IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

3 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

I didn't know Meineke was Dutch. I assumed it was German, and produced as such. Coincidentally, it's spelled similarly to, and rhymes with, my own German last name. Assuming Boehner is also German, according to my high school and college German, it's pronounced correctly. I was taught the rule is, you pronounce the second vowel in a pair. So "Boehner" is "Bayner" with German a/e vowel sound. Kind of like "Weiner"="Whiner."

I think Jeremy's last name is probably pronounced "Vwo-lo" (that's a terrible phonetic rendering, but it works if you sound it out in your head.) The Vuo kind of blurs into one sound.

Of course, I could be totally off base on all of these, and have always been of the opinion that if it's your name you get to decide how to pronounce it. 

Well, I didn't know Meienke was German! Apparently it originated there in the North! What do I know. But they definitely have them in Holland. 

My mom's name is Anneke. Pronounced Annika. I have a Danish client named Marlene. Pronounced Marleina! 

I was wrong about Boner! I think my mom pronounced it the Dutch way. But I looked it up and found that only some Americans of german ancestry pronounce it Bayner. Apparently  it's closer to Burner. But hard for non-Germans to say. I also read that Boehner pronounced it boner in the 80's? Ha ha! 

21 hours ago, nini said:

Here is a youtube video of Jeremy Vuolo preaching if anyone is interested. Found it on the church website. 

Ugh. So boring. But he has a definite agenda. Seems he has a hard infor proving his Calvinistic philosophy is correct. 

4 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

HOOOO BUDDY.

It's like a fuckboi but for Jesus, y'all.

The one kid I'm thinking of was dumb as a sack of hair and he was on the soccer team at the high school. He stood up at an awards ceremony and this was his speech: "I just thank God every day I play soccer. You know, I used to be a Catholic but now I'm happy to say I'm a Christian *pause for clapping* I thank God for every goal we score and I know He is proud of us and He's the reason why we made it to the finals this year. He helped out out with every score and we made sure to play in His glory. We asked Him to send us all the way to the finals and this year He granted our prayers!" 

They did a lot of thinly veiled humblebragging. And played a lot of sports and did sportsy manly things like wrestling for the girls to fawn over them. Lots of super violent kickball and capture the flag. They did this weird pressure point thing that made me so mad I started screaming at all of them and they just laughed in my face and called me crazy. They found online the different pressure points and they would take turns pressing them until the other person said stop or they passed out. You know, for the girls.

They were very serious about not giving away heart pieces though. So instead they just strung along 2 or 3 girls at a time and promised each of them that once they got their "heart right" they would settle down with them, but right now they were too sinful to be in a good relationship. I saw that happen a lot. They had accountability partners but I think what that mostly was was just them talking about the girls they thought they were hot. But couched in religious rhetoric. "Susie is making me have lustful thoughts." "Dude I know. Did you see those shorts she was wearing? Someone needs to tell her she is making her brothers in Christ stumble." That is pure speculation though. But, to me, not completely outside the realm of possibility.

So gross. 

3 hours ago, herpderp said:

Soooo...am I allowed to guess which one? 

Why not. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Well, I didn't know Meienke was German! Apparently it originated there in the North! What do I know. But they definitely have them in Holland. 

My mom's name is Anneke. Pronounced Annika. I have a Danish client named Marlene. Pronounced Marleina! 

I was wrong about Boner! I think my mom pronounced it the Dutch way. But I looked it up and found that only some Americans of german ancestry pronounce it Bayner. Apparently  it's closer to Burner. But hard for non-Germans to say. I also read that Boehner pronounced it boner in the 80's? Ha ha! 

Ok, I'm a huge language nerd, so this stuff  fascinates me. Names like Meineke that end in "ke" probably originally were pronounced "ka." Somewhere in translation, possibly upon immigration, things got sloppy, spellings may have altered somewhat, and that "ka" sound is now "key."

Same with your mother's name. It's pronounced the same in German as in Dutch, with a soft a at the end. I think it's a really pretty name, too. The name Marlene works the same--the final "e" functions as a soft "a," which I think is a nice way to pronounce it. 

Boehner may originally have had an umlaut (two dots) over the e, which would have flattened its sound, giving the pronounciation you mention, which does kind of sound like "Burner." I didn't even think of that earlier. 

Now that I've bored everyone to tears, back to Jinger and her metrosexual fuckboi for Jesus. 

Keep your gaze fixed upon Christ... Until an immodestly dressed woman enters the room. At which point, Keep your gazed fixed upon your Nikes.

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I live in an area where Presbyterians are not as common as Baptists, so yeah, my exposure to fundie-ism is mostly through Baptists.   I have heard of Vision Forum in the media and here but have never met anyone who participated in it to my knowledge.   I didn't even know it had fundie-presby roots.

Agreed that the subject of fundie movements and cults is complex and complicated.  Further, any "assumptions" we make about a group may not be true of everyone in the group.   

Just want to clarify that Voddie is Baptist, not Presbyterian. Sorry, @Palimpsest ;-)

Page 13 and there hasn't even been an episode of the guy. We'll have Jinger and Jeremy threads part 10 by the time they get married.

1 hour ago, Purrl said:

How can it be one of his favorite verses if he can't even remember if it's v16 or v17 and he has to read it off his phone? The pastors I have heard speak know their favorite verses (along with many other passages) by heart....  

He's not been a pastor that long.  To be fair, it is a fairly involved quotation and he may find the ideas compelling (the mirror that shows us the reflection of the glory of the Lord) but not remember it word for word.   Also, the confusion about the verse number is just that he wasn't sure where to begin.  If he had begun with verse 16, he would have mentioned the veil which, when removed, lets the heart see clearly.  It enhances the point about seeing the glory of God as through a mirror (because we cannot, as mere mortals, see it directly).  But verse 16 alludes to the Israelites and Moses in the previous verses... So to make any sense of the passage, you really should start with verse 12.  And that's a long quote.  (I only know this because I looked 2 Corinthians 3 up on Biblehub.)

What I want to snark about is the choice of that quote for a birthday "thought."   I mean really??  What useful message can a 16-year-old get from a quote that he may not understand?  Do the Duggars even know that  "we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord," means "Christian can now uncover ther faces from the veil that Moses put on the Israelites and look at the glory of God as if through a mirror"?  How is an out of context quote of any use without discussion or interpretation?

I will give Pastor Jeremy the benefit of the doubt and assume he does understand the full passage and that it has meaning to him.  But why does he assume that Jason understands and can learn from the quote without some explication?

Some of these fundies quote scripture in the same mindless way that Jessa cooks. 

Wandering back here to the already bored-to-tears courtshit thread.....

Because as I was searching wildly for fresh FJ entertainment, God answered my prayers with the Doug Phillips Is a Tool VF thread.

Holy Short Man Syndrome much, Batman???:wow:

The canine headship & DH are both pissed at the inevitable asthma attack that ensued.  But since my fingernails are no longer blue, I can now say it was worth it.

Suffice it to say -- If I ever decide to unleash the hounds of hell on someone, I'm calling all of you FJ folk to the task.

For my personal safety, must sign off for tonight. Looking forward to tomorrow's dose of snark. :D

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

He's got the Duggar "read shit off your phone" thing down.  He's going to have to work on talking with his hands so much if he's going to be with the uptight fam.

"I asked you last year..."  Hmmm.... 

That part had me wondering as well.

I think it's crazy how you can tell which couples are good match and which ones are not (or is it all just imagination?).

I think the best match so far are Derick and Jill , Erin and Chad. And if Ben wasn't so young, then Ben and Jessa, although I would have thought he would be a better match with Joy (not just because of age).

But Jinger and this guy seem like a complete mismatch. I'm starting to wonder was there something in their past , a common thing, that drew them to each other? They both seem to have a "strong" testimony with a lot of guilt and burden. And they both seem to be into ministry (Jinger works as a women's prison, is she still doing that?). So I kind of see why they would think they are a good match, but they just seem so extremely uncomfortable with each other (even more than Jessa and Ben in the beginning).

Erin and Chad seem to work well. Jessa and Ben, I can't even comment. You can tell the bloom is off the rose for them. I'm not sure about Jill and Derick. They may be happy as a grifting couple.

Time will only tell for Jinger and Jeremy. I hope they don't end up like Jessa and Ben and can at least be happy together.

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

But Jinger and this guy seem like a complete mismatch. I'm starting to wonder was there something in their past , a common thing, that drew them to each other? They both seem to have a "strong" testimony with a lot of guilt and burden. And they both seem to be into ministry (Jinger works as a women's prison, is she still doing that?). So I kind of see why they would think they are a good match, but they just seem so extremely uncomfortable with each other (even more than Jessa and Ben in the beginning).

I think so, too. They share something very personal and might have been sharing stories and "testemonies" as well. Unfortunately my good freejinger upbringing does not allow me to comment on this any further (as it would be against the house rules) and for now I just can say that I wish them the best and maybe their relationship can be based on their "common ground" and a deep and understanding friendship. 

They have to get used to each other and for now they are expected to concentrate on a non-romantic/non-physical side of their relationship, maybe that is why they look like kittens on a calender.

6 minutes ago, rosastrohhut said:

Unfortunately my good freejinger upbringing does not allow me to comment on this any further (as it would be against the house rules) and for now I just can say that I wish them the best and maybe their relationship can be based on their "common ground" and a deep and understanding friendship.

What do you mean? Now I'm curious! Do you the molestation? Are we not allowed to mention it?

6 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Just want to clarify that Voddie is Baptist, not Presbyterian. Sorry, @Palimpsest ;-)

Ooops!  Noted.  Thanks for the correction. :)

But it proves my point that Vision Forum was a parachurch and attracted Baptists as well as Presbyterians (of various flavors in each denomination.)

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

What do you mean? Now I'm curious! Do you the molestation? Are we not allowed to mention it?

If that is what @rosastrohhutmeans:

We can discuss the molestation scandal. We can not, however, discuss the identity of the unidentified fifth victim nor speculate on the identity of additional victims outside the five mentioned in the reports. 

The police reports have made it very clear that four of the victims were related to Josh. Two of those victims - Jill and Jessa - stepped forward to be publicly identified.

The reports have also made it clear which relative was not molested - however, some members here feel it is inappropriate to discuss which two of the then born Duggar girls were victimized. I don't agree with that because the information is publicly out there for anyone looking for it... But out of respect for those posters and for the remaining victims who have not stepped forward (likely due to not being married when the scandal broke) I have started to refrain from mentioning my thoughts here.

If she was referring to a person's sexual orientation, then that's a bit different. Jeremy lives on his own and isn't at the mercy of his parents, so speculation regarding him is likely ok (I still don't like it, so I don't participate in that specific discussion.) The rule regarding that topic does protect any adult child still living at home with their parents though, so speculation reaching further than that isn't allowed.

9 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ok, I'm a huge language nerd, so this stuff  fascinates me. Names like Meineke that end in "ke" probably originally were pronounced "ka." Somewhere in translation, possibly upon immigration, things got sloppy, spellings may have altered somewhat, and that "ka" sound is now "key."

Same with your mother's name. It's pronounced the same in German as in Dutch, with a soft a at the end. I think it's a really pretty name, too. The name Marlene works the same--the final "e" functions as a soft "a," which I think is a nice way to pronounce it. 

Boehner may originally have had an umlaut (two dots) over the e, which would have flattened its sound, giving the pronounciation you mention, which does kind of sound like "Burner." I didn't even think of that earlier. 

Now that I've bored everyone to tears, back to Jinger and her metrosexual fuckboi for Jesus. 

hi, i'm German. I would say Boehner was Böhner . We don't have "Umlaut" with e. but yeah Boehner sounds like Burner. :-) 

There are three Umlaute in the German language:

ö = oe  ä = ae and , ü=ue 

15 hours ago, freethemall said:

Also, I think you can be wedding obsessed and in a different way than these fundies are - you can love the details and the idea of throwing the biggest party of your life, without seeing it as this penultimate JESUS moment where the woman is being transferred from one headship to another. I for one live for weddings, but I certainly don't live for fundamentalist patriarchy and misogyny!

It's me. I don't enjoy wedding details, never have. And I also loathe baby showers, well, any showers really. Stupid games.

OT, but I have been rewatching Big Love, which is on HBO Free On Demand. Nicki Grant wears the most fabulous modest/prairie outfits, right down to perfect belts and boots. I appreciate her look more due to all I have learned here.

12 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

Oh...has to be, wow. I was going with Ted Cruz. But then Rand Paul popped into my head, definitely uninvited. Well, in anyway, it'd be irresponsible not to speculate, so I'm going with Rand.  I have no experience or training in abuse. Come on, @amendgitan, put @herpderp and me out of our misery!

My first thought was also Cruz, but isn't it awful that there were at least two possibilities actually running for president?

12 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I predict a segment with various duggars pronouncing the name

I shake my head at how sheltered they are. Are there really no Italians in Arkansas? Or maybe I can do the Italian names b/c of my twelve years in Catholic schools. 

2 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

My first thought was also Cruz, but isn't it awful that there were at least two possibilities actually running for president?

The shit Cruz had to put up with was kind of hilarious. He got mocked with the Lyin' Ted moniker, people joked he was the Zodiac Killer, Lindsey Graham bitched about his abilities, and besides his supporters, he was universally despised by politicians and civilians alike.

I to everyone after a week just reading you i finaly decide to come in. Have you senza the photo shoot of JinJer on the Duggar Family blog? They just don't seems so in love for me... Well i guess the time will tell

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, ksgranola1 said:

maybe Jinger will start spelling her name right once she leaves & cleaves. If for nothing else but to not have to explain it to everyone she meets.

I always pronounced her name as "rhymes with Ringer" in my head when reading it, but I found it  funny that when I started seeing the new couple's name "JinJer " all of a sudden I was pronouncing it correctly.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:30 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

Thanks! I'm studying for the bar now so if I suddenly disappear and never return you know it's because the studying finally killed me.

I can say that in the three to five years since I started working with and learning about abuse I've developed a really great sense for it (and to be honest I actually think that if people can learn to put aside a lot of our socialized normalization around abusive behavior, many people would have a better natural instinct for it), but you do obviously have experience and expertise on me. No harm in admitting that! Honestly, i find that comforting. I sincerely hope this is one of the times I am wrong! Like I said I can't point to any one thing that made me uncomfortable except his general tone and demeanor, which isn't a lot to go on and could have lots of other explanations. 

Often there are actual concrete reasons for making such judgments, like certain facial expressions.  Christopher Walken is a good example of a being able to do a big smile but where it doesn't reach his eyes so you know right away he's the bad guy.  Billy Bob Thorton seemed to do that too. You feel it's not genuine and are suspicious something else is behind it.  On the other hand you could have a tattooed tough guy biker who is laughing but he throws his head back, his eyes are kind of squinting with the laugh, then he can look grandfatherly. 

I didn't see the preaching video but in the tour of the house one, even though he was joking there was this intensity in his face that made him seem real high strung.  That could mean absolutely nothing of course but I was trying to pinpoint exactly what I saw that may have made him seem "off" to others.

I just watched the birthday video and what jumped out to me is just how much Jeremy sounded like Priscilla Keller Waller. He used inflection exactly like Pris when he was empahsizing words. 

IE. Jason, just keep your eyes on the Lord and guhlORRIFFFY him in alllll you do and the light will reflect back on YUHUUUU. My charge to you is to never lose your focus on THUHHH Lord and you shall honERR and praise him. 

Poor Jason, stuck smack dab in the middle of those two blow hards. I didn't care for what I perceived as Jeremy's condescending attitude towards Jason either. It was also obvious to me that Boob is enamored with Jeremy. I am now in the 'Boob chose Jeremy for Jinger' camp...that he played matchmaker. 

1 hour ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I shake my head at how sheltered they are. Are there really no Italians in Arkansas? Or maybe I can do the Italian names b/c of my twelve years in Catholic schools. 

My guess is Cruz all the way. Rand Paul never struck me as that type at all. But the depths of hatred Ted Cruz's daughter has for him sets off major alarm bells. I don't necessarily think he's a pedophile or whatever, but I'm convinced that he's abusive in some way. 

13 minutes ago, herpderp said:

My guess is Cruz all the way. Rand Paul never struck me as that type at all. But the depths of hatred Ted Cruz's daughter has for him sets off major alarm bells. I don't necessarily think he's a pedophile or whatever, but I'm convinced that he's abusive in some way. 

I never heard that Cruz's daughter hated him....isn't she pretty young? Did you read about this?

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

Often there are actual concrete reasons for making such judgments, like certain facial expressions.  Christopher Walken is a good example of a being able to do a big smile but where it doesn't reach his eyes so you know right away he's the bad guy.  Billy Bob Thorton seemed to do that too. You feel it's not genuine and are suspicious something else is behind it.  On the other hand you could have a tattooed tough guy biker who is laughing but he throws his head back, his eyes are kind of squinting with the laugh, then he can look grandfatherly. 

I didn't see the preaching video but in the tour of the house one, even though he was joking there was this intensity in his face that made him seem real high strung.  That could mean absolutely nothing of course but I was trying to pinpoint exactly what I saw that may have made him seem "off" to others.

I would say if I had to articulate it that his tone and diction felt controlled in a way that reminds me of highly aware abusive people I have known. The kind of people who are aware that their controlling or manipulative behaviors wouldn't sit well with the general public so they often get in a habit of controlled, tight speech patterns even when they aren't angry or aren't addressing a target of their abuse. 

But the reason I am so cautious to make any distinct predictions like that is because I know that those speech patterns have other causes, some of which are totally innocuous or private, like you said he could just be very high strung or intense as a person. Someone said above he reminds them of Pris, which makes sense as well since IBLP has clearly caused her to repress a lot of her instincts and personality, and that kind of repression can also cause an unnatural speech pattern issue. 

When I combine that sort of speech pattern with a harder to articulate "bad vibe" I get from him, I'm cautious for Jinger. But I hope that I am wrong and that she is happy.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived