IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, amendgitan said:

Well you know how we Americans butcher pronunciations and "Americanize" everything. 

Example- anyone familiar with the car repair shop Meineke? Here it's pronounced "mine uh kee". But it's a Dutch name and according to my Dutch mother it's supposed to be "Main ih kuh". 

And "bay ner" for Boehner? Nope. It's definitely closer to boner in German, from what I've heard. 

And if you say it fast, vu oh low, could combine to be voh low

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet; if so, disregard.

He pronounced it "Vo-lo."

WTH?! See this house?? Beer in the fridge, big-ass tv; a ROOMMATE! altho he says it's his house. Big pool.

Jinger's going to be living in the lap of luxury.

3 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

WTH?! See this house?? Beer in the fridge, big-ass tv; a ROOMMATE! altho he says it's his house. Big pool.

I could be wrong but I thought the joke at the end was that it wasn't his house after all.

1 hour ago, amendgitan said:

Are you sure about that? Because I'm not seeing a ton of variation in what these extremists feel they're "called" to do. At least the second generation. (At least the people features on this site).  The number of these home-schooled extremists that go into anything unrelated to religion seems to be shrinking. 

These young people are told that only God matters and that they must think themselves as always in His service.   It would seem logical that becoming a preacher would be the "high status" occupation among people like that.  

There is also, I think, the issue that many home schoolers find it difficult to integrate into the 9-5 workforce because they were not trained from pre-school to pace themselves and divide their day according to a group schedule.  (As some of you may know, some features that we have come to associate with school, such as bells at the end of class periods, originated in factories and were included in US public schools in order to educated the "huddled masses" better for the needs of capitalism.). Please note that I am a great supporter of the freedom to learn at one's own pace that homeschooling makes possible.  But lack of acceptance of group schedules is a problem that some (not all) homeschoolers have when they come to the university. (In contrast, students who went to schools with strct schedules often have difficulty in college because time is less structured.)

The other issue that may influence these young people is that in many of these "independent fundamentalist" groups, and within the Baptist tradition in general, it is less necessay to have specific "book learning" in order to become a pastor.  It is a profession that may be pursued without any secular education whatsoever.  All you need is to know the Bible, to have a message people want to hear, and to be a person others want to listen to.

Jeremy's degree is in business, but that seems to have been just an excuse to be a student who was eligible to play. He may not hve learned much, and anyway the jobs open to graduates in business (with no special skills or specializations) are all entry level.  He probably prefers thr "glory" of being a preacher to applying for a 9-5 clerk job in some office.

Other fundie kids don't even have the BS in business and may have to choose between manual labor and preaching.  (I know which one I would choose.)

"The test of my own faith began during the last year of high school. I had been home schooled most of my life, but began attending public school in my junior and senior year. It was during my senior year that a lot of sin began to be exposed in my heart. I began to drink and to attend parties on the weekends with different people. This continued into college, and the sin became worse and worse. Thankfully, God spared me from much during those years, but I also gave into much. I was part of the college party scene and was living foolishly. I began sliding deeper and deeper into the pits of lust and selfishness and pride.

God I miss those days."

Fixed it.

On 6/22/2016 at 7:01 PM, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Are the Duggar girls allowed to play sports? I can see TLC setting up a scene where Jeremy teaches Jinger some of his soccer skills *with a  chaperone of course*

Hard to imagine soccer in a long skirt and flip flops.

5 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Because for people all about weddings and being married, they do a pretty terrible job of planning decent weddings, don't make use of resources that already exist (ex. actual modestly designed wedding/bridesmaid dresses), etc. We partially snark on how badly they do, and suggest what they MIGHT have done had they any actual taste/skill per our standards. And then how various people would react to bad versus good. It's part and parcel of the falling down on being "superior" homemakers thing.

Have you read the posts? B/c they come across more leg humperish in many cases. "Oh, she's look so pretty in this, maybe that." Maybe it's me, too much of this. Time for a break, enjoy yourselves!

18 hours ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Question - Is Gothard and Presb. fundie the same thing?

We don't know if he follows the super strict Gothard crap.

Maybe he really sees the same spunk we used to.

Gothard essentially set up a parachurch in the Institute of Basic Principles (IBLP)- so an interdenominational organization rather than a Christian denomination.  In his heyday, when his conferences drew thousands, he was open to converting anyone and everyone - even atheists and nonbelievers.  He developed and solidified his teachings over the years.  

Gothard seems to have attracted more IFB and people falling out of the Fundamentalist bottom of SBC churches, but there are definitely a few Fundie Presbyterians in the mix.  

16 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

To the best of my knowledge, Gothard is within the Baptist tradition rather than the Presbyterian tradition.   Also, Gothardism is a cult with specific interpretations and practices that don't always agree with Presbyterian principles.  This doesn't mean that a person brought up Presbyterian couldn't convert to Gothardism.

Someone else who knows more can answer in more detail, the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians that I am acquainted with do not object to education, do not regard women as nothing but helpmeets, and are not predisposed to quiverfulness.

If the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians you have met so far are like this - then you haven't met any of the former Vision Forum crowd.  Vision Forum was another parachurch organization.

Many of the VF crowd call themselves Presbyterian, Reformed and Calvinist.  Doug Phillips's home church was nominally Reformed Presbyterian and was as QF and patriarchal as hell.  

For other Fundie nominal Presbyterians of that ilk also see R.C. Sproul, jr., Voddie Baucham and Doug Wilson.  Doug Wilson is particularly scary.

16 hours ago, Mothership said:

This is correct.  While the fundie-presbies don't have a place for women in the church (or GLBTQ), they aren't cultish like Goddard, just patriarchal.  They would likely believe in educating their daughters--at least in gender approved jobs (like nurse/missionary or teacher/missionary or secretary/missionary) and certainly don't believe in all the creepy Pearl stuff for rearing children.  As far as I know, they are anti-abortion, but not anti-birth control.  They're much more mainstream fundie...which is actually scarier as they live among us, but aren't as easily identifiable!

The former Vision Forum also spread its wings widely - but the inner circle definitely had cult characteristics.  Many VF followers also follow Pearl teachings and would fall into the Quiverfull bucket too.   And, yes they blend into the rest of the population as looking just evangelical ...

I've learned not to make assumptions or paint with a broad brush.  This is a very complex subject.

22 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

To the person who said that soccer isn't popular in the United States.. The MLS is actually one of the fastest growing pro leagues in the country. Attendance is skyrocketing, and teams are building new stadiums, etc. So now would be a lucrative time to be in the league, only our Jeremy quit and is a pastor now so none of that matters anyway.

The problem in the US with soccer is that baseball, football and basketball take all our best athletes. So those sports remain super popular and we aren't able to compete on par with international teams. 

Until we can, US soccer's popularity won't get that high. Except women's soccer where we rock. 

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@mstee, if Jeremy was looking for the "perfect" preacher's wife, he should have looked further than an uneducated, uncultured, unsophisticated girl like Jinger. 

How sophisticated and cultured does the wife of a pastor of a tiny church on the border have to be? 

16 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

To the best of my knowledge, Gothard is within the Baptist tradition rather than the Presbyterian tradition.   Also, Gothardism is a cult with specific interpretations and practices that don't always agree with Presbyterian principles.  This doesn't mean that a person brought up Presbyterian couldn't convert to Gothardism.

Someone else who knows more can answer in more detail, the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians that I am acquainted with do not object to education, do not regard women as nothing but helpmeets, and are not predisposed to quiverfulness.

This dude's church appears to be "baptistic" and "Calvinistic". Not Presbyterian. 

20 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

There is no way his salary can afford that house. It could be a spoof, but it is a stupid spoof.

9 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Have you read the posts? B/c they come across more leg humperish in many cases. "Oh, she's look so pretty in this, maybe that." Maybe it's me, too much of this. Time for a break, enjoy yourselves!

I have and I contributed to the thread. I think it's possible to be hypercritical of their beliefs, even the content of the weddings themselves, and still wish that if they're that focused on the weddings that they be good experiences for the guests and the dresses be flattering to the brides, since that's the day they themselves are most likely to actually be in the spotlight themselves rather than as part of a group. 

Free Jinger-ing in the airport baby! Back to AR I go (last minute emergency, not serious just necessary).

And too bad that's not his house, I was having some unGodly jealousy over the convection oven. :(

On 23/06/2016 at 7:45 PM, AuntK said:

I don't think Presbyterians are fundie, I mean, after all, doesn't 3--married Trump claim to be Presbyterian? ;)

Trump, to use a phrase my family are fond of saying, says more than his prayers...

30 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I feel like we are all here for entertainment. If you feel like FJ is doing great work in freeing people from fundamentalism, well I hate to tell you, but we are all just preaching to the choir. 

The wedding planning stuff is just more entertainment. I started that thread, and if you look at the first two posts, they are very tongue-in-cheek.

All that being said, I think most people here feel that this girl is not going to have a lot of joy in her life. I hope she looks beautiful on her wedding day, and that she can hold on to that and find some joy there. 

31 minutes ago, sunshine said:

There is no way his salary can afford that house. It could be a spoof, but it is a stupid spoof.

If you watch the video to the end, it is not his house. The whole video is meant to be a joke. I think that's the coach or maybe someone from the front office at the end. 

10 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

I feel like we are all here for entertainment. If you feel like FJ is doing great work in freeing people from fundamentalism, well I hate to tell you, but we are all just preaching to the choir. 

The wedding planning stuff is just more entertainment. I started that thread, and if you look at the first two posts, they are very tongue-in-cheek.

All that being said, I think most people here feel that this girl is not going to have a lot of joy in her life. I hope she looks beautiful on her wedding day, and that she can hold on to that and find some joy there. 

If you watch the video to the end, it is not his house. The whole video is meant to be a joke. I think that's the coach or maybe someone from the front office at the end. 

I agree that I come here for the entertainment. So I will say that JB is a controlling narcissistic boob in one sentence and I the next sentence say that his grandchild Mr Spurgeon Seewald is cute as a chubby little bug in a rug. 

I really don't like much about the past fundie weddings. They were so boring and lame for the most part. But I did love Jessa's dress. It was beautiful. 

FJ would suck if we couldn't talk about how cute Bradley Bates is.

50 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

But that's exactly it - saying Jinger would look pretty in one dress, because we all fully expect she's going to buy something cheap and then butcher it with modesty panels the way Jill or Michaela did.

Now- have you read the posts? There's soccer themed bridesmaids in there, lots of snarking...

Also, I think you can be wedding obsessed and in a different way than these fundies are - you can love the details and the idea of throwing the biggest party of your life, without seeing it as this penultimate JESUS moment where the woman is being transferred from one headship to another. I for one live for weddings, but I certainly don't live for fundamentalist patriarchy and misogyny!

55 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Gothard essentially set up a parachurch in the Institute of Basic Principles (IBLP)- so an interdenominational organization rather than a Christian denomination.  In his heyday, when his conferences drew thousands, he was open to converting anyone and everyone - even atheists and nonbelievers.  He developed and solidified his teachings over the years.  

Gothard seems to have attracted more IFB and people falling out of the Fundamentalist bottom of SBC churches, but there are definitely a few Fundie Presbyterians in the mix.  

If the most reactionary branch of Presbyterians you have met so far are like this - then you haven't met any of the former Vision Forum crowd.  Vision Forum was another parachurch organization.

Many of the VF crowd call themselves Presbyterian, Reformed and Calvinist.  Doug Phillips's home church was nominally Reformed Presbyterian and was as QF and patriarchal as hell.  

For other Fundie nominal Presbyterians of that ilk also see R.C. Sproul, jr., Voddie Baucham and Doug Wilson.  Doug Wilson is particularly scary.

The former Vision Forum also spread its wings widely - but the inner circle definitely had cult characteristics.  Many VF followers also follow Pearl teachings and would fall into the Quiverfull bucket too.   And, yes they blend into the rest of the population as looking just evangelical ...

I've learned not to make assumptions or paint with a broad brush.  This is a very complex subject.

Thanks for the clarification.  I live in an area where Presbyterians are not as common as Baptists, so yeah, my exposure to fundie-ism is mostly through Baptists.   I have heard of Vision Forum in the media and here but have never met anyone who participated in it to my knowledge.   I didn't even know it had fundie-presby roots.

Agreed that the subject of fundie movements and cults is complex and complicated.  Further, any "assumptions" we make about a group may not be true of everyone in the group.   

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you say his last name fast I bet it could sound more like vwoh loh.

There's an Italian word very similar to his last name- "vuole". It's pronounced "vwoh-lay". I've been pronouncing his name as "vwoh-loh", like you said  

Of course, I learned that in my high school italian class so that could be an american mistake. 

58 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

You don't even really have to watch the the end. The allude to the joke about it not being his house pretty early on. 

About the pronunciation of his last name--- I hear it and think of (Italian-American) politicians Barbara Buono (ran against Chris Christie in 2013) and Andrew (and his late father Mario) Cuomo (both NY governors).  I assume that his name is pronounced similar to them.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:51 AM, sophie10130 said:

don't get creepy vibes from him persay, but I definitely would stay away from him just because I did the whole hyper-masculine jock zealots for Christ thing and I am WAY over it.

I never had contact with this type (just knew studious nerds). I wouldn't mind hearing some stories what they're like...

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived