IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

Just now, quiverofdoubt said:

OK, I'm terrified of the Zika virus. We're in northern new mexico, but it's not like mosquitos get stopped by borders, or asked for passports. I'm pregnant right now, and am not sure number 2 will be my last. Yet to remain decided. I'm just very thankful right now that 1) it's much too cold for mosquitos here right now 2) I will deliver before we see our local mosquito season and 3) we get very few mosquitos here during the summer.  But it's still very scary to me.

I'm terrified of it as well, I think anyone rational would be.  We were in Florida a few months ago, they had tuns of mosquitos so its just impossible for me to totally rest easy even with the foot of snow on the ground!  

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto the Zika virus paranoia. I'm also pregnant, and had my first prenatal appointment yesterday. My doctor asked me if I've been to South America, Central America or the Caribbean in the past 4 months. I'm one of those people that mosquitoes don't seem to like, I could be sitting next to someone getting attacked repeatedly by the things and they would just pass me right by, but it still freaks me out. Apparently mosquitos are attracted to pregnant women, because of increased body heat and exhalation of carbon dioxide. All the more reason to stay out of the muggy Southern heat this summer during my third trimester!  

2 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

For better or worse, once it hits the us, research will go into high gear. It's sad, but because it's in south america there will be little research done I'm afraid. I'm thinking once americans are getting affected money will pour in to research, vaccine possibilities, virus and mosquito control etc etc.

My husband just came back from China, where no one speaks english and western visitors are not all that common. Even then, he had access to a daily english newspaper. Granted, it was heavily propagandized. But still.  I can't imagine they don't have access to some english speakers or newspapers where they are. Enough that you'd really have to bury your head not to hear about the zika warnings. I feel like this would be some of the biggest news in the country right now.

Having a really hard time imagining any Duggar reading a newspaper.

They have or had access to the internet because they posted pictures of screaming Izzy. Perhaps they don't have it now, but I'm sure the family has some way to contact them in an emergency.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Bad Wolf 

They have or had access to the internet because they posted pictures of screaming Izzy. Perhaps they don't have it now, but I'm sure the family has some way to contact them in an emergency

carrier pigeon  or Mike Shadt

10 minutes ago, KSmom said:

Having a really hard time imagining any Duggar reading a newspaper.

Damned good point. But I bet it's a headline, that's hard to miss, right? right?? no. you're right... 

I made the same point earlier in this thread about Jill and Derrick possibly not knowing about the Zika virus. But someone responded that possibly TLC, if they are down there filming J&D, would be telling them about it. Also if they are involved in SOS Ministries, or whoever the hell they are missioning (lol) for, certainly they are informing all their missionaries about the dangers.

14 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I made the same point earlier in this thread about Jill and Derrick possibly not knowing about the Zika virus. But someone responded that possibly TLC, if they are down there filming J&D, would be telling them about it. Also if they are involved in SOS Ministries, or whoever the hell they are missioning (lol) for, certainly they are informing all their missionaries about the dangers.

I can see TLC giving them facts, but the other SOS people would probably talk about how there is a devastating virus and to pray extra hard. For themselves, who won't be touched because Jebus, and for the heathens who pray to the wrong Jebus.

5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Alabama here. Yes it is. I just love it when people who have never lived in the South try explaining my culture to me. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like racism, religion, etc.

Yeah, I responded yesterday to a comment that bothered me. Its one thing to single out something that you know to be true somewhere but quite another to paint an entire region of a country the size of ours as backward or lacking. I've always lived in Baton Rouge but I have traveled all over the country and fit in everywhere. We have a symphony, a little theater, a thriving restaurant and music scene,  major movies are filmed in the area on a regular basis and several tv shows are filmed here. We have an actual movie studio for God's sake. There's also a world class medical research facility here. We also have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market and several individually owned markets with any kind of specialty food, cheese or wine you could want. Not to mention the fact the people  here pride themselves on the quality of the food they cook and serve. 

Ok,  so hoping this isn't going to offend anyone, but back in my OB days,  FLK was a term commonly used to describe a newborn who had something off in their appearance.  It did not reference an ugly kid, but more something like ears were set lower than normal, as that can be a sign of certain genetic issues,  or a chin that was more recessed than you typically, see, again could be a sign of a more serious problem.    There are probably over a 1000 genetic issues that can occur, most of which are rare, and many of which are not overtly obvious at the time of birth.  But sometimes, when you see a boatload of babies over the course of your career, you will pick up on something that just looks "off" somehow and it may be nothing or it may warrant investigation. 

One kid I remember well, had something off about the eyes,  the nurse kept pushing for a work up, finally the pediatrician gave in and had an opthalmologist check the baby and sure enough the poor darling had a malignancy in the eye.  Another baby had a very odd hair whorl ( cowlick) and the hair in that whorl was completely different color than the rest of the baby's hair.  The baby ended up being deaf and it turns out that the hair whorl with the depigmented hair, is part of a genetic condition that also includes deafness.  

So while the term may seem really insensitive to some,  at it's root, is really a way to just describe your gut feeling that there may be something more going on with the baby. 

And by the way,  my daughter was somewhat of an FLK. She had an odd shape to her hand and had odd hand creases on her palm which are typically seen in kids with Down's Syndrome.  It can also not mean anything, which turned out to be the case for her, but they still were concerned enough to order some genetic tests.  She also didn't want to breathe at birth but all turned out well.  She is all grown up and wonderful, of course.

I would hope as missionaries that Jerick would be distributing mosquito spray and mosquito netting, and other mosquito interventions to those who can't afford it.  They could be going house to house looking for standing water or other evidence of mosquito breeding,  they could be educating on how to avoid being bitten, passing out citronella candles or bug zappers or something. 

To add to the FLK discussion, people in the medical field have a lot of acronyms that they use amongst themselves that the general public would find offensive. But it is a shorthand way of speaking and I am sure that no medical professional would ever use the terms in front of patients or families on purpose.

Before anyone jumps on my post, I assure you, I realize that somewhere, someone in the profession said it out loud and a patient or family member was offended.

Former social worker, I remember a nurse in ICU talking to a family about "circling the drain." I cringed.

8 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

To add to the FLK discussion, people in the medical field have a lot of acronyms that they use amongst themselves that the general public would find offensive. But it is a shorthand way of speaking and I am sure that no medical professional would ever use the terms in front of patients or families.

Before anyone jumps on my post, I assure you, I realize that somewhere, someone in the profession said it out loud and a patient or family member was offended.

Exactly.  Yes, I am sure someone somewhere has said it to the family, but there are idiots in all professions

I worked in an orthopedic surgeon's office decades ago, and one of the doctors had some very interesting acronyms meant for his eyes only... for example, he'd write "NTS" on the outside of a chart.  Meant  "Not Too Smart".   Yup, he was a rather arrogent gent...,

For a very funny read, including acronyms like FLK: try  The Secret Language of Doctors by Toronto-based ER physician Brian Goldman 

8 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Exactly.  Yes, I am sure someone somewhere has said it to the family, but there are idiots in all professions

CoughBenCarsoncough

18 minutes ago, calimojo said:

I would hope as missionaries that Jerick would be distributing mosquito spray and mosquito netting, and other mosquito interventions to those who can't afford it.  They could be going house to house looking for standing water or other evidence of mosquito breeding,  they could be educating on how to avoid being bitten, passing out citronella candles or bug zappers or something. 

Do they Dullards even know about mosquito interventions? Though now I'm curious if there are any legitimate organizations (re not SOS) that do this type of service and need donations so they can provide spray, zappers, and netting.

On January 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM, ladyaudley said:

Can I just show my appreciation for the fact that there is a supermarket chain in this world called Piggly Wiggly?? *squee*

*snip*

One day long ago I noticed a Piggly Wiggly had sprouted up in the outer suburbs of my city.  I had heard of the chain but I'd never seen one IRL before.

Whenever business took me out that way I would shop there... because Piggly Wiggly! :D

It was a tiny store. It reminded me of the only grocery store we had when I was a little kid in a small town in the south.  It was nostalgic and fun to shop there and I felt at home. 

Sadly that store has closed. :(

I think Piggly Wiggly is missing a marketing opportunity.  They have a built-in squee factor just from the name. I'd buy the t-shirt!  If they made their shopping carts into cute piggy carts they'd make bank, IMO. :)

Grocery shopping can be a drag but I bet PW could make it fun again. ;) 

Yep, each department/office/floor had their own acronyms. For example: lolnad= Little old lady in no apparent distress, GOMER=Get out of my ER,  among others. They are not meant to be derogatory, but a way of letting others know the severity/immediacy needed for the individual patient. Are they offensive to the patient? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would much rather have a nurse say to the doc, I have an FLK here, than to ignore his/her gut.

I think work humor is okay, but I do think sometimes those terms can be offensive. I know I've talked to several ER nurses who say nurses often have really bad attitudes about having to treat "gomers," and often patients do notice that. One of them said she used to feel that way herself until she started having anxiety attacks that were so frightening she went to the ER and she realized she had become one of those "gomers" that the staff dismiss.

I think everyone who has been through mental health treatment in a hospital for very long has stories of staff saying really awful and/or unprofessional things. I know no one will always be at their best, but when you're a patient you're typically feeling very vulnerable and those comments can really stick with you. I know the first time I was in the hospital one nurse said some things to me that she really should have kept to herself, and after that I avoided treatment for years because I was scared of having another judgmental nurse.

On the plus side, having had some bad nurses makes me appreciate all the good nurses (and doctors, but realistically nurses have a bigger impact on your experience) even more. They're human and probably don't always feel like being nice, but just being treated courteously can also mean a lot when you're that vulnerable.

14 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I never heard of piggly wiggly until now. Also the Zika virus has now been reported in Los Angeles. 

This Zika virus is a real nightmare. 

@Rachel333 I totally agree with you. There are good and bad in all professions. We always strived to treat all our patients, even gomers, with the utmost respect. Disrespect, or even the appearance of disrespect, was not tolerated. Having said that, I suspect all professions have their acronyms and we, as the public, never hear them.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

:whaa2:

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

[...]

Another baby had a very odd hair whorl ( cowlick) and the hair in that whorl was completely different color than the rest of the baby's hair.  The baby ended up being deaf and it turns out that the hair whorl with the depigmented hair, is part of a genetic condition that also includes deafness.  

[...]

Waardenburg Syndrome :) one of my buddies has that :)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived