IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon Part 3

Boogalou

3 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

When was it said that the Duggars don't believe in Health Insurance and/or don't have any?   I know for sure they had some sort of co-op health insurance way back when.  It was either in their book or on one of the first specials.

I think i mis-remembered from what I read ages ago.  For some reason I really remember them equating it to gambling. But rereading I guess I'm wrong.  Though they don't have insurance through employers any more (obviously), so maybe that's what I remembered.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I think i mis-remembered from what I read ages ago.  For some reason I really remember them equating it to gambling. But rereading I guess I'm wrong.  Though they don't have insurance through employers any more (obviously), so maybe that's what I remembered.

Who knows really - they flip flop on things so much, I can never keep it straight.

6 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

When was it said that the Duggars don't believe in Health Insurance and/or don't have any?   I know for sure they had some sort of co-op health insurance way back when.  It was either in their book or on one of the first specials.

Who knows with these Duggars? Didn't they get taken to court regarding unpaid medical expenses and that is why Jinger and Joseph were born at home because of this?

4 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Who knows really - they flip flop on things so much, I can never keep it straight.

I used to think the clothing rule for girls was no knees or above showing, and nothing above the elbows.  Now the older girls tend to wear skirts that well..skirt that length, and I'm pretty sure we've seen their shoulders. I KNOW i've seen upper arms (defrauded defrauded!)  I think their rules can sort of....evolve over time. Despite the fact that the bible remains the same. 

I think the Duggars had catastrophic insurance, not everyday insurance most of us have so they had to pay out of pocket for any preventative care. As to the Bates family, they just used either the ER or Urgent Care and negotiated down the bill. My guess is that they could not afford insurance for all those kids as they were already having trouble with everyday expenses, hence Lawson's help. 

16 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I think the Duggars had catastrophic insurance, not everyday insurance most of us have so they had to pay out of pocket for any preventative care. As to the Bates family, they just used either the ER or Urgent Care and negotiated down the bill. My guess is that they could not afford insurance for all those kids as they were already having trouble with everyday expenses, hence Lawson's help. 

This irritates me soooo much. Using the er/urgent as your main care provider not only clogs the system, but costs the system a ton of money. Going to the er for something a primary doctor could take care of in office costs so so so much more money, which ends up costing the whole system, and everyone who uses it for legitimate purposes. It's also dangerous for the people doing that, as they get zilch in preventative care. And they try to claim they aren't a burden on the system and are raising good citizens? 

24 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

This irritates me soooo much. Using the er/urgent as your main care provider not only clogs the system, but costs the system a ton of money. Going to the er for something a primary doctor could take care of in office costs so so so much more money, which ends up costing the whole system, and everyone who uses it for legitimate purposes. It's also dangerous for the people doing that, as they get zilch in preventative care. And they try to claim they aren't a burden on the system and are raising good citizens? 

Universal health care would take care of this.

Of course, they don't believe in that! 

30 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Right! Even if they "negotiate down the bill" and pay that, what they didn't pay doesn't just disappear. 

16 minutes ago, Hera said:

Right! Even if they "negotiate down the bill" and pay that, what they didn't pay doesn't just disappear. 

sure it does. it disappears from the bonus the CEO's/top men were going to get at the end of the year...

16 minutes ago, Hera said:

And the infrastructure for an er costs a lot more. An er bed is expensive to the system. If you get the sniffles, a rash etc etc- you visit the doctor, where the cost will be a fraction of the er cost. Plus it clogs everything up, so anyone in the waiting room with the bates family has to wait longer to get legit injuries and acute illnesses checked out. yes, triage helps. But the more people the longer triage takes and the longer the overall wait.  

And you are much more likely to end up in the er/urgent if you have to forgo all preventative care.  Something that started out small and treatable may turn into a full blown emergency with no treatment, changing a quick fairly cheap doctor's visit into an expensive and time consuming er visit.

21 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

sure it does. it disappears from the bonus the CEO's/top men were going to get at the end of the year...

I think the cost is distributed to the rest of us, driving the cost of ER visits up.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

I think the cost is distributed to the rest of us, driving the cost of ER visits up.

This is unfortunately true, although it certainly shouldn't be the case.

On 2/28/2016 at 0:56 PM, enine said:

Not exactly. My credit card is a credit card that has a limit (I chose the limit myself and I guess the limit could be way more than what I decided to) and is paid at the end of the month. My debit card doesn't have a limit, so I can spend whatever amount I'm willing to spend, as long as there's money on my bank accound. The money I spend is removed directly after I paid.

But say you have $500 in the bank and your credit limit is $1000, you can easily spend way more than you have to pay the bill with a credit card. Debit has a limit, the limit is what is in your account (though I think sometimes they let you spend over and give you an overdraft charge).

I work minimum wage and am only allowed to work 28 hours a week because obamacare.
Sorry to nitpick, but if you are only allowed to work 28 hours a week, it's because your employer is not willing to provide you with healthcare benefits and is avoiding it by capping your hours. It's your employer's choice, not the government's. Obamacare lets you work as much as you want as long as your employer is compensating you accordingly in benefits, which not all employers are going to want to do.

You may already know this, and if so I apologize for the repeat, but a lot of the part-time employees I've talked to think the government is limiting their employer, when in fact it's a self-imposed limit by the employer to avoid providing the benefits that became mandatory as a fair labor practice under Obamacare. 

I still blame the government, because they are the ones who put the loop hole in there, and I don't believe for a minute that they thought émployers wouldn't exploit it.

So, I get all that, but I still blame obamacare for not closing the loopholes.

Because every single place I have applied to has this rule. Because I have no skills to get a better job and even though I study a lot im having a hard time not failing college.

Also, wtf is wrong with the board, I can't get quote boxes to work.

5 hours ago, Trynn said:

I still blame the government, because they are the ones who put the loop hole in there, and I don't believe for a minute that they thought émployers wouldn't exploit it.

Because every single place I have applied to has this rule. Because I have no skills to get a better job and even though I study a lot im having a hard time not failing college.

Sadly, employers are always going to find ways to work around the spirit of the law and exploit that. It's not exclusive to the Affordable Care Act. Taking advantage of part-time technicalities is something employers were doing long before Obamacare.

Not to get all back in my day about it, but at one point I had a "part-time" job where I was expected to put in 40-60 hour work weeks with no benefits (because I was "part-time") and wages so low I couldn't afford to get health insurance. It was kind of the opposite problem, but no less taking advantage of the worker.

Things now aren't perfect, but they wouldn't be without Obamacare either.

Sorry for thread derail.

On February 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM, TuringMachine said:

I think you're on to something. How about Precious, Psalms, Creation, Catholics-Are-Going-To-Hell, I-Survived-Roe-Vs-Wade, or New-Season-Of-Life Seewald.

Don't-touch-me-I'm-a virgin Seewald.

So it looks like in the latest Instagram post, Jessa is listening to music...with a BEAT. Why she didn't immediately get whipped up into a whirling dervish of sexual lust by the dulcet tones of Ben's younger sister's actually pretty decent voice and standard rock-tinged sort-of-country instrumentals is a mystery for the ages.

15 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

So it looks like in the latest Instagram post, Jessa is listening to music...with a BEAT. Why she didn't immediately get whipped up into a whirling dervish of sexual lust by the dulcet tones of Ben's younger sister's actually pretty decent voice and standard rock-tinged sort-of-country instrumentals is a mystery for the ages.

SHe may have...but she got to righteously fulfill it with Bin!!! But she is promoting it out to other non-married people, FOR SHAME!

Just now, karen77 said:

SHe may have...but she got to righteously fulfill it with Bin!!! But she is promoting it out to other non-married people, FOR SHAME!

I have this image of Ben and Jessa grinding like the horniest couple at prom to Turn Down For What while yelling "IT'S OK, WE'RE MARRIED!" 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The more I hear Ben talk, the more effeminate he sounds.  

On 1/31/2016 at 5:54 PM, Chicken bones said:

Evol. Yes, one of the grossest frozen meals I've ever bought was this gem (and note the lack of truth in advertising..):

20150713_124315.jpg

I saw those the other day and was thinking talk about over priced. I can't imagine  frozen real taco.when they tend to const only 1.50 each fresh.

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

The more I hear Ben talk, the more effeminate he sounds.  

now you are making me look up another word 

(of a man) having or showing characteristics regarded as typical of a woman; unmanly.

I am going to have to agree :D

Sadly, employers are always going to find ways to work around the spirit of the law and exploit that. It's not exclusive to the Affordable Care Act. Taking advantage of part-time technicalities is something employers were doing long before Obamacare.

Not to get all back in my day about it, but at one point I had a "part-time" job where I was expected to put in 40-60 hour work weeks with no benefits (because I was "part-time") and wages so low I couldn't afford to get health insurance. It was kind of the opposite problem, but no less taking advantage of the worker.

Things now aren't perfect, but they wouldn't be without Obamacare either.

Sorry for thread derail.

Well no, I'm not saying we shouldn't have obamacare. I have benefitted from it tremendously. I'm saying its not good enough, and they need to close the loopholes.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived