IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

On January 26, 2016 at 0:55 PM, RosyDaisy said:

Alabama here. Yes it is. I just love it when people who have never lived in the South try explaining my culture to me. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like racism, religion, etc.

Mississippi here which is the queen of Redneck states in most people's minds.  When someone bashes MS or the South (not just on here but in RL and other forums) I just want to say, ya know, we wear shoes and everthang!  The South truly does have it's on unique culture.  I am American by birth, but I am Southern by the Grace of G@d!

Oh and I actually make chicken spaghetti AND hash brown casserole on occasion. ( made this one tonight actually)  Yes they are unhealthy but they are actually quite tasty if you tweak the recipes! It's not something I cook on a regular basis however but sometimes, you need a quick throw together meal.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we sure as hell don't act like the faux rednecks on reality tv. Oh, and certain Southern sub-cultures are kind of matriarchal. The men may the breadwinners, but the women run the house. The women are definitely not submissive fundie SAHM.

12 hours ago, Piano gal said:

My grandmother always called Piggly Wiggly the "Hoggly Woggly".

My granddaddy did the same!  :kitty-wink:

34 minutes ago, librarychick said:

Mississippi here which is the queen of Redneck states in most people's minds.  When someone bashes MS or the South (not just on here but in RL and other forums) I just want to say, ya know, we wear shoes and everthang!  The South truly does have it's on unique culture.  I am American by birth, but I am Southern by the Grace of G@d!

Oh and I actually make chicken spaghetti AND hash brown casserole on occasion. ( made this one tonight actually)  Yes they are unhealthy but they are actually quite tasty if you tweak the recipes! It's not something I cook on a regular basis however but sometimes, you need a quick throw together meal.

What is hash brown casserole? I'm from Australia and have never heard of it.

4 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

The Publix chain in Florida IS pretty average.  But it seems to be outstanding every where else I have been.

That's so odd to me since Publix is headquartered and was founded in FL.
Publix was our neighborhood grocery store in the 60's & 70's.  I have great memories as a kid.  I saw quite a few C & D list celebs in there too since the local dinner theater was next door.  Gavin McLeod was a total dick to me when I was 10. :)  

16 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I love Memphis! :) A few years ago my sister and I drove from LA to ATL (one of my favorite vacations ever!) and I was in charge of finding fun stuff for us to do.  I searched online for attractions in Memphis but the Pink Palace and PW exhibit never came up. :( I'm definitely doing that next time! 

We saw the Peabody Hotel's duck parade- I highly recommend it!  :D

After the parade we ate lunch in one of the the restaurants in the Peabody. We just ordered cheeseburgers and fries but the service was incredible.  Our coke bottles came on ice in a champagne bucket.  Our waiter even 'uncorked' them for us. :D

We drove past Graceland on the way to eat some fantastic BBQ.  There was a problem with us getting a tour, I can't remember what it was.  I think they had sold out of tickets that day and we couldn't stay overnight. Something like that.   :(

We headed to Tupelo next to see the king's birthplace.  It was kind of funny, we were looking for the address and we were sure we were in the wrong place.  My sister was driving and she said that the car kind of took over and drove itself to the right spot.  This happened to us once before when we were searching for the Brady Bunch house.  The pull of popular culture is strong, I guess. ;)

It was so cool to see where Elvis came from and what he still means to the people in MS .  Good times. :D

Memphis has got to be one of the coolest places ever.  My hubby and I took our "honeymoon" there 2 years ago.  (We'll be married for 15 years in August, but we could never afford a honeymoon.)  I didn't see anything about the Pink Palace when we were looking for things to do, either.  We had talked about going to Vegas, but it was SO expensive.  Then, he suggested taking me to Graceland.  I'm a HUGE Elvis fan and had dreamt of going since I was a little girl.  We did the VIP tour.  SOOO cool!  We didn't make it to Tupelo, but we did go to the Crossroads and ate at Morgan Freedman's restaurant, the Ground Zero Blues Club.  AWESOME food and a very cool place.  

The Peabody ducks were so fun!  We saw them, too.  We also rode the trolley.  We went to Sun Studio and the Gibson guitar factory.  We did Beale Street.  We also went to Nashville and did the Ryman and the Johnny Cash museum, the American Pickers store.  We had SO much fun.  I'd love to go back.  

Every region of the country is targeted by unfair stereotypes. I'm from New England and I can't tell you how many times I've heard or seen people saying we're all elitist snobs (we aren't, we just like personal space a bit more than others do.)

That said, the south does seem to be targeted on a more consistent basis than other regions are. I'm not entirely sure why - maybe hard feelings over past events (recent or not)? Any ideas?

My dad hated Georgia when he was stationed there in the 70's. He claims it was Hell on Earth because it was so humid and there were so many bugs - and this is a man who served a year in Vietnam (he did like other areas of the South)! My husband, on the other hand, liked visiting Charlotte, Charleston, and Atlanta for work. He said the food was always great - which isn't a surprise because it almost always looks delicious on Food Network. :pb_lol:

12 hours ago, jcanglin991 said:

The second year we told the new teacher about the problems and she said she had to take classes to learn it so she didn't expect us to know how.

What I really don't understand about common core (being non-us) is why no one has made a comprehensive website for parents showing the how and why it maths is being done this way. So you know if the parents don't understand homework they can look it up or sit their child in font of the relevant video of the concept for extra help.

If the teachers needed to be trained then they should have expected parents to need help. Or should have decided that the next generation don't get maths homework. 

Why is it so important that parents can't help? Mine never helped. Homework is for the kids to do, not the parents. Am I just being obtuse? I don't have kids, and maybe times have changed and its the norm now?

I don't think Michigan has many stereotypes? The only one I can think of is our obnoxious, nasally vowels (I'm looking at you, Rick Snyder) in the LP and our pseudo-Canadian accents in the UP.

Oh, and those shitty Detroit jokes. 

15 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Where is the damn common core conversation??? Can someone just kill me now? 6th grade geometry is going to kill me or my grand daughter! Yikes!

Yikes indeed!! I had problems with basic high school geometry...couldn't imagine being a 6th grader trying to figure it out! :my_sad:

26 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Why is it so important that parents can't help? Mine never helped. Homework is for the kids to do, not the parents. Am I just being obtuse? I don't have kids, and maybe times have changed and its the norm now?

This drives me crazy as well.  My parents rarely gave me help with homework.  I really didn't have much at all until high school and that was mostly research papers, etc.  I don't have kids either, if I did I would certainly help them, but I have heard several coworkers say they spend hours per night with their  kids on homework.  (these are supposedly quite talented kids)  It's almost like another 2 hours of schooling.  I don't know what they are doing exactly, but I hope they are not actually doing the work for them!   

43 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I don't get this either. My parents didn't speak English and didn't have much formal education so it didn't even occur to them to help us--or us to ask for help. I never got the impression when I was in school that homework was supposed to be perfect--it was about us practicing at home what we learned in school.

Math was one of my best subjects, but looking at some of the common core stuff...it makes very little sense to me. I've seen a few decent explanations for why it's a good way to teach, and while I don't totally agree I can see the reasoning. But it's such a completely different way to learn math that it's unfair to switch tactics on students. The fact that kids like my nephew who always did well in math are now getting failing grades is a problem with the method, not the students. They should just have started common core with the current kindergarten students and let the ones who were already learning math continue with their current method.

Parents are having to help with common core because the kids are not getting enough classroom time to master it. I gave the example above of having one nightmare year with constant tears and frustration and then a second year when the teacher acknowledged that she had to be the one to make sure the students understood because the parents did not learn math this way. Common core was just one more method someone came up with to sell  to the schools. Teachers were not on board with it in my state. The governor did not want it at first then suddenly he did. Thankfully he is not our governor anymore . What a lot of people don't realize  is that there are a lot of jurisdictions  where Bill Gothard's "educational" materials are used. He even has a prison program that he has sold to many prisons. A lot of these programs are being put into the schools with very little input from professionals. It's  like any other area of government, friends  help friends get ahead and make money. I know this is a cynical viewpoint, but I have worked in state government  and have seen it in action.

One of the last acceptable forms of discrimination is against those of us who live in mobile homes. I live in a nice place complete with paved roads and driveways and mature trees. It backs up to a park. The price is right and allows me to complete my MFA without incurring debt. Yay!

50 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I didn't realize that they switched all grades instead of just the incoming cohorts! What a mess. Who made that decision?emoji14.png

From what I understand, states made that decision in order to ensure federal money for their schools. States were told to improve their educational standards or else, and to be fair, Common Core standards are--on paper, at least--a huge improvement over what many states had, and it was an easy thing to implement in the sense that it came as a set package that claimed to fix what was broken in education. Kids would be required to write a lot more, which is good because colleges continuously complain about the abysmal writing abilities of incoming students; they'd have to learn to read much more carefully; they'd need to learn how to actually work out math problems instead of relying on memorization, formulas, and algorithms.  No one seemed to consider that teachers needed to be thoroughly trained in a new method of teaching and that it was such a departure from the way kids had been learning previously that there needed to be an adjustment period.

ETA: To be clear, iirc the federal government doesn't specifically require Common Core, it's just what states chose  to use.

My grandkids have about an hour or two (depending on the child) worth of homework every night except Friday. They have math, spelling, social studies, science, books reports and poems. I certainly do not do the kids homework, but there are the occasions that they don't understand something and come to me for help. I usually end up studying the previous chapter in the math book and can usually figure it out. If not, that particular question doesn't get done and she asks her teacher the next day.

I don't think Michigan has many stereotypes? The only one I can think of is our obnoxious, nasally vowels (I'm looking at you, Rick Snyder) in the LP and our pseudo-Canadian accents in the UP.

Oh, and those shitty Detroit jokes. 

Michigan totally has stereotypes! Let's start with that whore Ann Arbor! ;-)

Sorry. I'm from Ohio. I had to. In reality, Michigan is a much better school than Ohio State. We're just bitter.

The stereotypes about Seattle/Pacific NW are pretty true....if you're in the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area!  I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.  Why waste money?), work in tech, drive a Subaru, have a tendency towards elitism in terms of education, trail run, etc. etc.

Whenever Fundies in WA are discussed, there's always the "but Washington is so LIBERAL!", to which as a Washington Native I have to explain that the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area is very liberal AND contains enough voters to generally carry the state.  However, there are large geographic stretches of Washington that are INTENSELY conservative and incredibly prickly about being constantly forgotten about by the wider world.  But I mean, come on.  How are people supposed to know about the demographics of George?  And why should they?  I mean, WE don't even like to talk about the Sand People.  You shouldn't have to either.

8 hours ago, Percy said:

What is hash brown casserole? I'm from Australia and have never heard of it.

It's a version of the infamous Tater Tot casserole only you use frozen hash brown potatoes instead of nasty tater tots which I hate. My version is still not that healthy but a much better version than the Duggars recipe.  Like I said, I do not make it very often but sometimes it's a good comfort food or a yikes, it's the end of the month, what is left in the freezer type food. Lol 

13 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

The stereotypes about Seattle/Pacific NW are pretty true....if you're in the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area!  I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.  Why waste money?), work in tech, drive a Subaru, have a tendency towards elitism in terms of education, trail run, etc. etc.

Whenever Fundies in WA are discussed, there's always the "but Washington is so LIBERAL!", to which as a Washington Native I have to explain that the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area is very liberal AND contains enough voters to generally carry the state.  However, there are large geographic stretches of Washington that are INTENSELY conservative and incredibly prickly about being constantly forgotten about by the wider world.  But I mean, come on.  How are people supposed to know about the demographics of George?  And why should they?  I mean, WE don't even like to talk about the Sand People.  You shouldn't have to either.

Very much like CA.

@VelociRapture, a lot of us fans of Top Chef wonder when they are going to do a season in either Charleston or Atlanta.  Hugh Acheson is a frequent judge and has highly acclaimed restaurants in Atlanta and Athens.   He's not the only great chef from Atlanta and Charleston is renowned for it cuisine.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived