IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

I don't think I ever had the experience of super-secret family recipes. My grandma has her specialties, of course, but I think because a lot of my family is really into experimenting with recipes (one aunt went to culinary school and used to work for a cooking magazine, both my cousin and I have spent extensive time overseas and love playing with the techniques and flavors we learned, and my dad did a bunch of culinary courses after he went into semi-retirement), we don't have anything that closely guarded. My dad has a big file of recipes he likes to use a lot (his lasagne will make you believe in a kind and merciful god), my grandma taught me how to make pasta sauce and gravy, but nothing's that secret or sacred, because the next year someone will say "hey, maybe let's do the pasta sauce but with a more Middle Eastern spice mix" or "hey, I found this recipe for gravy, let's try some of the stuff they say to do/add".

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my esperience there is some recipe i love to share, and usuale i do,  but there is also one or two that beore i share to you, you have to prove to be part of the family. For explample the recipe of the sauce is ok to share, but the for bread of pizza recipe you have to wait... 

We have those recipes as well. Here in our region especially Spätzle recipes. Those are a special kind of noodle. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzle) I mostly buy pre-made ones because I can't cook at all. But my mother can make them as well. Spätzle are my favourite type of food. Spätzle with gravy is a typical children's food. And Spätzle with cheese (Kässpätzle) taste awesome. Not at all comparable to mac and cheese. Swabian dishes are awesome! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabian_cuisine)  

Now I'm hungry. Good think the dough to make waffles is already in the fridge. Trying something new today. I used a pre-made mix for a cake with lemon taste and added some sprinkles and chocolate. My Grandma would kill me for making waffles like that... 

1 hour ago, Gobbles said:

We have those recipes as well. Here in our region especially Spätzle recipes. Those are a special kind of noodle. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzle) I mostly buy pre-made ones because I can't cook at all. But my mother can make them as well. Spätzle are my favourite type of food. Spätzle with gravy is a typical children's food. And Spätzle with cheese (Kässpätzle) taste awesome. Not at all comparable to mac and cheese. Swabian dishes are awesome! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabian_cuisine)  

mmmm! That sounds delicious! I've never heard of spätzle! 

On 7/29/2016 at 6:38 PM, VelociRapture said:

I'm too lazy to find the exact posts, but others have already linked to sermons his father has given - they're full of the typical Fundie patriarchy, misogyny, etc. I doubt they'll be a positive influence religion wise.

Isn't the father into pray away the gay? So is the son, IIRC.

3 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Now I'm hungry. Good think the dough to make waffles is already in the fridge. Trying something new today. I used a pre-made mix for a cake with lemon taste and added some sprinkles and chocolate. My Grandma would kill me for making waffles like that... 

Kässpätzle is one of the few family recipes my family has. My grandma was originally from the Allgäu. I've actually taught quite a few of my Berlin friends to make home-made Spätzle, and converted even more to eating them. :D

11 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Kässpätzle is one of the few family recipes my family has. My grandma was originally from the Allgäu. I've actually taught quite a few of my Berlin friends to make home-made Spätzle, and converted even more to eating them. :D

Yall really have me wanting to try this. I love pasta and worship the FSM in all his noodly glory.

In my family the only real secret recipe we have is my own for Blueberry Cobbler. I created it when I was 12 from an old peach cobbler one and its just gotten better ever since. I normally have to make at least one 9x13 pan every Sunday for Mr.NAI when they're in season. 

I tried to put it in a spoiler but I'm mobile. Sorry hungry people.

IMG_20151129_194724.jpg

22 minutes ago, NotAnIncubator said:

Yall really have me wanting to try this. I love pasta and worship the FSM in all his noodly glory.

In my family the only real secret recipe we have is my own for Blueberry Cobbler. I created it when I was 12 from an old peach cobbler one and its just gotten better ever since. I normally have to make at least one 9x13 pan every Sunday for Mr.NAI when they're in season. 

I tried to put it in a spoiler but I'm mobile. Sorry hungry people.

IMG_20151129_194724.jpg

I have no doubt that it's quite tasty on it's own, but I could also see it w/a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dash of whipped cream (but not enough to overpower it). I LOVE blueberries.  :: drooling ::

I LOVE Spätzle and every other Swabian dish I tried during my time in Stuttgart - Maultaschen, the pretzels... My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Since the talk moved to food this isn't terribly out of place, Jinjer's fixation with coffee....I was under the impression that most fundies believed caffeine to be a drug and tried to avoid it.  Does coffee get a pass because it's trendy?  But then...wouldn't that be a "worldly" thing, ya know...hipsters in coffee shops being all heathenistic and atheist and whatnot?

1 hour ago, SunnySideUp said:

I LOVE Spätzle and every other Swabian dish I tried during my time in Stuttgart - Maultaschen, the pretzels... My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

That is great to hear! I live in Stuttgart by the way. :) 

27 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Since the talk moved to food this isn't terribly out of place, Jinjer's fixation with coffee....I was under the impression that most fundies believed caffeine to be a drug and tried to avoid it.  Does coffee get a pass because it's trendy?  But then...wouldn't that be a "worldly" thing, ya know...hipsters in coffee shops being all heathenistic and atheist and whatnot?

We have many, probably what would be considered fundy-lights that come into our shop, we even have several different groups that have Bible studies...they all (mostly) love coffee :my_biggrin: I thought Mormons don't drink coffee, but not positive about any other sects

16 hours ago, Cassia said:

I'm quite curious about this. Why would you say NO WAY to sharing a family recipe? I admit that I have none - my family is from the east coast of Canada and while there are a lot of recipes and foods from that region that you won't find anywhere else, I can't imagine holding on tight to any of them and not sharing. I just think that if I had a spectacular recipe, I would want to pass it along to others, especially family and friends. Sort of like, the more good recipes we share, the better we all get to eat (-Simply Recipes) :)

I honestly don't understand the mindset behind it. So my question is just a simple, why?

I thought I would throw in another reason not to share recipes-- people may "steal" them.  Many years ago I gave a friend my mother's recipe (from her mother, who got it from her mother--don't know any further).  A few years later, my friend casually mentioned that she had entered the recipe in a national cooking contest, and it had won first prize. The recipe is now "owned" (or whatever) by the magazine that had the contest.  

So giving out a family recipe to a friend may result in wider dissemination than bargained for.

1 hour ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Not to mention the expense of buying coffee from a shop vs making it at home- I'd hope purchased coffee would be a rare treat for anyone named or related to the Duggars.

3 hours ago, SunnySideUp said:

Ooooh, Maultaschen! I need some. In my mouth. Right now! :)

For anyone who doesn't know: "Maultaschen" are like pierogis, gyoza, mandu, etc. Steamed, fried, deep-fried...

If we talk about Maultaschen: It is said that monks have invented them. During the Lent they were not allowed to eat meat. So they hide the meat in noodle dough so that God couldn't see it. (There are several stories like that, but this is the most common one.) In Swabian they are also called Herrgottsbescheißerle. How do I translate that. Oh my, Wikipedia is there to help again: "Small God bullshitters". I'm having a good laugh here. Our dialect is fun, isn't it? Another one? If you talk about a teeny tiny amount you can say "Muggaseggele" which means "testicles of a mosquito".)

meine guete sind hier so viele deutsche?

Sorry, they told me to write in english: I asked: Are there so many Germans here? Because a lot of people were talking about german recipes on this thread.

14 hours ago, Meridae said:

My favorite family recipe story isn't even a recipe from my family!

So one of our neighbors, who attends the same parish as my parents do, makes this amazing coffee cake. It's so good that she'll auction it off at church fundraisers and can easily net $300 for one single cake. She guards this recipe like a lion, to the extent where the woman won't let her kids in the kitchen while she cooks and won't let them go through the garbage can when she's done (she's that crazy about it). My mother, who is an avid baker and cook, had tried several times to find a similar version of this cake online with little success, but she was pretty sure the base of the cake was a box mix- boxed cakes have a different consistency than from-scratch cakes do! So I guess one day she happened to stumble across this blog post from five years before, and lo and behold... "This is my friend Fran's (our neighbor) mother's crumb cake recipe! It has been in her family for several years and it's the only crumb cake you'll ever need!" complete with pictures and very clear instructions.

IT WAS THE CRUMB CAKE.

AND IT WAS, INDEED, A BOX MIX.

Now remember, this lady pretty much quarantines the kitchen while she makes this cake so how the recipe got out of her hands and onto the Internet we're not exactly sure. But it is so yummy! Now it's pretty much become the family joke, and it's tradition to make the cake for nearly every family function or as gifts. I have to say my mom makes it better than our neighbor does (and we don't have to fork over $300+ for a slice!) :) 

I love this story. So, I'm isually not a box-mix kind of girl, but now I'm intrigued. Aren't you gonna share the recipe? ;-D

My dad and dziadzia make the best kiełbasa. Hands down. Moms sauerkraut is delicious, too (and we haven't contracted botulism!)

The only traditional Polish foods we make ourselves are kiełbasa, gołąbki, and sauerkraut. I've attempted to make pierogi once, and they were good, but I'm still perfecting the dough recipe. Everything else is just difficult.

3 minutes ago, Alicja said:

My dad and dziadzia make the best kiełbasa. Hands down. Moms sauerkraut is delicious, too (and we haven't contracted botulism!)

(snip)

Lies! My grandma's Sauerkraut is the best ever! :)

For posterity: Thus began the Sauerkraut War of 2016...

It is against the rules to post in any language other than English. So, fellow German speakers, do me a favour here. I don't want to warn you, you don't want to be warned. An occasional word here and there is fine, but my fellow helpmeets have to be able to understand what is going on. So, please, do me a favour and post in English! Thank you.

Thanks, SS.

Guys - I am so glad you are having a lovely discussion of cuisine, but I am a dumb American - I speak only English, and I have to understand.

Please.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived