IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

17 hours ago, twinmama said:

But the problem is that she looks like a micropreemie, but those looks don't mean she has delays. Her prematurity puts her at a higher risk for them, but bug eyes and a big forehead don't mean anything in regards to that. My boys didn't have the preemie look, other 29 weekers do, all of them are at risk for the same things. It's not so much that I care if someone notices a former micropreemie that looks like that and pays closer attention for delays, it's that they don't pay closer attention UNLESS they have the look. Then things can get missed

I feel like this poor horse has been beaten to death but since you quoted me I'll attempted to clarify a bit more.  

Josie is not a FLK, she's a micropreemie. I didn't bring up the term FLK, just explained it.  When I was teaching in a very poor area I knew almost nothing of my students home lives or medical issues.  I saw a lot of fetal alcohol syndrome, and a few preemies. But not knowing or diagnosing these things the term FLK gets thrown out there. 

To be fair FLK are not UGLY kids.  They just have something about them that set off alarm belbs for those in the know.  

I think the OP brought up the term to point out that even if we didn't know about a Josies birth, a qualified caregiver would still be looking closely at that child's development

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was about 17.5 years ago that I dealt with my son's food issues. I had to carry everything he ate around with me. He could eat pears.....but had to be organic as conventional fruit put a sore in his mouth.

People behaved as if I was doing this for fun. Really. It is so much better now. People looked at me so strangely. But I didn't care because if he ate something he shouldn't he got a migraine and screamed for hours. Still, people were rude. 

It seems to me that there are so many more problems with food now. Don't know what to say about that. And peanut butter allergies were unheard of when I was growing up back in the day. 

That people would think I wanted to go to that much trouble. Traveling was stressful. Now, people are more used to it. Whatever you call it, allergy, intolerance.....it is real. And on some level, kind of a mystery in some ways. But real. 

I feel sick to my stomach all over again being reminded of that Chickenetti recipe. I don't look down on people who use canned soup in meals. I cook my pork chops in cream of mushroom, because damn it, it's good, but that recipe is a hot mess.

I bet Jill is quiet about this Zika virus because she's already pregnant. It's not like she'd pay attention to it anyways. Godly Jill who was blessed with a honeymoon baby? Jesus will protect her. 

In university they taught us something along the lines of "When you see a FLK, first, take a look at the parents. Not sure if funny or just genetics" :P

And now to something completely different - watching 14 children and pregnant again, and Michelle was so pretty as a teenager! Now she just looks so lost, and frazzled... 

Doesn't FLK refer to kids who only *look* like there's something off with them but are actually fine? We know Josie's a micropremie, so FLK doesn't apply to her. Plus she looks exactly like Michelle, and as attractive as she is/was, the kids who most resemble her go through the longest, most painful awkward phases imaginable.

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

It seems to me that there are so many more problems with food now. Don't know what to say about that. And peanut butter allergies were unheard of when I was growing up back in the day. 

They were unheard of because those kids just died suddenly and no one knew why at the time. 

Is it common for the South to get kind of bashed in this forum?  I've noticed a few comments that got my dander up, but I chalked it up to being too sensitive.  

Alabama here. Yes it is. I just love it when people who have never lived in the South try explaining my culture to me. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like racism, religion, etc.

3 hours ago, nst said:

well if that is true i hope she is getting some help and i give her props for being able to get married and perhaps the pregnancy and labour brought up something 

maybe we are overthinking this a bit - maybe the reason she is not pregnant is because her and Derick never had sex again because she emotionally can't 

and i am being serious - it would explain a lot 

She's probably just nursing and hasn't had her cycle returned, perfectly normal. I didn't get mine back until 7 and 8 months out (respectively) and some people take even longer (some sooner too) and you can't tell by looking at someone to know who's body is going to do what. ANd as far as I can tell, she was still nursing.

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Lactose intolerance is rarely seen in infants.  It's something that occurs later.  There is a condition -galactosemia- that does preclude which does preclude feeding of any mammalian milks.  Artificial milks such as soy formula (with no lactose) are OK.  Lactose overload is fairly common though.  It does not mean that the baby should be weaned, but that breastfeeding should be better managed to reduce the oversupply as the foremilk is higher in lactose.  If, and this is a big IF, Josie had a problem with lactose, it was probably due to lactose overload as the Dairy Queen had a huge supply. 

Some mothers do find that they need to watch their diets carefully and avoid any dairy proteins and occasionally even beef proteins. These moms learn to label read very well to avoid the suspect ingredients.

There is a condition called MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) that isn't very well understood. Some research is pointing to it being the or an underlying issue in colic and reflux. One of my babies had multiple intolerances to the proteins in dairy, soy, even things as innocuous as rice that were passed through my milk. I did a very strict elimination diet for over 6 mos. It's different from lactose intolerance in adults or the overload from oversupply or fore/hind milk imbalance or a true dairy allergy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_soy_protein_intolerance

Anyway, Josie may have been milk protein intolerant and required special formula if DQ wouldn't do the crazy strict diet. It's not for everyone. I believe MSPI issues are more common in preemies because their guts are more immature. 

3 hours ago, nst said:

well if that is true i hope she is getting some help and i give her props for being able to get married and perhaps the pregnancy and labour brought up something 

maybe we are overthinking this a bit - maybe the reason she is not pregnant is because her and Derick never had sex again because she emotionally can't 

and i am being serious - it would explain a lot 

Pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding can be very problematic for survivors of sexual abuse.  (I have been doing breastfeeding support for over 30 years and this is my understanding.)  Some survivors have real difficulty in putting their babies to breast.  How they handle that unease depends on the woman.  Some women do not and really cannot breastfeed at all.  Other women can breastfeed, but they do limit their breastfeeding to some extent, e.g. not nursing for as many months as they might like or not nursing as much for comfort.  A few women just put up with the unease and antsy feelings.  Some women exclusively pump and bottle feed their milk to their babies while other women cannot even handle pumping.  It depends a bit on how much their breasts were the focus of the abuse.

Just got home from shopping at Metro, typical base grocery run. Never felt one way or another about it. Now that I know other people are shopping at Piggly Wiggly it seemed so bland and boring there.

I will not google actual images of  Piggly Wiggly, I don't want to know the reality of it.

5 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Sorry, I really don't pay attention to other kids ages- even personal friends. I have to do math to remember my own.  (that IS not an exaggeration, either :( )  My daughter is 3.5  actually, I think she was 3.5 a few months ago? I just remember her birthday. I have to use an app to remember what week of pregnancy i'm in.   To be honest, a 7 month old could be one who just turned seven months, or is seven months and 3.5 weeks. So I could've been close.  Either way, most parents are advised to stop swaddling at 3 months, if not before. And it's not used as discipline or with an upset baby.  I just don't understand what she was attempting to do there, at all.

No apology necessary; my comment wasn't directed at you in particular, and I wrote it in a moment of frustration so it may have come off harsher than it should have. :)

I'm not kidding~  CNN just reported that one of the first cases of ZIKA virus was found in Arkansas.  And, they are suspecting that Zika is sexually transmitted as well as  by mosquitoes.  They have found the virus in semen.

What is Jillie going to do?  There is no safe place now to procreate her "tons of kids."

And what will churches do regarding contraception and preventing this terrible disease?

4 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

It's possible Jill has not gotten the word on the Zika Virus.

If Jill completely has her head in the sand (entirely plausible, but I would have thought that Derek might keep his finger on the pulse a bit more), then it is possible that Jill may not have gotten the word on Zika virus. However, I live in Brazil and Zika virus has been a pretty big news item here for at least 4-5 months, and people have been talking quite a lot about it. Countries in South and Central America do have their own media, which reports on issues effecting them and their communities.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised that it's taken as long as it has for the news to reach North America and the rest of the world.   

Jill and Derick have been quiet on Social Media for the last 2 weeks, now it comes out that an Akansas resident has tested positive for the Zika virus. Hmmm? 

2 hours ago, Catey said:

Just got home from shopping at Metro, typical base grocery run. Never felt one way or another about it. Now that I know other people are shopping at Piggly Wiggly it seemed so bland and boring there.

I will not google actual images of  Piggly Wiggly, I don't want to know the reality of it.

Not sure if you're bashing the Pig, but I :my_heart: the Pig.

24 minutes ago, unforgiving said:

If Jill completely has her head in the sand (entirely plausible, but I would have thought that Derek might keep his finger on the pulse a bit more), then it is possible that Jill may not have gotten the word on Zika virus. However, I live in Brazil and Zika virus has been a pretty big news item here for at least 4-5 months, and people have been talking quite a lot about it. Countries in South and Central America do have their own media, which reports on issues effecting them and their communities.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised that it's taken as long as it has for the news to reach North America and the rest of the world.   

Part of the reason the news reached here is that we're seeing our first cases:  women who'd been in affected countries.

As for Jillie....One, they don't news, and two, they don't believe it applies to them.  Jebus, you know.

3 minutes ago, gustava said:

Not sure if you're bashing the Pig, but I :my_heart: the Pig.

Not at all, I am intrigued by the name. I shop at Metro, given the option of a Piggly Wiggly which seems more fun to you?

Again I will not google this and ruin my fantasy but I see a brightly coloured store with popcorn machines, and cashiers dressed as teddy bears. It just makes my poor Metro seem so bland.

3 minutes ago, gustava said:

Part of the reason the news reached here is that we're seeing our first cases:  women who'd been in affected countries.

As for Jillie....One, they don't news, and two, they don't believe it applies to them.  Jebus, you know.

That's true, but if she's been going around visiting birth clinics and the like, I would have thought it would have come up. Having said that, I have no idea how long Zika Virus has been in El Salvador for, so maybe not.

Piggly Wiggly is actually a franchise so each store can vary. We have one in the town I grew up in (WI) and it's looking a little run down these days- inside and out. No fun shopping carts or cashiers wearing pig noses or anything out there. Pretty bland and just your run of the mill grocery store. Their prices are high except when there's a sale, then they have some pretty awesome deals that I stock up on. Especially on meat that is usually obtained from a local butcher. In the town I live now (still WI) there is also a Pig and its pretty much the same as the one in my old town just a little bigger and brighter/cleaner on the inside. They run the same deals though. So yeah, I love the pig when there's a sale :my_biggrin:

6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Is it common for the South to get kind of bashed in this forum?  I've noticed a few comments that got my dander up, but I chalked it up to being too sensitive.  

From time to time.  Georgia here.  It probably would get my dander up too if I weren't too busy giving myself insulin injections so I can drink more sweet tea.  Oh wait, I don't drink sweet tea or have diabetes.  I meant to say that I'm too busy cleaning my guns to be sensitive.

OK, I'm terrified of the Zika virus. We're in northern new mexico, but it's not like mosquitos get stopped by borders, or asked for passports. I'm pregnant right now, and am not sure number 2 will be my last. Yet to remain decided. I'm just very thankful right now that 1) it's much too cold for mosquitos here right now 2) I will deliver before we see our local mosquito season and 3) we get very few mosquitos here during the summer.  But it's still very scary to me.

11 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

OK, I'm terrified of the Zika virus. We're in northern new mexico, but it's not like mosquitos get stopped by borders, or asked for passports. I'm pregnant right now, and am not sure number 2 will be my last. Yet to remain decided. I'm just very thankful right now that 1) it's much too cold for mosquitos here right now 2) I will deliver before we see our local mosquito season and 3) we get very few mosquitos here during the summer.  But it's still very scary to me.

It's completely understandable to be scared! I'm glad that you'll deliver before mosquito season. I'm no where near having kids and it scares me. Just thinking about how far it could spread, how many babies could be affected, and how long it will take to understand and develop a vaccine is scary.

On whether or not Jill and Derrick know about Zika: If they don't have wifi and don't understand Spanish well enough to have conversations with the community  or read newspapers then their access to news is fairly limited. They'll have to depend on their Spanish teacher or fellow missioncationers to tell them. But they'd have to live in a really thick bubble not to know about it. 

Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

FoIt's completely understandable to be scared! I'm glad that you'll deliver before mosquito season. I'm no where near having kids and it scares me. Just thinking about how far it could spread, how many babies could be affected, and how long it will take to understand and develop a vaccine is scary.

On whether or not Jill and Derrick know about Zika: If they don't have wifi and don't understand Spanish well enough to have conversations with the community  or read newspapers then their access to news is fairly limited. They'll have to depend on their Spanish teacher or fellow missioncationers to tell them. But they'd have to live in a really thick bubble not to know about it. 

For better or worse, once it hits the us, research will go into high gear. It's sad, but because it's in south america there will be little research done I'm afraid. I'm thinking once americans are getting affected money will pour in to research, vaccine possibilities, virus and mosquito control etc etc.

My husband just came back from China, where no one speaks english and western visitors are not all that common. Even then, he had access to a daily english newspaper. Granted, it was heavily propagandized. But still.  I can't imagine they don't have access to some english speakers or newspapers where they are. Enough that you'd really have to bury your head not to hear about the zika warnings. I feel like this would be some of the biggest news in the country right now.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived