IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon Part 3

Boogalou

9 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Jessa wears extensions because she is vain, not Godly.  But it is a sign of how much she focuses on pretensions. 

Ouch. I've never come close to even considering extensions but where do you draw the line about what beauty things are just to look nice and what ones mean you are vain and pretentious?? Wearing eyeliner is ok, but extensions are vain? Even if she wears extensions, all it means is she thinks her hair looks nice with extensions.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The idea that a woman's hair would look the same in a photo taken in a hospital room in poor lighting after a long and arduous labour and delivery and a hemorrhage and blood transfusion, as in a photo taken of her when she's nine months pregnant, outdoors, in sunlight, professionally shot and carefully styled, and probably having just washed, blow-dried, and curled/styled her hair, is ludicrous to the point of insanity.

And I love the suggestion that women are lying about growing their hair to their hips. I guess I hallucinated when I thought I had hip-length hair. Or maybe someone was coming into my bedroom at night and putting extensions in.

I'd like to add that pregnancy hormones often make the expectant mother's hair thicker, shinier, bouncier, etc.  At least, that was the case with me. During my pregnancy, I had fantastic hair!  It was thick, lustrous, shiny.  After giving birth, my body went through a big re-adjustment period.  Not only did I no longer have any time to spend "doing" my hair, it lost a lot of body, was certainly less shiny, thick and bouncy, and I barely had time to wash it.  I bid a tearful farewell to that lovely mane of hair, and it took perhaps a year or so for it to return to normal. 

Also, I don't care if she wears extensions or not.  As someone else said, if she does use extensions, they are pretty darn good. 

Anna has/has had chest length hair I'm pretty sure, and maybe Jana did too at one point? A few of the Bates girls don't have waist-length hair either.

I googled pictures of Jessa from when she was younger and her hair looks pretty long and thick there too, even though it's permed and crispy-looking. I don't think it's impossible that her hair is all natural, especially considering the effort she appears to put into it and how seamlessly it blends in with her real hair. I wouldn't be surprised if she does cut it to a more manageable length though, mine was waist-length until recently and even just washing and brushing it was an effort.

jessa.jpg

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Speaking of buns...the new picture floating around where they are all in the utility kitchen: Jessa has her hair up in a bun on top of her head. Could she do that w/extensions?

You can put your hair up with extensions depending on how they were put in and where they were put. The problem is that anything Jessa has in her hair is cheap. My friend's niece   Charges up to $800 to put in extensions and you have to pay for the hair separately (which can be expensive). They can be sewn in. The thing is she does the type that will take all day to do and are meant to last. You can't even tell they are extensions. You just know that person didn't have hair that long yesterday. 

If Jessa does have extensions, which I don't think she does, they are likely clip ons that anyone puts in and can immediately take off. She wouldn't need to have them if putting her hair up. Clip ons are the type people use to go to a party and take off when they get home. It's the cheap way. 

On 3/3/2016 at 7:12 PM, singsingsing said:

It's not hard to get hair like Jessa's if your hair follicles are cooperative - you just don't cut it. I grew my hair from just above my shoulders to about the same length as Jessa's in maybe 2 or 3 years. There were always people who told me (like they literally told me!) that I dyed my hair, straightened it, and/or had extensions, none of which was true. It was pretty annoying.

Yeah, it's really not that unusual. My hair is as long and thick as Jessa's. It grows really quickly till it gets to about waist length, so it doesn't require any special effort to grow out. I've never had extensions and have no idea how to tell if someone does, but I can believe that's her natural hair.

14 hours ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

Are fundies allowed to wear hair extensions?  They show their long hair because it's God's grace, right?  So if wearing extensions, like... misrepresenting how much grace you have?  Would this be a huge scandal if other fundies found out about Jessa's secret hair extensions?

They are hardly "secret" if we are talking about them on FJ. ;) 

I don't think hair extensions are regarded any differently than make up, but I may be wrong.

I would say that I'm surprised that Jessa's been accused of having hair extensions and yet I am not...at all. Aside from the fact that the left photo was taken after a traumatic labor and delivery and the right is styled and professionally photographed, the big thing I don't understand about comparing them is that the photo on the left is cropped and you can't even see the full length of her hair? But the part you can see before it goes out of frame looks comparable in thickness and length as the one on the right. Also why care? 

All this talk made me think, it must be really sad for fundies with thin hair.  I have pretty thin hair, and when it gets too long, it just looks stringy and bad.  I usually keep it around chest length, and any longer it starts to look even thinner.  That could be why Anna keeps her shorter, too, because it might look not great long.

As I said the last time this conversation arose, jessa's hair is glorious. Extensions or not, she has an amazing mane of hair. Facts are facts

You're not going to believe this one.  Just six hours after Jim Bob and Michelle's so-called 'Happy Birthday message to first-born Josh" on their Facebook page, they posted a message to divert our attention to a newly published sermon/post from second-son-in-law and self-proclaimed 'writer', Benjie Seewald.

And guess what the writer-wanna-be wrote:  an entire sermon which he actually plagiarized from another website!!!!!!!!!!   I kid you not.  Here's the original he plagiarized:

https://jeremyvuolo.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/have-you-thought-about-grace-today/

And here is Benjie's plagiarized version:

http://theseewaldfamily.com/blog?ID=f64eda87-c993-47a3-8593-dc31fccb6395

I guess Ben Seewald never read the Bible verse "Thou shalt not steal."  And, since he never studied journalism, he probably never read anything about copyright infringement, either: "The law provides a range from $200 to $150,000 for each work infringed. Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs."

And this guy wants to be a preacher and show us all the right way to live!  (By the way, no 'Happy birthday wish to brother-in-law Josh' on the Seewald family blog, nor 'Let brotherly love continue.')

10 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

You're not going to believe this one.  Just six hours after Jim Bob and Michelle's so-called 'Happy Birthday message to first-born Josh" on their Facebook page, they posted a message to divert our attention to a newly published sermon/post from second-son-in-law and self-proclaimed 'writer', Benjie Seewald.

And guess what the writer-wanna-be wrote:  an entire sermon which he actually plagiarized from another website!!!!!!!!!!   I kid you not.  Here's the original he plagiarized:

https://jeremyvuolo.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/have-you-thought-about-grace-today/

I guess Ben Seewald never read the Bible verse "Thou shalt not steal."  And, since he never studied journalism, he probably never read anything about copyright infringement, either: "The law provides a range from $200 to $150,000 for each work infringed. Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs."

And this guy wants to be a preacher and show us all the right way to live!  (By the way, no 'Happy birthday wish to brother-in-law Josh' on the Seewald family blog, nor 'Let brotherly love continue.')

Holy shit, it looks like he just copy-pasted the whole thing. I taught in a school that had a huge problem with copying and cheating, and even my most chronic, blatant cheaters knew to tweak one or two words when they plagiarized or copied.

11 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Ok first off on the Duggar's facebook they say "guest blog"
Secondly Jeremy Vuolo is mentioned as the author (see below).

Whether or not they obtained permission to do so I do not know.

seewald.png.18f67fc2e2962138880a518aed70

7 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

Ok first off on the Duggar's facebook they say "guest blog"
Secondly Jeremy Vuolo is mentioned as the author (see below).

Whether or not they obtained permission to do so I do not know.

seewald.png.18f67fc2e2962138880a518aed70

Seems I spoke too soon, then.

8 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Seems I spoke too soon, then.

Ben's post was made without a copyright notice for Jeremy Vuolo and without any indication that Vuolo knew Ben was publishing his work.  There is no personal message from Vuolo that he agreed to this at all.  You can't copy and paste 1,200 words of content from another website without permission.  

On 2/28/2016 at 11:47 AM, quiverofdoubt said:

From my understanding at the time they wrote 20 and counting at least, they don't believe in health insurance. I don't remember if that extends to life insurance. They believe insurance is a form of gambling, and therefore forbidden by the bible. So they pay for dentists appts (non filmed by tlc) and hospital stays etc out of pocket.  They don't care where the insurance comes from, just insurance in general is evil because jesus.  I don't know how they feel about being forced to pay car insurance, as it's illegal to not have it.

No way in heck they paid for Josie's care. I was a group medical underwriter right out of college. Even back then (1980s), the costs of caring for a preemie normally reached catastrophic levels, like a million dollars. This was before micropreemies survived to the degree they do now. Josie's care was definitely several million dollars. The Duggars are lying liers who lie.

7 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Ben's post was made without a copyright notice for Jeremy Vuolo and without any indication that Vuolo knew Ben was publishing his work.  There is no personal message from Vuolo that he agreed to this at all.  You can't copy and paste 1,200 words of content from another website without permission.  

Except....Jeebus.

These fundies never cease to entertain me at this point lolol. No wonder they all hide behind a cult. Normal outside society would eat them all alive.

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

No way in heck they paid for Josie's care. I was a group medical underwriter right out of college. Even back then (1980s), the costs of caring for a preemie normally reached catastrophic levels, like a million dollars. This was before micropreemies survived to the degree they do now. Josie's care was definitely several million dollars. The Doggars are lying liers who lie.

What? You have a fucking baby in the verge of death and you have to pay six lifetimes of work? You don't have to actually pay it, right?

Insurance might kick in a bit if you have it. But usually, no, you wouldn't pay all of it. You'd likely negotiate a payment plan for a while, then offer a lump sum for a fraction of the balance. Hospitals would rather get something instead of nothing. But it's not uncommon for people to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills.

My nephew was born at 26 weeks after having a stroke in utero. He stayed in NICU for 7 weeks. His medical bills topped $250,000 but my SIL's insurance covered all but a couple thousand. She has epic insurance!

7 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

What? You have a fucking baby in the verge of death and you have to pay six lifetimes of work? You don't have to actually pay it, right?

The insurance company pays it, which for employer provided plans means the employer pays it (the bulk of employer plan premiums are for paying claims). Most plans include an out of pocket maximum after which the insured pays no more, typically a few thousand dollars. Very low or no income people have Medicaid or their States version of Medicaid. Yes, NICU care is astronomically expensive. Even with discounts and negotiated fees the cost is going to be mind-numbingly high. 

8 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

Insurance might kick in a bit if you have it. But usually, no, you wouldn't pay all of it. You'd likely negotiate a payment plan for a while, then offer a lump sum for a fraction of the balance. Hospitals would rather get something instead of nothing. But it's not uncommon for people to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills.

My nephew was born at 26 weeks after having a stroke in utero. He stayed in NICU for 7 weeks. His medical bills topped $250,000 but my SIL's insurance covered all but a couple thousand. She has epic insurance!

Yes I addressed the impact of insurance on a reply post. Note that coverage varies by employer plan, some pay more, some pay less. Obama care removed catastrophic limits (one of its benefits) because employer insurance often capped out at a lifetime limit of one million or so. One preemie could wipe that out.

There is the "rack" rate medical providers charge, then there are the negotiated rates charged to preferred providers and the like. Providers are known to negotiate with the uninsured. There is wide variety in charges for the same service. Medical bills are a leading reason for personal bankruptcy, along with job loss. Horrible.

20 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

The insurance company pays it, which for employer provided plans means the employer pays it (the bulk of employer plan premiums are for paying claims). Most plans include an out of pocket maximum after which the insured pays no more, typically a few thousand dollars. Very low or no income people have Medicaid or their States version of Medicaid. Yes, NICU care is astronomically expensive. Even with discounts and negotiated fees the cost is going to be mind-numbingly high. 

Yes I addressed the impact of insurance on a reply post. Note that coverage varies by employer plan, some pay more, some pay less. Obama care removed catastrophic limits (one of its benefits) because employer insurance often capped out at a lifetime limit of one million or so. One preemie could wipe that out.

There is the "rack" rate medical providers charge, then there are the negotiated rates charged to preferred providers and the like. Providers are known to negotiate with the uninsured. There is wide variety in charges for the same service. Medical bills are a leading reason for personal bankruptcy, along with job loss. Horrible.

Except JB's insurance was a private one that he paid for out of pocket. Not a nice plan through an employer, but something he bought as an individual or self-employed. This was well before obama care too.  So even if his insurance helped a lot, i doubt it was nearly as nice as having insurance through a large company. He was probably still on the hook for a lot of money, between josie and michelle's care. But he had tlc money at the time, and the episodes on josie's health dramas probably brought in a lot of viewers.  (and how sick and twisted is that?)

21 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Except JB's insurance was a private one that he paid for out of pocket. Not a nice plan through an employer, but something he bought as an individual or self-employed. This was well before obama care too.  So even if his insurance helped a lot, i doubt it was nearly as nice as having insurance through a large company. He was probably still on the hook for a lot of money, between josie and michelle's care. But he had tlc money at the time, and the episodes on josie's health dramas probably brought in a lot of viewers.  (and how sick and twisted is that?)

Yes, few individual plans cover as much or are as affordable as group plans. JB accepted whatever help he could get to address those medical bills, to even infer that he paid them all is crap. I just detest his smug we are so self sufficient BS. Ugh, I have to move away from the Duggars now, can't stand them and I'm getting all crusty about it and it is too early for that.

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

and this is the crux of Ben's problem in life.  I think this Jeremy guy is his friend who was in the baby shower episode

But Ben seems to be always trying to cut things to make them like he did it first or said it first

He is not original and he is desperately trying to be relevant and edgy and it's not working - he is constantly missing the point.  He doesn't seem to be original or funny or even knowledge about things you should or shouldn't do. 

someone should call him out on it 

plus I hope he doesn't get money every time someone goes on that blog of his. 

20 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

Mine is the same way- straight as a pin. And my friends all hate me because I don't own a flat iron and use my blow dryer maybe 10 times a year. Wash and go is the definition of my hair

Mine too. After a few miserable teenage years trying to force my hair into a perfect Farrah Fawcett hairdo, I finally surrendered. 

I'm much happier letting my hair do what it wants to ;)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived