IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

44 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I don't believe there's been an announcement yet. Jessa and Ben, IIRC were engaged in June and married in November. Dumb and Dumber's felt like it went a lot quicker than that. So I assume fall wedding for JinJer. 

Benessa were actually engaged in Mid-August (can't remember the date, but around the 15th I think) and married November 1st. Hipster Jesus and Jill were engaged March 29th and married June 21st. So they both had engagements around three months long - the Dillards may have been engaged a few days longer actually.

(And full disclosure, I absolutely had to look up the dates. :pb_lol:)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Benessa were actually engaged in Mid-August and married early November. Hipster Jesus and Jill were engaged March 29th and married in late June. So they both had engagements around three months long - the Dillards may have been engaged a few days longer actually.

(And full disclosure, I absolutely had to look up the date Jill said Derick proposed. :pb_lol:)

Then I am predicting early October.

they can combine with an early Halloween and fall feast

16 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Benessa were actually engaged in Mid-August (can't remember the date, but around the 15th I think) and married November 1st. Hipster Jesus and Jill were engaged March 29th and married June 21st. So they both had engagements around three months long - the Dillards may have been engaged a few days longer actually.

Thank you, I was too lazy to do that. I could've sworn it was June, that's worse than I though. :pb_lol:

15 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

Good lord, if you have two at once, go right on. I had six, but one at a time.

LOL Not the who has it harder Mommy Olympics, but 6!? lol I'd say that wins over twins any day :)

10 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm sorry... salads with Mountain Dew? Please explain.

Slightly less gross perhaps, it's Mountain Dew Jello Salad. 

A can of MD, lemon Jello, water, pineapple juice, lemon pie filling, cool whip

God eww. I broke out the cook book to find it! Man I love this thing. Clearly Vegetarian Chili lady meant Veggie Chili bc it has a bunch of vegetables in it, but it never fails to make me laugh.

meat.jpg

recipe1.jpg

2 minutes ago, twinmama said:

God eww. I broke out the cook book to find it! Man I love this thing. Clearly Vegetarian Chili lady meant Veggie Chili bc it has a bunch of vegetables in it, but it never fails to make me laugh.

meat.jpg

recipe1.jpg

they just HAD to get that condensed soup in there, somehow, didn't they? that chili would be perfectly wonderful without condensed tomato soup. I don't get their infatuation. 

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I still don't get how those very weird (sorry) highly caloric desserts can be referred to as SALADS? A salad for me is a light meal that usually contains fresh ingredients that can be picked up in single pieces (read: are never ever glued together in jello). It's usually not sweet with fruit salad being the exception. Now I realize, I might be narrow-minded about salads :confused2:

I just found a recipe for Grape Salad that has 3lb of grapes, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 8oz of cream cheese, a cup of sour cream, and sprinkles it all with brown sugar afterwards. Calling it salad makes me want to cry.

Ok, last one:

saladhahayeahright.jpg

11 minutes ago, twinmama said:

meat.jpg

recipe1.jpg

Whaa-ha-ha, a recipe to preserve children! I think I'm gonna try that one, sounds perfectly delicious!

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

LOL Not the who has it harder Mommy Olympics, but 6!? lol I'd say that wins over twins any day :)

Obviously, there's no competition at all. :-) Just the understanding that when you're in the middle of it, it's everything, sometimes grand, sometimes chaotic and exhausting. Looking back over it all, some parts fade into the tapestry background, while others still stand out.

Salads are chopped up stuff, dressed and served cold. They have an interesting long history. I have a lot of mid-century cookbooks, but haven't determined more of an origin for recipes including Jell-O, cottage cheese, etc., other than manufacturers hiring people to develop recipes so people will buy their product. In other words, those trends were driven purely by marketing the foods in the middle of the store. Same with canned soup, and that instant stuffing mix, etc. Create a product to meet an immediate need such as time-saving, create a continuing market for it by broadening its use, which creates demand for more like products.

/edging away from soap box...

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

Isn't that a Trifle? How in God's name is that a salad?  

Oh, how I remember the days of the "molded salad"! Sometimes you'd get a little shredded carrot; sometimes, it was sheer imagination to call it a salad. 

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

[...]

Ok, last one:

saladhahayeahright.jpg

Add to 12 cups of popcorn right before serving throwing out (or throwing up?). Fixed that.

23 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Isn't that a Trifle? How in God's name is that a salad?  

A trifle has layers.  This is all molded together.  The recipes with jello and soft drinks in them, as @backyard sylph suggests, all seem to originate with manufacturers trying to market their product. 

According to some of my food history books, the gelatin "salad" is connected to the desire of the "domestic scientists" in the early part of the 20th century, to make food neat and tidy. "Salad compoonents, fruits and vegetables, were inherently messy.  If they had to be eaten at all--and reluctantly it was concluded thate they were necessary suppliers of 'vitamines,' 'bulk,' and 'mineral salts'--then let them be tamed and controlled." (Lovegren, Fashionable Food [1995]).   The appeal of the gelatin salad was that you could mold it and decorate it.  It can look fancy even if it tastes absurd.

There are a lot of interesting things going on with the "salad" and its position in the menu throughout the 20th century.   Aside from fads, convenience and advertisers, it is important to keep in mind that having fresh salad ingredients year-round was difficult up until the 1950s or so. (Even then, the hardy iceberg lettuce, celery, carrots and some hardy taste-free tomato might be all that was available year-round well into the 1980s in some markets.)

I can't get over those recipes for pureeing your children and dogs and making a roux out of your tears. These twee metaphors are SCARY.

3 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I can't get over those recipes for pureeing your children and dogs and making a roux out of your tears. These twee metaphors are SCARY.

On the same page with Hunting Shack Venison! lol

As always, I'm struggling to keep up with the discussion. (My life gets in the way, unfortunately.) But I realized that, as I read the threads about Jinger's courtship and engagement, I'm feeling angrier and angrier.

NOT because Jinger is engaged. NOT because of who she is engaged in.

But because Jinger's courtship and engagement is providing and will continue to provide fuel for the media empire that is the Duggars.

I am SO angry that this repressive, ignorant, uneducated, smug, sexist, homophobic family continues to get scads of media attention and the money that TLC pays them. I am SO angry that, after all that has been revealed about them, their tv shows continue to be renewed.

They don't deserve the attention or the money! There is nothing special about this family whatsoever. J-Boob and MEEchelle are particularly nasty pieces of work because of what they have done to their offspring and the views they have promulgated via their public appearances and their use of media. But, by their actions, their adult children are continuing to contribute to the prettification of dangerous fundamentalist ideas.

The lovely photos of Jinger's courtship and engagement encourage the naive, the vulnerable, and the unthinking to suppose that thoughtless and uncritical religious fundamentalism gives people fulfilling and rich lives on earth and guarantees eternal life in heaven. It's all a bunch of pernicious lies, and TLC is nothing but an enabler of an oppressive and dangerous system.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I think 3 months is a  pretty standard engagement length for couples getting married just so they can have the sex.  These couples don't have fancy receptions just cake and punch (but not usually in parking lots) so they don't need as much planing time. They buy ill fitting off ht rack wedding gowns and ether have fake flowers or grocery store bouquets. At least these are the fundy light weddings I've attended over the years. 

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

These couples don't have fancy receptions just cake and punch (but not usually in parking lots) so they don't need as much planing time. They buy ill fitting off ht rack wedding gowns and ether have fake flowers or grocery store bouquets. 

Perhaps they just have the sense not to blow half their first wedded year's income on a single day.  

51 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

As always, I'm struggling to keep up with the discussion. (My life gets in the way, unfortunately.) But I realized that, as I read the threads about Jinger's courtship and engagement, I'm feeling angrier and angrier.

NOT because Jinger is engaged. NOT because of who she is engaged in.

But because Jinger's courtship and engagement is providing and will continue to provide fuel for the media empire that is the Duggars.

I am SO angry that this repressive, ignorant, uneducated, smug, sexist, homophobic family continues to get scads of media attention and the money that TLC pays them. I am SO angry that, after all that has been revealed about them, their tv shows continue to be renewed.

They don't deserve the attention or the money! There is nothing special about this family whatsoever. J-Boob and MEEchelle are particularly nasty pieces of work because of what they have done to their offspring and the views they have promulgated via their public appearances and their use of media. But, by their actions, their adult children are continuing to contribute to the prettification of dangerous fundamentalist ideas.

The lovely photos of Jinger's courtship and engagement encourage the naive, the vulnerable, and the unthinking to suppose that thoughtless and uncritical religious fundamentalism gives people fulfilling and rich lives on earth and guarantees eternal life in heaven. It's all a bunch of pernicious lies, and TLC is nothing but an enabler of an oppressive and dangerous system.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening.

While looking for the date of Michelle's laundry room breakdown for another message, I ran into this which, though written in 2011, seems to fit with what you are saying.  

Quiverful Image and the Duggars

The Duggars, in spite of their scandals, seem to succeed at promoting themselves and some very ugly, dysfunctional habits. 

But I have got to say that we here on Free Jinger may be part of the problem, not the solution.  Every time we post, we are contributing to the attention that this family doesn't deserve.  Irony. Paradox.

2 minutes ago, Petrel said:

Perhaps they just have the sense not to blow half their first wedded year's income on a single day.  

At the risk of helping to revive the dreaded wedding wars:

There's nothing wrong with being cautious with your money. Weddings can be really expensive - especially if you insist on inviting close to 1,000 people like the Duggars and Bateses do.

If their guests are aware ahead of time what to expect (i.e. Cake and punch only or light refreshments only reception) then I don't see anything wrong about it. It'd be nice if they provided some non-sugary drinks or, you know, heaters for an outdoor reception on a freezing November day though.

But yes. That type of reception generally requires less planning than a more formal dinner reception would. And less money per person as well. Which can be an excellent option for those looking to save money (though with how sexually repressed these specific young adults are, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if part of their reasoning was related to being able to do normal couple things together - including being able to have sex.)

1 hour ago, Petrel said:

That's a bit of a strawman, don't you think?

There is a whole range in the middle there. And I think the point was more about the lack of effort than the lack of expense. (Which people are certainly free to do if that's something they don't really care about, but I'm a bit tired of the other end of the spectrum being maligned just because they enjoy planning parties or want a bigger celebration)

It's entirely possible to have a VERY nice wedding that doesn't break the bank. It involves limiting the guest list somewhat, scheduling it at a time people won't be expecting full meals, and lots of work and DIY from the couple and their families (one of the families, at least, in my sister's case). A long enough engagement to save up and plan well helps, as well.

The Duggars don't seem to do much of that.

23 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

That's a bit of a strawman, don't you think?

There is a whole range in the middle there. And I think the point was more about the lack of effort than the lack of expense. (Which people are certainly free to do if that's something they don't really care about, but I'm a bit tired of the other end of the spectrum being maligned just because they enjoy planning parties or want a bigger celebration)

The implication was you're doing it wrong if you don't buy an expensive dress, have a full meal for the reception, and cover the church in flowers.  I had a $500 off-the-rack dress, punch and cake reception, and minimal flowers because my parents were footing the bill and I didn't want to wring more money out of them after they'd paid for my college too.  

I've been to fancier weddings since, but mostly of 30-somethings where the couple is paying for it themselves and both have been working for years.  Early 20's and parents who aren't rolling in money?  An expensive wedding is a dumb idea.  

6 hours ago, twinmama said:

I just found a recipe for Grape Salad that has 3lb of grapes, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 8oz of cream cheese, a cup of sour cream, and sprinkles it all with brown sugar afterwards. Calling it salad makes me want to cry.

Ok, last one:

saladhahayeahright.jpg

A lady at work brought the grape salad to a potluck. I tried a couple to be polite and - not to my taste sums up the experience quite nicely. Everyone else seemed to adore it. Bowl scraped clean.

When I was growing up Jell-O salads and desserts were common amongst the grandparent generation. I remember being told that if it just had vegetables or fruit in it, it was a salad. If it had bubbles (from fizzy beverage of choice), whipped cream/cool whip or cream cheese in addition to the fruit and vegetables it was desert. Mind boggles. In one meal, shredded carrots and dried fruit in orange Jell-O was the salad, and dessert was shredded carrots, canned fruit salad and cool whip in lime Jell-O. I vividly recall after one event that saw the jiggly offerings go untouched by anyone under fourty, my great aunt complaining that none of the young people liked salads or desserts, this observation was the beginning of the end for Jell-O yummies in my family's group...

That said, when I was around fourteen, I was ordered to make a Jell-O salad for one function by my mother. I love cooking and had a reputation as a very good cook in my family, so being forced to make something simple, that I hated, and felt would be boring rankled and pricked at my ego. Added to this, my mother explicitly told me to "just make it with whatever we have in the house". Which is exactly what not to say to a teenage INTJ in a snit. Suffice to say I reacted in a rather extreme way... by spending hours making a beautiful looking turquoise Jell-O layered salad with ritz cracker crumbs for sand, green (shredded and dyed in food colour) carrots for sea weed, dill pickles sliced to look like fish, gefilte fish sea stars and goldfish crackers, I should add that the Jell-O dissolving process was 'enhanced' by some kind of brightly coloured fruit liqueur from the far back of the cupboard. It was impressive looking once decanted from the seashell shaped mould I scavenged from the basement - it looked like a weird cross section of alien ocean and had a taste that left even the most fervent Jell-O fanatics muttering about how you just can't trust Jell-O salads. And since I had followed my mother's instructions to the letter, nobody could figure out how to justify punishing me. 

22 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Only because you can't cut my brake lines from where you are (I hope)

Thanks for posting this, @HerNameIsBuffy! I love Dusty Springfield's music.

The sheer sexiness, innuendo, and sly suggestions of sweet fellowship in this song remind me of something that I have wondered about: If you're Jeremy Vuolo, someone who probably already has some (maybe considerable) sexual experience, how do you go from that to complete (or almost complete--who knows how far those side hugs translate into front hugs?) abstinence?

In my experience, sexual desire is very powerful and difficult to resist. I've never understood how the Duggar and Bates kidults have been able to repress it enough not to act on it until their desires can be "righteously fulfilled"--i.e., after marriage.

Personally, I would never have succeeded in toeing the line in these families.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived