IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

14 hours ago, PianoPounder said:

I've only been to one coed shower, but there were several single guys there.

I was reading the thread backwards and thought this was coed showering like the gratuitous coed shower scene in Starship Troopers.  I was really thrown by @VelociRapture's coed shower with her brother and brother-in-law.  Invitation-only coed showering.  :56247958035f1_32(18): 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be glad when there's a new thread. I'm tired of having this song stuck in my head day after day.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I'll be glad when there's a new thread. I'm tired of having this song stuck in my head day after day.

I pulled it up on youtube thinking if I listened to it through I'd kill the earworm.  Big mistake.

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

HA!

This is the thread that neeeee-ver ends!

It just goes on and on my freeeeeeeinds!

(Just trying to help you out. :)  Cuz I'm helpful.)

Back to Mormons, but one of my favorite SNL sketches was from 2012 when Mitt Romney lost the election and was on his porch getting milk drunk. So Good.

Resident FJ Mormon here! The Word of wisdom forbids "hot drinks" like coffee and tea. Soda and energy drinks and the like are not included because they weren't around when good ol' Joe Smith was making this stuff up... Whoops, meant receiving divine revelation. Anyways, whether or not a church member choses to drink non-coffee caffeinated beverages is a completely personal choice. Some are more strict than others, but I know many a LDS mom with a Dr. Pepper addiction. 

2 hours ago, felinefundie said:

Resident FJ Mormon here! The Word of wisdom forbids "hot drinks" like coffee and tea. Soda and energy drinks and the like are not included because they weren't around when good ol' Joe Smith was making this stuff up... Whoops, meant receiving divine revelation. Anyways, whether or not a church member choses to drink non-coffee caffeinated beverages is a completely personal choice. Some are more strict than others, but I know many a LDS mom with a Dr. Pepper addiction. 

You sound like my kind of Mormon. A disillusioned one, I assume?

22 minutes ago, freethemall said:

You sound like my kind of Mormon. A disillusioned one, I assume?

Yep! I'm pretty inactive at the moment. Enjoying all the sinful coffee and tea I can drink! :pb_mrgreen:

8 hours ago, Casserole said:

I would interpret that letter of the law that God wanted me to have cold brew. Such a nice guy, that God. 

I got a lot of flack from my Mormon ex-husband when I interpreted that to mean iced tea was allowed as it was cold. Now, I'd probably say the same thing about cold brew coffee if I hadn't resigned after filing for divorce from my ex. One of the many reasons I didn't last long in the LDS church is that I think Joseph Smith made up the entire word of wisdom as a way to control his followers.

@LadyCrow1313,  rabies is restricted to mammals which, of course, includes humans.  Rodents are not known to be a vector of transmission although theoretically they could be infected.  (Thank FSM that they are not!)   Apparently birds can  be infected with rabies, but unlike mammals, they  are usually asymptomatic ( and recover if they do show symptoms) and it is not fatal to them as it is to mammals.  Bats are the most common vector of transmission of rabies to humans so if you get bit by a bat, don't fuck around.  Seek emergency treatment ASAP after washing the bite for 5 minutes with Betadine (povidone-iodine).

Rabies

19 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I like a mug of coffee after I've been awake a couple hours. I do not like the idea of "needing" caffeine, though.

I didn't use to like the idea, went off coffee and Diet Coke several times. But then I had my kids and now I just exhaustedly laugh at the idea of not needing caffeine. Someday! Maybe someday! Until then, it's better than meth right? lol

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I forgot what song this thread is lampooning, thankfully. 

Only because you can't cut my brake lines from where you are (I hope)

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but was wondering if a wedding date has been set, or any other revealing news come about?

If no date announcement yet, how long did we have to wait between engagement announcement with Jill & Jessa, to when they announced their dates? They both only had around 3 months from proposal to aisle, right?

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

I didn't use to like the idea, went off coffee and Diet Coke several times. But then I had my kids and now I just exhaustedly laugh at the idea of not needing caffeine. Someday! Maybe someday! Until then, it's better than meth right? lol

Good lord, if you have two at once, go right on. I had six, but one at a time. Two sets were 19 months apart, though. I have never had a soda habit, and didn't drink morning coffee then, just sometimes with dessert. So...Oh! (I'm 51, memory is [hopefully] temporarily shot,) IT'S BECAUSE I don't actually react well to caffeine (or anything people used to call "the good drugs," tmi?) so I just couldn't have relied on it, anyway. But now I enjoy the mid-morning mug, sometime between 8 and 10. It doesn't do the thing people like about it, though. It's just enjoyable to sit down with.

What I think, and not to sound fangirly, because if I was, it'd be for one of the Bateseses, is that these people get to do this one gottdang thing that's pretty normal and sort of "cool," by going to coffee houses and what-have-you, and I say, sail on, Caffeine-Addicted Fundies! Let's have coffee granita at the wedding! It's her thing and also kinda Sicilian at the same time!

On 7/31/2016 at 4:19 PM, twinmama said:

I married into a big midwestern family. The only recipes passed down are cream of crap soup casseroles. Ugh. Though we did all get great grandma's church cookbook for Christmas one year. It is HYSTERICAL. "Vegetarian chili" first ingredient, a pound of ground beef. Salads with Mountain Dew in them. Salads with more sour cream or mayo than vegetables. All around revolting hilarious stuff.

That reminds me of a recipe that the wife of my Mom Mom's cousin used to make, it consisted on lime jello and cottage cheese.  We all made gracious excuses to avoid eating it.  

On 8/3/2016 at 9:05 PM, nst said:

November 2015 they were "getting to know each other" and he was Ben's boytoy

so I am on board - he could have hogged the camera more

Wrong. Jeremy didn't ask KJB's permission to "get to know" Jinger until Spurge was a month old. They started courting sometime in the spring. We don't know exactly when, but it was certainly long before they announced it a month ago. 

On 7/31/2016 at 4:19 PM, twinmama said:

I married into a big midwestern family. The only recipes passed down are cream of crap soup casseroles. Ugh. Though we did all get great grandma's church cookbook for Christmas one year. It is HYSTERICAL. "Vegetarian chili" first ingredient, a pound of ground beef. Salads with Mountain Dew in them. Salads with more sour cream or mayo than vegetables. All around revolting hilarious stuff.

I'm sorry... salads with Mountain Dew? Please explain.

Seconded. I need to know more. Also, as a vegetarian, please don't make that chili for me. *sadface.

1 hour ago, OrchidBlossom said:

She is probably referring to something like this:      Mountain  Dew Jello Salad.  I have never tried it, but I have seen it served.

And I did once have a taste of a version of  Coca Cola Jello Salad.  

Jello has a lot to answer for!

That makes sense. We have a family recipe for a cranberry salad that has lime jello, fresh cranberries, pineapple, various nuts, and like a half a cup of ginger ale. The topping is whipped cream and cream cheese and roasted .... pecans I think? I haven't made it in a few years.

I still don't get how those very weird (sorry) highly caloric desserts can be referred to as SALADS? A salad for me is a light meal that usually contains fresh ingredients that can be picked up in single pieces (read: are never ever glued together in jello). It's usually not sweet with fruit salad being the exception. Now I realize, I might be narrow-minded about salads :confused2:

20 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

HA!

This is the thread that neeeee-ver ends!

It just goes on and on my freeeeeeeinds!

(Just trying to help you out. :)  Cuz I'm helpful.)

Honestly, thanks but this is much worse!

On 8/4/2016 at 7:57 PM, RabbitKM said:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160804/belmont/arthur-ave-restaurateur-among-46-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy

I was browsing the news and noticed a familiar name in there.... You think any connection? They said the group includes a Philly based family. 

* please note, I'm really not trying to start any nasty rumors.. this is mostly tongue in cheek ;) 

I'm lovin' the mobsters' nicknames! :laughing-rolling:

14 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but was wondering if a wedding date has been set, or any other revealing news come about?

If no date announcement yet, how long did we have to wait between engagement announcement with Jill & Jessa, to when they announced their dates? They both only had around 3 months from proposal to aisle, right?

I don't believe there's been an announcement yet. Jessa and Ben, IIRC were engaged in June and married in November. Dumb and Dumber's felt like it went a lot quicker than that. So I assume fall wedding for JinJer. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived