob or Robert I think girls should be treated the same.

13 minutes ago, jqlgoblue said:

If their girl kids were going to work I could see going with Allison (Allie) and Alexa (Lexie) but given they aren't I guess who cares.

I refuse to name any future kids with an "ie" or the like as a main name (or with a full name they would never use like Eleanor --> Elie) b/c I want them to have a 'serious' name option for 'real live'. A nickname as a kid is fine but like most boys who go from Bobby to Bob or Robert I think girls should be treated the same.

My kids have longish names, but DH & I are pretty against nicknames, My kids name are my kids names don't shorten them. We spelled our daughters name with a G instead of a J so it wouldn't be shortened to Jill, of course all this was for nothing my daughter now goes by Gigi most of the time and everyone mispronounces her full name, it is a cluster f####, and she complains and calls herself the kid without a personalized key chain or license plate.  

The whole name thing is so controversial and everyone has their own preferences. I think it's nice to give the kids some level of choice later in life. An Allison can go by Allison or Allie, whatever she likes. I know people who didn't like their first names and started going by their middle names. So Allie could go by Jane if she ever wanted to, Lexie Mae would have a tougher time. 

I have a long "serious" name and a nickname. I like that I can control what certain people call me. My inner circle call me by my nickname which is so much more convenient but I like to use my full name in more formal settings. My parents have always called me by my full name but never told others what to call me, they fully left it up to me.

I could never find personalized items, but now I'm happy to have a unique name. I almost get a level of appreciation from people for having a name that's very much known, but not common at all. It's also not one of the ugly old school names, it's just long and shorter names have become more popular.

I don't think all names ending in "ie" are nickname names.  Marie, Julie, Celie, Leslie, Natalie, Rosalie, and Emilie come to mind.  

9 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't think all names ending in "ie" are nickname names.  Marie, Julie, Celie, Leslie, Natalie, Rosalie, and Emilie come to mind.  

Those names do all come from cultures where 'ie' names are common, though, and not associated with diminutives like most English 'ie' names. Leslie, in fact, isn't even traditionally a girls' name. Like Lindsey and Ashley, it was a surname that became a boys' given name and then, later, a girls' name.

I think Anglophones tend to think of 'ie' names as nicknames because with English-language names they usually are, but at the same time I think a name like Ellie is perceived differently from Emilie, which is generally recognised as a full name and not a nickname.

I think it's a step out of the Bates-borg, not out of the cult.

No it isn't. The Bates are smart enough to know how to fool people into thinking they are just a conservative Christian family. Fashion choices do not equal baby steps from anything. What matters is changing their beliefs, not their clothing choices.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived