IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

6 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Since the talk moved to food this isn't terribly out of place, Jinjer's fixation with coffee....I was under the impression that most fundies believed caffeine to be a drug and tried to avoid it.  Does coffee get a pass because it's trendy?  But then...wouldn't that be a "worldly" thing, ya know...hipsters in coffee shops being all heathenistic and atheist and whatnot?

Actually, fundie coffee shops are a big thing. My dad designed one run by his Dutch Reformed Church in the 90's. And the Duggars' favorite joint is Mama Carmen's; apparently, they funnel money to SOS. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

My family is mostly German, but we have a few recipes like that, too. The biggies are my great-great aunt's sugarcake recipe, my grandma's snickerdoodle recipe, and my great-grandmother's recipe for homemade pot pie noodles. Lots of people make them, but no one make them quite like they did. 

Keeping the recipes in the family, at least around here, is a way of knowing "who your people are." When you taste a deviled egg or some chicken salad (another of Grandma's specialties) at a church social, you can instantly know who made it by how it tastes.

What are pot pie noodles? Is it like pot pie filling served over noodles?

Phew....I've finally caught up with all the JinJer threads. I chose a bad time to knock myself out, get concussion and spend 3 days in hospital. You guys talk fast and I'm currently a slow reader, but I got the there in the end!

All the food talk is making me hungry. I loved travelling around Germany, as a vegetarian it wasn't the easiest thing to do but if you persevere you can find amazing food. Amsterdam was great food wise too, as is Paris. We in Britian don't really have great foods.

9 minutes ago, PianoPounder said:

What are pot pie noodles? Is it like pot pie filling served over noodles?

Yes, kind of. They're broad, dense, flat noodles made out of egg, flour, water, and maybe something else but I'm not sure what. They're made entirely by hand and ridiculously good. 

In my neck of the woods there are two kinds of pot pie; baked (self-explanatory), and "slippery," or boiled. That's the kind with noodles, and one of the best comfort foods in the world. 

Family recipes?  Mine would be potato pancakes and chicken and dumplings...well, really just the dumplings.  I don't think there are any secret ingredients though.  Pretty run of the mill, so I am willing to share :)

My family have no handed down recipes. Growing up I ate a Duggar diet so about the only thing that could be passed down is the can opener. :content:

17 hours ago, Meridae said:

My favorite family recipe story isn't even a recipe from my family!

So one of our neighbors, who attends the same parish as my parents do, makes this amazing coffee cake. It's so good that she'll auction it off at church fundraisers and can easily net $300 for one single cake. She guards this recipe like a lion, to the extent where the woman won't let her kids in the kitchen while she cooks and won't let them go through the garbage can when she's done (she's that crazy about it). My mother, who is an avid baker and cook, had tried several times to find a similar version of this cake online with little success, but she was pretty sure the base of the cake was a box mix- boxed cakes have a different consistency than from-scratch cakes do! So I guess one day she happened to stumble across this blog post from five years before, and lo and behold... "This is my friend Fran's (our neighbor) mother's crumb cake recipe! It has been in her family for several years and it's the only crumb cake you'll ever need!" complete with pictures and very clear instructions.

IT WAS THE CRUMB CAKE.

AND IT WAS, INDEED, A BOX MIX.

Now remember, this lady pretty much quarantines the kitchen while she makes this cake so how the recipe got out of her hands and onto the Internet we're not exactly sure. But it is so yummy! Now it's pretty much become the family joke, and it's tradition to make the cake for nearly every family function or as gifts. I have to say my mom makes it better than our neighbor does (and we don't have to fork over $300+ for a slice!) :) 

Is it this one, by any chance? http://www.food.com/recipe/crumb-cake-55139

That sounds fantastic, and a lot like Entenmann's crumbcake, which is amazing. As soon as it's cool enough to bake again, I'm definitely trying it. 

7 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

That sounds fantastic, and a lot like Entenmann's crumbcake, which is amazing. As soon as it's cool enough to bake again, I'm definitely trying it. 

I was just scrolling through unread posts and saw entemanns crumb cake.  I haven't thought of thst in years...but now I can't think of anything else. :) 

4 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I love this story. So, I'm isually not a box-mix kind of girl, but now I'm intrigued. Aren't you gonna share the recipe? ;-D

@Meridae yes, I'm gonna need this recipe 

@cathgrl1 Yes it is! :) The only thing incorrect about that recipe is the amount of mix, I guess the company made the amount of mix that comes in a box smaller so you'll need to adjust amounts of other ingredients accordingly. @JemimaPuddle-Duck and @Marissap, it can be found here! It's one of those cakes that comes out a little differently every time but I assure you, it's delicious. Just remember to adjust for the change in mix amount! http://www.food.com/recipe/crumb-cake-55139 @Lillymuffin and @HerNameIsBuffy that's what it tastes like, but better, cause it's homemade (if you forget about the box mix part... :) )

@PennySycamore thank you! I've never seen my mom laugh so hard over a damn cake before! It's worth the work she put into finding the recipe so I encourage you to make it!

7 minutes ago, Meridae said:

@cathgrl1 Yes it is! :) The only thing incorrect about that recipe is the amount of mix, I guess the company made the amount of mix that comes in a box smaller so you'll need to adjust amounts of other ingredients accordingly. @JemimaPuddle-Duck and @Marissap, it can be found here! It's one of those cakes that comes out a little differently every time but I assure you, it's delicious. http://www.food.com/recipe/crumb-cake-55139 @Lillymuffin and @HerNameIsBuffy that's what it tastes like, but better, cause it's homemade (if you forget about the box mix part... :) )

Thank you!  I can't wait to try it.

if you guys want to post your recipes on the FeedJinger blog let me know and I'll add you as posters.  Just shoot me a PM.

My spätzle and jäger schnitzel recipes are over there and not bad if I do say so myself :) .

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Please let me know how it turns out! Oh and the recipe makes enough for two cakes, so make sure you have a friend to give the other one to, unless you feel like being a little bit greedy :) which is totally forgivable!

1 minute ago, Meridae said:

Please let me know how it turns out! Oh and the recipe makes enough for two cakes, so make sure you have a friend to give the other one to, unless you feel like being a little bit greedy :) which is totally forgivable!

Ha - three kids and a husband and company this weekend it won't be a problem :) 

10 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Since the talk moved to food this isn't terribly out of place, Jinjer's fixation with coffee....I was under the impression that most fundies believed caffeine to be a drug and tried to avoid it.  Does coffee get a pass because it's trendy?  But then...wouldn't that be a "worldly" thing, ya know...hipsters in coffee shops being all heathenistic and atheist and whatnot?

When I was in college, I got invited to some fundie-lite Bible studies and religious meetings that all seemed to take place at coffee shops. I think the idea was to put students at ease so they were more receptive to the topics. I don't think there's a prohibition on coffee, in the same way that Mormons don't drink it (mostly). That said, I have known some fundie-lite people who didn't indulge in caffeine because they believed it to be a drug, like alcohol. 

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

if you guys want to post your recipes on the FeedJinger blog let me know and I'll add you as posters.  Just shoot me a PM.

My spätzle and jäger schnitzel recipes are over there and not bad if I do say so myself :) .

Ooh, yay, can I join? I'll make it worth your while with my not-very-secret family Kässpätzle recipe!

9 hours ago, December said:

When I was in college, I got invited to some fundie-lite Bible studies and religious meetings that all seemed to take place at coffee shops. I think the idea was to put students at ease so they were more receptive to the topics. I don't think there's a prohibition on coffee, in the same way that Mormons don't drink it (mostly). That said, I have known some fundie-lite people who didn't indulge in caffeine because they believed it to be a drug, like alcohol. 

At my (Jesuit) catholic university, they would host theology discussions at the local bar.  Same idea, get people loose and comfy before talking about those big questions!

58 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Ooh, yay, can I join? I'll make it worth your while with my not-very-secret family Kässpätzle recipe!

Done!

15 hours ago, Alicja said:

My dad and dziadzia make the best kiełbasa. Hands down. Moms sauerkraut is delicious, too (and we haven't contracted botulism!)

The only traditional Polish foods we make ourselves are kiełbasa, gołąbki, and sauerkraut. I've attempted to make pierogi once, and they were good, but I'm still perfecting the dough recipe. Everything else is just difficult.

Back when I used to eat meat, I LOVED kielbasa. To be honest, I do miss it (meat) from time to time, but not a whole lot.

There's a Russian orthodox church nearby, & they have a festival every now & again (& anyone can go). I went to it last year, & saw how busy their take-out food line was (mainly for pierogis, but other things as well). There's also a local bakery that has pierogi Thursdays, & they usually sell out.

:: trying not drool & failing miserably ::

16 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Lies! My grandma's Sauerkraut is the best ever! :)

For posterity: Thus began the Sauerkraut War of 2016...

So are you posting recipes?  The most delicious sauerkraut was when I was in Poland but my mother used the prepared kind (with kielbasa) so I never learned how to cook it.

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

Actually, fundie coffee shops are a big thing. My dad designed one run by his Dutch Reformed Church in the 90's. And the Duggars' favorite joint is Mama Carmen's; apparently, they funnel money to SOS. 

Well ffs. I knew they liked a fundie coffee shop that sent money to some Christian charity or other, but I didn't realize it was SOS. Wow. Someone please tell me that Mama Carmen is originally from Danger America and that she knows that the locals are conning the con man, to put it bluntly? Or something?

On 7/31/2016 at 7:30 AM, VelociRapture said:

@CasseroleMy In-Laws have always treated me like one of their kids, but I only really felt like family after his mom gave me a few family recipes after we got engaged - including the family meatball and sauce recipes. I've only made it twice so far, but the second time my husband said I made it perfectly. I consider it to be amongst the highest praise I've ever received.

Idk that I exactly feel like family to my Italian mother-in-law because she's a certifiable narc (everybody else though is different) but when I got a recipe for my husband's favorite Italian dish, I felt honored and then when he told me I make it better than his mom so much freakin pride that I cried. Italians don't mess around with their meals.

Also my mother-in-laws last name may or may not rhyme with bambino...

13 hours ago, Meridae said:

@cathgrl1 Yes it is! :) The only thing incorrect about that recipe is the amount of mix, I guess the company made the amount of mix that comes in a box smaller so you'll need to adjust amounts of other ingredients accordingly. @JemimaPuddle-Duck and @Marissap, it can be found here! It's one of those cakes that comes out a little differently every time but I assure you, it's delicious. Just remember to adjust for the change in mix amount! http://www.food.com/recipe/crumb-cake-55139 @Lillymuffin and @HerNameIsBuffy that's what it tastes like, but better, cause it's homemade (if you forget about the box mix part... :) )

@PennySycamore thank you! I've never seen my mom laugh so hard over a damn cake before! It's worth the work she put into finding the recipe so I encourage you to make it!

Thank you for sharing! My dad always bought Entemann's crumb cake. I've tried a few from-scratch recipes, and they're just not the same. 

Just catching up here and was interested in the whole thing about different attitudes towards sharing family recipes.

I never got why people would refuse to share a recipe until my sister shared a recipe with a friend.  It was for florentine cookies. We are not Italian, it was just a recipe that my mother used to do that was a bit unusual and super tasty.  Anyway, the guy my sister shared it with proceeded to make the florentines every Christmas afterwards. He always bakes a bunch of different cookies and gives each of his friends a box. It's a nice thing for him to do and he is  a good baker too. Once he got the recipe he added the florentines to the selection of cookies he brings around at Christmas.  Which wouldn't be a problem, except that he didn't do them the way we do.  It's supposed to be a delicate cookie so the dried fruit and nuts on top should be chopped small and the chocolate on the bottom should be very thin. His were big and clunky. He even experimented with using some different dried fruits than the ones my Mum used (massive chunks of dried coconut and pineapple-It's not a fucking Pina colada people! )

Now this would still all be fine for him to do, EXCEPT that he kept telling everyone that his mutant cookies were the PPOD family recipe.  Which they were not.  Plus they just were not as good. And he did this for years.  Hhrmph!

Interestingly, I have noticed that over the last 4 or 5 years he has finally given up with the weird experimental additions. He has also started chopping up the nuts etc to the "proper" consistency. I like to think that he finally realized that my mother had it right in the first place. 

Now if he would just give me the recipe for his expresso shortbread cookie. ..I have lost count of how many times I have asked for it.  He SAYS he will, but he never fucking does.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived