IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I have a friend who is the same. We've always called her Ducky. It would be stupid now to stop I think, she's always been "Ducky" to many.

Just for fun, do you know how she acquired the name?

On 10/15/2016 at 8:32 AM, mango_fandango said:

Yeah. Names like Lexi(e) Mae are becoming popular here in Britain too, although usually hyphenated eg Lexi-Mae, Lily-Mae, Darcie-Mae (Darcey and its variants are becoming a real thing). 

Cutesy names are problematic. Like I've seen "Bunnie". WTF? It's cute on a baby, but on a grown woman... no. "President Bunnie Williams" just sounds ridiculous IMO. Names like that are just asking for teasing.

As an Army brat, I spent a year in England. I went to a British  school as a day student and they sang "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean". With the accent, I thought for years that the song was "My Bunny Lies Over the Ocean" ( I even sang it when my pet rabbit died!). So maybe President Bunny Williams is actually Bonnie. . . sorry, your post just sparked a memory!

I went to college with a girl named Precious. She was pre-med. I have always wondered what happened to her - I assume she changed her name because I haven't found her on the web.

My own child has a sort of abnormal name - but we have always encouraged her to go by her middle name if she felt more comfortable. (Her dad was in love with the name, so I conceded.)

Late to the name party but when I graduated with my JD, I graduated with a Princess and a Diamond. I can't help but giggle a little at thinking of a bailiff introducing Judge Diamond Scheindlin or "Counsel for the Defense, Princess Smith your honor !!"

15 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Just for fun, do you know how she acquired the name?

She is not even sure, she believes her parents, but even they are not sure!!!

Does anyone have any speculations as to when Lawson and Nathan will court, in Nathan's case for the 2nd time? I have to say I'm surprised these two aren't married yet.

Does anyone have any speculations as to when Lawson and Nathan will court, in Nathan's case for the 2nd time? I have to say I'm surprised these two aren't married yet.

Maybe they're waiting for Trump to win and make it legal?

I've known a Prince and a Messiah. I also had a coworker that dated a L.B. He finally admitted that his real name is Love Baby. :56247958035f1_32(18): I also know a Bambi, she has a sister Ariel. Their other two sibs have non-Disney  names. 

20 hours ago, Arix said:

Given Carlin and Josie are semi famous teenagers, private insta accounts make sense.

Maybe it's because they're at Clown College? IDK. 

For cutesy names, no one can beat Bob Geldof. Peaches Honeyblossom, Fifi Trixibelle, and Little Pixie, plus his ex Paula Yates's child with Michael Hutchence (whom he legally adopted after Paula died), Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily.

I guess you don't have to worry about your name sounding silly when your dad is a rock star. Same goes for Frank Zappa's kids. Though allegedly, the hospital where Dweezil Zappa was born wouldn't allow "Dweezil" on the birth certificate, so officially, Dweezil's name was Ian at birth. When Ian/Dweezil found out and became very indignant at five years old that his legal name was not Dweezil, his parents hired an attorney to legally change it.

44 minutes ago, JMO said:

I've known a Prince and a Messiah. I also had a coworker that dated a L.B. He finally admitted that his real name is Love Baby. :56247958035f1_32(18): I also know a Bambi, she has a sister Ariel. Their other two sibs have non-Disney  names. 

I've always wondered if any parent has thought to name a child another head of state/government besides Queenie/Princess/Prince. Somewhere, there's got to be a mother yelling for little Prime Minister or Supreme Dictator for Life to get off those monkey bars right now.

For cutesy names, no one can beat Bob Geldof. Peaches Honeyblossom, Fifi Trixibelle, and Little Pixie, plus his ex Paula Yates's child with Michael Hutchence (whom he legally adopted after Paula died), Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily.

To that I raise you Jamie Oliver and his wife Jools' children's names:
Daisy Boo Pamela, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Poppy Honey Rosie, Buddy Bear Maurice, River Rocket.

10 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Cackling because that's where my mind went too!

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've always wondered if any parent has thought to name a child another head of state/government besides Queenie/Princess/Prince. Somewhere, there's got to be a mother yelling for little Prime Minister or Supreme Dictator for Life to get off those monkey bars right now.

Here (in Australia) I know there are some restrictions on what you can name your child.  Official Titles and Ranks (like Prince and Prime Minister) arent allowed, as well as anything that could be offensive/humiliating is also banned. Mind you I don't know how strict they are on these things, I went to school with a girl named Chardonnay. Her bother also had a wine themed name. 

I remember a case a few years ago in New Zealand where a girl went into foster care, and her name Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. I think she was allowed to legally change her name when this occurred.

48 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Here (in Australia) I know there are some restrictions on what you can name your child.  Official Titles and Ranks (like Prince and Prime Minister) arent allowed, as well as anything that could be offensive/humiliating is also banned. Mind you I don't know how strict they are on these things, I went to school with a girl named Chardonnay. Her bother also had a wine themed name. 

I remember a case a few years ago in New Zealand where a girl went into foster care, and her name Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. I think she was allowed to legally change her name when this occurred.

I'm curious about how strict they are only because a lot of names mean royal ranks/titles, just in a foreign language. Reginald/Regina, Rania, Malik/Malika, Raj, Sarah, Kaur (a common middle or last name for Sikh women that means lioness or princess), Amir/Amira, Basil, Brendan, Roy, Leroy, Sultana, and Zoltan all mean prince/king/queen/ruler.

38 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm curious about how strict they are only because a lot of names mean royal ranks/titles, just in a foreign language. Reginald/Regina, Rania, Malik/Malika, Raj, Sarah, Kaur (a common middle or last name for Sikh women that means lioness or princess), Amir/Amira, Basil, Brendan, Roy, Leroy, Sultana, and Zoltan all mean prince/king/queen/ruler.

Within Australia? Only ones that are regarded as titles in Australia and in English, I believe. I think they'd probably also out a stop to anything like President if somebody tried though, because it's still a title and in English.

I've met plenty of people with the names you mentioned, but I had no idea most had royal association to them. I would guess that because they aren't titles of the United Kingdom royals theyre accepted. Otherwise I know a lot of Sarah's and Brendan's, and even more people with the surname Kaur who prove the law wrong! Very interesting to know though!

Edit: Just to add, I went back and checked, it's the "recognised title" in Australia that is not allowed. Hence Sarah, Brendan and Kaur may have meaning in another language, but aren't a title here. 

This name thing has me going a bit because we are in the process of changing our last name as a family. I won't go into all the details, but it is a very expensive and time-consuming process. I hate to think of a new adult having to go through this just because their parents gave them a crappy name. I can easily see Spurgeon doing it, but hopefully the Bates grandkids can do as someone up thread mentioned and use full name versions of their cutesy names if necessary. 

The hospital where I work automatically names the babies Mi and Fi depending on gender.  Occasionally a midwife gets cheeky and we get Male or Female.  Surname is always mother's at birth.

In the UK you have to go register the babies your self at an office, which is where you name them.  You take the birth announcement the hospital gives you and then go do names.

It means that you don't get the legal name until a few weeks later when you're parents register you.  You exist.  You have an NHS number which will follow you through life, but the name bit is flexible until registration.

The registry office doesn't care and you can name your kid whatever you want.  Even if its very silly.

20 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

That's not what I meant but this is really funny LOL  :my_biggrin:

2 hours ago, imokit said:

The hospital where I work automatically names the babies Mi and Fi depending on gender.  Occasionally a midwife gets cheeky and we get Male or Female.  Surname is always mother's at birth.

In the UK you have to go register the babies your self at an office, which is where you name them.  You take the birth announcement the hospital gives you and then go do names.

It means that you don't get the legal name until a few weeks later when you're parents register you.  You exist.  You have an NHS number which will follow you through life, but the name bit is flexible until registration.

The registry office doesn't care and you can name your kid whatever you want.  Even if its very silly.

In Sweden you also go without a name until the parents send in the paperwork. My daughter was Flickan (The girl) H (my lastname) and my son the same way was "the boy" but with  my husband's lastname because the second child gets the same name as the first. 

17 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

To that I raise you Jamie Oliver and his wife Jools' children's names:
Daisy Boo Pamela, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Poppy Honey Rosie, Buddy Bear Maurice, River Rocket.

In all fairness, Daisy, Poppy, Buddy, and River are relatively normal (and becoming popular), at least where I live. 

1 hour ago, RhythmicSkater said:

In all fairness, Daisy, Poppy, Buddy, and River are relatively normal (and becoming popular), at least where I live. 

I know a Dog called Buddy...

5 hours ago, elliha said:

In Sweden you also go without a name until the parents send in the paperwork. My daughter was Flickan (The girl) H (my lastname) and my son the same way was "the boy" but with  my husband's lastname because the second child gets the same name as the first. 

I think that's the case here (the States) too to be honest. A lot of parents know their name choice ahead of time or have a few options - but if not I'm pretty sure they refer to the baby as "Baby Boy/Girl <Last Name>" until a choice is made abd the birth certificate is filled out. Maybe a parent who has experience with this can confirm if that's the case?

It's a little different because the hospital registrar sends in the birth certificate from the hospital in the US.  You can have the birth recorded without ever visiting or contacting a government office.  If you don't name the baby before leaving the hospital then you have to go to the city or county office to give them the name and fill out more paperwork.  The child would be unofficially known as Baby boy Brown or whatever on the hospital bracelet and initial records at first, but they update the hospital records as soon as they can with the actual name. 

My kids left the delivery room with their names. All their hospital paperwork has their names on it, not "baby girl" or "baby boy". I had names picked out and although my daughter's name got changed once I saw her, it was still before she left the delivery room. I had chosen Andrea Nicole for a girl, but when I saw her, it just didn't fit her...so Amanda M. she became. With the boys, their names are traditional and biblical. 

We had a name picked out before we even knew gender, but our little guy was still Baby Boy InCharge until we filled out some paperwork. They actually brought us the forms in our hospital room about 3-4 hours after I had my c-section. After we signed everything we were given a form to mail in to the local registrar's office and the nurses put his name on a little card in his bassinet. I still have a few things in his baby stuff that say Baby Boy InCharge including his first little footprints :) 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived