IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

5 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

So he designs coloring pages?  Any of the colorists going to take a stab at this? :D

There is an awful lot of sperm in this illustration by Mr. Vuolo. I'm guessing it was drawn when he was sliding around in the pits of lust?
I'm feeling honored that I was quoted in the Inquisitr article. That being said, I'm chronically behind on rent/bills, where's my check?

With Jeremy being Eye-talian, does anybody else wonder if he'll correct Boob's pronunciation?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sophie10130 said:

There was a high school by my parents who cut the football team entirely. They put it to vote at an open school board meeting that basically no one except for board members happened to show up at. Then the next day all the parents were outraged even though they were given the chance to speak their minds and vote.

So their homecoming game was soccer. I'm all for it. I watched a 60 minutes about two boys that were in different schools and both had very serious concussions (and/or maybe heat stroke?) in the same summer I think in the same week. One boy was in the hospital and ended up passing away while the other boy lived because his school was richer and had medical professionals on staff in case of emergencies during practices. He said he would never give up football since he almost died for it. Sigh.

Oh wow, they actually cut the football team? Damn. And yeah if the parents really cared they should have showed up. I heard about a high school football player dying from a concussion. It's unbelievably tragic. I can't imagine how the kid who tackled him must feel. It's a freak accident that no one ever could have predicted, but that must have been so traumatic. And that kid who survived but insists on playing BECAUSE he almost died?  Idiot!!! Someone needs to talk sense into that kid.That's exactly why you give it up! And his next concussion is likely to be worse.

47 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

American football and concussions.  Wow, six degrees of Kevin Bacon, do I have a story for you.  Paul Martha is a former NFL star; related by a former marriage; I have stayed at his (former) home.  His demise following at least 10 (who knows for sure) concussions is beyond sad.  Read more here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2009/10/18/Fame-s-aftershock-hits-former-Steeler-Paul-Martha/stories/200910180178

Oh wow!! Crazy connection there. And yeah, the NFL used to just not recognize concussions as a serious injury at all and kind of ignored them. It's basically impossible to know how many concussions former players suffered. I've been reading about Mike Webster, also a former Steelers player, whose autopsy lead to the discovery of CTE. There has been a lot of progress in recognizing how awful head injuries are, but there is still a long way to go.

10 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Oh wow, they actually cut the football team? Damn. And yeah if the parents really cared they should have showed up. I heard about a high school football player dying from a concussion. It's unbelievably tragic. I can't imagine how the kid who tackled him must feel. It's a freak accident that no one ever could have predicted, but that must have been so traumatic. And that kid who survived but insists on playing BECAUSE he almost died?  Idiot!!! Someone needs to talk sense into that kid.That's exactly why you give it up! And his next concussion is likely to be worse.

From what I understand, the school was small and the players were getting absolutely creamed and weren't very good anyway.

I've also seen some people discuss that it's worse with high school boys than even NFL not because they are stronger or anything, but because they have that sense of "Superman." That they can never get hurt. NFL players know how to tackle intelligently with the least damage to their bodies whereas a 17 year old just hits as hard as he can no matter what. That's EXACTLY what that kid has-- a Superman Complex. It's why we all did stupid shit when we were younger that would scare the bejebus out of us now. I'm sure he will look back on that in ten years and think "How fucking stupid..."

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I'm not American so just had to google Laredo. Looks like a fun place to be pregnant in every second year.....

laredo.jpg

well Jinger is from Arkansas and so is used to heat like that in a landlocked area with probably high humidity. It is gonna suck pregnant...that air bill is gonna be through the roof.

9 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Maybe being an aspiring preacher is the only way to get through the gates of the TTH.  Maybe that's why a Duggar girl hasn't attracted an IBLP employee because it's not considered preaching.  

<snip>

And why Jana, who wants a man who works with his hands, has not found her match yet. Most preachers don't get their hands dirty.

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

All I can say about the interest generated by weddings is that here on FJ we have people giving serious thought to what Jinger (and her bridesmaids) should wear at the wedding and coming up with ideas/speculating about the menu and decor. . Since I share your lack of interest in weddings (that don't involve close friends or family), I find this aspect of the discussions a little baffling.  

I guess that we may not be Duggar fans, but a lot of us are wedding fans. ;) 

I'm with you guys. I find it ironic that we come to this site to snark about fundies b/c they think every woman should get married and have baby after baby.  And then if there is even a whisper of an idea that someone is getting married or having a baby, half the posters go wild with speculation. Where will the wedding be, what colors will she choose, who will be MOH? Who cares? 

In photos and the short video of them together, he doesn't seem that into her. I don't see any attraction between them. It appears like they just grabbed a guy and said "here, stand together"

Of course, I am going off of very little sources so maybe that will change when they are on the show?

4 hours ago, Purrl said:

And why Jana, who wants a man who works with his hands, has not found her match yet. Most preachers don't get their hands dirty.

Maybe JB won't approve a guy for her who is not an aspiring preacher and the two have clashed over it.

Could explain why she's single.

3 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I'm with you guys. I find it ironic that we come to this site to snark about fundies b/c they think every woman should get married and have baby after baby.  And then if there is even a whisper of an idea that someone is getting married or having a baby, half the posters go wild with speculation. Where will the wedding be, what colors will she choose, who will be MOH? Who cares? 

Because for people all about weddings and being married, they do a pretty terrible job of planning decent weddings, don't make use of resources that already exist (ex. actual modestly designed wedding/bridesmaid dresses), etc. We partially snark on how badly they do, and suggest what they MIGHT have done had they any actual taste/skill per our standards. And then how various people would react to bad versus good. It's part and parcel of the falling down on being "superior" homemakers thing.

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

To the best of my knowledge, Gothard is within the Baptist tradition rather than the Presbyterian tradition.   Also, Gothardism is a cult with specific interpretations and practices that don't always agree with Presbyterian principles.  This doesn't mean that a person brought up Presbyterian couldn't convert to Gothardism.

Someone else who knows more can answer in more detail, the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians that I am acquainted with do not object to education, do not regard women as nothing but helpmeets, and are not predisposed to quiverfulness.

Thank you, @emcatlyn. Even tho we are now stuck under theyoke of the eco presbytery, we are as far from Gothardism as the east is from the west.

4 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Some people just like talking about weddings. In the same way others enjoy talking about sports. Or t.v. shows. Or music. I don't see anything wrong with it especially since it seems like it will be contained in it's own thread. I enjoyed the Duggar thread a while back that turned into members here posting their wedding dresses because I love seeing that sort of thing. It's not everyone's cup of tea though.

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

In photos and the short video of them together, he doesn't seem that into her. I don't see any attraction between them. It appears like they just grabbed a guy and said "here, stand together"

Of course, I am going off of very little sources so maybe that will change when they are on the show?

I thought the same thing. Then I got to thinking and I'm pretty sure my husband (of 10 years) and I would probably look the same on video. We are just awkward people.

I love to snark on fundie weddings. But it's because they are so foreign to me. The closest thing I've ever been to was a wedding of a friend trying to please her penticostal grandmother. It was by far the boringest wedding ever. 

16 hours ago, twinmama said:

Agreed. I don't so much fear for the spouse of someone who thinks that, but these are people who want a fuckton of kids. Those kids could be gay and that is a terrifying prospect to me. What they would put a gay child through is unconscionable. So I fear for their future and wish they'd never marry or procreate.

I find it endlessly hilarious and pathetic that people take our comments here and put them in "news articles."  

Does that happen a lot?

On 6/22/2016 at 11:39 PM, jozina said:

The HPV vaccine leading to promiscuity notion is hilarious (heard it before from patients too). I sure stopped to consider my vaccine history before getting down and dirty with my high school boyfriends.

I tell my patients to get it and haven't seen anything in studies that would give me pause.  The safety profile has been studied extensively and when compared to non-vaccinated populations there is no evidence it causes harm.  It has an amazing safety profile compared to most vaccines and drugs.  I know one doctor who is very anti it and they're also very anti premarital sex. I and every other doctor who it has come up with give him major side eye about it. My kids will get it. My colleagues' kids get it. It seems to have been the victim of both the anti-vaccine brigade and the religious abstinence/anti-premarital sex brigade. There's a blog called Skeptical Raptor which has a great and easy to read rundown of the evidence for it.

Hi there. Master of Public Health here. My favorite analogy for the whole HPV vaccine -> promiscuity nonsense is that just because I get a cholera vaccine doesn't mean I'm going to deliberately chug out of the Ganges River (no disrespect to its religious/cultural significance, but it is hella polluted). 

While I would love to point out how wrong Jim Bob is about the whole Chicken Pox/Shingles relationship, that would probably require thinking and science, which aren't his fortes.   

8 hours ago, JesusHDuggar said:

How I imagine Jeremy was to his team mates LOL 

image.png

I'd only allow Jesus talk at the gym if at least one CrossFit joke was made.

On 6/22/2016 at 6:04 PM, psycho-hope said:

why is it once I get engaged and start planning to move to Texas all the looneys seem to start heading down there:my_rolleyes: on the plus side I cant see him abandoning his church to go be JB's second garden boy tho I suppose we all thought that derek was gonna be the one to get Jill away from the mad house

Well, he kindof did!:my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

So I read thru Jeremy's "resume'" and I wonder when he told JB that there was a night of drinking & belligerence w/the police got him a night in the drunk tank. OTOH, he's sown his wild oats and come back to Jesus so I guess that sounded ok to ol' JB. See, if Josh had had that oppertu...never mind.

12 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

There was a high school by my parents who cut the football team entirely. They put it to vote at an open school board meeting that basically no one except for board members happened to show up at. Then the next day all the parents were outraged even though they were given the chance to speak their minds and vote.

So their homecoming game was soccer. I'm all for it. I watched a 60 minutes about two boys that were in different schools and both had very serious concussions (and/or maybe heat stroke?) in the same summer I think in the same week. One boy was in the hospital and ended up passing away while the other boy lived because his school was richer and had medical professionals on staff in case of emergencies during practices. He said he would never give up football since he almost died for it. Sigh.

I remember reading this. Here is a disturbing article about deaths related to high school football http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20966495,00.html and another one

http://www.hlntv.com/articles/2015/10/07/how-many-kids-have-died-playing-high-school-football

I am biased though. My family is a soccer family.

22 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

In the video it sounds like he pronounced it VO LOW

Well you know how we Americans butcher pronunciations and "Americanize" everything. 

Example- anyone familiar with the car repair shop Meineke? Here it's pronounced "mine uh kee". But it's a Dutch name and according to my Dutch mother it's supposed to be "Main ih kuh". 

And "bay ner" for Boehner? Nope. It's definitely closer to boner in German, from what I've heard. 

23 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

and the first reply:

that means there's a twitter account somewhere ;) 

There is a way to find and track old twitter accounts and see all the old tweets. Even deleted ones. But off the top of my head I can't recall how. 

It was done when that lady in Michigan went missing - Teleka Patrick. And people uncovered all her old, psychotic tweets and figured of she had a serious mental disorder. 

21 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I guess my not so clear point was that ministry wasn't his only option after leaving the sport. He didn't just go to bible college, he definitely had options. 

I wasn't talking about ex ball players. I was talking about extremist fundamentalist Christians. 

21 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

He went to Hartwick College and graduated from Syracuse University, a step up from Bible colleges.  If he's a Preacher it's because he wants to be one, not because there weren't other options.

Are you sure about that? Because I'm not seeing a ton of variation in what these extremists feel they're "called" to do. At least the second generation. (At least the people features on this site).  The number of these home-schooled extremists that go into anything unrelated to religion seems to be shrinking. 

50 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Well you know how we Americans butcher pronunciations and "Americanize" everything. 

Example- anyone familiar with the car repair shop Meineke? Here it's pronounced "mine uh kee". But it's a Dutch name and according to my Dutch mother it's supposed to be "Main ih kuh". 

And "bay ner" for Boehner? Nope. It's definitely closer to boner in German, from what I've heard. 

My husband is from the UK and I hate how his parents pronounce my first name. Other countries do it too!

Maybe he got his degree at a school he could play Soccer at and had no intention to be anything other than a preacher after Soccer but intentionally or not he opened some other doors for himself.  I assume his older brother and sister were home schooled like he was but they don't seem fundy.  From what we can see on his sister's FB page she's not married and is a Violinist in a group.  I believe his brother is a filmmaker and teaches at a Boston college?  In an article someone posted on one of these threads apparently his parents urged him to give Soccer another try when he got an offer from the team in San Antonio after he had quit previously and already started preaching.  To me it doesn't sound like they would not be supportive if he wanted to do something else so I conclude that he did have other options.

I bet deep down, Jim Jung Boob wishes he had one wild night in high school that would land him in the drunk tank just to be exciting. Of course he'd be forgiven by Jesus, but I could sense a bit of living vicariously through Gaston here. To JB, he seems "cool" and Godly. Probably what he wishes he was.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived