IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@mstee, if Jeremy was looking for the "perfect" preacher's wife, he should have looked further than an uneducated, uncultured, unsophisticated girl like Jinger. 

I don't know if that would be the problem. For a role that has no Biblical description, churches often expect a lot of a pastor's wife, with little regard for what her spiritual gifts are or how she could best serve the church. As a fellow quiet, introverted person, I found it to be a lonely, depressing, soul-crushing experience, and was so happy when my husband finally quit and got a "normal" job.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, amendgitan said:

Congrats!! Woo hoo! Welcome to the insane world of law! 

I can't say my experience trumps yours, but I have been litigating domestic violence cases for 14 years (my practice is almost 100% family law, which includes a lot of DV cases - I handle cases referred by domestic violence shelters/organizations, among others- guardianships of minor kids, and some juvenile depndency cases which also involve a lot of DV), and I'm not sensing any real similarities. 

But I'm also not sure I've seen all the videos everyone else has and maybe my sensors are just off on this one. Or I don't have enough info. 

I hope not though because it's bad enough that Jinger has been so steadily defeated that she's succumbed to the severe and claustrophobic limits imposed on women by their culture and is now embarking on what's little different than a quickie, arranged marriage. 

I hope abuse isn't added on to that sad life path. 

Thanks! I'm studying for the bar now so if I suddenly disappear and never return you know it's because the studying finally killed me.

I can say that in the three to five years since I started working with and learning about abuse I've developed a really great sense for it (and to be honest I actually think that if people can learn to put aside a lot of our socialized normalization around abusive behavior, many people would have a better natural instinct for it), but you do obviously have experience and expertise on me. No harm in admitting that! Honestly, i find that comforting. I sincerely hope this is one of the times I am wrong! Like I said I can't point to any one thing that made me uncomfortable except his general tone and demeanor, which isn't a lot to go on and could have lots of other explanations. 

I really believe in holding these people accountable for their life choices. Jinger is an adult now and she is choosing to stay with a hateful, toxic cult. I acknowledge of course that she didn't stand much of a chance, but she's still accountable for her choices. That doesn't mean, though, that I want to see more bad befall her or any harm come to her. One of the things I do like about FJ is that we can be (generally) compassionate about where these people started in life and the ways they have been abused or disadvantaged without using those things to excuse their current behavior. I often find other sites or discussions about fundamentalists don't strike the right balance (and don't even get me started on the leghumpers!)

Seriously, you people are exhausting.  Part 3 PLUS a separate wedding planner forum?  Just shoot me.
I'm already riding the PMS White Horse of Death this week, so my demise can't come quickly enough for my taste.  Probably not for family, either.  I MAY or may not have bitten my service dog last night ... 

I was too tired & pissed to post this yesterday. (Mods, please move if you wish.)

Wednesday morning, I had a 7:00 A.M. small business networking meeting, where I had to meet 35-40 new business people whilst sleep-walking.  And as I was signing in on the sheet, this name appeared two rows above mine:

:TRUCDEOUF:                     M________ Chickenetti

I shit you not.  I nearly pissed my pants, trying to stifle the giggles.  So when I looked again, it appears the name was actually:

M_______ ChickETTI  (okay, slightly better, slightly fewer giggles)

=============

Dearest Hubby is being ridiculously verbose this week, despite my verbal and non-verbal pleas to SHUT THE HELL UP!!

So he asked me tonight if my "snarky friends were up to anything."  I grumbled and mumbled, but he kept talking. *sigh*
And asked if you/we were watching TLC's newest show:

My 600-Pound Little People Big Fat 19 Sister Wives.

I refused to let him hear me snicker.  Or to tell him that he probably won the interwebz today.

After all this time being a Duggar "hater" (is there another word for us?), anytime I see the word or name Ginger spelled correctly, I automatically think its misspelled and then I realize I am crazy.  I can't help it,  it just looks wrong now.

11 hours ago, trisprefect said:

Yes, American football is a bit silly. Soccer/football is definitely on the rise here in the US, especially among millennials and younger. I've been watching soccer since I was a kid -- Chelsea is my team, but I always root for Germany in international competitions because I love Germany and that's where my family's ancestors are from. I've noticed that a lot of people start getting into soccer in college, especially if they go somewhere that has international students. Among my group of friends, acquaintances, and family members, I know a surprising number of casual fans and more than a few die hard fans. So there's hope! Give it another 20 years and I can see big things for American soccer. :)

Add in all the developing info we are getting on CTE in the NFL, and I think you will see the NFL face a major decline in the next 20 years, leaving the door open for the expansion of MLS in the US. 

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

JB once said he tasted a beer in his youth. He said he spit it out. Cue eye roll. 

Spoiler

Put that quote up there with trying pot but didn't inhale or I did not have sex with that woman and other funnies

Sorry, didn't mean to put that in as hidden and can't fix

29 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

image.jpeg

I beg to differ here. This looks photoshopped. Isnt that Ursula, as the Ariel-wannabe? She has an evil look, not a submissive meekness. I think this picture is better suited to Jessa and BinBoob. ;)

(and Im pretty sure I effed up this daggone quote box. All the sorries. :(

3 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

That's a little harsh. Jinger strikes me a "curious" and once out of JB's breathing space, I think she will begin to satisfy that curiosity. She will learn sophistication by watching others. None of them have been seen eating w/their fingers & wiping their mouths on their sleeves. The girls seem to know how to behave in public.

Oh good!  There is a title 

Curious Jinger

curiosity killed the Duggars .   Ok, that works for Joshly too.

35 minutes ago, Reading Rambo said:

Add in all the developing info we are getting on CTE in the NFL, and I think you will see the NFL face a major decline in the next 20 years, leaving the door open for the expansion of MLS in the US. 

I think it's regionally, here in the south Football is king, Hockey is on the rise here but it's taken a long time. I don't see Football being overtaken by any other sport. It's a way of life. 

1 hour ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Question - Is Gothard and Presb. fundie the same thing?

We don't know if he follows the super strict Gothard crap.

Maybe he really sees the same spunk we used to.

To the best of my knowledge, Gothard is within the Baptist tradition rather than the Presbyterian tradition.   Also, Gothardism is a cult with specific interpretations and practices that don't always agree with Presbyterian principles.  This doesn't mean that a person brought up Presbyterian couldn't convert to Gothardism.

Someone else who knows more can answer in more detail, the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians that I am acquainted with do not object to education, do not regard women as nothing but helpmeets, and are not predisposed to quiverfulness.

29 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I think it's regionally, here in the south Football is king, Hockey is on the rise here but it's taken a long time. I don't see Football being overtaken by any other sport. It's a way of life. 

Agree. I went to an SEC university and there is nothing like it. People go nuts for football.

4 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

To the best of my knowledge, Gothard is within the Baptist tradition rather than the Presbyterian tradition.   Also, Gothardism is a cult with specific interpretations and practices that don't always agree with Presbyterian principles.  This doesn't mean that a person brought up Presbyterian couldn't convert to Gothardism.

Someone else who knows more can answer in more detail, the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians that I am acquainted with do not object to education, do not regard women as nothing but helpmeets, and are not predisposed to quiverfulness.

I knew a Presbyterian I would describe as fundie, but I got the impression she was a lone wolf among her people. And although I am no longer in contact with her except for following her facebook, I think she eventually went over to the Baptist side of things. If I recall, she had a new baptism and everything.

1 minute ago, EmCatlyn said:

This is correct.  While the fundie-presbies don't have a place for women in the church (or GLBTQ), they aren't cultish like Goddard, just patriarchal.  They would likely believe in educating their daughters--at least in gender approved jobs (like nurse/missionary or teacher/missionary or secretary/missionary) and certainly don't believe in all the creepy Pearl stuff for rearing children.  As far as I know, they are anti-abortion, but not anti-birth control.  They're much more mainstream fundie...which is actually scarier as they live among us, but aren't as easily identifiable!

bahahahaha Gaston. That's great. I'm only referring to him as Gaston from now on. Or is it Jaston?

Jinger should be like..

Spoiler

200.gif

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

According to Zillow, the church is about 2500 square feet. 

Can someone link me to his church's website? I am dumb and can't find it.

3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Can someone link me to his church's website? I am dumb and can't find it.

It's Grace Community Church of Laredo Texas, a church plant of the Grace Community Church of San Antonio.

http://www.gcclaredo.com/

Check the Location tab for a pic and embedded Google map.

In that coloring page that Jeremy made, why are the "N"s backward?  They look like a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.

2 hours ago, Reading Rambo said:

Ooh, that would be interesting to see play out. From a "I'm not interested in sports but have been reading up on head injuries caused by sports" sort of way. A couple months ago I was listening to NPR and they were talking about how a lot of parents won't let their kids play football, and several football players (at the college and pro level) have retired early due to concerns about CTE and concussions. I think some people will clutch to football until their dying breath, but I think all this research coming out and kids not being allowed to play will have a major impact on the future of football.

And then us Americans can start calling football "soccer" like the rest of the world.

I'm not American so just had to google Laredo. Looks like a fun place to be pregnant in every second year.....

laredo.jpg

12 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Ooh, that would be interesting to see play out. From a "I'm not interested in sports but have been reading up on head injuries caused by sports" sort of way. A couple months ago I was listening to NPR and they were talking about how a lot of parents won't let their kids play football, and several football players (at the college and pro level) have retired early due to concerns about CTE and concussions. I think some people will clutch to football until their dying breath, but I think all this research coming out and kids not being allowed to play will have a major impact on the future of football.

And then us Americans can start calling football "soccer" like the rest of the world.

There was a high school by my parents who cut the football team entirely. They put it to vote at an open school board meeting that basically no one except for board members happened to show up at. Then the next day all the parents were outraged even though they were given the chance to speak their minds and vote.

So their homecoming game was soccer. I'm all for it. I watched a 60 minutes about two boys that were in different schools and both had very serious concussions (and/or maybe heat stroke?) in the same summer I think in the same week. One boy was in the hospital and ended up passing away while the other boy lived because his school was richer and had medical professionals on staff in case of emergencies during practices. He said he would never give up football since he almost died for it. Sigh.

Coached youth soccer from ages 3-6 and won regional championship with my 10 year old team. Our state took concussions VERY seriously. Its hell telling an overzealous parent that their child will not be playing without a doc clearing them. 

As I suffer from post-concussion syndrome (2 major ones in 2 years) its nothing to sneeze at. When we moved to the Midwest my son changed from soccer to hockey and damned if we didnt spend a fortune on the helmet with the top safety rating. 

Hubby was born in Germany, so we have tons of their soccer jerseys. Even found a kids medium one from 2011 at the thrift store ($2 new with tags!!) that matches Hubby's. My mother in law sends a new ine every year, I hate the white!! All the FIFA games for 360 on the shelf, you get the idea...

42 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

From a "I'm not interested in sports but have been reading up on head injuries caused by sports" sort of way.

American football and concussions.  Wow, six degrees of Kevin Bacon, do I have a story for you.  Paul Martha is a former NFL star; related by a former marriage; I have stayed at his (former) home.  His demise following at least 10 (who knows for sure) concussions is beyond sad.  Read more here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2009/10/18/Fame-s-aftershock-hits-former-Steeler-Paul-Martha/stories/200910180178

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived