IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

actually, i can answer this! i read the comments.  don't, btw.  She doesn't use fresh peppers- she actually uses a can of rotel, the kind that includes diced tomatoes and peppers together. This way nothing fresh has to go into it. And no one has to learn any knife skills, just can opening. Which they could teach a class on.

My soul just died a little.  

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Charliemae said:

That's the point.  She looks like a child with potential delays.  As a Childcare provider I'd make a mental note to keep a close eye on her development.  It's not a value judgment.  It's more a way for people who work with kids to put that feeling of something not quite right into words.

But the problem is that she looks like a micropreemie, but those looks don't mean she has delays. Her prematurity puts her at a higher risk for them, but bug eyes and a big forehead don't mean anything in regards to that. My boys didn't have the preemie look, other 29 weekers do, all of them are at risk for the same things. It's not so much that I care if someone notices a former micropreemie that looks like that and pays closer attention for delays, it's that they don't pay closer attention UNLESS they have the look. Then things can get missed.

As for childcare, I would hope that any parent of a premature baby, and especially a micropreemie, would let the childcare provider know about their birth! I even wrote about it on my boys' preschool application and talked to their teachers about it at our first orientation. And they were just 29 weekers without any delays.

I obviously can't look at this one objectively, I know that. I can't help but get huffy when people comment on how a micropreemie looks, clearly in comparison to a full term baby, because of everything the micropreemie went through to survive. No third trimester, lazing about a uterus chunking up and practicing breathing. Their eyes or heads may be a bit funky because all their energy had to go to learning to breathe and eat months before a full term baby.

4 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Most micro preemies have lifelong problems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3414833/Hidden-toll-premature-baby-Modern-medicine-helped-defy-odds-generation-ultra-premature-babies-grow-struggles-far-over.html

Knowing this, Michelle went on to try for baby # 20 in her failing uterus.  That fetus died in utero.  Instead of dealing with Josie's special needs, Michelle is still trying for another pregnancy.  Michelle is obsessed with pregnancy, not with motherhood.  If Michelle wanted to mother her children, she would have stopped giving birth long ago and mothered the children already born.

First in that article, "Newborns weren't offered care if they weighed under 1kg, or 2.2lb" It is always shocking that if my kids were born just 10-20 years ago, they wouldn't be here. They were 900ish grams, or 2lb. 

And I agree, it blows my mind that Michelle tried again after having Josie. If a micro was your first child and you really wanted more than one, I can see going for it again. But knowing how horrific NICU is to go through (as the parent and seeing what the baby goes through), I don't know how people can do it or risk it over and over.

And on the Jill topic, are they actually in El Salvador? Because I read today that the country has warned women in El Salvador to not get pregnant until 2018!!!!

Because I have nothing better to do and because it's kinda my profession, I took a stab and making the Chickenetti more edible/less deadly.

Chicken Etti

1 can of Rotel/low-sodium diced Tomatoes 

1 cup diced Mushrooms

1 Chopped Green Pepper

1 Clove Garlic

2 TBS Butter

2 TBS Flour

1 Onion, diced
1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup

1 cup of Milk

1 package of Spaghetti Noodles, whole grain if possible

3 cups diced chicken breasts, skinless

1 Cup low-fat Mozzarella 

Fry the garlic, onion, mushroom and peppers with the chicken in a bit of oil until browned. Make a roux out of the butter, flour, milk. Add the vegetables and chicken and stir well. Put the cooked spaghetti in. Sprinkle cheese and bake.

Still high in calories/saturated fat but at least it has some nutritional value and wil certainly taste better. :tw_blush:

I understand growing up poor, did that myself, but as adults with plenty of money there is no excuse to keep eating processed crap like velveeta on a regular basis.

AFAIC, if there's even a chance that Jilly Muffin is pregnant or going to become pregnant soon, they should get the hell out of there.  Why put a child at unnecessary risk?

I hope that Jill has bonded well with Israel.  I also hope she didn't mean what she said (on TV) about planning the same protections for her children as her parents did because of Josh.  Most male babies don't grow up to become child molesters, and shouldn't be treated as though it may happen without planned intervention.  That bothered me more than just about anything I've heard her say.

6 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

The Piggly Wigglys where I grew up in South Carolina are awesome. They have all the best local produce. Green peanuts, field peas, sweet corn, tomatoes....yum!

Of course, the Duggars could walk into the fanciest grocery store on earth and walk out with only the basic ingredients for tater tot casserole and chickenetti.

Back to Jill, I get the feeling that she may very well be overwhelmed, but too smug to admit it. 

I just like saying Piggly Wiggly

Piggly Wiggly

Piggly Wiggly

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Lactose intolerance is rarely seen in infants.  It's something that occurs later.  There is a condition -galactosemia- that does preclude which does preclude feeding of any mammalian milks.  Artificial milks such as soy formula (with no lactose) are OK.  Lactose overload is fairly common though.  It does not mean that the baby should be weaned, but that breastfeeding should be better managed to reduce the oversupply...

Lactose intolerance can happen with infants- both of mine were to varying degrees.  They were both bottle fed due to adoption so the overload thing probably wasn't it- we could monitor the exact amount they were eating.   #1 had horrible colic basically from day 1, which cleared up the instant we swapped formula.  #2 was cranky, again from day 1, and in our sleep deprived state we never thought about it, but it cleared instantly when we finally remembered.

Luckily it seems that both have outgrown it to a point- they can tolerate small amounts but like many black people they are always going to have trouble with milk.

This is my opinion on the healthy food eating issue. We have watched how the headship in this family behaves In public restaurants when it is "unknown" food items. Can you imagine what a complete ass he is at home without the cameras? I don't think JB cares about healthy food (shown by how funny he thought he and Josh's trainer was) nor does he ever plan to eat it. He is completely happy with a paper plate full of slop. If it is good enough for him, then it better be good enough for the rest of them.

Do you remember the show that was maybe Mechelle's birthday? Her favorite food was pinto beans and corn bread. I enjoy pinto beans and corn bread but would not consider it a favorite food for my birthday. I thought that told a lot about their eating habits in that episode.

I also found it very interesting when Jessa was showing off her new kitchen. She has an entire cabinet of spices in identical jars all lined up perfectly. Same brand. Same jar. I thought, "yeah, like she plans to ever open any of those."

The Duggars are lazy. So I don't see why their food habits would be any different.

I do fear Jill is going to have a breaking point. I fear she will be a long way from home and Derrick the dimwit will have no idea what to do so he will pray. That is a nice sentiment but not the help she will need. She has gotten married, had to talk about being molested, had a child, left the compound and then left the States all in a very short time. She is on sinking sand and I am not sure she will be able to find her footing.

12 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

People don't understand allergies or intolerance at all. I'm allergic to bananas and once in college at a nutrition class the Professor almost made me eat one.. Last time I accidentally ate a little piece of banana, I had anaphylaxis. No one believes i'm allergic to them or think it's f--ing funny:pb_mad:

I'm also lactose intolerant and I can't drink milk, I can eat cheese and yogurt but milk is out of the question, I have to be super careful when my mom cooks for me because she thinks my intolerance is crap and I'm just annoying, since I developed the intolerance when I was a teenager...:my_dodgy: Not an easy life for people like me.

I can't handle milk either (or rather my stomach can't). I drink Lactaid and it's been nothing but a blessing. I, too, tend to do well with cheese but sometimes yogurts can get to me, too. I thought it just meant that I was sensitive to large amounts of lactose, I didn't realize that I seem to actually be lactose intolerant, too. The things you learn here on FJ. (I've said it before but I love you guys :D) 

8 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I have lived all over the country and find that healthy foods are available basically everywhere.  They may look different (particularly which veggies are there) and particular items may be hard to find (my local stores don't do kosher, well one does but that's it) but there are options.  Now if your going to the closest one only, in a very rural area you may have a harder time.  Personally I don't believe many people shop at those stores for their main supplies.  Instead they use it for the emergency oops need more flour type things.  They drive further for their weekly shopping, and those stores have more options.  

this is true but only to a small extent.  my city has done several studies on its urban areas and many of them have been labelled food deserts:  the population is disproportionately poor and do not have cars, there are no large supermarkets in these neighborhoods, and most residents do their shopping at corner stores.  

the problem with corner stores is that prices are higher (the store has no warehouse space and can't buy in the same kind of bulk as a supermarket), and they stock very few perishables--dairy, yes, but produce, not so much if at all.  so few of these stores carry produce that last week, the local paper ran a story to say that two (TWO!) corner stores have begun to stock produce.

and sure, you can always take a bus to a supermarket, but let's face it, these stores are not pedestrian-friendly.  crossing the entire parking lot from street to door can be a little dangerous during prime hours, and then you have to get your purchases home.  if you can spare the money, you can buy a wheeled cart, but you still have to haul it through the store, and then get it up and down the bus steps.  if the bus is crowded, good luck finding space.  if it's hot out, anything you bought that came out of a cooler or freezer is at risk of spoiling, unless you're lucky enough to have an insulated bag.  hopefully, you'll get out of the store and across the lot and not see your bus pulling away.  but if you can't afford the wheelie cart, you'll have at least one of your kids with you (carrying bags) to keep you company.  i will let you  imagine what it's like carrying seven or eight bags onto a public bus, with or without your kids.  the ride home could be half an hour or more, and then you still have to carry everything from the bus stop to your house.  the weather will make the entire trip all kinds of interesting.

this is why so many people in these neighborhoods stick with the corner stores (and the rest of us are grateful for our cars with trunk space).  but even that has issues for some families.  about 10-12 years ago, there was a house fire here, and there were four kids alone and trapped in the house.  where was mom?  she had taken her three oldest (strongest) kids grocery shopping and needed them to help carry bags home.  she had no baby-sitting options that day, but desperately needed to go shopping, so she took a gamble and lost.  (yes she had seven kids, but let's leave that topic alone.)

my rambling and tangential point is that places without healthy options are more common than we might realize, and it has little to do with geography.  while healthy food can be found, it's still not truly everywhere.  for many people, the closest store really is the only option, even if it's a local deli.  and i'm not excusing the Duggars; if they can drive to Walmart (and apparently they do), they have access to healthy food.

12 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I may have muddied the waters- I called josie's intolerance an allergy- because jchelle did. I have NO idea which one she has. I'm suspicious that it's a true casein allergy, because if it was lactose intolerance there was no reason jchelle couldn't have kept nursing her and taken lactose out of her diet.  I believe mom's breastmilk is safe then? or am I wrong about that?  I'm lactose intolerant, but not casein allergic.  Normally I can handle cheese and yogurt, and icecream if i don't mind the stomach issues and gas after. I really like icecream, sometimes it's worth it to me, as my intolerance isn't huge.  But with this pregnancy I can't handle cheese almost at all, especially before bed. 

There are several reasons they could just be ignoring her milk issues:

1) she's outgrown an intolerance

2) since she's not depending on milk for 100% of her food needs, the small amounts of dairy she gets don't cause huge issues, so they ignore any symptoms she might get from it

3) they ignore it, like they ignore almost everything other medical advice given. justified with jebus

4) jana is too tired to tell josie no to pizza any more, or anything else. just too run down to deal with that fight, so she gives in

5) it could actually be a dairy free version, assuming we didn't see the package (i HIGHLY doubt this, have you ever grocery shopped in the south? at least in the piggly wiggly type of store, it reminds of me more of a overgrown gas station. They probably have little access to alternative dairy. And since it's pricey i doubt they splurge. These people rarely buy grapes because "expensive")

ETA: she never had an anaphylactic reaction to breast milk. She was having severe digestive issues, and not putting on weight at all.  

And yes, she was mostly getting previously pumped milk from jchelle, it's possible they switched to formula because jchelle didn't want to change diet and keep nursing. 

FWIW, my son has true casein allergy, and I never stopped any dairy, nursed for four years.

I was listening to NPR about the Zika Virus. They are even saying there could be a link between men who are infected and go on to impregnate women. As in, men who are infected impregnate a woman and that woman's baby is at risk for these birth defects. They said it wasn't totally proven (I think) but for everyone to be careful anyway.

9 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

That's a typical Duggar recipe:  Slop something together with phony cheese (Velveeta is NOT a dairy product) and canned soup.

You are exaggerating, right?   I hate Velveeta, but it is a dairy product-- it is mostly cow's milk and milk fat. The problem is that after it has been processed long enough, it tastes like salted plastic.

11 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Can I just show my appreciation for the fact that there is a supermarket chain in this world called Piggly Wiggly

I was thinking the same thing! Please tell me that they have some type of amazingly adorable shopping carts.

On the milk issue, Come on Duggars!!! How much intolerance must you generate???

All this talk of Piggly Wiggly reminds me of when my ex wife her sister and my stepdaughter headed to Orlando and our car broke down in Macon Georgia (blown head gasket) and we abandoned it in the back of a Piggly Wiggly there...ahhh good times. :my_biggrin:

56 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

All this talk of Piggly Wiggly reminds me of when my ex wife her sister and my stepdaughter headed to Orlando and our car broke down in Macon Georgia (blown head gasket) and we abandoned it in the back of a Piggly Wiggly there...ahhh good times. :my_biggrin:

Pauly P, that would make an awesome country song!  :D

6 hours ago, catlady said:

this is true but only to a small extent.  my city has done several studies on its urban areas and many of them have been labelled food deserts:  the population is disproportionately poor and do not have cars, there are no large supermarkets in these neighborhoods, and most residents do their shopping at corner stores.  

the problem with corner stores is that prices are higher (the store has no warehouse space and can't buy in the same kind of bulk as a supermarket), and they stock very few perishables--dairy, yes, but produce, not so much if at all.  so few of these stores carry produce that last week, the local paper ran a story to say that two (TWO!) corner stores have begun to stock produce.

and sure, you can always take a bus to a supermarket, but let's face it, these stores are not pedestrian-friendly.  crossing the entire parking lot from street to door can be a little dangerous during prime hours, and then you have to get your purchases home.  if you can spare the money, you can buy a wheeled cart, but you still have to haul it through the store, and then get it up and down the bus steps.  if the bus is crowded, good luck finding space.  if it's hot out, anything you bought that came out of a cooler or freezer is at risk of spoiling, unless you're lucky enough to have an insulated bag.  hopefully, you'll get out of the store and across the lot and not see your bus pulling away.  but if you can't afford the wheelie cart, you'll have at least one of your kids with you (carrying bags) to keep you company.  i will let you  imagine what it's like carrying seven or eight bags onto a public bus, with or without your kids.  the ride home could be half an hour or more, and then you still have to carry everything from the bus stop to your house.  the weather will make the entire trip all kinds of interesting.

this is why so many people in these neighborhoods stick with the corner stores (and the rest of us are grateful for our cars with trunk space).  but even that has issues for some families.  about 10-12 years ago, there was a house fire here, and there were four kids alone and trapped in the house.  where was mom?  she had taken her three oldest (strongest) kids grocery shopping and needed them to help carry bags home.  she had no baby-sitting options that day, but desperately needed to go shopping, so she took a gamble and lost.  (yes she had seven kids, but let's leave that topic alone.)

my rambling and tangential point is that places without healthy options are more common than we might realize, and it has little to do with geography.  while healthy food can be found, it's still not truly everywhere.  for many people, the closest store really is the only option, even if it's a local deli.  and i'm not excusing the Duggars; if they can drive to Walmart (and apparently they do), they have access to healthy food.

Thanks for taking the time to really explicate the issue! I don't live in the US, so most corner stores here do have basic produce (apples, lettuce, potatoes, onions, etc.), and even fancier stuff like leeks and mushrooms, but it is so incredibly expensive. Also, we don't have a car (big city). When we were both unemployed a few years ago for about 6 months and couldn't afford to waste a penny, we'd plan out grocery runs like ninjas. Our grocery shopping process was exactly as you described. One or both of us would go to the big hypermarket that's a bit out of town and had the cheapest food and produce, a 35 min bus ride away. We'd walk down the side of the highway with our two shopping carts and freezer bags, race through the store so that we could get the bus that came past before our timed bus tickets expired, trudge up the exit ramp with our carts and bags and hopefully didn't miss the bus. On several occasions, my husband saw the bus coming, sprinted up there with the freezer bag and his cart and begged the bus driver to wait as I huffed and puffed up that massive hill. Then, we still had to walk it back to our place and hump it up four flights of stairs! We found other solutions too, like going through every ethnic market and store we could find to get staples like beans and rice, plus some really great finds, like 5 pomegranates for one euro or 25kg potatoes for 10 euros. But, it took so much work and energy, and it's really hard to constantly deny yourself treats when you're walking through all these grocery stores! 

Now, we have bus passes and can afford to go shopping when we want to and spend a bit more if need be on in-city supermarkets and corner stores. But, when we were living on that knife's edge of unemployment, it was really scary how quickly it could throw our budget out of whack if we bought a few things here and there from a corner store.  Since we were both young, healthy, and childless, we had tons of food-sourcing advantages compared to the elderly, ill, or families with young children. No idea how we would have hacked it with a kid or two in tow!

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

You are exaggerating, right?   I hate Velveeta, but it is a dairy product-- it is mostly cow's milk and milk fat. The problem is that after it has been processed long enough, it tastes like salted plastic.

Velveeta isn’t actually cheese.  According to the FDA’s rules, Velveeta doesn’t qualify as dairy. 

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=133&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:2.0.1.1.22.2

14 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

I'm sure this information has been posted, but the headine is a rather...large blanket statement! I'm sure it will be ignored in certain quarters, because Jeebus. (And how the hell are women in some of these.countries with limited access to contraception supposed to accomplish this??!)

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/01/25/women-asked-avoid-pregnancy-zika-virus-spreads/79305676/

abstinence, unless your Bible tells you this is a bad idea. In which case you pray, pray and pray some more that Durex will supply unlimited free condoms for two years

9 hours ago, catlady said:

You also have to hope that your bus driver will let you on with lots of groceries. I used to do a weekly shop for 6 adults once a month (the others did it the other times). I used a bus. I had a bus driver refuse to let me on because the rules stated people with excess baggage could be refused or asked to pay (a massive) surcharge. The bus didn't even have other passengers that I would have annoyed :( But carrying 7 bags on a bus was always a hassle (and that's without the handles breaking). It did get me good muscles though and I was lucky to live very close to the busstop. Having to do that every week - no thanks.

On 1/24/2016 at 1:58 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Lactose intolerance and milk allergy are not the same thing at all.  I am lactose intolerant and can consume a certain amount of dairy without symptoms and some things like cheese and yogurt don't set off the symptoms.  A milk allergy would mean that I would react to almost any amount of dairy in almost any form and with an identifiable allergic reaction.

Lactose intolerance can also change over time and improve or get worse.

Thus ends the PSA for the morning. :) 

Thank you! As someone with a milk allergy I'm forever having to explain this. Regarding Josie's lactose intolerance as a baby, I know women who just stopped eating dairy products while nursing their babies who where either allergic or intolerant. Seemed to work for them and the babies 

17 hours ago, halcionne said:

I noticed this thread was hot and read four pages to see what was hot about it. Meh. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Food deserts are a real thing, and not just in the South. http://www.ers.usda.gov/FoodAtlas/
  2. The Duggars were poor for so long that they may have never changed their eating habits after their income improved, meaning it never occured to them that there's a Whole Foods nearby (for instance), or that it's worth spending $3 on soymilk for Josie if regular milk only costs $1. Poor and formerly poor people have food issues; ask me how I know. It's a bit classist to assume anyone who wants or needs special foods in the United States can just go out and buy them. Yes, the Duggars should know better, and I'm sure Josie's doctors advised JB&M about her dietary needs. Yes, they can afford to buy the foods she needs. Yes, the Duggars just suck in general. This topic hits close to home and I've probably read too much into it.
  3. Izzy was seven months old in the most recent swaddling pictures, not eight or nine. There's no need to exaggerate the facts on this; swaddling a large, distressed 7 month old is disturbing enough as it is.
  4. Josh was 14 when the documented molestations occured, not 15. Again, I feel it's important to be accurate here.
  5. Josie looks very much like Michelle and very much like a preemie. She also has Garrett Ruark's eyes, as do Jinger, John David, Josh, and maybe other Duggarlings. I realize that 'funny looking kid' is a term used by medical professionals when they aren't sure what kind of problems a kid has, but we generally DO know what's wrong with Josie: she was a micro-preemie.

Sorry, I really don't pay attention to other kids ages- even personal friends. I have to do math to remember my own.  (that IS not an exaggeration, either :( )  My daughter is 3.5  actually, I think she was 3.5 a few months ago? I just remember her birthday. I have to use an app to remember what week of pregnancy i'm in.   To be honest, a 7 month old could be one who just turned seven months, or is seven months and 3.5 weeks. So I could've been close.  Either way, most parents are advised to stop swaddling at 3 months, if not before. And it's not used as discipline or with an upset baby.  I just don't understand what she was attempting to do there, at all.

17 hours ago, Hera said:

My soul just died a little.  

I'm sorry. I did not mean to be responsible for that.

16 hours ago, Dandruff said:

AFAIC, if there's even a chance that Jilly Muffin is pregnant or going to become pregnant soon, they should get the hell out of there.  Why put a child at unnecessary risk?

I hope that Jill has bonded well with Israel.  I also hope she didn't mean what she said (on TV) about planning the same protections for her children as her parents did because of Josh.  Most male babies don't grow up to become child molesters, and shouldn't be treated as though it may happen without planned intervention.  That bothered me more than just about anything I've heard her say.

That comment just showed me that she really is having issues with the molestation stuff. Either in the capacity of trying to prevent it and feels like she can't  unless she does the same as her parents, or is still dealing with it regarding herself.

6 minutes ago, karen77 said:

That comment just showed me that she really is having issues with the molestation stuff. Either in the capacity of trying to prevent it and feels like she can't  unless she does the same as her parents, or is still dealing with it regarding herself.

well if that is true i hope she is getting some help and i give her props for being able to get married and perhaps the pregnancy and labour brought up something 

maybe we are overthinking this a bit - maybe the reason she is not pregnant is because her and Derick never had sex again because she emotionally can't 

and i am being serious - it would explain a lot 

17 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Just as a point of interest, the modern supermarket, where you get the stuff yourself instead of asking the clerk, was pioneered by Piggly Wiggly.

And even gas stations in the South will often carry soy milk.

The Piggly Wiggly interactive grocery exhibit in the Pink Palace in Memphis (former home of the founder of Piggly Wiggly) is pretty cool.  

There are no PWs around here, and the ones in my hometown got bought out by a local grocery chain in the 80's, but it's definitely not a subpar operation.  

Is it common for the South to get kind of bashed in this forum?  I've noticed a few comments that got my dander up, but I chalked it up to being too sensitive.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived