IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

I actually knew a Bambi.  She changed her name legally as soon as she could so that is always an option if someone really hates their name.  

@allthegoodnamesrgone, I think I know your daughter's name.  You can get her a personalized key ring and licence plate on CafePress or EBay for Christmas if you want. ;) It was a very common name in the UK among my cohort - usually we had two or three in every classroom.  The popularity was blamed on a BBC documentary in 1954 called "Waiting for <name>."  Apparently a lot of expectant parents saw the documentary and it brought the name back into fashion.  I like it,  but it isn't very common in the US and is frequently mispronounced or misspelled here.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:19 PM, backyard sylph said:

back in the early 80s (when fundies were mainly a few weirdo hippy types and the Amish,)

No, sorry.  Fundie-ism, as we tend to define it here, was really taking off in the 1980s.  You may not remember, but back in the early 80s before the first IBLP sex scandal,  Bill Gothard was probably at the height of his influence preaching to thousands at conferences across the US.

Dominionism and Christian Reconstructionism were making inroads into mainstream Evangelical denominations, and filth like Rousas Rushdoony with his Chalcedon Foundation were consolidating their positions.  Rushdoony was endorsed by "respectable" Fundigelicals like  Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell in the 80s.  I think Bill Graham kept his nose clean though.

The big difference today is that these extreme Fundamentalists have consolidated their base and managed to worm their way into the political arena in the USA.  See the disaster that is the election of 2016.  I think they have been far more influential than their numbers warrant.

While I am taking a trip down memory lane, in the 60s, 70s and well into the 80s those weirdo hippy types were also preyed upon by large and influential non-Christian cults.  Most of those cults are in decline or gone now but surely some other people remember Reverend Sun Myung Moon, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones,  and Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, among others?  

Sorry to be such a downer.  Back to your happy name discussion now. :)

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I actually knew a Bambi.  She changed her name legally as soon as she could so that is always an option if someone really hates their name.  

@allthegoodnamesrgone, I think I know your daughter's name.  You can get her a personalized key ring and licence plate on CafePress or EBay for Christmas if you want. ;) It was a very common name in the UK among my cohort - usually we had two or three in every classroom.  The popularity was blamed on a BBC documentary in 1954 called "Waiting for <name>."  Apparently a lot of expectant parents saw the documentary and it brought the name back into fashion.  I like it,  but it isn't very common in the US and is frequently mispronounced or misspelled here.

No, sorry.  Fundie-ism, as we tend to define it here, was really taking off in the 1980s.  You may not remember, but back in the early 80s before the first IBLP sex scandal,  Bill Gothard was probably at the height of his influence preaching to thousands at conferences across the US.

Dominionism and Christian Reconstructionism were making inroads into mainstream Evangelical denominations, and filth like Rousas Rushdoony with his Chalcedon Foundation were consolidating their positions.  Rushdoony was endorsed by "respectable" Fundigelicals like  Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell in the 80s.  I think Bill Graham kept his nose clean though.

The big difference today is that these extreme Fundamentalists have consolidated their base and managed to worm their way into the political arena in the USA.  See the disaster that is the election of 2016.  I think they have been far more influential than their numbers warrant.

While I am taking a trip down memory lane, in the 60s, 70s and well into the 80s those weirdo hippy types were also preyed upon by large and influential non-Christian cults.  Most of those cults are in decline or gone now but surely some other people remember Reverend Sun Myung Moon, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones,  and Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, among others?  

Sorry to be such a downer.  Back to your happy name discussion now. :)

I've ordered a few things for her with her name on them when she was younger. She's a teen now, she just likes to complain. 

As for the vocal Andean of the "moral majority" or "religious right" as the bumper stickers say they are neither. They are just the loudest, and as we know the biggest pain in the ass gets all the attention. 

On 10/13/2016 at 11:21 AM, QuiverDance said:

I don't think all names ending in "ie" are nickname names.  Marie, Julie, Celie, Leslie, Natalie, Rosalie, and Emilie come to mind.  

You are correct. I over simplified / wasn't clear enough as I would choose a Julie, Natalie or Naomi but not an Allie, Lexi, Elie, Allie or Chrissy. I do wonder about currently popular names like Elodie (which is a full name which and I have always liked) b/c they don't have the same cultural reference points. 

I suppose it is because of what another poster mentioned where if my daughter were in a position of power I'd want her to be able to say "Hi, I am Julie/Leah CEO of XYZ" and I think that would be taken more seriously than "Hi, I'm Lexi/McKenzie I'm the CEO!". Same is true for a resume. 

As an aside, I have a cousin with the same initials as me and her mom thought about what her name / initials would look like on letterhead. My parents just went straight serious with a feminine first name with no diminutives (people have since gotten creative with it ... I sadly share a name, though spelled slightly different, with a Duggar girl) and my mom's maiden name as the middle. I didn't like my name as a kid but now I appreciate the first name is not something everyone else has but similar to those in my age range and 'serious' but feminine.

On 10/14/2016 at 9:42 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

My son has a "shortened" name as his full name. Mostly because I don't like the long version and would never call him that.

Allie and Lexie both remind me of "Alyssa." Like she's just picking parts of her own name to twist into naming her children. 

If they have another daughter and choose a name beginning with "Y", then I think we'll know the theme.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:18 AM, VineHeart137 said:

I've always thought Allie sounded too informal to be a given first name, and I feel the same about Lexie. They're both nicknames to me. If that is baby #2's real name, Alyssa and/or John sure have a real cutesy naming style.

Allie Jane and Lexie Mae sound like what happens when you let a teenager name children. I know Alyssa is not a teen anymore (right?) but mentally/emotionally she seems close.

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Yeah. Names like Lexi(e) Mae are becoming popular here in Britain too, although usually hyphenated eg Lexi-Mae, Lily-Mae, Darcie-Mae (Darcey and its variants are becoming a real thing). 

Cutesy names are problematic. Like I've seen "Bunnie". WTF? It's cute on a baby, but on a grown woman... no. "President Bunnie Williams" just sounds ridiculous IMO. Names like that are just asking for teasing.

One of my clients is actually named Sweetie. She is a stockbroker at a major corporation, After I got to know her, I asked if she had trouble being taken seriously, she said it took a while, but her colleagues eventually accepted her.

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

One of my clients is actually named Sweetie. She is a stockbroker at a major corporation, After I got to know her, I asked if she had trouble being taken seriously, she said it took a while, but her colleagues eventually accepted her.

She must be a strong woman, or maybe just less sensitive than I am. If my name was Sweetie I'd have changed it as an 18th birthday present to myself. I wouldn't want everyone always referring to me as a common term of endearment. And a lot of times, Sweetie in particular is used condescendingly. It would drive me batty. But it sounds like she was able to overcome it and become very successful. I give her props.

I went to college with a girl named Precious. She was pre-med. I have always wondered what happened to her - I assume she changed her name because I haven't found her on the web.

My own child has a sort of abnormal name - but we have always encouraged her to go by her middle name if she felt more comfortable. (Her dad was in love with the name, so I conceded.)

I have a rather unusual name in my generation and probably in others. I've always gone by Carm for the most part but all of my teachers and professors and bosses have called me by my full name. I think the option to have the very adult sounding name is good.If anything you can be one person at work and the cutesy, fun, nicknamed person at home. 

@mango_fandango, there might not be a Bunny Williams who is President, but Bunny Williams is a renowned interior designer.  I assume Bunny was not her given name though and was just a pet name from childhood that stuck.

Can someone in the area tell me if the whole "mudding" thing - to the point of what looked like risking his life (Nathan) - is truly a huge past time in the south? Or is it more of a hobby or am I over-blowing the seriousness of Nathan's scene? I'm curious because some of the episodes I've been able to watch make them seem at least as bad, if not worse, in terms of danger than the Duggars. Honestly, Gil backswinging and jumping off the swing in Florida, Trace's car wreck before Whitney's baby shower, Nathan toppling the RV, the popped bubble suits after Carson's party, and the list goes on and on. I'm shocked there hasn't been a major injury/operation/death with the way they behave. Kelly's right to be nervous, if Gil doesn't start listening to his body, something stupid and "fun because it scares Kelly" will be the reason nineteen kids don't have a dad.

1 hour ago, colors_outside15 said:

Can someone in the area tell me if the whole "mudding" thing - to the point of what looked like risking his life (Nathan) - is truly a huge past time in the south? Or is it more of a hobby or am I over-blowing the seriousness of Nathan's scene? I'm curious because some of the episodes I've been able to watch make them seem at least as bad, if not worse, in terms of danger than the Duggars. Honestly, Gil backswinging and jumping off the swing in Florida, Trace's car wreck before Whitney's baby shower, Nathan toppling the RV, the popped bubble suits after Carson's party, and the list goes on and on. I'm shocked there hasn't been a major injury/operation/death with the way they behave. Kelly's right to be nervous, if Gil doesn't start listening to his body, something stupid and "fun because it scares Kelly" will be the reason nineteen kids don't have a dad.

Mud-riding is a big thing. It is also pretty fun. We used to do it in Louisiana, too. 

On 10/15/2016 at 5:06 AM, alba said:

Sorry! I misunderstood your previous post.

No I actually meant to point out that French feminine forms of Latin names often end in "ie."  I probably should've taken the time to be clearer.

7 hours ago, colors_outside15 said:

We do it a lot in the Midwest as well. It's pretty common.

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@mango_fandango, there might not be a Bunny Williams who is President, but Bunny Williams is a renowned interior designer.  I assume Bunny was not her given name though and was just a pet name from childhood that stuck.

One of my college roommates was named Bunny. She disliked it greatly. She went by her middle name. 

2 hours ago, divadivine said:

One of my college roommates was named Bunny. She disliked it greatly. She went by her middle name. 

I have a family member, a grandma by now, who has gone by Ducky (childhood nickname that stuck) her whole life even though her first name is beautiful and classy.  She owns a local business and is well known in the community. I couldn't imagine her as her real name. 

I have a family member, a grandma by now, who has gone by Ducky (childhood nickname that stuck) her whole life even though her first name is beautiful and classy.  She owns a local business and is well known in the community. I couldn't imagine her as her real name. 

I know a model named Duckie. She's Sudanese.

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

My paternal Grandma is the same. She has a beautiful first name, but has always gone by the nickname Bunnie. Even my dad and his brother call her that (they were raised by their dad and his parents after the divorce - long story, but none of us have a real relationship with her). No clue where she got it from, but it stuck for some reason. 

When our boys were born I knew a lot of kids who were called by their full names, as in, Richard, rather than Rick, Dick etc. So we were confident that we could name them as we liked without worrying about people shortening them.  Nope. The only people on the planet who call them by their full names are their immediate family. What's weird is that they shorten their own names but still call their brothers by their full names!  Anyway, we sound like idiots now but the long forms are SO much nicer. Oh, well.

Sorry if there are mistakes. I'm trying to rid my iPad of flying insects and keep tapping incorrect things. 

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Ooh interesting. I suppose you can "get away with" certain names more in some industries than others, like a creative one rather than a business/law/whatever similar type one.

A girl I knew at school had a mum who was called Bambi. Not sure what she did for a living though.

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Figg said:

Has it been noted that Carlin has an IG? 

IMG_0870.PNG

It's been mentioned before. Her account is private though and there's never been an explanation for why she has one and her other unmarried siblings (other than Lawson) don't.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My paternal Grandma is the same. She has a beautiful first name, but has always gone by the nickname Bunnie. Even my dad and his brother call her that (they were raised by their dad and his parents after the divorce - long story, but none of us have a real relationship with her). No clue where she got it from, but it stuck for some reason. 

I have a friend who is the same. We've always called her Ducky. It would be stupid now to stop I think, she's always been "Ducky" to many.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

It's been mentioned before. Her account is private though and there's never been an explanation for why she has one and her other unmarried siblings (other than Lawson) don't.

Josie has a private account too. I saw that on her siblings' IGs

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived