IGNORED

Medic Corps 2: Still Pretending

Coconut Flan

@Cam said: "I will never get over Nathan being married to the beautiful Ester. Never."

Were the Bates into arranged marriages? 

Possible scenario:

Nathan Bates:  Oh my gawd she's hawt I want to impregnate her with so many blessings!  Eleventy! Goes to dad: God is telling me she's the ONE! She's soooooo Godly! 

Nathan Bates dad goes to Ester's dad:  My godly son Nathan thinks your daughter is very godly and God wants him to impregnate her with many blessings marry her. 

Much flinging of Bible fu, prayer and interrogation on Correct Fundy Theology ensues.  

Ester's dad to Ester:  God sez Nathan is the ONE!  We've set a date! 

• Haha 13
  • Love 2

I think there are various degrees and types of arranged marriages. Examples from the Duggar side:

Jed and Katey, Justin and Clare: Absolutely set up by both set of parents. 100%.

Joe and Kendra, Josiah and Laruen: Probably set up by both set of parents. 

Jill and Derick: Approved by parents (as in Jim Bob), but not totally started out as a set-up. 

Joy and Austin, Jer and Hannah: Not set up by parents, but approved very fast since the families knew each other. 

Jinger and Jeremy, Jessa and Ben, John and Abbie: Not arranged at all, but eventually approved.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, xenobia said:

I think there are various degrees and types of arranged marriages. Examples from the Duggar side:

Jed and Katey, Justin and Clare: Absolutely set up by both set of parents. 100%.

Joe and Kendra, Josiah and Laruen: Probably set up by both set of parents. 

Jill and Derick: Approved by parents (as in Jim Bob), but not totally started out as a set-up. 

Joy and Austin, Jer and Hannah: Not set up by parents, but approved very fast since the families knew each other. 

Jinger and Jeremy, Jessa and Ben, John and Abbie: Not arranged at all, but eventually approved.

Interesting. I was actually thinking about this a few days ago and trying to figure out which Duggar marriages were arranged. I came to the conclusion that most of them had an element of arrangement (as in Jim Bob wouldn’t have agreed if the prospective spouse didn’t check all the boxes) but some were more arranged than others.

Josh and Anna - arranged after Josh met Anna and expressed interest. Jim Bob wanted to keep Josh from acting on his inclinations. Yeah, that worked well. 

John and Abbie, Jer and Hannah - not arranged, but wouldn’t have been allowed to proceed if the other family hadn’t been deep into fundamentalism. 

Jill and Derrick - Jim Bob claims to have introduced them. Bet he regrets that noe. Not exactly arranged, but Derrick was smart enough to jump through Jim Bob’s many hoops.

Jessa and Ben, Jinger and Jeremy - similarly, not arranged, but wouldn’t have gone ahead if the guys hadn’t been willing to tick all of Jim Bob’s boxes. I suspect Jim Bob also regrets saying yes to Jeremy. 

Joe and Kendra - probably arranged. They do seem to actually like each other, though neither comes across as the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

Joy and Austin - arranged, though Joy seems to have had a crush on Austin beforehand. I got the impression Jim Bob wanted to tie Joy down because he was afraid she was going to run. They seem to have developed a decent marriage. 

Josiah and Lauren, Jed and Katey, Justin and Claire - all 100% arranged. Again,Jim Bob wanted to tie everyone down early. Jed and Katey seem to be developing a decent relationship by their terms. Justin and Claire look like two kids attending prom. I can’t picture them living on their own. I have doubts about the long-term viability of Josiah and Lauren’s marriage. From what little we see, they seem to be trying hard to make a go of it, but neither appears happy. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Possible scenario:

Nathan Bates:  Oh my gawd she's hawt I want to impregnate her with so many blessings!  Eleventy! Goes to dad: God is telling me she's the ONE! She's soooooo Godly! 

Nathan Bates dad goes to Ester's dad:  My godly son Nathan thinks your daughter is very godly and God wants him to impregnate her with many blessings marry her. 

Much flinging of Bible fu, prayer and interrogation on Correct Fundy Theology ensues.  

12 hours ago, postscript said:

Joy and Austin - arranged, though Joy seems to have had a crush on Austin beforehand. I got the impression Jim Bob wanted to tie Joy down because he was afraid she was going to run. They seem to have developed a decent marriage. 

How is “I want to impregnate her with many blessings” any different from a non fundie couple getting together based on physical attraction? How can they not see its this is the same thing?! 

What happened with Joy to make you think Jim Bob thought she was a flight risk?

• Upvote 2

On 7/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, Howl said:

Possible scenario:

Never thought about it but can totally see this scenario! 

The only thing is, why him in particular? She is so hawt that I’m sure a lotta fundie men wanted to impregnate her with many a blessing. 

8 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

How is “I want to impregnate her with many blessings” any different from a non fundie couple getting together based on physical attraction? How can they not see its this is the same thing?! 

Oh, I think they totally see this as the same thing, but to avoid admitting carnal thoughts of  “I want to - - -k her brains out all night and all day”, they couch it in a phrase like “I want to make soldiers for Gawd.”  This makes them appear benevolent so they don’t sound like the sex on demand maniacs their cult allows them to be. 

It is reportedly said to be how the whole “sex: only permitted to create babies, not intended for pleasure” mentality of ye old religions from way back yonder came about. The patriarchal men wanted to dignify their sexual appetites, so they placed this restriction on the sex act. No just gettin’ jiggy with it for them.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

What happened with Joy to make you think Jim Bob thought she was a flight risk?

I think this is based on her talking about how she struggled with "taking her parents' religion as her own" or something like that.  Joe helped secure her in the fold and then marriage theoretically sealed the deal.  Hard to run with a passel of babies.

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I think this is based on her talking about how she struggled with "taking her parents' religion as her own" or something like that.  Joe helped secure her in the fold and then marriage theoretically sealed the deal.  Hard to run with a passel of babies.

Especially when Jill is the sister mom you can run towards.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Especially when Jill is the sister mom you can run towards.

Jill breaking the Duggar mold was not on my bingo card. You just never know which way a person is going to go. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

13 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

Jill breaking the Duggar mold was not on my bingo card. You just never know which way a person is going to go. 

Me either. I thought Jessa or Jinger would. 

• Upvote 7

John and Abbie, Nathan and Esther + Isaiah Bates are (or were) in the Philippines with Medic Corps. We know that N&E didn't bring baby Kenna, so I assume that J&A left their kids at home as well. Screenshot from Esthers IG:

D96A3CAF-6C6A-490F-8DDA-CBD8C764A09D_1_201_a.jpeg

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Basically a couples’ trip to the Philippines on MedicCorps’ dime.

Yeah. Esther didn't even attempt to dress as if she was going to any sort of medical or physical work. She's there for a tropical vacay.

• Upvote 7

At least Esther explained why they’re in the Philippines. Nothing about it on the Medic Corps Instagram yet. Maybe because it looks like too much of a pleasure trip? At least it doesn’t seem like Nathan is planning to do any dental work on this trip.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.e1724d200ee28c6df5f2d7beac3b0f2b.jpeg

• Upvote 3

If the trip to the Philippines is primarily for planning and meetings, why can't those take place over Zoom? This sounds more like a vacation than work. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet Jana is doing most of the babysitting for Grace and Charlie. 

Did JD and Abbie also go on this trip?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

If the trip to the Philippines is primarily for planning and meetings, why can't those take place over Zoom? This sounds more like a vacation than work. 

It is possible that they Philippines locations don't have Zoom licenses and/or robust enough WiFi.  But still, Ester isn't even pretending she's taking part in any of this work.  I'm not going to complain about her tagging along on a business trip--I do it alot--but I pay my own way (include the extra person hotel room supplement if there is one), and don't have a bunch of donors, who think they are donating to a medical charity, pay for my trip. 

• Upvote 5

What do these undereducated people have to offer in terms of setting up a trauma center, life flight, or improving the 911 system?  They wouldn't even be allowed in meetings here beyond community input because of their lack of knowledge and experience. If it's simply fund raising they offer, they don't need to go en masse for that.  They've listed "improving the 911 system" for years now.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, Howl said:

Possible scenario:

I mean Esther’s family is weird but not IBLP and two of her siblings have out of wedlock children, so I don’t think they would have sold their daughter off. reason, 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I hope MediCorps stays the hell away from Maui.

I hope they go, and get on the Fed’s radar and investigated. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I hope MediCorps stays the hell away from Maui.

I don't think any of their aircraft could make the trip. 😂

• Haha 1

I’m in Maui right now. It feels like most of the locals are related in some way and the loss of life and property devastation affect everyone personally. The shock and sadness is palpable. Absolutely no proselytizers or fake medical people needed. Oprah has already gotten herself in front of the cameras, no additional “celebrities “ needed.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6