IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

2 hours ago, Petrel said:

Perhaps they just have the sense not to blow half their first wedded year's income on a single day.  

Have the wedding you can afford. If you can afford a big huge affair, do it. If you don't want that or can't afford that, don't do it. My biggest wedding opinion is don't invite more people than you can treat well. ie. don't invite 1000 people and give them nothing but melted ice cream sodas

16 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

I should add that the Jell-O dissolving process was 'enhanced' by some kind of brightly coloured fruit liqueur

Oh man, now I am really wanting Jello shots.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@twinmama right there with you. I even found a page of recipes for them, but none of the stores in my vicinity seem to sell Jell-O - just unflavoured gelatine, so I'm going have to go on a wander if I want to try any LAMO

2 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

Thanks for posting this, @HerNameIsBuffy! I love Dusty Springfield's music.

The sheer sexiness, innuendo, and sly suggestions of sweet fellowship in this song remind me of something that I have wondered about: If you're Jeremy Vuolo, someone who probably already has some (maybe considerable) sexual experience, how do you go from that to complete (or almost complete--who knows how far those side hugs translate into front hugs?) abstinence?

In my experience, sexual desire is very powerful and difficult to resist. I've never understood how the Duggar and Bates kidults have been able to repress it enough not to act on it until their desires can be "righteously fulfilled"--i.e., after marriage.

Personally, I would never have succeeded in toeing the line in these families.

Well, for the young adults born into these families it's simple -

No privacy. Especially when around a non-relative of the opposite sex. It's easy not to sin if you never have the opportunity.

I mean, the Bates parents actually have cameras around the inside of the house. So they can make sure the kids aren't sinning. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars did the same. Which is a whole other level of fuckery.

JB said that he fasts with the  boys if they have unrighteous thoughts. Don't know about the girls. Oh, they probably don't have those thoughts. i:my_angel:

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

JB said that he fasts with the  boys if they have unrighteous thoughts. Don't know about the girls. Oh, they probably don't have those thoughts. i:my_angel:

Good thing Jana probably knows how to delete the internet history.........

I have friends who are sikhs and do not drink coffee or alcohol. I have one friend who is of the Baha'i faith who also abstains from coffee and alcohol. I am not sure if these are tenants of the faith or their personal choices but from the way they talk about it, stimulants or intoxicants are frowned upon, at least in their social religious circles. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

This is interesting to me. My MIL practices Hinduism and fasts every week on a certain day to honor specific gods. I was not aware that fasting was a tenant of faith for evangelical or fundamentalist Christians. I know that catholics fast doing lent. 

In JB and the boys case, would this be as a punishment or purification ritual - or both? 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wait, what? When do the poor kids eat then? I know I couldn't go a full minute without some unrighteous thought in that house. . . You know, thoughts like "Lord help me but Mechelle's baby voice makes me want to gag her". Or, "say "hola" one more time Jim  Boobie and I'll pop ya a good one!"  Constant fasting for sure. In the prayer closet. With the door padlocked shut.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Well, for the young adults born into these families it's simple -

No privacy. Especially when around a non-relative of the opposite sex. It's easy not to sin if you never have the opportunity.

I mean, the Bates parents actually have cameras around the inside of the house. So they can make sure the kids aren't sinning. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars did the same. Which is a whole other level of fuckery.

I agree with you. Plus it's not like these couples are together all that long before they were married. I was with my first boyfriend for 4 years. I can't imagine not ever having sex for 4 years of that relationship (although we did wait for over a year). How long did Jill and Derrick have from when he got home from Nepal until the wedding? Like only a few months? Yeah that wouldn't be too hard to wait for a lot of couples.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I suspect that JB would be much thinner if all "unrighteous thoughts" were being accurately reported. 

And I suspect that "unrighteous thoughts" is a code for "thoughts that cause erections."

3 hours ago, MamaOdie said:

I have friends who are sikhs and do not drink coffee or alcohol. I have one friend who is of the Baha'i faith who also abstains from coffee and alcohol. I am not sure if these are tenants of the faith or their personal choices but from the way they talk about it, stimulants or intoxicants are frowned upon, at least in their social religious circles. 

I have a sikh friend who drinks coffee, so I believe that may be a personal choice. I know alcohol is verboten though.

@MamaOdie...Welcome to FJ. And to answer your question, in some  Christian denominations, fasting is encouraged and done regularly. Also, some Christians fast as a personal choice, even if it may not be mandatory in their church. There are many instances of fasting mentioned in the Bible. 

And hold up...the Bates have cameras around their homes to monitor their children??!!?!?! That is so creepy and controlling. 

If abstaining from sex is something that you truly want to do-- as in, have had a period of introspection about your wants and desires and boundaries and all that-- it's not that hard to abstain. I lived with my now husband for over two years and we both abstained because of my personal choices.

However, I severely doubt that any one of the Duggars or the Bateses have done any sort of introspection about their sexuality past "It's what I was told I have to do to get into heaven."

I was given the opportunity to make decisions about my own body that these people were not given, so I realize it's completely different. 

18 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I don't believe there's been an announcement yet. Jessa and Ben, IIRC were engaged in June and married in November. Dumb and Dumber's felt like it went a lot quicker than that. So I assume fall wedding for JinJer. 

Slight correction. Ben moved to the TTH around Mother's Day 2014, but they weren't engaged until mid-August. So, they basically had a whopping 2 1/2 months to plan the wedding, although I bet they had a date and church lined up well before that. After all, "Jessa Seewald" debuted on social media around the time Ben moved in. They knew. Remember how Ben's dad wrote that screed about "marrying young?" It was mere days after that that the engagement happened. 

A friend's mom is Baha'i, and she drinks coffee and tea but not alcohol, so I suspect that caffeine may be a personal choice.

That's the same as my friend's family - they are Baha'i and drink tea and coffee but absolutely frown at the drinking of alcohol.

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

@MamaOdie...Welcome to FJ. And to answer your question, in some  Christian denominations, fasting is encouraged and done regularly. Also, some Christians fast as a personal choice, even if it may not be mandatory in their church. There are many instances of fasting mentioned in the Bible. 

And hold up...the Bates have cameras around their homes to monitor their children??!!?!?! That is so creepy and controlling. 

Yeah they do. It's been mentioned a bunch of times on the threads about them. I can't remember who gave them the idea to use cameras to watch their kids, but it may have been the Duggars. I know they helped finish the addition on the Bateses house a while back (it was shown on the Duggar's show I think.) Boob or Mechelle could have easily suggested it at that point as a way to "protect" the purity of their blessings.

The Bateses are really good at appearing normal and likable, but they're just as controlling and creepy as the Duggars.

On 8/6/2016 at 9:05 AM, nst said:

Then I am predicting early October.

they can combine with an early Halloween and fall feast

My five year wedding anniversary is on October 15th, which just so happens to be on a Saturday this year. So, I'm calling that day. I hope I'm wrong.  :/

9 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

My five year wedding anniversary is on October 15th, which just so happens to be on a Saturday this year. So, I'm calling that day. I hope I'm wrong.  :/

I hope your wrong too- that's my hubby's birthday. It seems to be a popular wedding date this year though- we were given save the dates for two weddings on Oct 15th. Both are for friends of my side of the family so we have decided not to go to either- didn't want to make hubby go to a wedding for people he hardly knows on his birthday. 

13 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

Could be worse. I share a birthday with Ben "Can Barely String Together a Coherent Sentence Even When Speaking About Jebus" Seewald. :pb_lol:

Seriously though, if they do chose that date you'll see it's not really a big deal. :pb_smile:

The caffeine discussion makes me laugh a little, because it has no effect on me. Which really sucks because I'm in grad school and I could really use some kind of (legal) stimulant sometimes. Still though, I'm a little glad that I don't have to deal with the headaches my boyfriend gets when he goes without his morning cup of coffee. 

The Jell-O salads make me glad I'm vegetarian and can politely turn them down. I had no such excuse when I was a kid, but fortunately no one in my family puts that much effort into food. A cake from a grocery store bakery is considered the pinnacle of perfection. They all think I'm weird for cooking and baking. 

8 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I hope your wrong too- that's my hubby's birthday. It seems to be a popular wedding date this year though- we were given save the dates for two weddings on Oct 15th. Both are for friends of my side of the family so we have decided not to go to either- didn't want to make hubby go to a wedding for people he hardly knows on his birthday. 

Correction - it's not a big deal unless you share Joshley's birthday like @Bad Wolfdoes. :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Could be worse. I share a birthday with Ben "Can Barely String Together a Coherent Sentence Even When Speaking About Jebus" Seewald. :pb_lol:

Seriously though, if they do chose that date you'll see it's not really a big deal. :pb_smile:

I know it doesn't matter and won't effect my life or anything. It's still an icky feeling though.  Anna's wedding anniversary is the day before my birthday, if I'm not mistaken. *shudders*

On 8/6/2016 at 11:53 PM, marmalade said:

Slight correction. Ben moved to the TTH around Mother's Day 2014, but they weren't engaged until mid-August. So, they basically had a whopping 2 1/2 months to plan the wedding, although I bet they had a date and church lined up well before that. After all, "Jessa Seewald" debuted on social media around the time Ben moved in. They knew. Remember how Ben's dad wrote that screed about "marrying young?" It was mere days after that that the engagement happened. 

Did the duggarfam ig start following her account as soon as she debuted? I'm wondering if the Jinger Vuolo ig that has no pics or follows is hers and they're just waiting for the right time for the fundie coming out. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived