IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

30 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I never heard that Cruz's daughter hated him....isn't she pretty young? Did you read about this?

Oh boy! Just google Caroline Cruz. Multiple videos of her literally running from him, yelling at him, shoving him away, giving him disgusted looks, etc. If it happened once or twice, probably no one would care, but she acts that way in literally every. single. interaction. with her dad. :pb_confused: And she's only 7, so we can't exactly write it off as teen angst, either. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been having this thread active on my phone since the news of the courtship. As a Swede (Sweden is one of the most secular countries in the world) the whole fundie thing is so får away from anything I've encountered. There are fundies here too,  but since home schooling isn't allowed and state individualism is the norm, the ideas, values and effects of fundamentalism are very odd to me.

I am really thankful for Free Jinger så all of you have given me context to the reality shows and social media as well as a deeper insight Into the concequences of fundamentalism.

15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I predict a segment with various duggars pronouncing the name

Spot on. Absolutely going to happen!!

14 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Based on the timing of the second video on Ellie and Lily's Duggar fan blog, a video of Jeremy praying with JB and Jason which they posted for Jason's 16th birthday, and which they apparently celebrated at Big Sandy, I'd say Jeremy's definitely been there with them at least once. Ugh.

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2016/04/michelle-we-thank-god-for-you.html

In the video JB introduced Jeremy as "Voh-lo", which mostly matches how Jeremy introduced himself in the Cribs spoof.

(Apparently the video is unlisted (??), but since I got to it from Lily and Ellie's public blog by google searching "Jeremy Vuolo Big Sandy" I assume that's fine. Weird though.)

This is just so gross. And as someone else said awkward. Do they ever take a rest from the preaching? They work so hard to convince themselves and to keep up the brainwashing. Poor Jason, between those two lugs having to listen to that crap. He looked like a 12 year old. But the two creeps he was sandwiched between, oy vey. 

There's something so insincere about fundies to me. They can have an insane political zeal about their beliefs (Michelle is that way to me), but every act, every statement is totally controlled and prepared in order to create a certain impression. It's all acting. It's all uncomfortable. It's all so weird. 

Dont they just get tired ever an just want to be normal and do or say something that doesn't have to do with convincing themselves or others that they are pious Chrisians and that there's a God that agrees with their life view? 

13 hours ago, Ralar said:

This video was the first I saw of Jeremy, and I got a creepy vibe from him.  I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to talk down to his future brother-in-law.

Ok. I still didn't get a specific creepy vibe from him other than the specific creepy vibe I get from all these maniacs. Both he and JB emit the same noxious odor to me- paternalistic, arrogant, condescending and obsessed with appearances and controlling women's reproduction and keeping them in their place. 

12 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ok, I'm a huge language nerd, so this stuff  fascinates me. Names like Meineke that end in "ke" probably originally were pronounced "ka." Somewhere in translation, possibly upon immigration, things got sloppy, spellings may have altered somewhat, and that "ka" sound is now "key."

Same with your mother's name. It's pronounced the same in German as in Dutch, with a soft a at the end. I think it's a really pretty name, too. The name Marlene works the same--the final "e" functions as a soft "a," which I think is a nice way to pronounce it. 

Boehner may originally have had an umlaut (two dots) over the e, which would have flattened its sound, giving the pronounciation you mention, which does kind of sound like "Burner." I didn't even think of that earlier. 

Now that I've bored everyone to tears, back to Jinger and her metrosexual fuckboi for Jesus. 

I'm fascinated by that stuff too but I never studied it at all! But I like to read about it. I'm always curious about how language changes over time and how accents flow in certain regions and how they developed. 

There are some really fun sites you can go to that allow you to listen to clips of accents or parts of speech like Geechee or Okracoke (which is an isolated dialect that has a serious connection to how some of our ancestor immigrants spoke, with some Eliizabethan words and phrases).  I like stuff like reading about how the Jackie Kennedy mid-Atlantic accent was not a natural one but instead was one taught in school to rich kids in the past. So fun!

3 hours ago, season of life said:

The shit Cruz had to put up with was kind of hilarious. He got mocked with the Lyin' Ted moniker, people joked he was the Zodiac Killer, Lindsey Graham bitched about his abilities, and besides his supporters, he was universally despised by politicians and civilians alike.

He really has been a target. This one is super funny. Cracks me up. 

16 minutes ago, herpderp said:

Oh boy! Just google Caroline Cruz. Multiple videos of her literally running from him, yelling at him, shoving him away, giving him disgusted looks, etc. If it happened once or twice, probably no one would care, but she acts that way in literally every. single. interaction. with her dad. :pb_confused: And she's only 7, so we can't exactly write it off as teen angst, either. 

Thank you. I had no idea. He creeped me out at first glance, but I did not know this.

Any of the ones that blather on about God while running for office get on my nerves. Please mention prayer if you are President and responding to a horrible event like Orlando, but after that remember we have separation of Church and State here in the US and stifle yourself. Don't say that God wants you to do this or that when in office or other nonsense. 

That is sad about the daughter. There must be a reason, truly, for her to do that in public. Weird. Hopefully he is just ridiculously strict or makes the girls pray their brains out and is not abusive physically or sexually. Wow. 

1 hour ago, amendgitan said:

This is just so gross. And as someone else said awkward. Do they ever take a rest from the preaching? They work so hard to convince themselves and to keep up the brainwashing. Poor Jason, between those two lugs having to listen to that crap. He looked like a 12 year old. But the two creeps he was sandwiched between, oy vey. 

There's something so insincere about fundies to me. They can have an insane political zeal about their beliefs (Michelle is that way to me), but every act, every statement is totally controlled and prepared in order to create a certain impression. It's all acting. It's all uncomfortable. It's all so weird. 

Dont they just get tired ever an just want to be normal and do or say something that doesn't have to do with convincing themselves or others that they are pious Chrisians and that there's a God that agrees with their life view?

No, they never stop preaching. Their world is like a hot-air balloon. If they ever stop preaching and filling it with hot-air, the balloon and their world will collapse around them.

50 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I never heard that Cruz's daughter hated him....isn't she pretty young? Did you read about this?

During his campaign, he tried to give her a kiss and she freaked out. With the press there, of course. I remember that, but not sure if the kid hates him or is just a brat who freaks out whenever she pleases (I have a little neighbor like this.) 

The press has such a talent for manipulating the facts, is one reason I hesitate. Also, an incestuous pedophile is so horrible.  

With that, of course I already said his was the first name that popped into my head.

22 minutes ago, herpderp said:

I had only heard of the one, didn't realize it was so many times.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, ClaraOswin said:

I thought the same thing. Then I got to thinking and I'm pretty sure my husband (of 10 years) and I would probably look the same on video. We are just awkward people.

Maybe not.  There's a certain way people look when they're together that makes it seem like they're interacting.  In the photos these two are never looking at each other, except in one photo where Jinger is looking up at him (the Gaston one), but even in that one he's not looking back at her. 

I'll bet in your video you are looking at each other a lot, even for a brief second.

1 hour ago, herpderp said:

I hadn't heard this before, so I just goggled caroline cruz.  And I see much more a little girl who does not want to be there than necessarily "hates her dad".  I'm not saying Cruz isn't creepy, but 7 is an age when kids don't really understand promoting an image (whereas teenagers might just not care).  I think she's mad at her parents for dragging her out on stage and reacting to that.  That opinion may be colored by the fact that I found this first:  http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/i-was-a-politicians-daughter-so-im-backing-young-caroline-cruz/

I'm not saying it's impossible she was or is abused, but the fact that she is openly and publicly defiant means that she hasn't had all the will and free thought trained out of her like other children we know about. 

58 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Thank you. I had no idea. He creeped me out at first glance, but I did not know this.

Any of the ones that blather on about God while running for office get on my nerves. Please mention prayer if you are President and responding to a horrible event like Orlando, but after that remember we have separation of Church and State here in the US and stifle yourself. Don't say that God wants you to do this or that when in office or other nonsense. 

That is sad about the daughter. There must be a reason, truly, for her to do that in public. Weird. Hopefully he is just ridiculously strict or makes the girls pray their brains out and is not abusive physically or sexually. Wow. 

She could just be what my mother sweetly calls a "lively" child! http://theslot.jezebel.com/watch-ted-cruzs-tiny-daughters-attempt-to-make-daddy-ap-1770931932

But there's so much awkward fodder. Hilarious stuff: 

Oh, come on, you guys. Ted Cruz is an arrogant dickweed, but there is no basis to hint or even imply he is an abusive pedophile. He tried to give his daughter a kiss and like any kid, she was grossed out and moved away. Maybe she didn't want to be embarrassed by her dad in front of all those people. I did stuff like that all the time around my own parents. I vividly recall him not supporting the idea of drafting women because he had no desire to put his daughters in the same situation as deployed male soldiers (and probably because he wanted to pander to sexists who hate the idea of female servicemembers).

i retry to see jer video's but his so boring....i can even tollerate to listen him for 2 minutes in a row, if this id the way he teach his sermons i can't understand how he could still have parishioners

20 minutes ago, season of life said:

Oh, come on, you guys. Ted Cruz is an arrogant dickweed, but there is no basis to hint or even imply he is an abusive pedophile. He tried to give his daughter a kiss and like any kid, she was grossed out and moved away. Maybe she didn't want to be embarrassed by her dad in front of all those people. I did stuff like that all the time around my own parents. I vividly recall him not supporting the idea of drafting women because he had no desire to put his daughters in the same situation as deployed male soldiers (and probably because he wanted to pander to sexists who hate the idea of female servicemembers).

Agreed. I think if she was being abused she wouldn't fight back like that in public. 

11 minutes ago, carebaer said:

I hadn't heard this before, so I just goggled caroline cruz.  And I see much more a little girl who does not want to be there than necessarily "hates her dad".  I'm not saying Cruz isn't creepy, but 7 is an age when kids don't really understand promoting an image (whereas teenagers might just not care).  I think she's mad at her parents for dragging her out on stage and reacting to that.  That opinion may be colored by the fact that I found this first:  http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/i-was-a-politicians-daughter-so-im-backing-young-caroline-cruz/

I'm not saying it's impossible she was or is abused, but the fact that she is openly and publicly defiant means that she hasn't had all the will and free thought trained out of her like other children we know about. 

I have major problems with Cruz's views--especially his anti-choice position--but I tend to feel that he has been given a rough time by the press and certain elements of the public.

I agree that Caroline Cruz seems more bratty and annoyed to be on display than abused. Typically, abused kids don't run from their abusers or do anything that will displease them.

When I was about that age, my parents hired a photographer to record my first-communion party. (This was usual where we were living at the time.) In almost all the pictures I am sulking, moping or trying to get away from posing for the camera to play with my friends.   That didn't mean I hated my family or wasn't excited by my first communion. It meant I was sleep-deprived (I had had trouble sleeping because I'd been so excited), my dress itched, and I wanted to play instead of pose.

Seven-year-olds who haven't had their personality suppressed may sometimes annoy and embarrass their parents in public.  My son, who suffered from oppositional defiant disorder, was extremely affectionate when you didn't ask for affection but would pull away if you tried to grab and kiss him without it being his idea. 

Whatever else may be wrong with Cruz, his daughter's behavior does not suggest that he is an abuser.

So for serious .... Do fundie fathers/families routinely question prospective mates on their sexual past or is this a don't ask don't tell situation, so long as the couple hasn't done anything between them? Has any fundie family ever gone into discussion about this? I really wonder how they rationalize purity in a 'born again virgin' type situation. 

On 6/23/2016 at 5:56 PM, frugaldreams said:

He kind reminds me of Gaston.

THAT'S IT!!!!:boom:  Excuse the shouting, but I couldn't put my finger on it, until I read your post and realized, he is GASTON!!!! 

1 hour ago, carebaer said:

I looked her up too and totally agree. I seriously side eye them as parents that they dragged their children all over the campaign trail like they did. To me Caroline's body language is more that she's intensely uncomfortable, not hateful. There's a picture of her in a red dress at a rally and wringing her hands and staring off into the distance with this freaked out expression and I swear it makes every maternal cell in my body start tingling. I want to swoop in and take her back home and tuck her into bed with a bowl of ice cream and a Disney movie. 

I can't speak to how they discipline their daughters but I think it's sad that their utility as props obviously comes before meeting their needs as people. Actual family oriented people wouldn't have put a kindergartener and a second grader through that.

20 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

So for serious .... Do fundie fathers/families routinely question prospective mates on their sexual past or is this a don't ask don't tell situation, so long as the couple hasn't done anything between them? Has any fundie family ever gone into discussion about this? I really wonder how they rationalize purity in a 'born again virgin' type situation. 

Since the born-again bunch claim that, once you turn to Christ, all is forgiven and you are saved, it would seem that past history would only be useful to reveal areas of temptation.  (That is, if booze was/could be your downfall, or drugs, or stealing from orphans, etc.) Even with a woman, the only concern should be if Jesus has saved, not if one was always "pure."

There is no such thing as a "born again virgin," just as (barring a blow to the head that causes amnesia) there is no such thing as "born again ignorance."  However, "purity" may be recovered (according to Pauline teachings) through abstention, prayer and faith.  So in theory you can sow your wild oats and return to purity through repentance and changed behavior.  You should be truly repentant and feel "broken" before the Lord.  Then you are born again in Christ.   And you can be pure from that point on, even if not a virgin.  This is the sort of thing that Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian leaders addressed in their writings throughout the nineteenth century.  It seems to be what the Duggars and their ilk believe.

Of course, what fundies say and what fundies do are two different things.  I am going to guess that for someone like JB a man's "sinful past" only confirms his manhood, while a woman, once fallen, is never going to get right back up there on the pedestal of desirability Fundies are stuck on the double-standard, and a Jessa or Jinger will be held more culpable for her "transgressions" than a Josh or Jeremy.

(I may be wrong, but isn't part of Daniel Keller's quarrel with his parents that they did not welcome his wife, whose past was not pure enough, even though she had "found Jesus"?)

In short, I bet men (but not women) are questioned about their past sins and temptations and part of being accepted as a suitor is to satisfy the girl's father that you are not going to fall into sin again, that you got the "bad" out of your system and are ready to play your "godly husband" role.  

3 hours ago, amendgitan said:

I wondered about this too. It's like they are always "on."  EVERYTHING is about Jesus and God. Non-stop. All day, every day. I just can't even imagine a life like that.

4 hours ago, herpderp said:

My guess is Cruz all the way. Rand Paul never struck me as that type at all. But the depths of hatred Ted Cruz's daughter has for him sets off major alarm bells. I don't necessarily think he's a pedophile or whatever, but I'm convinced that he's abusive in some way. 

As other posters have said, abused kids don't show hate in public. Toddlers may do, but not a 7 years old. That girl may be extremely shy or extremely brat or maybe she has some mental issues, who knows. But an abused 7 years old is too terrified to misbehave.

I'm on the side of Ted Cruz being a shifty toad, but the fact that his daughter is able to act like a brat and express unapproved emotions makes me think that abuse is unlikely. That said, my opinion is based on my own childhood, which featured a hell of a lot of emotional abuse, neglect and sometimes physical abuse. I had learned by the age of three or four never to step out of line, never to say or do anything that was contrary to the image my parents wanted me to project. My mother even made me practice smiling with my eyes and how to wave at people 'correctly'. My father was a huge fan of one particular politician, and I remember the political rallies when I was about six. My father dragged me out on stage, and I did exactly as I was told and preformed like a proper little circus monkey, so much so that the politician invited me and my father to go to other rallies in nearby towns (father was thrilled, and I remember feeling terrified and so stressed that I couldn't eat). Politician was amazed at how I took direction and how well behaved I was, but it never seemed to occur to anyone why I was so on point.

I think Caroline Cruz is a spunky kid who isn't cut out for being paraded on stage like a trained monkey by her father.  I hope she grows up to be a liberal activist.

She's the same age as Sasha Obama was when her father ran the first time around.  Sasha and Malia made a few public appearances at their father's events but for the most part were allowed to be normal kids.  I know Ted Cruz despises President Obama, but should have taken a page out of his playbook when it came to campaigning for POTUS with young children.

I suppose they would think that any sexual transgressions were the fault of immodest harlots and not the man anyway.... If nothing else, at least Jinger has a shot at having a husband who won't eat her face trying to kiss her. 

I wonder if this discussion is one that Jinger/Jeremy would have or that JB and Mechelle would consider 'too stimulating'....

53 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I wonder if this discussion is one that Jinger/Jeremy would have or that JB and Mechelle would consider 'too stimulating'....

Remember when the producer asked Anna and Josh if they googled how to kiss? And Anna asked, "Oh, they have that?"

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived