IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

5 minutes ago, anotherone said:

I never had contact with this type (just knew studious nerds). I wouldn't mind hearing some stories what they're like...

I dated one in college. Sort of. He wouldn't commit to actually saying we were an item. 

What he really wanted out of life was a woman who would orbit him as he considered himself to be the sun and worthy of being orbited with non-stop admiration. 

I consider him a bullet dodged. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, anotherone said:

I never had contact with this type (just knew studious nerds). I wouldn't mind hearing some stories what they're like...

HOOOO BUDDY.

It's like a fuckboi but for Jesus, y'all.

The one kid I'm thinking of was dumb as a sack of hair and he was on the soccer team at the high school. He stood up at an awards ceremony and this was his speech: "I just thank God every day I play soccer. You know, I used to be a Catholic but now I'm happy to say I'm a Christian *pause for clapping* I thank God for every goal we score and I know He is proud of us and He's the reason why we made it to the finals this year. He helped out out with every score and we made sure to play in His glory. We asked Him to send us all the way to the finals and this year He granted our prayers!" 

They did a lot of thinly veiled humblebragging. And played a lot of sports and did sportsy manly things like wrestling for the girls to fawn over them. Lots of super violent kickball and capture the flag. They did this weird pressure point thing that made me so mad I started screaming at all of them and they just laughed in my face and called me crazy. They found online the different pressure points and they would take turns pressing them until the other person said stop or they passed out. You know, for the girls.

They were very serious about not giving away heart pieces though. So instead they just strung along 2 or 3 girls at a time and promised each of them that once they got their "heart right" they would settle down with them, but right now they were too sinful to be in a good relationship. I saw that happen a lot. They had accountability partners but I think what that mostly was was just them talking about the girls they thought they were hot. But couched in religious rhetoric. "Susie is making me have lustful thoughts." "Dude I know. Did you see those shorts she was wearing? Someone needs to tell her she is making her brothers in Christ stumble." That is pure speculation though. But, to me, not completely outside the realm of possibility.

40 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

About the pronunciation of his last name--- I hear it and think of (Italian-American) politicians Barbara Buono (ran against Chris Christie in 2013) and Andrew (and his late father Mario) Cuomo (both NY governors).  I assume that his name is pronounced similar to them.

You are spot on. Northern Italians will stress the accent and open that "o" in Vuolo, whereas in the South (of Italy) they will likely pronounce it with a more closed "o" and stress the accent on the "u". 

How the Smuggards will manage to butcher it is another story...

12 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

HOOOO BUDDY.

The one kid I'm thinking of was dumb as a sack of hair and he was on the soccer team at the high school. He stood up at an awards ceremony and this was his speech: "I just thank God every day I play soccer. You know, I used to be a Catholic but now I'm happy to say I'm a Christian *pause for clapping* I thank God for every goal we score and I know He is proud of us and He's the reason why we made it to the finals this year. He helped out out with every score and we made sure to play in His glory. We asked Him to send us all the way to the finals and this year He granted our prayers!" 

Because god had nothing better to do than watch (and fix) college soccer games.

Forgot to add!!!

They never cussed and would talk all the time about how difficult it was and what a struggle because locker rooms make it so easy and they would stumble all the time and yadda yadda can God please grant them the strength to stop dropping f bombs with their players and why couldn't they listen to wholesome rap in the locker room instead of Eminem?

9 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Forgot to add!!!

They never cussed and would talk all the time about how difficult it was and what a struggle because locker rooms make it so easy and they would stumble all the time and yadda yadda can God please grant them the strength to stop dropping f bombs with their players and why couldn't they listen to wholesome rap in the locker room instead of Eminem?

Yep...the struggle of being more Godly than the rest of the basketball team. Very familiar with that song and dance of martyrdom. 

Seriously, a bullet dodged. 

Dude actually married a woman who basically stalked him. When I heard about it, I thought it was perfect. He was always looking for someone to worship him. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Gothard essentially set up a parachurch in the Institute of Basic Principles (IBLP)- so an interdenominational organization rather than a Christian denomination.  In his heyday, when his conferences drew thousands, he was open to converting anyone and everyone - even atheists and nonbelievers.  He developed and solidified his teachings over the years.  

Gothard seems to have attracted more IFB and people falling out of the Fundamentalist bottom of SBC churches, but there are definitely a few Fundie Presbyterians in the mix.  

If the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians you have met so far are like this - then you haven't met any of the former Vision Forum crowd.  Vision Forum was another parachurch organization.

Many of the VF crowd call themselves Presbyterian, Reformed and Calvinist.  Doug Phillips's home church was nominally Reformed Presbyterian and was as QF and patriarchal as hell.  

For other Fundie nominal Presbyterians of that ilk also see R.C. Sproul, jr., Voddie Baucham and Doug Wilson.  Doug Wilson is particularly scary.

The former Vision Forum also spread its wings widely - but the inner circle definitely had cult characteristics.  Many VF followers also follow Pearl teachings and would fall into the Quiverfull bucket too.   And, yes they blend into the rest of the population as looking just evangelical ...

I've learned not to make assumptions or paint with a broad brush.  This is a very complex subject.

Thanks all!

So if he was at Big Sandy with the rest...? What conclusions can we draw?

On June 23, 2016 at 2:44 AM, amendgitan said:

I get the vibe now and then (one of the former republican presidential candidates gives off that stench strongly to me).

Soooo...am I allowed to guess which one? 

6 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Well you know how we Americans butcher pronunciations and "Americanize" everything. 

Example- anyone familiar with the car repair shop Meineke? Here it's pronounced "mine uh kee". But it's a Dutch name and according to my Dutch mother it's supposed to be "Main ih kuh". 

And "bay ner" for Boehner? Nope. It's definitely closer to boner in German, from what I've heard. 

I didn't know Meineke was Dutch. I assumed it was German, and produced as such. Coincidentally, it's spelled similarly to, and rhymes with, my own German last name. Assuming Boehner is also German, according to my high school and college German, it's pronounced correctly. I was taught the rule is, you pronounce the second vowel in a pair. So "Boehner" is "Bayner" with German a/e vowel sound. Kind of like "Weiner"="Whiner."

I think Jeremy's last name is probably pronounced "Vwo-lo" (that's a terrible phonetic rendering, but it works if you sound it out in your head.) The Vuo kind of blurs into one sound.

Of course, I could be totally off base on all of these, and have always been of the opinion that if it's your name you get to decide how to pronounce it. 

19 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Ooh, that would be interesting to see play out. From a "I'm not interested in sports but have been reading up on head injuries caused by sports" sort of way. A couple months ago I was listening to NPR and they were talking about how a lot of parents won't let their kids play football, and several football players (at the college and pro level) have retired early due to concerns about CTE and concussions. I think some people will clutch to football until their dying breath, but I think all this research coming out and kids not being allowed to play will have a major impact on the future of football.

And then us Americans can start calling football "soccer" like the rest of the world.

Except that heading a soccer ball kicked at  ????mph isn't so healthy either.

2 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

HOOOO BUDDY.

Can I just tell you how much I'm loving the phrase "fuckboi for Jesus?" I really need to work this into my regular vocabulary! Sad part is, I can already think of at least two people to use it on. 

47 minutes ago, herpderp said:

Soooo...am I allowed to guess which one? 

Oh...has to be, wow. I was going with Ted Cruz. But then Rand Paul popped into my head, definitely uninvited. Well, in anyway, it'd be irresponsible not to speculate, so I'm going with Rand.  I have no experience or training in abuse. Come on, @amendgitan, put @herpderp and me out of our misery!

26 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

I didn't know Meineke was Dutch. I assumed it was German, and produced as such. Coincidentally, it's spelled similarly to, and rhymes with, my own German last name. Assuming Boehner is also German, according to my high school and college German, it's pronounced correctly. I was taught the rule is, you pronounce the second vowel in a pair. So "Boehner" is "Bayner" with German a/e vowel sound. Kind of like "Weiner"="Whiner."

I think Jeremy's last name is probably pronounced "Vwo-lo" (that's a terrible phonetic rendering, but it works if you sound it out in your head.) The Vuo kind of blurs into one sound.

Of course, I could be totally off base on all of these, and have always been of the opinion that if it's your name you get to decide how to pronounce it. 

You are correct. In German, the ie combination takes on the "ee" sounds. The ei combo sounds like "eye". My last name was mispronounced until I changed it at marriage and now my married name is butchered even more!

I have to be honest. The fact the dad is a Baptist minister makes it hard for me to see them as culturally identifying themselves Italian. I can't get my head around that.

2 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

You are spot on. Northern Italians will stress the accent and open that "o" in Vuolo, whereas in the South (of Italy) they will likely pronounce it with a more closed "o" and stress the accent on the "u". 

How the Smuggards will manage to butcher it is another story...

I predict a segment with various duggars pronouncing the name

4 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Have you read the posts? B/c they come across more leg humperish in many cases. "Oh, she's look so pretty in this, maybe that." Maybe it's me, too much of this. Time for a break, enjoy yourselves!

We sometimes go through times when leg humpers dominate.  Especially on the Duggar and Bates TeeVee threads.

If you need a break pop over to other threads on QoS where your perspective will be much valued. :)

1 hour ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Thanks all!

So if he was at Big Sandy with the rest...? What conclusions can we draw?

Was he at Big Sandy?  

I'll wait until his presence there is documented to speculate.

12 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

<snip>

Was he at Big Sandy?  

I'll wait until his presence there is documented to speculate.

Based on the timing of the second video on Ellie and Lily's Duggar fan blog, a video of Jeremy praying with JB and Jason which they posted for Jason's 16th birthday, and which they apparently celebrated at Big Sandy, I'd say Jeremy's definitely been there with them at least once. Ugh.

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2016/04/michelle-we-thank-god-for-you.html

In the video JB introduced Jeremy as "Voh-lo", which mostly matches how Jeremy introduced himself in the Cribs spoof.

(Apparently the video is unlisted (??), but since I got to it from Lily and Ellie's public blog by google searching "Jeremy Vuolo Big Sandy" I assume that's fine. Weird though.)

He's got the Duggar "read shit off your phone" thing down.  He's going to have to work on talking with his hands so much if he's going to be with the uptight fam.

"I asked you last year..."  Hmmm.... 

Just clicked in 'Vuolo' pronunciation and , to my ears, it sounded like 've - le.' (short e sound). Could be wrong though but that is how it sounded to me.

He talks too much and repeats himself. I would fall asleep if his sermons are like that.

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

Based on the timing of the second video on Ellie and Lily's Duggar fan blog, a video of Jeremy praying with JB and Jason which they posted for Jason's 16th birthday, and which they apparently celebrated at Big Sandy, I'd say Jeremy's definitely been there with them at least once. Ugh.

In the video JB introduced Jeremy as "Voh-lo", which mostly matches how Jeremy introduced himself in the Cribs spoof.

(Apparently the video is unlisted (??), but since I got to it from Lily and Ellie's public blog by google searching "Jeremy Vuolo Big Sandy" I assume that's fine. Weird though.)

This video was the first I saw of Jeremy, and I got a creepy vibe from him.  I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to talk down to his future brother-in-law.

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

How can it be one of his favorite verses if he can't even remember if it's v16 or v17 and he has to read it off his phone? The pastors I have heard speak know their favorite verses (along with many other passages) by heart....  

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived