IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

Absolutely love Dorothy Sayers - Montague Egg as well as Peter Wimsey. From the Golden Age, also love Ngaio Marsh, especially a Surfeit of Lampreys

@EmCatlyn If you start a JD Robb thread, I'm there!

Anyone read/watch Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks? Or watch George Gently?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Last Detective was another fun series. Peter Davison, a former Dr. Who played the lead.

12 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Absolutely love Dorothy Sayers - Montague Egg as well as Peter Wimsey. From the Golden Age, also love Ngaio Marsh, especially a Surfeit of Lampreys

I watch George Gently. I quite like Martin Shaw in the role too.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The Last Detective was another fun series. Peter Davison, a former Dr. Who played the lead.

Watched this one from time to time too. Love his Dog!

46 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I have started one.  And also Golden Age.  Don't know how to put in links to the threads, though, so interested parties should go to the "quiverful of words" section.  And that way we don't have to offend fellow FJers  by talking about books instead of Jill and Derrick.

Just saw some newer pics over on Pickle's site. It's a good think men don't have to worry about their countenance because Derick's is just BAD! 

6 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Just saw some newer pics over on Pickle's site. It's a good think men don't have to worry about their countenance because Derick's is just BAD! 

I had to go and look :eleventy:

1.jpg

1 hour ago, Apricot said:

1.jpg

Derick's teeth still don't line up centered under his nose, so he has more than one reason just to keep his mouth shut.

Notice that the two haven't learned enough Spanish for a T shirt slogan! :pb_rollseyes:

14 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I don't think any of them actually intend to adopt. It was part of their image clean up or they thought it would sound good to others. I am not sure either Jessa or Jill could even get through all the paperwork needed to adopt. Plus, when will they squeeze in an adoption when they keep producing their own spawns?

I think Miss Jill LOVED the attention of being pregnant and that is why she likes to throw that "hint" out there that her family is growing. If she is not pregnant yet, I fear she is starting to panic. Izzy is heading towards a year old and I am sure she thought should have #2 well on the way by this time. I have never understood the panic of not being pregnant at that point in life. Anna was horribly depressed because she wasn't pregnant by the time they got in the car for their honeymoon. What about spending just a little while with your spouse that you know absolutely nothing about first?

I don't know if these people are capable of having a truly honest and open relationship.  When you've learned to suppress all real emotion in favor of always keeping sweet and learned to suppress all unique thought out of fear of being reported by accountability buddies, how can you really open up to another person? And what's left of who you are to express within those confines, anyway?  Their spouses expect them to adhere to those values, too, so they may not even be interested.

And, what's to talk about in terms of what you want out of life? When you've been taught that your husband makes all decisions and dissent leads to Hell, that pretty much eliminates all conversation other than the mundane right there.  The only thing these women are allowed to aspire to is wife and motherhood.  Once that are married, the only thing they have been taught they are allowed to express is a desire for motherhood. They've been raised to believe they are meant for nothing more. 

Gotta be boring as hell to live with a fundie spouse after a while. After the newness of having sex wears off, the only thing these couples have to discuss without undoing years of brainwashing is children. 

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:
2 hours ago, Apricot said:

1.jpg

Derick's teeth still don't line up centered under his nose, so he has more than one reason just to keep his mouth shut.

Notice that the two haven't learned enough Spanish for a T shirt slogan! :pb_rollseyes:

Okay now my snarking goes into full effect...All apologies to the great Beevis and Butthead, but my god he looks like Butthead! Then there's the kitchen...for missionaries living in poverty, well they have a much nicer kitchen than I do, as my apartment still has the Harvest Gold fridge and stove..:pb_rollseyes: Really? A Kathmandu Marathon t shirt? Have you EVER run 26 miles in a single day? and you are but a child compared to me..and yes I have at 55...*grrrrr*

7 minutes ago, Hera said:

I don't know if these people are capable of having a truly honest and open relationship.  When you've learned to suppress all real emotion in favor of always keeping sweet and learned to suppress all unique thought out of fear of being reported by accountability buddies, how can you really open up to another person? And what's left of who you are to express within those confines, anyway?  Their spouses expect them to adhere to those values, too, so they may not even be interested.

I agree. My fiance and I have deep conversations about life all the time. It's fun and bonding. What do Jill and Derek discuss? "Babe, I love Jesus." "Oh babe...I do too!" "Let's have more kids babe." "It's what God wants from us, babe." "ya, totally." "I'm so glad my dad chose you to be my husband, babe." 

15 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I don't think any of them actually intend to adopt. It was part of their image clean up or they thought it would sound good to others. I am not sure either Jessa or Jill could even get through all the paperwork needed to adopt. Plus, when will they squeeze in an adoption when they keep producing their own spawns?

I think Miss Jill LOVED the attention of being pregnant and that is why she likes to throw that "hint" out there that her family is growing. If she is not pregnant yet, I fear she is starting to panic. Izzy is heading towards a year old and I am sure she thought should have #2 well on the way by this time. I have never understood the panic of not being pregnant at that point in life. Anna was horribly depressed because she wasn't pregnant by the time they got in the car for their honeymoon. What about spending just a little while with your spouse that you know absolutely nothing about first?

Since I've been in trying to conceive mode since September, I can relate to how Anna felt when she wasn't pregnant by the time she thought she would be. Those months of wondering if you're pregnant but then having the awful witch show up can be disheartening. The whole process of trying to get pregnant can be pretty stressful. Sure I think she wanted a baby for all the wrong reasons and I think they really should have taken time to just enjoy being married, but I believe she genuinely wanted a baby and her feelings and insecurities were real. Trying for a baby is an emotional journey that will take you up and down and up and down. 

4 hours ago, Apricot said:

1.jpg

I'm not going to even mention the facial hair, because all I can look at is how his mouth doesn't match up with his face. To me, it looks like his mouth is being pulled one way opposite the rest of his face. I'm not snarking, because that really sucks.

When we first met Derick I thought he had a goofy sort of cuteness about him. Now I think he might frighten small children. Is his jaw alignment more pronounced now than it was before the surgery?

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

When we first met Derick I thought he had a goofy sort of cuteness about him. Now I think he might frighten small children. Is his jaw alignment more pronounced now than it was before the surgery?

Yes, to me it seems that there is a growing gap in the front two teeth. This is not something easily correctable, as it seems this initial surgery wasn't totally successful. I agree he looked fine before the surgery, not to mention the weight loss which is obvious in the one video clip. I just hope the surgery was totally necessary. Not my business of course. 

Jill had a C-section with Izzy, so she should give her body a break. She should also really consider putting more time between her and the next baby.

I don't know how long this show will be on. Do you think there will be time for another pregnancy special?

Wow, their apartment is pretty fancy. Definitely fancier than mine... not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not pretending to be a missionary in an oh-so-dangerous developing country.

2 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Okay now my snarking goes into full effect...All apologies to the great Beevis and Butthead, but my god he looks like Butthead! Then there's the kitchen...for missionaries living in poverty, well they have a much nicer kitchen than I do, as my apartment still has the Harvest Gold fridge and stove..:pb_rollseyes: Really? A Kathmandu Marathon t shirt? Have you EVER run 26 miles in a single day? and you are but a child compared to me..and yes I have at 55...*grrrrr*

I don't know about the Marathon--maybe he just watched it being run. But as for the kitchen, I entirely agree.  That is a an upper-middle class/"rich person" kitchen in Central America.  And it suggests the rest of their living space is equally upscale.  Appliances are extra expensive when there are import tariffs.  I'd have to check, but I bet both El Salvador and Guatemala have tariffs. Plus the appliances are expensive in the US also.  (I have a white-appliance kitchen because the stainless version would have raised the price by at least $1000.)

Maybe I should speak to SOS about becoming a missionary.  I am bilingual, I can quote the Bible (mostly in English, but I could work on it) and I would love a job that consists of little more than passing out tracts and taking selfies.  And since I am past childbearing age, I don't need to worry about Zika. :wink-kitty:

2 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don't know about the Marathon--maybe he just watched it being run. But as for the kitchen, I entirely agree.  That is a an upper-middle class/"rich person" kitchen in Central America.  And it suggests the rest of their living space is equally upscale.  Appliances are extra expensive when there are import tariffs.  I'd have to check, but I bet both El Salvador and Guatemala have tariffs. Plus the appliances are expensive in the US also.  (I have a white-appliance kitchen because the stainless version would have raised the price by at least $1000.)

Maybe I should speak to SOS about becoming a missionary.  I am bilingual, I can quote the Bible (mostly in English, but I could work on it) and I would love a job that consists of little more than passing out tracts and taking selfies.  And since I am past childbearing age, I don't need to worry about Zika. :wink-kitty:

If you love converting the Catholics, this is the job for you!

The resemblance grows stronger every day

Edited to say sorry this is coming out so big I can't seem to fix it. If anyone else can, please do or advise

20140201+Rasputin-Big-photos-2-crop.jpg

2 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I'm not going to even mention the facial hair, because all I can look at is how his mouth doesn't match up with his face. To me, it looks like his mouth is being pulled one way opposite the rest of his face. I'm not snarking, because that really sucks.

I'm wondering if the doctor who performed the palatte (sp?) surgery messed up because I don't think that's how it's supposed to look, right?  And if his jaw is mis-aligned, I think that may cause him problems both now and in the future.  I had a friend who was in a bad car accident and suffered TMJ problems for the rest of her life.  For years, she couldn't eat solid foods - everything had to be pureed.  She was also on a lot of pain meds.  Don't know if Derick's jaw is painful, but for his sake I hope not.

2 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I'm wondering if the doctor who performed the palatte (sp?) surgery messed up because I don't think that's how it's supposed to look, right?  And if his jaw is mis-aligned, I think that may cause him problems both now and in the future.  I had a friend who was in a bad car accident and suffered TMJ problems for the rest of her life.  For years, she couldn't eat solid foods - everything had to be pureed.  She was also on a lot of pain meds.  Don't know if Derick's jaw is painful, but for his sake I hope not.

I suspect it might be, only because that would explain the weight loss.  

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Wow, their apartment is pretty fancy. Definitely fancier than mine... not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not pretending to be a missionary in an oh-so-dangerous developing country.

It's much fancier than mine.  I rent a funky townhouse built in the '70's - it has tons of charm and I love it.  But the refrigerator makes the most odd noises at times - perhaps it's from the '70's as well.   I don't get a "roughing it" vibe from Jill and Derick - their digs looks pretty upscale and comfy and I have yet to see any proof that they are doing anything worthwhile with their time in "Central America."  I also don't understand why they don't provide the name of the country they are currently living in - why so generic?

Derek looks terrible. I suspect grown up life isn't what Jill thought it would be. :tw_wink:

48 minutes ago, patsymae said:

The resemblance grows stronger every day

Edited to say sorry this is coming out so big I can't seem to fix it. If anyone else can, please do or advise

20140201+Rasputin-Big-photos-2-crop.jpg

Is this Rasputin?

11 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

Is this Rasputin?

Yes, the famous wandering dispenser of religious wisdom

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived