IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

9 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

And we sure as hell don't act like the faux rednecks on reality tv. Oh, and certain Southern sub-cultures are kind of matriarchal. The men may the breadwinners, but the women run the house. The women are definitely not submissive fundie SAHM.

My domineering paternal grandmother is STILL ruling the roost at nearly 89! She dictated everything my grandfather, father, myself and my brother did for years.  (And still rules my father with an iron fist) She taught my brother that men are the head of the household which he took to heart (however, this is not working out too well for him) and she also claimed she had to ask my grandpa before she made any major decisions. And she did ask him but then she did what she wanted regardless of his opinion.  Bless him, he was a WW II vet that was 100% disabled due to PTSD (or shell shock back in those days) so she managed to keep him doped up and totally compliant with her.  She is so domineering that the poor man died just to get away from her!! I rebelled against her when I was about 10 or 11 and to this day, she despises me because she no longer had control over me.  (Unfortunately we lived right next door to her at her insistence when my parents got married).  Put it this way, my father is 69 years old and still deathly afraid of his now frail nearly 89 year old mother! But that is a story for another day. Lol

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

The stereotypes about Seattle/Pacific NW are pretty true....if you're in the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area!  I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.  Why waste money?), work in tech, drive a Subaru, have a tendency towards elitism in terms of education, trail run, etc. etc.

Whenever Fundies in WA are discussed, there's always the "but Washington is so LIBERAL!", to which as a Washington Native I have to explain that the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area is very liberal AND contains enough voters to generally carry the state.  However, there are large geographic stretches of Washington that are INTENSELY conservative and incredibly prickly about being constantly forgotten about by the wider world.  But I mean, come on.  How are people supposed to know about the demographics of George?  And why should they?  I mean, WE don't even like to talk about the Sand People.  You shouldn't have to either.

Spot on!!! hehe.

The stereotypes about Seattle/Pacific NW are pretty true....if you're in the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area!  I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.  Why waste money?), work in tech, drive a Subaru, have a tendency towards elitism in terms of education, trail run, etc. etc.

Whenever Fundies in WA are discussed, there's always the "but Washington is so LIBERAL!", to which as a Washington Native I have to explain that the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area is very liberal AND contains enough voters to generally carry the state.  However, there are large geographic stretches of Washington that are INTENSELY conservative and incredibly prickly about being constantly forgotten about by the wider world.  But I mean, come on.  How are people supposed to know about the demographics of George?  And why should they?  I mean, WE don't even like to talk about the Sand People.  You shouldn't have to either.

It extends to Portland too! The little blue dot (with another blue dot a bit south for Eugene) in a sea of red. It's just that the red is full of nonresidential land and the residential parts offer lots of personal space. Meanwhile Portland is trying to get away with smaller and smaller places being passed off as "micro-units." Thus Oregon always votes blue, because that's where the people are.

The blue dots in a sea of red describes NJ pretty well. Outside of the populated urban centers you get either the rich, "fuck you, got mine" Wall Street people or the confederate flag waving type of conservatives.

The issues of zika is being ramped up in the news..CNN at least and last night on NBC. A real   tragedy of very large proportions. And then Flint, Michigan. 

Already the 4,000 births in Brazil. So very sad. It really is wise and prudent not to get pregnant. 

On January 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM, lascuba said:

The first time I heard "Piggly Wiggly" was in the movie Steel Magnolias. I love that movie, so all the mentions of Piggly Wiggly here make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

"I am pleasant! Damn it! I saw Drum Eatonton at the Piggly Wiggly the other day and I SMILED at the sonofabitch, I couldn't help myself."

One of my all time favorite movies.  I can quote it all day long. My personal fave "I'm not crazy, M'Lynn. I've just been in a bad mood for forty years!"

4 hours ago, paganhomeschooler said:

Memphis has got to be one of the coolest places ever.  My hubby and I took our "honeymoon" there 2 years ago.  (We'll be married for 15 years in August, but we could never afford a honeymoon.)  I didn't see anything about the Pink Palace when we were looking for things to do, either.  We had talked about going to Vegas, but it was SO expensive.  Then, he suggested taking me to Graceland.  I'm a HUGE Elvis fan and had dreamt of going since I was a little girl.  We did the VIP tour.  SOOO cool!  We didn't make it to Tupelo, but we did go to the Crossroads and ate at Morgan Freedman's restaurant, the Ground Zero Blues Club.  AWESOME food and a very cool place.  

The Peabody ducks were so fun!  We saw them, too.  We also rode the trolley.  We went to Sun Studio and the Gibson guitar factory.  We did Beale Street.  We also went to Nashville and did the Ryman and the Johnny Cash museum, the American Pickers store.  We had SO much fun.  I'd love to go back.  

Ground Zero is awesome! I hope you wrote your name on the wall or somewhere.  I went there twice and saw Morgan Freeman there once. 

There is a new post about the virus on the Duggar family "fan" blog. 

Link: http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2016/01/zika-virus-hits-central-america.html

For the time being, Jill and Derick Dillard wish to keep their location confidential, but please keep their little family, as well as others in Central and South America, in your prayers as they serve in regions where Zika is present.

I hate the assumption that people who live in mobile homes are "trashy". They are not.

41 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.

So true.  I split my time between the Seattle area and Tennessee, and when in Tennessee my PNW clothing makes me stand out in the crowd.  Over the years I am adapting, so now I look like a tourist in both locales.

Just now, RosyDaisy said:

I hate the assumption that people who live in mobile homes are "trashy". They are not.

I agree. I lived in an extremely nice mobile home for years. My starter husband and I bought it when we first married and after that disaster ended a mere 23 months later, I kept the trailer and lived there up until last May.  It was all we could afford at the time we married and my family gave us land to put it on.  

Why are they keeping their location secret? It's not like even the leg humpers are going to rush down there and gawk. It's good that they know about the virus, though.

51 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

he stereotypes about Seattle/Pacific NW are pretty true....if you're in the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area!  I'm addicted to coffee, very happy plaid is back in, tend to dress casually (seriously though the rain will RUIN your nice clothes.  Why waste money?), work in tech, drive a Subaru, have a tendency towards elitism in terms of education, trail run, etc. etc.

Ah, but do you wear socks under your sandals?

And, of course, you definitely don't carry an umbrella, because we just don't do that here ;-)

I'm the rare PNW resident who doesn't drink coffee. When I was in college (in the PNW, where I grew up) the fad was tea. Coffee was just starting and I left before it happened.

Now, in my home town of <8000 people, there are nine coffee stands of varying sizes. My English and Canadian in-laws are fascinated by the "Wendy house" coffee places. I'm always surprised not to find them elsewhere because they are so ubiquitous here!

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why are they keeping their location secret? It's not like even the leg humpers are going to rush down there and gawk. It's good that they know about the virus, though.

Too make it more mysterious? Idk, I think that makes it more interesting. Any publicity is good. And well, paparazzi have to money to fly to were they are. (No idea if they are really that interesting, hard to judge from here.)

But, did we not find out where they are based on pictures? So it is not unknown... 

On 1/27/2016 at 7:31 PM, calimojo said:

I would hope as missionaries that Jerick would be distributing mosquito spray and mosquito netting, and other mosquito interventions to those who can't afford it.  They could be going house to house looking for standing water or other evidence of mosquito breeding,  they could be educating on how to avoid being bitten, passing out citronella candles or bug zappers or something. 

This would detract from their all important work of explaining about Jesus to Catholics.

13 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

But, did we not find out where they are based on pictures? So it is not unknown... 

They may have moved to do some 'real mission work' for SOS seeing as they were commissioned for them.

It is also possible that Derick has said to Jill that he doesn't want another TV show, that he is sick of living in the public eye and that as headship he is claiming privacy for their family in Jesus name. One may dream right?

30 minutes ago, AlysonRR said:

Ah, but do you wear socks under your sandals?

And, of course, you definitely don't carry an umbrella, because we just don't do that here ;-)

I'm the rare PNW resident who doesn't drink coffee. When I was in college (in the PNW, where I grew up) the fad was tea. Coffee was just starting and I left before it happened.

Now, in my home town of <8000 people, there are nine coffee stands of varying sizes. My English and Canadian in-laws are fascinated by the "Wendy house" coffee places. I'm always surprised not to find them elsewhere because they are so ubiquitous here!

I only wear socks under my sandals on rare occasions, I prefer to be barefoot, really.

Don't drink coffee, but m y DH is an avid drinker (I heart tea).

I am really going to stop reading this thread. As a Canadian y'all are ruining all my American stereotypes in rapid succession.

Do people hate on the south? From what I have seen of it, SE not SW it is pretty cool, the cities are okay, not much different than a city anywhere, but the people were really nice on a whole. I mean go out of your way to help the silly stranded Canadians nice. We do spend almost a month each year in Sarasota. Other than the obvious (weather/beaches/food) it is not all that different than home. There are nice people, there are pompous people and there are all variations in-between.

I live in Toronto, I am very much a city girl. I know that there are places "up north" where people have trailers but the majority of it is a camping thing. Cold here in the winter! When I was a younger gal starting out I would have LOVED it if there was an option to buy/live in a trailer. It would have been great instead of paying over $1000 a month to live in a tiny cube in the sky.

I really want to visit the San Fran/Seattle/Portland/Cal west coast area in the next few years. I have some good friends there and it looks amazing. 

On 1/26/2016 at 4:11 PM, goldfishgoddess said:

I'm not kidding~  CNN just reported that one of the first cases of ZIKA virus was found in Arkansas.  And, they are suspecting that Zika is sexually transmitted as well as  by mosquitoes.  They have found the virus in semen.

What is Jillie going to do?  There is no safe place now to procreate her "tons of kids."

And what will churches do regarding contraception and preventing this terrible disease?

Starting to think Zika is mother nature's way of stopping the spread of the Duggars.

1 hour ago, Gobbles said:

Too make it more mysterious? Idk, I think that makes it more interesting. Any publicity is good. And well, paparazzi have to money to fly to were they are. (No idea if they are really that interesting, hard to judge from here.)

Maybe they are filming and want to save details for the show. On another note, this would be an incredible opportunity for Jill to educate herself and thr El Salvadorans about birth control. Maybe Jesus could lay it on her heart.

I have to say I love stereotypes as a jokey ha ha thing like ribbing your (Internet ) friends. I don't think anyone really believes the stereotypes are 100% true.  Like any place in the world there are probably some folks in the south who fit one or all of the stereotypes, but the total is probably 3, maybe 5 in Alabama (JOKE, JOKE!). I just see it as good natured ribbing. 

There are stereotypes on local levels, from town to town, regional levels, different parts of a state or a small group of states, larger regions, north south east west of a country, and then from one country to another.  I think sometimes we take things a little too personally and assume the folks making the stereotype comments aren't saying them tongue in cheek. 

Perhaps I am naive, but this is the way I see this subject. I am a northern new englander, born and inbred. And I do have a Subaru. And yes, I still live where my ancestors arrived 280ish years ago.  Also I do have a tendency to say ayup from time to time.

1 hour ago, Catey said:

Do people hate on the south? . 

I don't hate the South, I've visted many wonderful cities there, but I do get annoyed with the excuses people make because "Oh, it' just The South." Like the Confederate flag being "Southern pride" or "Ain't Got None is a Southern saying" even though it's completely butchering the English language.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maybe they left and are back in Arkansas. Oh how I wish they didn't make their flights private! Maybe since the Great Shielding JD has flown down south to pick them up from an international flight and we just don't know.

If you want a taste is Southern-isms, check out the you tube channel Sh$t Southern Women Say. It is hysterical to me as a born and Bred Southern girl.  I have watched them over and over and practically cry every time from laughter.  And Yes, I have said just about every phrase they use. It is videos made by real Southern women stating  phrases that real Southern women use from time to time. And yes, it is snark worthy to most people outside of the south and totally true for most Southern girls whether they choose to admit it or not.  My personal favorite: hey y'all, how's ya mommanem? I think of these videos as a female version of Jeff Foxworthy's you might be a redneck. 

Piggly Wiggly NEWS!  Because I know you are all dying for it!  I realized yesterday that I have been driving past a Piggly Wiggly grocery on West End Blvd in Nashville every day for two years without realizing it.  That is how tight I am with Publix.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived