IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

1 hour ago, GnomeCat said:

HAHA! I recently went on a very public feminist rant about the lack of functional pockets in women's clothing. Obviously ladies need pockets to handle all their business too. They would NEVER make pockets that are not functional for men. It's maddening!!!

YES!!!  It drives me up the wall when I'm going some place I don't plan on bringing a purse into and I can only fit half of my phone in my pocket and then I watch my guy friends put everything and the kitchen sink into their pockets with no problem.  SO irritating.  Just because it's socially OK for me to carry a purse doesn't mean I want to have one on me at all times!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm just sitting here like, can I just be happy about having a healthy baby after miscarrying our first? Please? Thank God I have a sense of humor and the ability to call out the bullshit. Thank you pregnancy hormones. :pb_lol:

I agree.

Friends of mine have been disappointed if they've had two of the same gender in a row and then get excited when the third one is the opposite gender.

They should be happy they have no trouble having kids and the world is giving them another wonderful gift. Some people are never happy, but what can you do?

I don't think it's terrible to desire either a boy or a girl though. (Unpopular opinion, probably.) We had two boys (three if you count the baby we lost) so, yes, I was thinking it might be nice to have a girl. But I wasn't desperate about it. In fact, I assumed we would have another boy. And when he was born I was so happy because if he'd been a girl, well, then he wouldn't be HIM!

(But I really wanted my first to be a boy. :kitty-shifty:)

As well as pockets, it irritates me that so many tops are almost sheer these days.  Why should I have to buy a tank top or camisole to wear under everything?  Can't I just buy a top?

Breaking news!!!!! Whitney wears jeans! It was on her Instagram "story" which is like a snapchat but doesn't stay on the page permanently. You have to click on her picture to see. 

Screenshot:

image.png

@NotALoserLikeYou Good find.  There's a picture with Zach where she's showing her shoulders in a tank top.  Figured it was just a matter of time before the pants made a reappearance.  No reason to not be herself when Alyssa wears pants now.  

Last nights snap didn't show her outfit, just the tennis shoes and bare calves, but she said she had gone on a run with Zach. I'm sure she didn't run in a skirt. I noticed the tank top, too. Well, good for her. 

I knew a woman a few years back, in her 30s, who always lamented that she only had two girls and never got a boy child and mentioned once or twice that she and her husband were still praying for a boy (she was an oversharer...). Found out about a year ago one of her kids came out as transgender and wanted to transition to male. Turns out she wasn't so thrilled to have her prayers answered after all.

Good news was her husband was apparently fucking pumped about it once he got over the shock, last I heard he was trying to convince this bookworm 13 year old to try out for the football team and repainting his room and teaching him how to measure your inseam to buy men's pants.

This reminds me of a friend from college who started to transition around age 12-13 from male to female. She was one of three boys and her mom was SO excited to finally have a girl they went on a shopping spree. She had the cutest photos of her and her mom doing the Pretty Woman deal in front of a bank of mirrors.  

11 hours ago, Fascinated said:

I don't think it's terrible to desire either a boy or a girl though. (Unpopular opinion, probably.) We had two boys (three if you count the baby we lost) so, yes, I was thinking it might be nice to have a girl. But I wasn't desperate about it. In fact, I assumed we would have another boy. And when he was born I was so happy because if he'd been a girl, well, then he wouldn't be HIM!

(But I really wanted my first to be a boy. :kitty-shifty:)

I don't think it's terrible to hope or want a specific sex. I'm actually really excited to be having a daughter because I was convinced we were going to have all boys (husband is boy 2 of 3) for the longest time. I had a feeling this one was a girl, but I was still convinced we were going to have all boys. I would have been thrilled either way as long as our babies are healthy, but it was a nice little surprise that this one is a girl.

I just get frustrated when people other than my husband or I offer up their unsolicited opinions on the subject is all. Or insist that it's going to be X, Y, or Z just because she has a vagina instead of a penis. I'm sitting here like, can we please meet her and get to know her before you all start jumping to conclusions about what she will and won't like?

9 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I knew a woman a few years back, in her 30s, who always lamented that she only had two girls and never got a boy child and mentioned once or twice that she and her husband were still praying for a boy (she was an oversharer...). Found out about a year ago one of her kids came out as transgender and wanted to transition to male. Turns out she wasn't so thrilled to have her prayers answered after all.

Good news was her husband was apparently fucking pumped about it once he got over the shock, last I heard he was trying to convince this bookworm 13 year old to try out for the football team and repainting his room and teaching him how to measure your inseam to buy men's pants.

Well, at least he has one parent whose being super supportive. That's much better than it could be. I hope that with time his mother comes around as well. It can take a while, especially if religion is in the picture. But he deserves to have two loving and supportive parents backing him up as he transitions and figures out who he is.

(And that dad really does sound adorable. Hopefully he's ok with it if his son decides not to play football - there are a lot of other great ways they can bond and he can get to know who his son really is.)

14 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

YES!!!  It drives me up the wall when I'm going some place I don't plan on bringing a purse into and I can only fit half of my phone in my pocket and then I watch my guy friends put everything and the kitchen sink into their pockets with no problem.  SO irritating.  Just because it's socially OK for me to carry a purse doesn't mean I want to have one on me at all times!

Well to be the Devils Advocate: On people like me those pockets just add bulk and I end up looking chunky. My hips are wide so if the pockets those lay right, it looks like I'm wearing pants that are too small even if they fit perfectly.

I don't use the pockets on my jeans. I like to keep my stuff in a small bag or a purse. I am too paranoid for pockets, lol. I always think something will magically fall out and I hate the bulky feel right on my leg.

When I shop for jeans, I always stick my phone in the front pockets to make sure they fit. That's a must for me, phones are getting so huge nowadays. 

I rarely use pants pockets. They're useful for a temporary "hands full" situation, but I don't enjoy it otherwise. I like bags. I make them all the time, in lots of different sizes. I have a couple "nice" ones, but I enjoy sewing up the bottom of a skirt or making a reversible bag with charm squares, etc. Also, I had Ipsy for awhile and saved all the bags they sent; they're useful for carrying just phone, lipstick, inhaler and tickets, on symphony night.

Did anyone see the latest episode?  Cherin went shopping for a puppy and the Bates Boys went to a Basketball camp. Pisses me off how Gil had the opportunity in public school to participate in organized sports, an opportunity he's denied his own kids.  How can they not see how they're limiting their 'blessings'.

I saw how Zac posted on their instagram how her birthday just passed and I didn't know she is like 3ish weeks older than me? I guess I assumed she was older but I'm like wow having 2 children under 2 at almost 23!

That also bothered me @justmy2cents as well as Carlin and I'm blanking on the other one talking about possibly going to college which like i thought was weird but then I realized how they are surrounded by only their parents and I guess Michael that have gotten some type of college degree while Zac has gone through some type of training.

I don't think it is terrible to have a preference for whether you have a boy or a girl......as long as that preference isn't so strong that you won't be happy with or won't love the baby if it is the 'wrong/undesired' gender. 

I'm not a parent, but I have a a niece and if my brother and his wife decide to have a second child, I'd hope for it to be a boy. Only real reason being is 'I'm lucky enough to have a lovely niece, so a nephew would be nice to have one of each', but if they were to be pregnant with a second girl, I obviously wouldn't be like, bummed or anything and would be happy to have a second niece. 

And of course, getting a certain sex is no guarantee the kid will be into the stereotypical interests of that gender. My grandfather wanted me to be a boy so he could pass football (soccer) onto me. Well, I ended up loving football anyway 'despite' being a girl.......and ironically, my younger brother who came along a few years later can't stand sport anyway and would struggle to recognise David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo.  Someone I know who wanted a girl to be able to dress her up in all the pretty girls clothes she sees in stores ended up having a daughter who is a tomboy who doesn't want any of the dresses/bows/headbands. Getting the 'right' sex is no guarantee the kid will be interested in stereotypical interests of that gender. 

I watched the latest episode and my kid kept coming in and saying "they're STILL playing basketball?" It was super drawn out and boring.

Michael said she got her Associates Degree in "Medical Health Science" - I don't know how she plans on using that, she said she was able to apply her prior EMT classes toward it. It's usually a stepping stone toward a higher degree or helps you better get a job like at a doctor's office. But we know she won't be doing either of those. 

If I have it correctly, Tori is studying education, Carlin piano, and now Josie (I think it is?) said she was thinking of doing cosmetology, which would actually be a useful skill to have. Clown just opened up their cosmetology program.

next week is the Whitney gives birth episode.

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Well, at least he has one parent whose being super supportive. That's much better than it could be. I hope that with time his mother comes around as well. It can take a while, especially if religion is in the picture. But he deserves to have two loving and supportive parents backing him up as he transitions and figures out who he is.

(And that dad really does sound adorable. Hopefully he's ok with it if his son decides not to play football - there are a lot of other great ways they can bond and he can get to know who his son really is.)

It's my understanding (I'm not close with this woman or anything, she took classes at my university and we had a few together, but she stayed in touch with a few classmates and I hear things through the grapevine) that the son doesn't really want to play football, but he is apparently thrilled that his father throws it out there every so often and keeps trying to get him to play casual games with the neighbors and whatever because it's like, that's what he would do with an AMAB son as well. I went to school down South so it would be much weirder if the son transitioned and no one ever tried to get him to play football.

As far as his mother, I've heard she's coming around. She wasn't overly religious, especially not for the South, she was like moderately religious. But she was definitely a good church going woman, if you will. I think for her it was just a bit of a shock because honestly I'm not sure she had ever been exposed to the idea until her son came out. She was a stay at home mom for a lot of years, that's why she was taking classes later in life, she wanted to finish her degree since her kids were older. Her husband was a workin' man and may have had sensitivity training or colleagues who were trans or otherwise been exposed to the idea, I don't know, just speculation as to why he cottoned on a bit quicker. I mean as far as I know she never tried to throw her son out or anything, it was more like "no but you're my daughter" and apparently there was some "wait are you sure you aren't just gay?"

It's been a few years since I left, so I've no idea what's happened in the last few years. Kid must be nearly ready for college soon. But it was definitely a much better result than it could have been for the kid. And, frankly, I just always chuckle a little when I remember how earnestly she told my friends and I once that she was hoping some day she could have a son.

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I don't think it is terrible to have a preference for whether you have a boy or a girl......as long as that preference isn't so strong that you won't be happy with or won't love the baby if it is the 'wrong/undesired' gender. 

I'm not a parent, but I have a a niece and if my brother and his wife decide to have a second child, I'd hope for it to be a boy. Only real reason being is 'I'm lucky enough to have a lovely niece, so a nephew would be nice to have one of each', but if they were to be pregnant with a second girl, I obviously wouldn't be like, bummed or anything and would be happy to have a second niece. 

And of course, getting a certain sex is no guarantee the kid will be into the stereotypical interests of that gender. My grandfather wanted me to be a boy so he could pass football (soccer) onto me. Well, I ended up loving football anyway 'despite' being a girl.......and ironically, my younger brother who came along a few years later can't stand sport anyway and would struggle to recognise David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo.  Someone I know who wanted a girl to be able to dress her up in all the pretty girls clothes she sees in stores ended up having a daughter who is a tomboy who doesn't want any of the dresses/bows/headbands. Getting the 'right' sex is no guarantee the kid will be interested in stereotypical interests of that gender. 

My brother dreamed of having a son to share his interests in nature, hunting and fishing. He did get a son but his son liked reading, computers and handball instead. He will go fishing occasionally but hates hunting and has very little in common with his father in many other ways too. His older daughter on the other hand is a copy of my brother even down to looks but it took until she was an adult before he realized that she was his hunting buddy and not his son. 

On 23/09/2016 at 1:16 PM, justmy2cents said:

@NotALoserLikeYou Good find.  There's a picture with Zach where she's showing her shoulders in a tank top.  Figured it was just a matter of time before the pants made a reappearance.  No reason to not be herself when Alyssa wears pants now.  

I think she probably does wear them a lot more than we know, but she is respectful towards her in laws when she is with them. If they want her to wear skirts, she probably does it for them.

About gender preference in children- like others have stated, I don't think it is wrong to desire a boy or girl as long as it doesn't effect your relationship with that child when it's born.

Honestly, when I was pregnant I wanted a girl, but I had a feeling he'd be a boy. I never found out the sex while pregnant so when I pushed him out and heard "it's a boy!" I didn't even think about what sex he was or how he wasn't a girl like I wanted. I thought about how beautiful and perfect and healthy he was and I was so unbelievably grateful and in love to have HIM.

They went to a basketball camp? I wonder how the kids felt about playing with kids that probably play competitively at real schools. (If that's the kind of camp they went to, I didn't watch)

Also why on Earth would you want a puppy when you have a baby in diapers and another on the way. So much work. :pb_lol:

15 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Snip

I went to school down South so it would be much weirder if the son transitioned and no one ever tried to get him to play football.  

Lol, the South :lolside:

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived