IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

On 10/2/2016 at 4:09 PM, Casserole said:

Allie Jane, Kaci Lynn, Lexie Mae... all sound like adorable little names for 5 year old girls. Except their parents failed to think about them ever growing up beyond 5. Good thing Gothard sets them up to be emotionally and intellectually stunted around that age forever, anyway. :my_rolleyes:

Waaay behind, but this reminds me of my high school debate teacher, who said when she chose her daughter's name, back in the early 80s (when fundies were mainly a few weirdo hippy types and the Amish,) "I tried to choose a name that would sound good when she was announced, "Chief Justice Carrie Henry."

I thought she chose well, and when I had my own kids, I thought a lot about what the names mean, how they'd sound if someone shortened them, tc.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue I have with the names Allie and Lexie is that they're both derivative of the same name - Alexandra. Maybe if she has a boy she'll name him Xander, just to complete the circle?

2 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

The only issue I have with the names Allie and Lexie is that they're both derivative of the same name - Alexandra. Maybe if she has a boy she'll name him Xander, just to complete the circle?

Allie might be Alice or Allison. I mean, maybe you're right, but I was just thinking.

As to sleeveless turtlenecks. I loathe sleeves. I will wear drape tops or high necks equally happily if there are no sleeves. In the winter, I will put a loose cardigan over them for the sake of cold, but I couldn't do it if my arms had to be punished with two close layers. Coats make me so sad, even though I've never lived where I don't need them.

8 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

I figured Allie was short for Alyssa and Jane comes from mama Jane.  

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Allie is her official first name. I think they were inspired to name her after Alyssa, but not determined today give her the same exact name. You're right about Jane.

1 minute ago, season of life said:

Allie is her official first name. I think they were inspired to name her after Alyssa, but not determined today give her the same exact name. You're right about Jane.

Sorry I should've been more clear. Not named after Alyssa but inspired by Alyssa's name. That's a better way to put it. 

It seems that Kelly and Gil give some of their girls "nickname" type of names. Callie, Katie, Ellie, and Josie. So I guess it's a Bates naming trend.

On 10/9/2016 at 7:27 AM, alba said:
8 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

If their girl kids were going to work I could see going with Allison (Allie) and Alexa (Lexie) but given they aren't I guess who cares.

I refuse to name any future kids with an "ie" or the like as a main name (or with a full name they would never use like Eleanor --> Elie) b/c I want them to have a 'serious' name option for 'real live'. A nickname as a kid is fine but like most boys who go from Bobby to Bob or Robert I think girls should be treated the same.

I seem to be disagreeing again and I don't really mean to. I have a long name and I go by a shortened nickname with a "Y", fits me fine. I am in the senior discount range and I generally do not answer to my long name. It has served me well all the way up to retiring from NASA. Same with my yummy husband, he has a "Y" name and also wears it well. He came from an upper management position in communications, also retired now. Names have never hindered our success but performance could have. Be fair, it is the person, not the name, unless of course it is Joe Bob Jumpback.

Yes, it is. Someone mentioned it somewhere. But Allie is also a very common nickname for Alexandra and so is Lexie... I only made this correlation when Lexie Mae was mentioned as a potential name.

Other than that, they're cute names and no different to many names that are used by non-fundies.

I mean, she's not calling her kids Heistheway or Spurgeon, so....

I like when there is a choice of longer name and nickname. So if the person feels Ellie doesn't fit them they could always go by their full name. I probably say this because I went by a shortened nickname type name when I was a kid and my full name as an adult. I liked having the choice. My younger son has many choices with his name and I really like it.

I gotta say that I hate toeless boots (what's the point?), but I love sleeveless turtlenecks, corduroy shorts and vests.   If you're of a certain age and maybe don't have the youngest looking neck, then a sleeveless turtleneck hides the wrinkles without making you hot.  I don't have a wrinkly neck -yet- but I still like sleeveless turtles.  Cord shorts have to be cut the right way and vests keep you warm. 

That damn bow reminds me that I need to start knitting my new granddaughter's hat.  The hat is pink and white stripes.  I found a pattern on Knitpicks for knitted hats where you measure the circumference of the head to know how many stitches to cast on.  The hat pattern I already had only goes up to toddler 3.

3 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

You know, for some reason whenever I hear Allie my first thought is that it's short for Allison. Lexie and Alex have always been more natural nicknames for Alexandra to me than Allie. No clue why. It would be funny if they named a boy Xander or if the next girl was named Sandy. Excuse me, Sandi.

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I like when there is a choice of longer name and nickname. So if the person feels Ellie doesn't fit them they could always go by their full name. I probably say this because I went by a shortened nickname type name when I was a kid and my full name as an adult. I liked having the choice. My younger son has many choices with his name and I really like it.

I feel the same. I am an Isabel who HATES being called Iz/zy, and I am so thankful my parents gave me the choice rather than just naming me Izzy. I hate when people get offended I don't want to be called Iz/zy. It's MY name, not yours! My brother is named Nicolás and while he isn't in a professional field and generally does go back Nic/ky, at least my parents also gave him the choice.

But my niece has a name like Allie/Lexie and I dislike that when she's older, she doesn't have the 'fall back' of an older sounding name. Her name is super cute.....on a 2 year old girl. But it's not exactly a name you'd associate with a 25 year old woman. 

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You know, I think that might be why I prefer full names with nicknames available, too (for my hypothetical, never-gonna-happen kids, I'd favour names that could be shortened into nicknames versus traditional names without nicknames, like Janet). I used a nickname form of my name until I was 8 or 9, then started going by my full name. I still use the nickname within my family, though. My parents made a real effort to call me by my full name when I first announced that I was going to be Alba, not Allie, until I told them I didn't mind being Allie around family, I just felt childish being called that at school. Now that I'm an adult, the nickname form of my name does sound incredibly childish to me (to be clear, it's not actually Allie) and I really can't imagine putting that name on my CV or introducing myself to people like that, but I like that it's what my family call me. Although I'm tempted to go back to it when I move home, because no one in Canada can pronounce my full name XD

My sisters, on the other hand, never really made much of an effort to call me by my full name (well, my older sister would, but only when she was trying to wheedle something from me). My youngest sister was only a toddler when I made the switch, and I don't think I ever heard her use my full name. It was always my nickname.

My son has a "shortened" name as his full name. Mostly because I don't like the long version and would never call him that.

Allie and Lexie both remind me of "Alyssa." Like she's just picking parts of her own name to twist into naming her children. 

On 10/13/2016 at 11:52 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Sleeveless jackets, or vests, My arms are cold. 

I work in Fashion Retail right now and vests and sleeveless sweaters and jackets are very 'in' right now. I hate it. It's completely pointless and I never know what to recomend with them.

On 10/13/2016 at 2:01 PM, alba said:

Those names do all come from cultures where 'ie' names are common, though, and not associated with diminutives like most English 'ie' names. Leslie, in fact, isn't even traditionally a girls' name. Like Lindsey and Ashley, it was a surname that became a boys' given name and then, later, a girls' name.

I think Anglophones tend to think of 'ie' names as nicknames because with English-language names they usually are, but at the same time I think a name like Ellie is perceived differently from Emilie, which is generally recognised as a full name and not a nickname.

Which is a longer way of saying what I said. 

I actually like the vest/sleeveless cardigan look, I find it very easy to style and it's so versatible. That being said, I ALWAYS have cold arms. I would need the exact opposite of a vest, ideally. Basically just knitted arms or something. LOL

My name is Sophie and I was obviously born before the 2010 Sophie trend was a thing. My mom liked Sophie and hated Sophia. I am SUUUPER mad that there are so many little girls running around with my name. I was the only one I knew who was Sophie and not Sophia. When someone called Sophie, they were calling for ME dammit!

But anyway. It has given me some grief in my life. 1. No personalized shit at all. 2. People ask me for my full name, I give them the name Sophie and my middle and last name, then they look at me like I'm stupid and clarify, "I mean the name on your birth certificate. Your FULL name." Once, the driver's ed teacher even had the gall, after I clarified to say, "And you're sure?" Yes, nitwit, I'm pretty sure I know what my name is.

I get called Sophia a lot, obviously, but it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Also, I have had a lot of people in my life say that was their dog's name, or their grandma's name, or even a few times-- their grandma's dog's name. I guess my pediatrician was horrified that my mom named me Sophie and said that I would have a hard life because I had a dog name. My mom was obviously confused because it's not like my name was Snowball or Fluffy.

edited to add: I don't think it has caused me not to be taken seriously though, since Sophie for most of my life has been considered an older woman's name. 

3 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

My name is Sophie and I was obviously born before the 2010 Sophie trend was a thing. My mom liked Sophie and hated Sophia. I am SUUUPER mad that there are so many little girls running around with my name. I was the only one I knew who was Sophie and not Sophia. When someone called Sophie, they were calling for ME dammit!

But anyway. It has given me some grief in my life. 1. No personalized shit at all. 2. People ask me for my full name, I give them the name Sophie and my middle and last name, then they look at me like I'm stupid and clarify, "I mean the name on your birth certificate. Your FULL name." Once, the driver's ed teacher even had the gall, after I clarified to say, "And you're sure?" Yes, nitwit, I'm pretty sure I know what my name is.

I get called Sophia a lot, obviously, but it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Also, I have had a lot of people in my life say that was their dog's name, or their grandma's name, or even a few times-- their grandma's dog's name. I guess my pediatrician was horrified that my mom named me Sophie and said that I would have a hard life because I had a dog name. My mom was obviously confused because it's not like my name was Snowball or Fluffy.

edited to add: I don't think it has caused me not to be taken seriously though, since Sophie for most of my life has been considered an older woman's name. 

I also have a short and somewhat "cutesy" first name and I'm often asked if it's a nickname.  I didn't like it growing up because no one had my name except dogs and cats, but now I love it, and can appreciate it for being kinda unique. It seems so straightforward, and yet people fairly often mispronounce it and misspell it. 

How strange that people act so weird about the name Sophie; it is widely used.  I know a Sophie and a Sophi, both their full first name. 

Crazy thing about names....I have a tween named Allie Jane. Glad she was born several years before so people wouldn't think I was a fundie follower. Now if Alyssa names her second daughter the same as me....

32 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Crazy thing about names....I have a tween named Allie Jane. Glad she was born several years before so people wouldn't think I was a fundie follower. Now if Alyssa names her second daughter the same as me....

Your second daughter's not called Lexie Mae, is she? :P

IDK I like both Allie Jane and Lexi Mae, maybe because I am from the South and the cutesy names are very common. If it were up to me I would probably go with Allison and Alexandra but call them Allie and Lexi. This way you get the fun toddler stage and a cute toddler name to match, but if she wants to have "grown up name" when she is older, she still has her full name as an option. 

My daughter's name is Brielle Olivia, but for now at 2, Bree Livy is just so cute to say so that's what we usually call her haha! It probably won't sound too cute at 13 :) 

32 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

IDK I like both Allie Jane and Lexi Mae, maybe because I am from the South and the cutesy names are very common. If it were up to me I would probably go with Allison and Alexandra but call them Allie and Lexi. This way you get the fun toddler stage and a cute toddler name to match, but if she wants to have "grown up name" when she is older, she still has her full name as an option. 

My daughter's name is Brielle Olivia, but for now at 2, Bree Livy is just so cute to say so that's what we usually call her haha! It probably won't sound too cute at 13 :) 

Yeah. Names like Lexi(e) Mae are becoming popular here in Britain too, although usually hyphenated eg Lexi-Mae, Lily-Mae, Darcie-Mae (Darcey and its variants are becoming a real thing). 

Cutesy names are problematic. Like I've seen "Bunnie". WTF? It's cute on a baby, but on a grown woman... no. "President Bunnie Williams" just sounds ridiculous IMO. Names like that are just asking for teasing.

After reading the name discussion, how would you feel, if someone was named what is considered a nickname, if they chose the long form of their name to use as a professional (nick)name? My brother's name is Larry (on his birth certificate), but my aunt frequently called him Lawrence. This would work unless you were a Bunny, Buffy, Muffy, Bambi, or something like that. I don't think anyone would stop that person.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived