IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

There are a lot of reasons not to face a baby out, especially while wearing.  it's bad for the caretakers back, and unless you're using a carrier designed to face out (buddha position in the moby wrap, or an ergo 360) it's bad for baby's hips as well. It can be very overstimulating, as baby can't choose to disengage.  Hip or back carries allow baby to seem more if they are interested. Also, carrying facing out throws the wearer's balance off, which is not very ergonomic.

Jill does seem disengaged. It could just be the limited access we've had to hear life and bond with baby. It could be ppd, she's been through a huge amount of change in the last 2 years or so.  She could just be burned out.  Or like others said maybe all of the emotional repression she grew up with is showing.

by the way: i've yet to see them use a baby carrier (usually it's a moby/boba wrap or lower end soft structured carrier) correctly. It drives me crazy. Big pet peeve of mine.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I really think Izzy's too heavy to carry like that.

to wear in general? or to carry facing out?  I wore my kid till I was too pregnant- so past 3 years old and 30 lbs. Older toddlers still like to be carried a lot, especially on hikes, and a carrier puts the weight across your whole torso and hips, instead of just your arms.  Facing out the weight limit is much lower, because of the ergonomic issues.

just saw the preview/trailer/emotional music over images of Duggar girls and Bin surrounding Blessa and Spurgey for "Jill & Jessa - Counting On" on March 15 9/8c. I knew they weren't done....can we rename TLC to TLG? Tender Loving Greed? They'll milk them til Spurgey is 18...then he'll get his own show...with his dad...who will still wear hats sideways. It'll be about their tour as Christian hiphop preachers. Kirk Franklin...move over!

10 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

just saw the preview/trailer/emotional music over images of Duggar girls and Bin surrounding Blessa and Spurgey for "Jill & Jessa - Counting On" on March 15 9/8c. I knew they weren't done....can we rename TLC to TLG? Tender Loving Greed? They'll milk them til Spurgey is 18...then he'll get his own show...with his dad...who will still wear hats sideways. It'll be about their tour as Christian hiphop preachers. Kirk Franklin...move over!

I thought they'd just name it "Counting On", since the other older girls are involved too.

TLC have sucked for a long time sadly, always catering to the lowest common denominator. Seems they feel people would rather watch "freak shows" and train wrecks than actually learning things.

Oh gosh. I got a funny image in my head now. A middle-aged Ben along with 18 year old Spud on TV. The rapping and preaching duo. That'd be quite hilarious to watch, to be honest.

25 minutes ago, Sweet Fellowship said:

I thought they'd just name it "Counting On", since the other older girls are involved too.

TLC have sucked for a long time sadly, always catering to the lowest common denominator. Seems they feel people would rather watch "freak shows" and train wrecks than actually learning things.

Oh gosh. I got a funny image in my head now. A middle-aged Ben along with 18 year old Spud on TV. The rapping and preaching duo. That'd be quite hilarious to watch, to be honest.

Ben needs to do that NOW. They would lose hundreads of leghumpemrs

I'm still waiting for Bin to tell us about "the work the Lord has been doing" in his heart to move him towards HipHop ministry. Better be careful...a sick beat may just make him want to dance. *GASP* Can't have that! Step away from the rhythmic beat, Binjermin, step away!

6 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I'm still waiting for Bin to tell us about "the work the Lord has been doing" in his heart to move him towards HipHop ministry. Better be careful...a sick beat may just make him want to dance. *GASP* Can't have that! Step away from the rhythmic beat, Binjermin, step away!

Just think, while you've been shunning wordly things and refusing to listen to music you can dance to, you could have been getting down to THIS. SICK. BEAT.

7 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

But now that he is married, the Devil's backbeat will stir up desires that he can righteously fulfill! See? It's all good! Just, none of his single in-laws will be able to listen to his Sinful Songs for the Lord. 

3 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Just think, while you've been shunning wordly things and refusing to listen to music you can dance to, you could have been getting down to THIS. SICK. BEAT.

A+ Taylor Swift reference. :D

2 hours ago, felinefundie said:

But now that he is married, the Devil's backbeat will stir up desires that he can righteously fulfill! See? It's all good! Just, none of his single in-laws will be able to listen to his Sinful Songs for the Lord. 

Jim Bob might just love it, since he loves dancing to rap music:

1 minute ago, DuggarWatch said:

Consider my desires unstirred. Possibly for life.  I'm glad this didn't have sound too early in the day for that

Jill makes me so sad. There is this notion that women should fall naturally into motherhood, and for some women that's just not the case. I think for someone like Jill, she's probably aware of the fact that she's not living up to her own expectations. I remember not feeling like the mom I wanted to be or thought I was going to be. It's rough. No one really knows how Jill's handling motherhood, but from what we've seen it just makes me sad.

And what have we seen? many pictures of a new mother loving her baby, happy smiling pictures of an Izzy developing normally, and 2 pictures of him crying. How quickly we forget about how lovingly they encouraged him to crawl over to the couch  and pull himself up. That became  "blanket training." Then it was that Jill doesn't "carry him right.' Then it was, "oh, he's all bruised."  Followed by an adorable picture of him sitting on his mothers hip, grinning widely. Just quit it until you have some real proof that she's a cold, unfeeling mother.

I went snowboarding today and for a second I was sure I saw Meechelle on skis....poodle perm, ski pants PLUS a long ski/snow skirt over them right there on the slopes...then the lady turned around...

I so wish I could have gotten a picture. I mean it was just a beauty of a snow skirt. Anyway, all I could think of was "reporting" to my FJ headship here. A Meechelle-double sighting in the wild (in the terrain park nonetheless)...it was quite a gem..a fine ruby, if you will.

9 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I went snowboarding today and for a second I was sure I saw Meechelle on skis....poodle perm, ski pants PLUS a long ski/snow skirt over them right there on the slopes...then the lady turned around...

I so wish I could have gotten a picture. I mean it was just a beauty of a snow skirt. Anyway, all I could think of was "reporting" to my FJ headship here. A Meechelle-double sighting in the wild (in the terrain park nonetheless)...it was quite a gem..a fine ruby, if you will.

Back the train up. They make snow skirts?? What's the point? your legs would still freeze

I love the Duggar version of modesty. Joy wears sweat pants to work out. Sensible. Then she puts a skirt over the top for modesty. Not sensible when you're using gym equipment. Everyone knows how defrauding sweat pants are. Sheesh. :shakehead:

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I love the Duggar version of modesty. Joy wears sweat pants to work out. Sensible. Then she puts a skirt over the top for modesty. Not sensible when you're using gym equipment. Everyone knows how defrauding sweat pants are. Sheesh. :shakehead:

The skirt instead of (or over) pants isn't really about defrauding.  It is about observing the difference between male and female clothing.  

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so areabomination unto the LORD thy God." Deuteronomy 22.5 KJV

Now, in the time of the ancient Israelites, or in the time of Jesus, or for a few centuries after men did not wear pants.  For that matter, when the KJV was composed, men did not wear long pants. 

I pointed this out to a Fundie roommate many years ago, and she said that this showed that God knew pants were going to be invented.  Nonsense.

Long pants are no longer the exclusive garb of men (as they were in the 19th century). So this is just one more silly Fundie rule.

7 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

The skirt instead of (or over) pants isn't really about defrauding.  It is about observing the difference between male and female clothing.  

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so areabomination unto the LORD thy God." Deuteronomy 22.5 KJV

Now, in the time of the ancient Israelites, or in the time of Jesus, or for a few centuries after men did not wear pants.  For that matter, when the KJV was composed, men did not wear long pants. 

I pointed this out to a Fundie roommate many years ago, and she said that this showed that God knew pants were going to be invented.  Nonsense.

Long pants are no longer the exclusive garb of men (as they were in the 19th century). So this is just one more silly Fundie rule.

At the risk of using logic then wouldn't joy putting pants on, even under a skirt, still be considered "wearing that which pertaineth unto a man"? It doesn't say "but it's ok if you cover it up. It just says you can't put it on in the first place.  (this is using fundie logic to decide what is male and female. fashions and clothing styles have changed dramatically over the years to reflect climate, technology, fabric types, social norms and overall tastes). Clothing types and styles also varies drastically from place to place in time.  A Technically the fundies would be OK if the girls just don't wear the robes pertaining to man, right?

15 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

At the risk of using logic then wouldn't joy putting pants on, even under a skirt, still be considered "wearing that which pertaineth unto a man"? It doesn't say "but it's ok if you cover it up. It just says you can't put it on in the first place.  (this is using fundie logic to decide what is male and female. fashions and clothing styles have changed dramatically over the years to reflect climate, technology, fabric types, social norms and overall tastes). Clothing types and styles also varies drastically from place to place in time.  A Technically the fundies would be OK if the girls just don't wear the robes pertaining to man, right?

Yeah, Fundie logic is not very logical.  As you say, clothing styles vary drastically. Long before women wore knee-length skirts, men were wearing kilts and so forth.  And in some non-western communities both men and women wore pants of some sort.  

If they want to follow the Bible as it was written, the men should all wear robes and/or short tunics like the men in Jesus's time did, and the women should wear the robes and veils of that time.

If they want to follow the rule that men and women shouldn't wear each other's clothing, they should look at what is/isn't "men's clothing" or "women's clothing" today and make rules based on that.  This might be that women must not wear pants that have zippers on the front,  men's t-shirts and shirts or jackets that button like men's shirts.  And men have to have some sort of fly on all their pants and cannot wear skirts or shirts that button in the back.   This is aside from any modesty rules.

Instead, they are holding on to the now old-fashioned idea that women must wear skirts, preferably long skirts not only for modesty but to keep women from engaging too comfortably in physical activity best left to men.

You are right that "men's garb" under a skirt is still "wearing men's garb."  

And in any case the prohibition was not against a woman borrowing her husband's cloak or a infant son wearing his big sister's baby clothes.  It was against transvestism.

This woman was wearing ski pants UNDER her ski skirt...I ASSUME it was handmade from an old pair of pants...I wasn't gonna be a creepy snowboarder getting too close to see or ask questions but I would assume you can't buy those...yet. Wouldn't be a big market but I'm sure some people would buy them...then again, if they all have a Janerella they don't have to pay for a seamstress. 

ETA: modesty/ginder differences aside, it did NOT look safe whatsoever as it was pretty long and restricted her movement, especially if she ever lost her balance just a bit she would have ad a hard time to correct and catch herself. 

35 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

This woman was wearing ski pants UNDER her ski skirt...I ASSUME it was handmade from an old pair of pants...I wasn't gonna be a creepy snowboarder getting too close to see or ask questions but I would assume you can't buy those...yet. Wouldn't be a big market but I'm sure some people would buy them...then again, if they all have a Janerella they don't have to pay for a seamstress. 

ETA: modesty/ginder differences aside, it did NOT look safe whatsoever as it was pretty long and restricted her movement, especially if she ever lost her balance just a bit she would have ad a hard time to correct and catch herself. 

I'm thinking a lot of fabric to get stuck on a chair lift. Not easy to work with. I may have to google ski skirt now.  I live in a cold climate, and let me tell you skirts do not cut it in the snow.  Seems a bit silly to put on over pants. But you know, modesty....

OK. This exists, but I doubt it's long enough. http://www.rei.com/product/857198/skhoop-mini-down-skirt?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8571980028&CAWELAID=120217890000852032&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

and a whole pinterest board dedicated to modest ski skirts. Huh. never knew this was a thing. Should've known.https://www.pinterest.com/JesusSavedRayet/modest-ski-wear/

On February 26, 2016 at 9:44 AM, DuggarWatch said:

Did I really hear the words "is whack?" Can't bear to rewind to make sure.

Just for contrast: 

or

Matisyahu is no longer religious, but just trying to make the point that you can do it without being ridiculous.

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived