IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

52 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I think work humor is okay, but I do think sometimes those terms can be offensive. I know I've talked to several ER nurses who say nurses often have really bad attitudes about having to treat "gomers," and often patients do notice that. One of them said she used to feel that way herself until she started having anxiety attacks that were so frightening she went to the ER and she realized she had become one of those "gomers" that the staff dismiss.

I think everyone who has been through mental health treatment in a hospital for very long has stories of staff saying really awful and/or unprofessional things. I know no one will always be at their best, but when you're a patient you're typically feeling very vulnerable and those comments can really stick with you. I know the first time I was in the hospital one nurse said some things to me that she really should have kept to herself, and after that I avoided treatment for years because I was scared of having another judgmental nurse.

On the plus side, having had some bad nurses makes me appreciate all the good nurses (and doctors, but realistically nurses have a bigger impact on your experience) even more. They're human and probably don't always feel like being nice, but just being treated courteously can also mean a lot when you're that vulnerable.

I was treated as a "gomer" once when in reality I was having a very serious issue that needed immediate surgery. Was treated so horribly by one nurse in particular that it turned was already a very scary and painful situation into a nightmare. The idea that I could be brushed off so easily really shocked me as well. It definitely stayed with me and in fact just switched internists because he was giving me those same vibes.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Catey said:

Not at all, I am intrigued by the name. I shop at Metro, given the option of a Piggly Wiggly which seems more fun to you?

Again I will not google this and ruin my fantasy but I see a brightly coloured store with popcorn machines, and cashiers dressed as teddy bears. It just makes my poor Metro seem so bland.

Ahhh, Piggly Wiggly. I'm from the West Coast (USA), but for one year as a preteen I lived in the South with my grandparents and was totally perplexed by this place; never before have I seen a grocery store that actually sold its own merchandise - t-shirts and all. It took awhile for my grandfather to get used to it, too; he used to call it the Oinky Poinky entirely by mistake, hahaha.

This thread has turned into an emotional roller coaster for me. It goes towards the Zika virus and I go, Nooooo! And then it goes towards Piggly Wiggly and I go, Weeeeee!

40 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

This thread has turned into an emotional roller coaster for me. It goes towards the Zika virus and I go, Nooooo! And then it goes towards Piggly Wiggly and I go, Weeeeee!

Me, every time I haven't been on FJ for a couple of days and read through all the posts to catch up. It's emotionally exhausting, isn't it? haha

16 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

The Piggly Wiggly interactive grocery exhibit in the Pink Palace in Memphis (former home of the founder of Piggly Wiggly) is pretty cool.  

There are no PWs around here, and the ones in my hometown got bought out by a local grocery chain in the 80's, but it's definitely not a subpar operation.  

Is it common for the South to get kind of bashed in this forum?  I've noticed a few comments that got my dander up, but I chalked it up to being too sensitive.  

Agree about the Piggly Wiggly exhibit at the Pink Palace.  We were there more than 15 years ago and I still remember it.

This is a snarking forum and at one point or another just about everything gets discussed with scorn.  But it is too bad when negative stereotypes get treated as gospel.  There are actually a lot of Southerners here.

The first time I heard "Piggly Wiggly" was in the movie Steel Magnolias. I love that movie, so all the mentions of Piggly Wiggly here make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

"I am pleasant! Damn it! I saw Drum Eatonton at the Piggly Wiggly the other day and I SMILED at the sonofabitch, I couldn't help myself."

@lascuba, Steel Magnolias is on the TCM schedule for February as part of 31 Days of Oscar.  It will air on Saturday evening, February 13, at 8PM.

14 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

And then it goes towards Piggly Wiggly and I go, Weeeeee!

Whenever I visit Nashville, I always make the trek over to the Piggly Wiggly on West End (with my Piggly Wiggly tote bags).  I am so tempted to buy one of the t-shirts.  Maybe next time.

On 1/26/2016 at 10:10 AM, QuiverDance said:

The Piggly Wiggly interactive grocery exhibit in the Pink Palace in Memphis (former home of the founder of Piggly Wiggly) is pretty cool.  

There are no PWs around here, and the ones in my hometown got bought out by a local grocery chain in the 80's, but it's definitely not a subpar operation.  

Is it common for the South to get kind of bashed in this forum?  I've noticed a few comments that got my dander up, but I chalked it up to being too sensitive.  

it's irritatingly common, and not just on this forum (though it's astonishingly prevalent here). Somehow it doesn't seem to matter that the South is a diverse region (like all the rest of the regions of this country). We all get lumped into a homogeneous blob of tobacco chewing, conservative voting, cousin marrying weirdos. 

Oh, and I hate going to Piggly Wiggly. I usually shop at Publix, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, or a local, family owned store called Foodland.

13 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

it's irritatingly common, and not just on this forum (though it's astonishingly prevalent here). Somehow it doesn't seem to matter that the South is a diverse region (like all the rest of the regions of this country). We all get lumped into a homogeneous blob of tobacco chewing, conservative voting, cousin marrying weirdos

Oh, and I hate going to Piggly Wiggly. I usually shop at Publix, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, or a local, family owned store called Foodland.

Don't forget gun-toting! :my_shy:

15 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I freaking love Publix.  I swear I'm in there at least 4-5 times a week.  Best grocery store hands down IMO

My grandmother always called Piggly Wiggly the "Hoggly Woggly". 

How long does Zika last as a possibly transmittable infection?

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Agree about the Piggly Wiggly exhibit at the Pink Palace.  We were there more than 15 years ago and I still remember it.

(snip)

I love Memphis! :) A few years ago my sister and I drove from LA to ATL (one of my favorite vacations ever!) and I was in charge of finding fun stuff for us to do.  I searched online for attractions in Memphis but the Pink Palace and PW exhibit never came up. :( I'm definitely doing that next time! 

We saw the Peabody Hotel's duck parade- I highly recommend it!  :D

After the parade we ate lunch in one of the the restaurants in the Peabody. We just ordered cheeseburgers and fries but the service was incredible.  Our coke bottles came on ice in a champagne bucket.  Our waiter even 'uncorked' them for us. :D

We drove past Graceland on the way to eat some fantastic BBQ.  There was a problem with us getting a tour, I can't remember what it was.  I think they had sold out of tickets that day and we couldn't stay overnight. Something like that.   :(

We headed to Tupelo next to see the king's birthplace.  It was kind of funny, we were looking for the address and we were sure we were in the wrong place.  My sister was driving and she said that the car kind of took over and drove itself to the right spot.  This happened to us once before when we were searching for the Brady Bunch house.  The pull of popular culture is strong, I guess. ;)

It was so cool to see where Elvis came from and what he still means to the people in MS .  Good times. :D

44 minutes ago, wotdancer said:

And, apparently we are all white as well. :my_confused:

I had never really been to the south, I don't think DW really counts, so when my son was stationed in SC, I was quite excited.  I found Charleston to be quite cosmopolitan. Accents very mild. I did fall in love with cheesy grits, which have become a breakfast staple.

I was delighted when a waitress said, "Y'all aren't from around here." Now son is on the west coast, so we'll have to wait to visit again.

1 hour ago, wotdancer said:

I don't know how I could forget guns. We have guns for all occasions, even picnics.

(Side note that I actually know some people who own guns they refer to as their "picnic guns." :pb_rollseyes:)

1 hour ago, bashfulpixie said:

I freaking love Publix.  I swear I'm in there at least 4-5 times a week.  Best grocery store hands down IMO

Publix is great. My mother makes fun of them for saying that shopping there is a "pleasure," but it kind of is. I'm partial to natural foods stores, but I can usually find what I want/need at Publix. It's a shame it's not everywhere. 

@Jucifer, my daughter and her family live near Memphis.  She and her husband had their wedding reception at the Peabody. The food was amazing.  My mother loved seeing the ducks and wanted to go back to see them again, but she did not get a chance because my sister and her husband needed to get back to SC.  My youngest daughter and I were waiting outside for a few minutes for my husband the pick us up after the reception when we saw Elvis!  Or rather an Elvis impersonator.  It was pretty cool.

I'm a Publix lover, too. I love to cook and if I can't find the type of meat I need, I can talk it over w/their butchers.

And often he will ask "what I are you going to do w/that?"

I'm just outside of Atlanta; see my avatar.

<--------

I think Publix is fairly average. Living in FL they are everywhere, but some are better than others.  They are quite consistent, which is good.  I loved when I lived in the midwest and could go to Pick & Save.  Shoot me, but I go to Walmart for groceries usually.  The prices are the best and I usually get a few bucks back each week by submitting my reciept and they automatically compare prices to other stores in my area.

26 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I'm a Publix lover, too. I love to cook and if I can't find the type of meat I need, I can talk it over w/their butchers.

And often he will ask "what I are you going to do w/that?"

I'm just outside of Atlanta; see my avatar.

<--------

Are you in Marietta? :)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived