IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

My husband's father's family is 100%Italian...Pop scared the crap out of me because certain relatives were..."connected", iykwim. I loved his grandmom though, she always told me I needed to eat more because I was too skinny, no one had ever told me that! I never did get any recipes :my_sad: 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

My husband's father's family is 100%Italian...Pop scared the crap out of me because certain relatives were..."connected", iykwim. I loved his grandmom though, she always told me I needed to eat more because I was too skinny, no one had ever told me that! I never did get any recipes :my_sad: 

My mother's parents were immigrants. They were connected to absolutely nothing. :-) They've been gone a long time but I still miss them. I feel more connected to those roots than my mother did, probably because of when she grew up.

All else being what it is, sigh, Jinger will probably have an interesting time of it amidst all the cousins. I expect it to be good for her, in some way or other.

@MayMay1123,  my college boyfriend had a good friend in junior college from a large city in upstate NY who was Italian and "connected".  Yep, I  know what you mean!

I wish to have all of you here in italy girls, maybe il you want i can put here some easy recipe... :content:

9 hours ago, iweartanktops said:

I think they're the more dangerous fundies, kind of like the Bates. It's really important for them to seem "normal". When they don't talk about Jesus every two seconds, wear more modern clothing, etc., they don't stand out so much. This makes it easier to pull others in to the cult. When people notice things like what I bolded, people tend to be fooled. Just like many on FJ are. 

I have a branch of fundies in my family. They are all very pretty, they dress with style (sometimes even short shorts and strapless dresses!), and wear their hair and makeup beautifully. At first glance, they look like a large, beautiful family with conservative values. Once you get to know them, the hate and bigotry comes out. 

My worry is that Ben and Jeremy will team up in an anti catholic rant about how fundism saved them from being an evil catholic 

y

35 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

My worry is that Ben and Jeremy will team up in an anti catholic rant about how fundism saved them from being an evil catholic 

y

I predict this will happen by year's end. After all, Jeremy's parents were saved from the evils of Catholicism and he has been marinated in that vina Rosa ever since. These two will be more obnoxious than Boob traveling overseas. 

So, are the Vuolo grandparents still Catholic? If so, I feel sorry for them already. Even though they're attention whores. They are in for quite the ride.

14 hours ago, st4rfl33t said:

I'm extremely excited for Jinger to become a preacher's wife! 

She'll get to organize picnics and photograph them. 

What an existence!

I've just had flashbacks of "7th Heaven", god I loved that show............ WHAT WAS I THINKING! ;) 

6 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I wish to have all of you here in italy girls, maybe il you want i can put here some easy recipe... :content:

You can either post a recipe in this thread, or here:

55 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

You can either post a recipe in this thread, or here:

Ok thanks after when i have some time i post here and there the ragù recipe... :my_biggrin: oh i have a vacancy house in florence with nine bed, so if some of you want to come just tell me :my_biggrin:

@CasseroleMy In-Laws have always treated me like one of their kids, but I only really felt like family after his mom gave me a few family recipes after we got engaged - including the family meatball and sauce recipes. I've only made it twice so far, but the second time my husband said I made it perfectly. I consider it to be amongst the highest praise I've ever received.

ok as i promise before i put here my family's ragu recipe, is for a family of 4/6 but we use at least for two meal or we freeze a part.

• 500 g minced meat (you could choose if you prefer half pork and half cow or judt cow)
  • 1 or 2 carrots  carrot
  • 1 medium onion
  • olive oil  
  • tomato puree it has to cover the meet so i will say 400/450 g to be sure
  • rosmarin
  • if you like some other aromaic plants like leaf...

first put some oil in a pot, cut the vegeteble in a beating and put in the oil when is hot, after a minute when you see the onion start to become brwn put the meat inside then the tomato., cooke it for half an hour -45 minutes with low fira lid and turning from down to the top  sometimes to be sure that it dosen't burn  then taste it put some salt and pepper and decide if you want some more time or if is enough for you and...buon appetito

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@CasseroleMy In-Laws have always treated me like one of their kids, but I only really felt like family after his mom gave me a few family recipes after we got engaged - including the family meatball and sauce recipes. I've only made it twice so far, but the second time my husband said I made it perfectly. I consider it to be amongst the highest praise I've ever received.

I married into a big midwestern family. The only recipes passed down are cream of crap soup casseroles. Ugh. Though we did all get great grandma's church cookbook for Christmas one year. It is HYSTERICAL. "Vegetarian chili" first ingredient, a pound of ground beef. Salads with Mountain Dew in them. Salads with more sour cream or mayo than vegetables. All around revolting hilarious stuff.

I had a dream last night that this site's name was changed to "Free Josie", because someone had apparently decided that Jinger was lost in Quiverland forever since she was getting married ;) I protested and said "well, I'm still gonna say Free Jinger and continue to hope that she will be free one day" :pb_razz: yes, she is my favourite, and even though living under Boobie and J'chelle's roof can't be fun, I really really hope that Jeremy treats her well! 

We haven't seen much of the littles since Counting On started. I wonder how Josie is doing. Imagine your TV appearances showing your blow out and licking and sticking your pizza toppings. I'm sure there's more to her than that. And then there's Jenni. Sigh. :sigh:

I just pulled out my sister's church cookbook and there are a number of vomitorious recipes in there including Tater Tot Casserole!  My sister contributed a recipe that uses canned potatoes.  I WILL NOT be making that one.  Some of the recipes were good including the ones my niece contributed. (My sis sent some good ones, too.)  My niece did spend a semester in Italy studying art history as well as living in Charleston for a number of years.  That influence has served her well.  None of her recipes make you want to hurl.

Y'all I am so mad. I go away for vacation: Jinger announces courtship. I go away for less than a week to take the bar: Jinger is engaged. They never do the snarkworthy stuff when I am available :my_angry:

Just caught up though. My tl;dr is Jeremy continues to give me a weird vibe that I don't like, but I definitely agree it's too much to say he is or isn't much of *anything* (except maybe deep in kool aid if he came after a Duggar) based on the very little we have. I sincerely hope she is happy, and she *looks* happy although there was one part where she said in that video how happy she was that reminded me of the time my uncle gave me socks as a joke gift and I pretended to be super psyched about it. But at other times they did look genuinely happy together so... could just be a bad cut or bad acting or awkwardness. Who knows. I literally can't wait to get my snark on this season though. Tossing my hat in with those who hope Michelle the Tin Man makes another re-appearance at the wedding.

40 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I just pulled out my sister's church cookbook and there are a number of vomitorious recipes in there including Tater Tot Casserole!  My sister contributed a recipe that uses canned potatoes.  I WILL NOT be making that one.  Some of the recipes were good including the ones my niece contributed. (My sis sent some good ones, too.)  My niece did spend a semester in Italy studying art history as well as living in Charleston for a number of years.  That influence has served her well.  None of her recipes make you want to hurl.

TIL there are potatoes which come in cans.

Of all the things that don't need to be preserved in cans. Honestly.

I have a small collection of church cookbooks my dad gathered for me years ago, as he was the progenitor of my sense of humor. But it always remained far from reality for me as I didn't grow up eating those things, for the most part. I find it easier to pretend it's all made up. That is to say, most of it. There are always a few recipes made from fresh ingredients, or at least retaining original texture, tossed into the mix.

It seems they all learn to eat better food when they leave home. If they develop a broader palate, then hopefully the desire to cook more broadly is a result.

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

I married into a big midwestern family. The only recipes passed down are cream of crap soup casseroles. Ugh. Though we did all get great grandma's church cookbook for Christmas one year. It is HYSTERICAL. "Vegetarian chili" first ingredient, a pound of ground beef. Salads with Mountain Dew in them. Salads with more sour cream or mayo than vegetables. All around revolting hilarious stuff.

This, exactly. :) My family recipes are like this - Aunt Sarah's Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting: Add 2 Tbsp of Jiff Peanut Butter to 1 container of Betty Crocker Fudge Frosting and mix well. Spread on "homemade" cake (mix from a box)...

So I am getting to witness first hand how crazy in your face the fun dies are with relationships 

This one family I know ha's a 23 year old daughter, still lives at home. Her 20 year old sister is the only one married. There's a brother and two other sisters in the mix too ...

Anyway, the 23 year old daughter found a guy that she likes and her dad approves of. She gets to go on her FIRST DATE EVER!!!!!! This date was last night. The 20 year old and her husband bought a present for the 23 year old, she took him to church and everyone decided to go, including the brothet in law who doesn't usually go to church. So now, everyone is hanging out all day today watching the new couple and being all up in their business.

Jesus, let them get to know each other on their own.

Anyway, I feel like I'm watching the Duggar family in all of this. Because everyone is involved in this poor girls first real relationship.

I can't imagine my family being that much up in my business 

6 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

Jesus, let them get to know each other on their own.

I'm guessing Jesus is the reason they aren't supposed to get to know each other on their own ;) Lame joke aside, that's pretty bizarre. I know some people get a little smothered by their families when they bring home a new boyfriend/girlfriend, especially in a first relationship. But usually that happens after they've had some time to really get to know each other through dating! Also, that's a pretty intimidating scenario for the date who's being introduced! 

For the Duggars' courting stuff, and similar rules in other fundie families, I don't know how people can be seen as making informed decisions about serious, adult matters like marriage when they're not allowed unfiltered contact with the real world, and beyond that not allowed alone time (even when it's completely non-sexual) with a potential/future spouse. 

20 hours ago, JillyO said:

So, are the Vuolo grandparents still Catholic? If so, I feel sorry for them already. Even though they're attention whores. They are in for quite the ride.

They didn't strike me as "attention whores."   It was a brief message, and you got the impression that the grandmother was just so happy for Jeremy that she was bursting.  They may turn out to be "fame whores" -- you sort of know the father is-- but a couple of grandparents sending  best wishes totheir grandson and his girlfriend... That is just human.  

As for the grandmother being willing to be filmed teaching her grandson's bride how to make marinara sauce or whatever . . . Again, why not?  It is unlikely that the grandma went to TLC and asked them to put her in the show.  She is just going along with what her grandson asked.  My mom would have been ecstatic to teach a prospective grandchild-in-law a recipe (on tv or off).

Maybe they will turn out to be fame whores, but on the evidence so far they are no more than loving grandparents.  (If she really is still Catholic, the grandma's statement that she would pray for them is interesting.)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived